5.0 out of 5 stars Exploring Evil and Beauty in California
Published on July 11, 2012 by Lil Gluckstern

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointed beginning but the ending saves it
Published 17 months ago by Bree Zee

5.0 out of 5 stars Exploring Evil and Beauty in California, July 11, 2012
Lil Gluckstern "Just a music lover" (Half Moon Bay, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Huntress Moon starts with a dreamy, almost languorous description of San Francisco in the sun, introduces the protagonist, Roarke, and moves quickly into the action that doesn't even stop with the end of the book. Roarke, a former BAU profiler for the FBI, slowly finds out information about his serial killer who operates with uncanny and professional skill in killing victims. They have nothing in common except that they are not very nice people. The tension is maintained throughout as the action accelerates, and Roark is drawn into a multi state search for someone who operates in some of the most beautiful scenery in our country. Sokoloff looks at evil and what brings it about, and soberly finds the beauty and kindness present in the worst of us. Or the evil present in the best of us. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and I hope the next is available sooner than later. The hero is supported by a very appealing cast of cohorts, and I would like to see more of them. Very strong writing, and a good, touching story make this a highly recommended book.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a ride! Excellent thriller., July 11, 2012
It has been a long time since I've been drawn to a thriller that didn't involve some very explicit element of the paranormal; when the author stated on her blog that she was doing a giveaway for this title, I clicked through to see what it was about -- and I am so glad that I did. I have a soft spot for dark, handsome, emotionally repressed FBI agents (thank you, Fox Mulder), and the correlation of Roarke chasing a female serial killer -- I had to see what was going to happen.

The characters were well-rounded and very interesting. Although there are some definite familiar notes here -- the cop who can't connect to a family, the woman who can't tolerate children being hurt -- they are expressed in a fresh enough way that they don't feel like tropes, instead feel like good friends that I get to reconnect with after a long absence. The plot kept going to different places than I expected, which I loved -- I felt surprised and interested as things rolled along, and I did not guess the ending, which is always important to me in this genre.

There is a slight element of the paranormal worked into this book, but it is more a hint of the evil that walks the world, the thing that cops and poets see, and the rest of us try to ignore. I don't think this would put off a reader who wants a more strict procedural book.

I am eagerly looking forward to the sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, July 5, 2012
Huntress Moon hooked me with the image twist on the first page. We're placed in beautiful San Francisco, but are immediately shown there is a dark side. A mysterious woman walks among the degradation seemingly without fear. The main male character works for the FBI and is rushing to meet his undercover man.

The stories are told in alternating chapters, one present tense one past. We flow effortlessly between them, sequentially getting closer to when our characters come face to face. Within the tight story line, Sokoloff's use of images and her descriptions place us side by side with these rich characters, propelling us into the story itself.

I'm thrilled this will be a series. I feel I know these characters already and cannot wait to see where Sokoloff takes them next. I will definitely be going along for the ride.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, July 3, 2012
Yes, I'm a huge serial killer thriller fan. And I've read all the greats--Silence of the Lambs, Red Dragon, The Alienist. I also love the crime writers James Ellroy, Michael Connelly, and Dennis Lehane. I'm picky. Real picky. I'm always searching to recreate that experience of reading a crime book and becoming so obsessed that I'm unable to put it down, refusing even to speak to my family members. So it was with real excitement that I ripped through Sokoloff's HUNTRESS MOON, and turned the last page with a satisfied sigh.

FBI Special Agent Matthew Roark witnesses a fellow agent killed in front of him on a busy San Francisco street. Right before the man steps in front of a truck, an attractive woman behind him says something, causing his death.

Thus begins the hunt. For the rarest of criminals. A female serial killer. The idea of hunting is used brilliantly in the book, with Roark hunting this young woman, just as the young woman is doing some hunting of her own. And when she meets a young boy and his handsome father, fresh from a wounding divorce, we wonder who will die and who will live.

The characters are alive and three dimensional, and Sokoloff peels the mystery of what happened to this young woman back at a deliberately provocative pace. Who is she? Why is she doing what she's doing? What is she doing? And will Roark, who has a strange connection to her, be able to stop her before it's too late?

It's rare for a book in this genre to satisfy on all levels--plot, character and theme. But at the end of Huntress Moon, I was hungering for more. The characters are just that good, the themes about good and evil, love and connection, deeply resonant. I also really appreciated that the female main character was just as complicated and interesting (maybe even more!) than the male characters.

I cannot wait until Sokoloff's next book. I've read The Harrowing, which I loved, and have just now ordered all her previous novels. I look forward to hanging at the beach this summer, soaking up the blood and ignoring my family.

Pat Verducci

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've read in a long long time!, July 8, 2012
This is a bit different then her other paranormal mysteries, in that this is a suspense thriller with only a tinge of paranormal here and there....kinda. I loved it! Really hard to put down and great characters, make this a MUST read! It is WAY worth the price! You will not be disappointed. I highly recommend this book, and really am looking forward to the next in the series!

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointed beginning but the ending saves it, February 13, 2013
I can't count the number of times I almost stopped reading this book. I was completely disconnected from the characters and plot in the beginning - I felt nothing for Cara/Leila because she was such a one dimensional character in the first half. The part with Roarke felt tedious. The majority of the first half was all telling narrative. No action. Things did pick up. Leila became much more fleshed out in the last half of the book. Roarke finally started interacting with people. The end was quite fast paced and you could see the threads of a series start to develop. I did like the ending and the characters by the last page.

I thought this was supposed to be a paranormal type story and the author barely scrapes the surface of that in this book. Not a bad thing, just not what I was expecting. Not sure if I will pick up other books in this series or by the author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing and haunting story, August 25, 2012
FBI Special Agent Matt Roarke has one of his agents undercover, closing in on a major criminal organization, when he witnesses his agent being killed before his eyes on a busy street in San Francisco. He questions whether it is accidental, especially after having seen a mysterious woman at the scene. After further investigation, he finds other supposed accidents and murders that included this woman being on scene. Roarke finds himself on a multi-state journey to track this woman and figure out whether he's got a potential female serial killer in his sights.

I really enjoyed this story as it involves two pursuits, tracking this mysterious woman and determining if these accidents are really crimes and how the victims are connected. We also get to see part of the story from this woman's point of view, which makes it even more intriguing. There are a few twists and an air of mysticism as Roarke seems to have unusual instincts and connections. He's an interesting character, along with his partner, Damien Eppes.

The story is so well paced and I loved how details slowly unfolded, each new reveal adding a layer of complexity along with the resolutions. I'm reluctant to say much more as it could spoil others' reading experiences. It's well written and I'm in for the next book. I highly recommend adding this to your bookshelves.

4.0 out of 5 stars More great work from Alexandra Sokoloff!, September 22, 2012
amethyst79 (Upstate New York) - See all my reviews
I had downloaded Huntress Moon after reading Book of Shadows and had been a bit skeptical, I loved the supernatural aspects of Book of Shadows and knew this would be lacking in Huntress Moon, however, I was far from disappointed. I do admit it's been a couple of weeks since I finished this title, so not every detail is fresh in my mind, but it was fabulous! Roarke's search for the killer, in itself, made for a fun read, but to be able to read from "the killer's" point of view as well, and the links between the two, really made this a fantastic book. Alexandra Sokoloff most definitely delivers some great work in terms of writing and character development which cannot be denied, every chapter is gripping and I look forward to starting up another of her works today!

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific book!, July 9, 2012
FBI Special Agent Matthew Roarke heads to an emergency meeting with his undercover agent when he sees him killed in a gruesome accident. That is, if it was an accident. He sees a beautiful blonde standing quietly behind his dead agent staring at him.

I really can't tell you anything more without ruining the many surprises in the book. I can tell you that Huntress Moon gets a grip on your mind and won't let go.

The book is very cinematic which is not surprising, as Ms. Sokoloff is also a screenwriter. And not only does it play visually in your mind, it gets you at a gut level, making you confront human monsters and the horrible things they do.

Ms. Sokoloff has created a stew of memorable characters, beautiful settings, and a tight plot. Into this, she has ladled generous amounts of terror, guaranteed to keep you up at night.

Be prepared, Huntress Moon is one hellava ride.

Review by H. L. Le Roy
author of Street Crimes

3.0 out of 5 stars Never got engaged in the story, January 3, 2013
Unlike other reviewers, I got bogged down in the darkness of this one and never could get into the story. this is a thriller and the action is non stop, I had a difficult time relating to and liking the characters and I didn't really care what happened to them. For me, this is without a doubt a book I would read if I had nothing else to read, but otherwise not for me.

Rate and Discover Movies