Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

on September 30, 2005
"Navy Husband" was an enjoyable read. This book follows two sisters, Shana and Ali. Ali is part of the Navy, and when the Navy sends her overseas, Ali reminds Shana that she had put down her name as "support person" to take care of her daughter Jasmine, in this contigency. At the time that Shana had agreed to put her name down, it had seemed to be only a technicality, as it did not seem likely that she would ever be needed, but things change, and now Ali reminds her of her agreement.

The timing could not be worse. Shana has just broken up with her five-year boyfriend, and, as a gesture (to herself) that she is starting a whole new life, Shana quits her job, moves to another city, and buys a pizza parlor (a major career change). A little girl is exactly what she does *not* need right now. In the end, though, everything works out, and as they tend to in romance land, everything works out much better than anyone could have hoped for.

I had just read some of Debbie Macomber's older books, and I thought that this book felt more contemporary (DUH ME!!) - I thought that there was more of an *edge* to her characters than I've seen in this author's older books. (Shana spends a major part of the book *breaking up* with her old boyfriend - even though, as she keeps saying "I am SO over him!") I guess Debbie Macomber has updated - although, even with the more savvy and street-smart Shana, I thought at times that she *was* a little bit too good - she's always so polite, I kept waiting for her to *really* give it to him, which she never did. I guess even city girls in Debbie Macomber's books are still sweet girls, at heart.

There was not as much emotional depth to this story as in some of her other books, but on the other hand, it was fast-paced, never boring - an enjoyable, and quick, read. And, yes, I did think that the nine year old was pretty mature for nine - but not overly so, a very mature nine year old *could* pull it off, and I guess that perhaps Jasmine had grown up quick.
on July 11, 2005
This was the first romance novel I've read in quite sometime (I've been on a Stephen King kick since my husband introduced me to his writing a few years ago). Wow. I loved this book. My mom gave it to me after my aunt had finished it. My mom finished it in 2 days - I probably could have finished it faster than that, but housework calls!! I loved the story between the characters. The only (small) gripe I had about the book was the 9-year-old in the story. I have a 10-year-old cousin who does not act at all like this girl in the book. I know, it's a little thing, but Macomber made a point to mention her age over and over again. If she was 13, it would have been more believeable.

Other than that, though, the book was really good. As I was reading the book at my desk during my lunch break, I found myself smiling (almost laughing) along with the characters.

So it's your typical romance novel, I don't care. Sometimes you're in need of one and this one is definitely a good one. I think I'm going to have to read more of Macomber's novels.
on February 7, 2010
When navy nurse Alison Karaus is about to spend six months at sea and she needs her sister Shana to watch her daughter Jazmine while she is gone. Shana has just moved to a new town and bought a new business and she isn't sure she can handle Jazmine, but Alison says that Jazmine's "uncle" Lt. Commander Adam Kennedy is near and will be on hand to help. Shana is not looking for love, but it seem that Lt. Commander Kennedy has worked his way into Shana's heart.
"Navy Husband" is a pretty good book by Debbie Macomber. But I would have liked if it had been longer. The whole story seemed rushed and lacked character development. Overall I liked it, but it could have been so much more if it was longer.
on January 27, 2015
Either I've read too many of Macomber's stories or this one in particular was just too predictable. There were no surpises, and a lot of it was just what I expected. Even the sex wasn't anything special. I won't read it again.
on June 12, 2014
Another great book. Jasmine was a great matchmaker. She knew what she wanted. This was a humorous book. It was funny when he bought 15 yards of red silk for Ali. A great ending. I think you need to write a sequence of navy brat, navy wives,and navy husband.
on April 28, 2014
This is a really good book. Usually I read all mystery books but once in awhile I read one that is not so dark and deathly. This one I really enjoyed. Now I only get read books on my Nook and mostly free though my local library so I don't buy regular books anymore.
on October 22, 2012
Anything that that Debbie Maccomber writes is good, I love her style of writing. She captures your attention and keeps it, her books are hard to put down once youn start reading them. You become a part of the cast.
on March 27, 2012
Rarely do we read about the effects our soldiers lives have on their families. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am extremely supportive of the military, so I thought I'd try this. I am glad Debbie Macomber decided to write this story.

The characters were witty, sneaky and honest.
on January 18, 2013
I was a Navy Wife years ago, but I know how much family and friends are needed during a deployment. Been there, done that.
Great book, hit the nail on the head about being away and worrying how everyone at home is doing. I liked it very much and would recommend it for a real heart warming story.
on April 14, 2014
This is a true Macomber book, situation that draws you in from first page, romantic tension, a blip in the relationship, and a happy ending. These are fast reads with no super emotional moments so I can read in public and not have tears running down my face!