Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on September 13, 2008
I was searching for an attractive replacement for my previous bathroom light/fan combo that had a decidedly utilitarian look. I found that Hunter makes the best selection of decorative light/fan units, and this one has the most powerful fan of all the ones they offer. I was concerned that the fan might be too loud, but I got this one anyway because I needed a fan that would really move air well since we were having trouble with condensation and mildew in the bathroom. I was pleased to find that noise is not a problem at all. The fan is actually quieter than my old fan, and it is much more powerful. When I am in the bathroom I can hear it running, but it is not loud enough to be bothersome. Outside in the hallway, I don't notice the sound. It does its job of drying out the bathroom after a shower very well.

I have two relatively minor points of criticism. (1) When the light is on, you can clearly see the shadows of brackets and other internal parts of the fan through the glass band that runs along the side of the unit. This is not aesthetically pleasing. Perhaps if the side glass was thicker, the shadows would have a fuzzier, more diffuse appearance and would be less noticeable. (2) We were not able to use the nightlight function because we only have two switches on the wall and we didn't want to run new wiring in the bathroom. Rarely do I see a bathroom with three wall switches, so I suspect others may find this to be a problem as well. We could have chosen to wire the nightlight so that it would come on with either the fan or the main light, but it was hard to see what the benefit of that would be. A nice addition would be an electronic eye that turns the nightlight on when the room is dark.
on March 10, 2013
We are on our third Hunter "Riazzi" fan. The electrical and mechanical parts work fine, are reliable, are reasonably quiet, and remove water vapor effectively. Why the 2 stars then? They rust horribly, completely, and in surprisingly little time (see attached pic). These things are the worst. The motor itself and it's housing- they do not rust at all- it's the part of the unit that is connected to the ceiling. If it's made of metal- it's rust-coated (yet elegant) brushed nickel. The only reason I am on my 3rd one is because Hunter graciously continues to send us replacement units even though their warranty does NOT cover rust. I actually went out and purchased a different brand fan, (I'll have Titanic-esque "rusticles" hanging from this thing in another month or two) but the motor unit that mounts into the ceiling was smaller than the one in the Hunter Riazzi unit currently installed, and I didn't want to have to figure out a way to make the opening in the ceiling smaller.)

We do not live near the ocean where it might see salt air. It is not installed outside, in some sort of makeshift shed, or in an environment where it would see moisture all of the time. It's a bathroom fan for goodness sakes. It was installed by a licensed contractor, It's installed correctly, and vented to the outside of my house through the attic (and there's no issues with the short tube that carries the vapor away to a vent in the soffit). It sees 20 minutes of moisture a day. It's supposed to see moisture, right? The fact that these things rust at all, let alone so quickly, is awful.

Hunter customer service was nice, and they thus far have always offered me a replacement unit (which is great and all). I always request a rust-proofed version, or a different model (I don't care what it looks like, as long as it doesn't rust in 3 months) but Hunter customer service was not able to tell me which of their other fans use the same motor "squirrel cage" (motor housing size- which is surprising and disappointing). I sent the picture that is attached to Hunter customer service, and they didn't seem to care. You'd think that this kind of problem might make its way to their engineering department.

All those who have given this unit glowing reviews- take the cover off (like you were changing a light bulb) and tell me what you see.

For the record- I have never written a review for any product here on Amazon- or any other site. I am just trying to save someone the hassle of dealing with this poorly-designed product.
on August 10, 2012
I chose this fan/light for our bathroom b/c I like the design and it's energy-star compliant. It's got a nice modern look and provides fairly bright light since it uses two bulbs (not included). To most people it looks just like a light, not a standard (sorta ugly) grated-ceiling fan so it's a bonus that it's a powerful fan as well. Our bathroom is medium sized but has a really high lofted ceiling that opens up into our bedroom so the power of it is great. It draws in a lot of air but is pretty quiet which is nice. It has a nightlight feature which we haven't used yet b/c we still need to buy a nightlight bulb.
A helpful note...I could not find the dimensions of the actual fan before I bought it but I read in another review that it was larger than they expected. I agree! I still really like it and b/c our ceiling is so high, it doesn't look too big for the room but it would look too big in a small bathroom. It's 15 inches in diameter.
In another review (possibly of a different Hunter fan), the person wrote that they chose a lesser-powered fan b/c they didn't want wind blowing on them. But I'm not sure how that was possible b/c the fan sucks in air up at ceiling level. We placed the fan on the 12 ft ceiling right over our shower and that isn't an issue at all.
Overall this is a powerful fan that (hopefully) uses less energy and looks great! Highly recommended!
review image review image
on May 27, 2010
Fan is solid and easy to install. Works well and is reasonably quite. My only complaint is the frosted glass limits the light output. Very nice looking.
on October 8, 2012
This fan has alow profile, very quiet operation, yet adequate volume to easily handle the bathroom with a large shower. Installation was straightforward except for the instruction to install a cable restraint in the inlet box. This cannot be done with the light fixture overhead unless you have a third arm. It is is a nice-looking unit with good light output.
on January 13, 2014
Just had the company replace the motor for the second time making this the third motor. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before this one starts knocking around as well. SOOOO frustrating! For people worrying about the logo in the middle, you can't see it unless you're looking for it and if you have the same luck with it that we did, the logo will be the least of your worries.
on January 4, 2012
It has the quietest exhaust fan ever. Sheds soft light. I think it is good for illuminating 100 square feet area. Has a good finish, easy to install, easy to change bulb. Has a night bulb option too. I highly recommend this product.
on December 24, 2012
The product seems sturdy & manufactured well; the last fan I installed was a different model & the motor started making noise in that one after 3 months. This one - so far , so good. I had to do some "creative engineering" to install this one in a pre-existing situation - it wasn't easy, by any means! Probably took an hour longer than the published time. Be prepared - do some CAREFUL measuring first with the motor housing box before you start cutting holes in your ceiling!! When finished - sure looks great!
on November 9, 2013
After six months' use there is a noise while fan is turning off. I think the baring assembly may be to blame. Will update once I have chance to open the housing and look.

As promised here is the update:
Noise appeared to be coming from loose bolt accessory on the lamp holder that vibrated while fan was turning off. I initially could not figure it out until I decided to change to LED bulb and when opened the case I realized of the loose screws and noise has gone away.

I have updated ratings from 4 to 5.
on February 21, 2013
Our old bathroom fan was loud and barely moved any moisture but it finally gave up after many years and I had no idea how hard it was going to be to replace it. Of course with existing electrical and HVAC pipes in place, this fan had to have everything on the exact opposite side as our existing connections were so I hired an electrician to extend the wiring and then expected to have to figure out some way to put an elbow or some kind of gentle bend into the rigid exhaust, but luckily Hunter did design this with some actual forethought and allows you to remove the exhaust connector from the fan housing, this enabled us to hook up the existing exhaust and then slide the whole thing back onto the housing, saving us some serious headache. Of course attic access was required for this, so be prepared to get dirty.

My only real complaint with the installation is getting the fan back into the housing once the housing is mounted in the ceiling. They used what I refer to as rack mount screw holes because we use them a lot in I.T. and they are usually easy to deal with, but not in an overhead situation where you can't tell if the holes are actually lined up. Other than that, everything else was fairly straightforward and their directions are top notch. If only all directions were that well illustrated and written.

As far as fan performance goes, we have a small bathroom. There is still some fog on my mirror but I will admit less than the old fan allowed and I don't see much in the way of moisture on the walls so it does perform better than what we have had. It is quieter which is a good thing overall, but I will admit that I kind of liked having a louder fan in the bathroom, it gives you the illusion of privacy. But I won't ding this for being quiet, since that is what most people like anyway.

I guess my reason for only giving 4 stars is because of 2 things. 1) They do not mention or show in the pictures that there is a HUNTER logo in the middle of the glass. It's not very noticeable but it is there and I think that should have been more apparent in the product description. 2) In the pictures, the glass looks frosted white, and certainly when you take it out of the box it does as well. But once you get it installed and light it up with standard cfl bulbs, it is more of a yellow tint. We have frosted white lights over the vanity and it looked like this would match right up with it, but it does not when turned on. Kind of a bummer but we'll get used to it because I do NOT want to go through the process of putting another bath fan up for a loooong time if I can help it!

UPDATE: We bought this fan in February 2013. By June this fan was starting to make a vibration type noise during starts and stops. I finally broke down and got the ladder and took everything apart to see what was causing it but am as of yet unable to tell. I am about to find out how good the 5 year motor warranty is because I believe its the motor making this noise. I see no rust or anything so it's hard to figure out what the cause is without taking the motor apart, but since it's under warranty, that is not happening. I'm taking 2 stars away for this. A fan should not start out nice and quiet and only be that way for less than 5 months. It literally sounds as bad as the fan we replaced which started to make the same noises after 8 years. Would have been better off with the old fan at this point.

UPDATE2: Warranty was fairly easy. They sent out a replacement motor and so far we are back to having a quiet fan. Just don't know how long that will last, but I will be sure to update!