Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on March 22, 2007
If you are a fan of the really hot blues singer, Tab Benoit, you will really enjoy this movie. Wonderfully done and really moving! It's filmed around the home of Tab in Louisiana. If you get a chance to see it in an Imax Theatre, it will be well worth the price of a ticket. The fabulous sound and scenery is great to watch on the BIG screen. I can't wait to see it again in my own home. The wetlands and destruction of Hurricane Katrina will really move you.
on September 5, 2007
This is an awesome documentary depicting LA wetlands and Katrina information that is further enhanced with entertainment and narration from Tab Benoit and Amanda Shaw. I love the under-water videos, and the flood footage really provide an explanation of what happened to my house, which is outside the levees in Bayou Sauvage. 8.5 feet of water settled and receded in one day and everything was lost by the time we were allowed to return to the city. Hats off to Amanda and Tab for bringing everyone's attention to the wetlands issues on the gulf coast!
on May 19, 2007
Having spent most of my life in Louisiana, I can vouch for the wonderful images and authentic bayou sounds of Tab Benoit, Amanda Shaw (what an amazing young talent!), Chubby Carrier, and the other artists featured in this movie. My heart aches for the devastion and suffering that remains in New Orleans, from Hurricane Katrina. How compassionately and respectfully this movie shows it! The erosion of the Louisiana coast and wetlands is a serious issue that will impact humans and wildlife far beyond the borders of the state. Thank goodness for passionate advocates such as Tab Benoit, and others, who are trying to make a difference. I cried, laughed, felt full of pride, felt full of despair, as I watched this movie at the OmniMax, and can't wait to own a copy when it is available. Definitely see it at an OmniMax if you can. Like me, you will probably want to own your own copy. I bought the sound track at the theater, after the show. I keep it in my car, and listen to it nearly every day.
on August 9, 2007
I saw this impressive and touching documentary, narrated by Meryl Streep, at an Imax theatre. It held my attention from start to finish because the truth was brought to light as to what happens when people fool with Mother Nature. It features enjoyable cajun music by Tab Benoit and excellent fiddle playing by Amanda Shaw, a young girl who shows concern about her surroundings and her family's welfare after Katrina. I was drawn completely into the picturesque life of the Cajun and South Louisiana people.
on May 22, 2009
Hurricane On The Bayou is one of the best documentaries of the decade. It is forty minutes, and made for IMAX, which explains why some of the shots used.

The 'Making Of' portion of the DVD explains that the original movie was suppose to be "Storm On The Bayou" featuring Amanda Shaw, a teenage Disney actress and cajun fiddler, Tab Benoit, a blues guitarist and wetlands activist, and a mother Alligator. But when Hurricane Katrina hit in the later stages of its production, the theme and title changed.

Rock and Roll hall of fame member Allen Toussaint, Zydeco legend Chubby Carrier, and gospel queen Martha Wright join our narrators as the film explores the relationship of climate change, levees, development of the Louisiana wetlands, and the resulting devastation from Hurricane Katrina.

The story is told through the narration of Amanda, Tab, Meryl Streep, and Allen Toissaint. The musicians give a diverse angle to this history, humanizing the struggle of the Louisiana Wetlands and the destruction New Orleans.

This is meant to be a respectful family film, so none of the graffic sites, such as dead bodies are shown. Even Amanda Shaw's experience is kept dignified. As she deals with her house and school destroyed, and the uncertain fate of her grandparents, we are never shown her loosing her composure.

The music becomes a powerful narration tool, as the soundtrack hits all the styles of the Delta, the Wetlands, and New Orleans. The film is suppose to be about climate change, weather, and the environment of the Louisiana wet-lands. But the music and the musicians bring a soul to New Orleans, and the Bayou, that is missing from so many hurricane documentaries. This films works as a companion piece for Spike Lee's When The Levees Broke. This is for the family. That is for the adults.
on December 14, 2007
I saw this powerful IMax film in New Orleans with it's target audience. It was a great experience. I am getting the DVD as a souvenir of the experience.

I have heard a criticism that the films goes light (or 'lite', if you will) on scientific information. Once again look at the target audience...it is well defined INTRO of different subjects: the bayou and NOLA culture pre-K, the science of the storm and the bayou and NOLA AFTER the storm. For the amount of time an IMAX film has, it does a great job.

I do recommend seeing it in IMAX first if possible...especially in New Orleans. You will definately want a copy of it after you see it that way.
on February 8, 2010
We saw this film at an IMAX theatre but decided we wanted to have it to play again at home. The photography and music are great, and the story is one we need to remember.
on April 14, 2007
Hurricane on the Bayou

I recently viewed this film at an IMAX theatre and strongly recommend this film. The scenery and music are spectacular! Well worth going to see at an IMAX theatre, but I will also purchase it for home viewing. It is just that good!
on August 1, 2007
Excellent portrayal of the culture and lifestyle of South Louisiana, with beautiful photography. There is an important message about the continuing problems of coastal erosion, loss of wetlands, and destruction and human suffering caused by Hurricane Katrina.
on January 30, 2009
I went in 2004 and was planning to go back, but didn't make it,to New Orleans in 2005 (The Katrina year). After I saw the devastation that happened, I started feeling close to this part of the world. This year will be my 4th time back to New Orleans since. I've come to love this city and the surrounding areas. Watching this movie at the IMAX in New Orleans was an emotional experience. Yes, it's somewhat about the dying wetlands and not totally about Hurricane Katrina, but the story involves both. I enjoyed the scenery, the story and the sadness. I actually cried twice while watching the movie. Being born and raised in Southern California, I didn't know much about the South personally. Now I think about New Orleans all the time and feel like I need to go back. I now go when I can and have donated to some of the rebuilding efforts. This movie is a must see and I hope you love it as much as the reviewers here.