Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hunter Original Tall Welly Boot
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on December 1, 2011
I was so excited when I got Hunter boots for my birthday during the summer of 2010, living in Seattle you really can't get by without reliable rain boots. I did much research into rain boots, because again I live in Seattle. Of course I didn't break them out untill fall, and only a year later I was in about 1 inch of water and felt water coming into one of my boots. I thought huh? there must be a manufacturer defect, well Hunter seems like a good company i'm sure I could contact them. I decided to email them, the response I got was "Hunter boots are typically made for the rainy days that we do have. Of course, rain can accumulate and we can see knee deep inches of water but at Hunter, we would never recommend using any of our boots in any type flooding, whether it be 2" or 5" of water." So they really don't stand behind their word at all. I was shocked.
Why would anyone pay $125 for rain boots that are not waterproof? Then about a month ago the rubber of my boots cracked exposing the boots lining. I contacted them once more thinking they must be faulty. The response I got over the phone was that they have only a 12 month warranty. Well I didn't understand why they had fallen apart so fast, some reviews I read were from people stating they had the same pair for 15, even 20 years! Why would mine be different? The so called "realiable hunter originals" have been made in China since 2008, identical to the originals originally made in Scotland. I just answered my own question, next time I want rain boots made in China i'll just go to Walmart. "Outstanding in every field" to me is a statement representing false company integrity. The original quote Hunter kept even after their manufacturing was outsourced.
1313 comments|423 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2010
These boots use to be manufactured in Scotland and were fantastice quality but are now made in China and Brazil.

They are now terrible quality and will not last long. But don't just take my word for it, just put into Google "Hunters poor quality"

Also look at these sites to see what many others are saying.....

Horse and Hound
[...]

Secret Scotland
[...]

My fiance bought me a pair of Hunters just 2 years ago and said that they would last for years. Both boots have developed cracks along the soles and are letting in water. It should also be noted that I do not wear them much. If they are used every day they may only last 6 months which is better as they have a 12 month guarantee!
11 comment|149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2012
I recently purchased a pair of Hunter Originals, it turns out they were made in China according to the box. Previous 2 pair were the real deal and have been worn for years and many miles. After wearing my new pair less than 4 hours-over perhaps 5 occasions-one of the heels has fallen off and remains lost in the mud somewhere on my property! It is unbelievable that new owners of such a famous brand would throw their reputation away by sanctioning poor quality and inferior merchandise to be manufactured under their name. Face it, the poor Chinese workers are making what their British corporate lords and Chinese mafia shop owners agree is acceptable.

The current holder of the Hunter brand must be exposed as a vulture capitalist who takes over a struggling company with a reputable brand for cheap, only to dismiss the skilled workers and extract the last profit by sourcing cheap janky merchandise as the whole business fizzles down the drain. Ethically bankrupt bastards.
0Comment|114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 22, 2011
These boots are now made in China, quality dropped. Chemical smell. Develop leaks. Useless 'celebrities' thought it was 'kewl' to be seen in them and so greed took over. And another excellent product bites the dust. Save your money. Vote how you buy. Look for substance and real quality and fair prices.
11 comment|77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2014
I don't understand it. These boots are supposed to the ultimate stylish foul weather gear. The look great but they leak like crazy with just a small amount of water on NYC sidewalks. I'm going to look into trying to rain proof them. Maybe my shoe repair person has some ideas. My soaks are always wet when I wear these boots. It's so disappointing!
on November 2, 2013
I am on my 4th pair of Hunter Balmorals. All of them have leaked and been replaced by Hunter. I have horses and dogs so I need wellies every day.
The last time I sent them back the idiots at Hunter Customer service said that in their test my boots didn't show a leak! As if I have the time to waste sending back boots if there's no problem with them. It was clear they were embarrassed about their poor quality product. I have since heard many people say similar things about Hunter boots and no doubt this is because they are now made on the cheap in China where they don't care about the quality. I will never buy Hunters again. If you are thinking of buying them DON'T.
on July 29, 2015
Garbage. Having been worn perhaps 30 - 40 times, and walked no more than 35 - 40 miles on Manhattan sidewalks, the heels wore out, and they are hollow, so the water comes through! You can see under the ball of the foot that these boots have not walked far! Both left and right boots failed in the heel. Clearly a design flaw.
review image review image
on February 21, 2014
I'm so sad to have spent so much money on these boots. Thinking I was investing in quality, I shelled out full retail for these babies, expecting an investment that would last for years to come. Turns out these are merely a "fashion" shoes, not a lifestyle shoe. If you intend to use these for real-life grunt work (not just looking cute on drizzly days) you are better off finding another brand. Heck, I've had better luck with my Frye Engineer 12R boots in the rain than with these, and those aren't marketed as "waterproof." I'm sorry to say that Hunter is a brand that relies merely on the cachet it established decades ago.
on April 28, 2014
I only had these a year before the lining at the heel started peeling away and leaving me with horrible blisters and a lot of pain at the back of my foot every time I wore them. What a waste of money. My 10 dollar wal mart boots lasted longer than these...
on July 9, 2012
I purchased the Hunter original Welly's and initially was very pleased with them. Six months later they sprung a leak, and upon examination they were crazing and splitting everywhere they flexed. I had expected many years wear for the price, but a quick search of the internet showed that many were experiencing the same problem and that the original company had been sold. These are fashion boots, not rain boots or working in the garden boots, or mucking out stalls boots and they will last for months, not many years, as they once would.