4.0 out of 5 stars do you have hurty feelings?
Published on July 31, 2005 by Melissa Sack

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my fav Helen Lester book, but...
I love most of her books, just didn't like the storyline of this one as much. I loved the illustrations though (as with all her novels) and I believe all her books interest a wide range of readers.
Published 19 months ago by Kris

4.0 out of 5 stars do you have hurty feelings?, July 31, 2005
This review is from: Hurty Feelings (Hardcover)
Fragility is a hippo who is very insecure. Her friends give her nice compliment but she always takes them as insults. Fragility cries all the time and her friends start to avoid her. Things change for Fragility one day when she decides to stand up to the neighborhood bully Rudy the elephant. Find out how Fragility turns her life around and learns some important like lessons.

What did you like or not like about the book?

We felt that the book could be used to start various discussions on feelings. Also the topic of bullies could be brought up as well after reading this cute picture book.

Yes. The cover shows a big hippo crying and using up boxes full of tissues.

Itdraws you in and makes you want to read to book to see what is wrong with her.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best children's books of the year, October 10, 2004
This review is from: Hurty Feelings (Hardcover)
This is the story of Fragility, a hippopotamus who, despite her large size, was very fragile emotionally. Even when someone complimented her she managed to reframe it into an insult and was hurt again. So what happens when she is responsible for protecting the goal in the soccer match and the bully of an elephant decides to insult her? You'll have to read the book to get the answer. "Hurty Feelings" is a fun read for children with well-drawn illustrations that are both detailed and humorous, and an excellent message, which makes it a highly recommended read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hurty Feelings is a treasure!, September 24, 2007
OneMom (Great Lakes) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hurty Feelings (Hardcover)
We recently checked this book out of the library. I was not familiar with Helen Lester and Lynn Munsinger, but my 5 year old (and I) loved this book on the first read. The illustrations are delightful. The best part is the wonderful drama that can be injected while reading. My daughter loves all the great weeping and wailing that Fragility performs (she is a bit of a drama queen, eh?). Not only is it fun to read, it also has wonderful life lessons, such as: learning to like yourself, accepting compliments graciously, and even dealing with bullies (Rudy the bully ends up in a weeping pile himself, and he actually learns some lessons too).

I'm here today to purchase this book and any other Lester/Munsinger books I can find.

5.0 out of 5 stars Teaches so many good lessons in a funny, way, October 8, 2010
This review is from: Hurty Feelings (Paperback)
I love all of Helen Lester's books so had high expectations for this one and it certainly didn't disappoint. I'm a pre-k teacher and expected to use this to teach how words can hurt just as much as physically hurting someone. Believe it or not, bullying and teasing starts very, very early and it's something I wanted to squash early on in my class. It helped tremendously to get my little ones to understand that, but I loved that the book allowed me to lead into several other lessons as well.

-Bullying: Fragility the hippo takes everyone's compliments as insults, until she meets Rudy the elephant who really is very rude and insulting. Rudy knows how fragile Fragility is and uses it to hurt her feelings just because he feels like it. Good for discussing what bullying is and why someone might bully another person

-Whining: As anyone who has or has had a preschooler knows, they're just starting to learn how effective whining can be at getting their way or getting attention. Just before Rudy the bully shows up, Fragility is incredibly lonely because nobody wants to upset her and they're exhausted by her meltdowns. My kids LOOOVED the repetition (and exaggerated voice it lends well to) of "You hurt my feeeeeelings!" and helped them see how silly the whining is as opposed to just talking, just as Fragility learned at the end of the story.

-Two wrongs don't make a right: After several insults from Rudy, Fragility finally manages to throw his insults back at him. Far from helping the situation, this instead leads to two very sad, very hurt individuals. Helpful for teaching standing up for one's self instead of stooping down to a bully's level and making positive choices, even when someone else isn't being nice to you.

-Forgiveness and making mistakes: When Fragility sees how hurt Rudy is when she teases him back, she understands that all Rudy really needs is a friend. She "mommies" him, wiping away his tears and hugging him until he feels better. Long before reading this book, I'd used this technique in my class (the "hurter" taking care of the "hurtee" so he or she can see the effects of his or her actions) with great success. It really struck a cord with my students and helped them understand that even if you make a bad choice, you can still fix it.

On top of all this, much like Lester's other books, Hurty Feelings is just plain funny, well written, and fun to read, from the character's names to Fragility's dramatic outbursts to the hilarious accompanying illustrations. Like I said, it lends well to silly and exaggerated voices, which only adds to the great story. Other favorites of mine include Hooway for Wodney Wat and A Porcupine Named Fluffy.

5.0 out of 5 stars NO MORE HURTY FEELINGS, January 29, 2014
This review is from: Hurty Feelings (Paperback)
MY 2.5 YEAR OLD WAS VERY MUCH INTO THIS STORY. SHE WAS VERY EMPATHETIC TO THE HIPPO. THE ILLUSTRATIONS ARE GREAT TOO!

5.0 out of 5 stars I wil enjoy reading it to the head start kids, September 3, 2013
This review is from: Hurty Feelings (Paperback)
A friend of mine had this book and i knew that it would be great for my head start kids. Class does not start for a couple of weeks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a classroom guidance lesson, June 4, 2013
This review is from: Hurty Feelings (Hardcover)
I read this book the the K-2 kids when we talked about being assertive and asking people not to call you something even if the other person thinks they are just joking or don't mean the comment as mean. Every time Fragility starts crying, I pause and ask how to be assertive in that situation. The vocabulary is probably more grades 3-5 so I end up explaining some words to the kids or changing them all together depending on the grade level. Overall, I like that there are several lessons you can talk about with kids in this book and its really funny. It is the right length to keep their attention and they all enjoy the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy for my kiddos!, March 20, 2013
This review is from: Hurty Feelings (Paperback)
I have a sensitive pre-k kiddo who is always having her feelings hurt. Even if someone is just joking with her or gives her compliments they come across as negative for her. This book was great to introduce these feelings and open up a conversation with her. It shows what happens if you continue to always have "hurty feelings" as well as introduces the concept of bullies. Great Book!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my fav Helen Lester book, but..., January 10, 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as others by Helen Lester, August 16, 2010
Amazon Customer (Seattle, WA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hurty Feelings (Paperback)
This book is not one of our favorites. It is not up to the level of A Porcupine Named Fluffy, Listen Buddy and Me First. Those are some of our favorite books by this author. They are humorous as well as teaching a nice lesson to your preschoolers.

Hurty Feelings
Hurty Feelings by Helen Lester (Paperback - March 26, 2007)
$6.95 $6.26