The saw is powerful, fast and responsive to the throttle and has been easy to start and adjust. The anti-vibe protection looks exactly like the system you see on professional saws and works very well. This is extremely important as white finger is not a joke and it can develop fast.

Published on December 25, 2011 by F. E. Filardo

3.0 out of 5 stars know your jobs, know your saws
Bought this saw not long ago and have put probably 20 hours on it this season. It was my first "nicer" chain saw and I wanted something that could handle a 20" bar. I think the 45cc engine is underpowered for a 20" bar, as I had trouble getting through some 16" locust logs with the stock 18" bar and chain.

My advice: this saw is great for the occasional user...
Published on November 14, 2010 by BooneFrog

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good saw for the price - light, powerful and good anti-vibe, December 25, 2011
This review is from: Husqvarna 445 18-Inch 45.7cc 2-Stroke Gas Powered Chain Saw (CARB Compliant) (Lawn & Patio)

If you fell mighty oaks all day long, you should invest in bigger saws. If most of what you do with your saw involves working with trees under about 20" this saw is perfectly adequate, even in hardwoods. It runs very sweetly, has plenty of power and you will be glad of its build quality and light weight.

Do not buy a bigger saw than you need. Apart from wasting money and fuel, a bigger saw will be heavier, more tiring to use, and more dangerous, particularly if it has a longer bar which also means more chance of kickback, poorer control and more teeth on the chain to keep sharp.

I bought the saw for logging firewood and occasional felling and limbing. I am trained in the correct use and maintenance of chainsaws as where I work this is a legal requirement for any use of chainsaws in the workplace. I mention this because the negative reviews in this forum appear to be written by people who do not understand how to operate chainsaws or have never been shown how. The complaints about the chain and bar appear to be caused by incorrect maintenance, mostly incorrect sharpening or tensioning of the chain, which can cause all kinds of interesting and dangerous behaviour regardless of which chainsaw you (mis)use.

I sometimes work an arboricultural jobs with a friend who does tree work all day 5-6 days a week, 50 weeks a year. I was pleasantly surprised when I took my little Husqy saw to work and he could find no fault with its design or capabilities. A ground saw this small is not for him because he cannot afford to slow down for those few cuts every day that require a bigger saw or a little patience with a 445. However, he now recommends the 445 to others who ask him what saw to buy for semi-pro use.

Husqvarna make other much more expensive pro saws with a much higher power to weight ratio. However, this one appears to be solidly made with similar technology and materials to what you see on their professional saws, plus a few (somewhat redundant) easy-start features which would normally be reserved for bigger saws. If there are any sacrifices in quality or durability they are not immediately apparent, and the saw is a pleasure to use. I would be surprised if there is another saw in this price range that can compare to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great chain saw, October 27, 2009
I finally had to buy a chainsaw. Cutting the trees with a hand saw and axe was getting to be to much work. The 445 is a great saw for what I need - cutting down trees to close to my buildings and keeping the road clear of trees and brush. The biggest tree I cut up so far has been a bit over 14 inches in diameter - a poplar. I've cut birch, poplar, evergreen, and cedar with it. I've used it for several days all day without fatigue from vibration. The saw has plenty of power and was easy to start and use although I had to learn to not flood it with the primer. I purchased the sharpening kit by Husqvarna and found it easy to use as well. I'm very happy with it. (although the review says Idaho I use the saw in Michigan)

3.0 out of 5 stars know your jobs, know your saws, November 14, 2010

My advice: this saw is great for the occasional user. For felling and bucking up hardwoods, especially larger ones, you'll thank yourself if you save the extra money for a 455, a 353, or other slightly larger Husky. I also didn't like the fact that it doesn't have adjustable oil flow, though it hasn't caused me any problems thusfar. This saw is a great, lightweight beast for softer hardwoods and will eat through softwoods like butter. For larger logs, sustained use, and harder woods I'd recommend spending the extra $100-150 for things like the magnesium crankcase and extra power. I wish I had.

5.0 out of 5 stars well it's not a Stihl, September 12, 2010
this is the second best saw I've used............
the best was a 1985 Stihl WB028 amazing saw but was a gas hog.
the 445 has demolished 8 good sized logs for me and only got dull when I hit dirt "very common dulls or dirties chain"
I did have to tighten it once but was super easy unlike my old mcculoch loosen nut tighten screw... retighten nut.
this is not a pro grade saw as I was led to believe but seems plenty functional.
I got mine at a box store for 360 in Ak not too outrageous also my old file works with it makes me happy.
all in all plenty of power for 10-12in good fuel economy does not heat up as much as some and not as loud as many esp my Dad's Stihl.
highly ergonomic and light for the power all saws are different but I recommend this to anyone who can use a saw and does not have $700-$900 to buy one.
on the other hand for $400 you can get another 5cc and bigger bar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chain Saw, March 19, 2013
I have had other chain saws but this is best on yet. Best to work on my fire wood pile yet,with no repairs. But these are much better at about 1/2 the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Husqy Chain Saw, December 6, 2011
After the Halloween snow storm here in Massachusetts we had many trees down in our yard and surrounding area. I needed a chain saw I could rely on. I'm very impressed with this saw. It started easily and required no additional adjustments. Cutting the downed trees was effortless. This saw never got bogged down, it cur the hard wood trees just as easily as the soft wood trees. For me this saw was a huge set up in reliability and performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great chainsaw, April 28, 2012
This chainsaw is perfect for cleaning up our property after a big storm. It works beautifully and is easy to clean and take care of. It is not too heavy and neither is it flimsy or too light. It is also very comfortable to use. So - this is a great chainsaw for the homeowner for use as needed.

4.0 out of 5 stars 445 husqvarna little saw that can, March 22, 2013
I live and work in small town Montana as a power equipment dealer for husqvarna and Honda we had the wind storm of 75 mph gust bring a few trees down. I needed a saw and fast not a lot of money so I grabbed the 445 its a box brand and I was concerned about quality first grip is no oiler adjuster but works fine second is the single bar nut but it dose good to. So got it all set up and off it went second start of saw and ignition coil failed replace under warranty and no charge right back to work no issues yet with anything great anti vib system and easy to start even in single digit cold weather controls well placed and easy of use I've cut 8 cords of pine with this saw and its really the little saw that could impressed with power and durability and the weight I've never seen a saw for this price do so well if u are occasional user for home property this is your saw Would recommend this saw to entry level to skilled users and those just needing a smaller saw for the little work for limbing and bucking this is the little saw that can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Husqvarna 445, June 18, 2013
This is a great saw with the 18" bar. It cuts wood very quickly and keeps on cutting. Often people complain of chains cutting poorly or getting dull. What often happens is they run the chain and bar into the soil. This will dull the chain very quickly. Need to keep it out of the soil. The saw starts quickly and has lots of power. Buy gasoline without ethanol in it. You can usually find a gas station selling a premium grade of gas without the alcohol. Many people don't realize that the alcohol is bad for the engine and fuel system. If you do buy gas with ethanol in it, run it all out before storing the saw. If not, it will corrode and gum up the fuel system. This Husqvarna 445 unit is at an excellent power to weight ratio... not too heavy to use. It is a quality made saw and is very durable. If you ever used a Poulan chain saw, this unit is 400% better! Also, Oregon Corporation makes chains for Husqvarna and Stihl. There are different grades and styles of chains. The one that comes on the unit is a low kickback chain which cuts most woods quickly. Some chains will cut quicker, but offer a higher kickback and risk of injury. Don't let the naysayers sway you from this saw. Highly recommended. For more info and ratings, go to Husqvarna.com

2.0 out of 5 stars Whats with the single bolt holding the bar?, September 28, 2013
I bought this saw to use around my house cutting up dead fall and misc. trimming.
The first time using it, I struggled to start it. It wouldn't start according to the directions but after awhile when my arm ached from pulling the rope, it finally started.
Once warm it would restart instantly.
While making my first cuts, the chain flew off the bar. I couldn't seem to get the chain adjusted right, every time I had the chain adjusted I would make a cut and it would be loose again.
I blame it on the single nut that secures the bar, every other saw I've seen has two nuts that secure the bar.
A week later and I went to use the saw, the same struggle to start it. Seems like it would flood out instantly so I took it apart.
I found that the hoses for the primer bulb were backwards! I simply switched them around and then it would start on the first pull every time since.

The hose issue is probably isolated to just my saw but the thing that really kills it for me is the one single nut holding the bar.
I think that is causing all the problems with chain tension on this model.

Otherwise it's a nice light saw with plenty of power, cut's fast, easy to service and the price is decent.
Come on Husqvarna, add another nut/bolt to the bar and you would have a winner.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›