Yeah I know - here is another snow blower review without snow to blow. I cannot make snow but I can share my thoughts on this unit.

I had been watching this unit all season and it was the end of season discount that drove me to bite. Good value IMO.

Published on January 26, 2012 by Justaddwata

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Poor Design
Published on January 27, 2012 by iammikie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars First impressions - Great deal! (see update) (and updated update), January 26, 2012
This review is from: Husqvarna 1830HV 30-Inch 414cc SnowKing Gas Powered Two Stage Snow Thrower With Electric Start & Power Steering (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Lawn & Patio)

Crate is big but appropriate. Shipping company did a nice job and delivered into my garage (despite my long narrow drive - reason for purchase!!). No damage to packaging at all. They called in advance to schedule delivery and again 1 hour before delivery. Great service!

Assembly was straight forward and took 20 minutes or so. Everything goes where it should. Nothing missing and nothing extra (other than shear bolts). It is not a complex assembly. It could be assembled by someone with no real mechanical skill in under an hour with the instructions. I am not sure about the ordeal the other reviewer went through - Maybe turn the light on!!.

Unit was not as heavy to move around as I expected. Quite robust but in no way compares to my Husky walk behind mower. Looks plenty adequate for the task.

Did not take much gas - less than a gallon (have not read instructions as to how much exactly). Guess I may need to carry a gas can down the driveway just in case. Was already filled with oil. Not sure the other reviewers complaint about the dipstick. Is actually more accurate the way it is installed. Think someone just wanted to complain!

Priming and prep for starting was very straight forward. I did not read the instructions once more but decided to hand start it rather than electric (since no one had mentioned hand starting). It fired to life before the first pull was complete so I cannot say anything bad about that. She is plenty loud (especially in my garage). Controls were easy to learn and work. I can understand complaints about the drive speed not having detents to in indicate speed position. Not a deal breaker since the adjustment would be all over the place with time anyway. But slow is a lot further down the scale than you would expect.

Overall the unit is a little smaller than anticipated. It is light and maneuverable both with the controls or when not running. I have to give it 5 stars out of the box. I will update this review should I see more snow this season and add more images or possibly video. (sorry the images I uploaded did not end up in order??)

**** Update 9-19-2012 ****
Blower has sat all year in the garage. I figured I better get it running again before the winter sets in (yeah I know I am a little early). Blower has not been touched/run since I first assembled it. Proceeded to follow instructions for priming and choking - again used the pull starter (Probably better test the electric option soon). Wouldn't you know it the blower came to life on the very first pull. I can only hope I see such consistency this winter. Will keep you updated and post video once I get some snow to blow!!

****** UPDATE 12-29-2012 ******
Ok - just used her for the first time. Yeah - not really a longevity review - but a second first impression.
With over 12 inches of snow on my stone/gravel drive I am really glad this unit worked as well or better than I had hoped. I would never shovel the drive of the snow on it. This blower really was a treat.
So again followed the starting instructions - again it fired first pull (still have not tested the electric - would rather an easy start pull anyway). Roared to life and down the drive we went. Driveway is about 250ft or so to the fork where the neighbor plows (about 1/3rd mile to the street - would not want to blow all that). Has an oversized turn around and leads to a 2 car garage and side lot. In all I would guess near 8,000sqft of surface.
Speed control is reasonable though the forward/neutral/reverse decal does not line up with the shift. Not much an issue since it is dark anyway. Encountered a quantity of leaves and debris (did not clean the fall leaves away) but the unit went on no issue. All up I was done with my drive in exactly one tank.
This is my first snow blower though I have plenty of bigger husky equipment (32" walk behind mower, 65cc clearing saw, 62cc Back pack blower etc). I would say it is not the easiest machine to operate - a lot of that no doubt due to the surface I was clearing - tended to grab on rocks and protrusions on the drive. A smooth drive would have been dramatically easier. Operating in smaller areas it takes a little work though if you control the speeds it is easy enough.
I was planning on doing a video but it was snowing and night time when I used it. (reminds me - light is bright and works well!!)
So far I would say I would buy it again in a heart beat. It handled the 12 inch clearing without breaking a sweat. For a first time operation in the dark on a drive like mine I would say it performed flawlessly. I am now wandering why we waited so long to get one!!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Snow Thrower or Snow LAUNCHER??!!, March 29, 2013
The first snowblower sent to me had a damaged control panel, but amazon quickly fixed the problem and sent me a new one right away....the second one was in great condition and assembly was straightforward....I put gas in and it started up no problem....as mentioned before in some reviews, reverse is a little tricky to find (I'm thinking it is a minor adjustment of some sort)....Either way, this machine LAUNCHES snow!!! It takes a little while to get used to the power, but this snowblower will handle any type of snow including wet, thick snow...The neighbors will be jealous!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Poor Design, January 27, 2012
I purchased this two years ago, but the past winters were mild so it did not get used much and no heavy snow. This year it is a different situation, lots of snow. The design of the transmission on this and all of the cheaply made and poorly designed snow throwers uses a friction wheel system to drive the machine forward and backwards. Due to non existant quality control, some of the engines which are used leak small amounts of oil, which eventually ends up on the friction wheel which is installed below the motor. That oil will not allow friction wheel to gain any traction, so it will not go forward or in reverse until you access the wheel by removal of the back maintenance plate and clean it off, a time consuming and annoyance each time it is used more than two hours.

Also, to bring this 300 pound monster in for repair to an authorized dealer, of which there are few and far between, is another issue.

4.0 out of 5 stars Monster power but somehow difficult to maneuver, January 31, 2012
Alex B "Alex B" (Sparta, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
The 414 cc motor is massive compared to the rest of the competitors (normally equipped with 200cc or 250cc motors) and offers tremendous amount of power, to the point that this beast is very difficult to keep down and more in general to maneuver. I added a weight bar and things improved but not as I wished or expected (I'm wondering if I should try to add a second weight bar).
The tires (perhaps the problem is determined by the wrong inflating pressure) are not that great either: maybe because of the high power they tend to slip too much to further detriment to the general maneuverability.
The mouth is massive but, somehow, the blades seem to be undersized (especially if compared to an Ariens).
The thrower does a good, realiable and consistent job, however, the one thing that I'm really unpleased with are the lateral skid-shoes: the machine comes with basic, cheap, metal skid shoes: don't know if they need to be adjusted but they tend to "scrape" too much on the pavement and sometimes the whole mouth gets stuck. I'm considering uprading to the non-abrasive composite material, or perhaps even the rolling version skid shoes, and see if that improves maneuverability.
The electric start is a great feature and guarantees prompt ignition even in the coldest weather.

1.0 out of 5 stars 1830 used 5 times, in shop 3 times., February 5, 2014
I am so disappointed with this machine that I dont even want to give it one star.

Bought in Oct 2011 and used it twice that winter. Head gasket (chinese engine) blew. Was in shop 3 weeks.

Little snow last year, did not use.

This winter, first time out the drive controls failed. In shop for $200 out of warranty fix.

I just went out. head gasket bolts all out, spewing oil all over. Ariens dealer will give nothing at all on a trade (cost 1400 dollars).

Called Husqvarna, said cant help me, write a letter if dissatisfied. Believe it or not I was polite too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy the best yiou can afford, October 8, 2012
I researched snow blowers for months. After looking at all the sizes, options and reliability I chose the Husqvarna 1830HV 30 inch. I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars For the money, this is the best value, January 29, 2014
I live in NYC with a 50' driveway that's 10' wide. There is no place to throw the snow so I would carry it to the street one shovelful at a time. Total time to clean my driveway was 3 hours. Now it's 5 minutes. We had 8 inches of snow (including drifts) and this bad-boy ripped through it like nothing. I did my driveway and front of the house in 10 minutes. I was so thrilled I did 5 adjacent neighbors sidewalks and a few across the street and stayed under 30 min. Only thing that stinks is the fuel tank is small. BTW, I paid $1,200 bucks on Amazon for this, then I looked again and it was $2,400, and today it's $1,600 ? What gives, reminds me of gas stations changing the prices hourly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Power Power Power!, December 21, 2013
This bad boy is the beast with almost 2X the grunt of competitor models and with great power comes great clearing potential. Can be tough to manhandle on full chat but back off the gas a bit and it really comes into its own. Easy set up and start on handle or electric. Gas (0.67 gal) only lasts about 30 min so keep a tank handy for fill-ups. Otherwise, its all good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great snow blower, April 15, 2013
I bought this snow blower a few weeks ago. I have not had any significant snowfall to try it on however I cleared a small path in the yard through 10" of old snow. The blower threw the snow about 60' (much farther than my old blower). The blower was delivered on time and in excellent condition. I would recommend this snow blower to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made shoveling a memory, July 10, 2012
Arrived well crated for protection and the assembly took about 15 minutes. This is my first snow thrower so I might not know what I'm missing but it doesn't seem like it could be much. 30 inches wide throwing off the driveway makes short work of anything I fed it. The controls are simple to operate but I did get a bit of a hand cramp holding down the drive lever. I've got a wide driveway and it's a pretty long so it works wonders for my use. If you've got a small area it may not work that well because it's big to maneuver in tight spaces.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›