Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on June 1, 2011
Had need of a new saw to replace an older one that was starting to give me trouble. besides that I have been wanting a second saw and this gave me a good excuse to get one. I typically cut 8 to 10 cord per year for the past 30 years and have had experience with several types and sizes. My favorite was the Husky 55 which I still have but needs some work. I checked out the reviews on the Husky 50 with the most being very good with a few bad reviews but then I saw the same with Stihl reviews so I came to the conclusion some people don't really know much about starting or using a chain saw. Anyhow Amazon had this one for a price that couldn't be beat so I thought I would take a chance on buying it online as opposed to a dealer. I wasn't disappointed. No problem with start-up. The first job I had was to clean up some storm damage. Had a large red oak uproot. At the stump it was about 29" diameter. This saw cut through that like a knife through butter. I cut up that tree in no time. The main reason I went with the smaller saw was lower weight. As one gets older that extra pound or so hanging out there can make a difference on the the back feels afterwards. I just like the way this saw feels in my hand and am impressed with its performance. This model isn't a professional model but for the work as a homeowner on over 5 acres of woodland this saw is perfect.
22 comments|232 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 20, 2011
In my humble homeowner opinion, there are two good chain saws on the market today. Stihl and Husqvarna. The Husky 450 is an excellent medium size saw for the homeowner like me. I like the saw because it is easy to start, quiet and powerful. I would recommend it to anyone. The 18 inch bar works for the size tree I typically cut. I keep the chains sharp and have several on hand to change in the field. The bar tool comes with the saw for easy chain changeout. My two sons also use the saw and rate it as highly as I do!
0Comment|101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 19, 2010
If you don't know how to start a chainsaw than you should not be using one! Once the saw fires you turn the choke off and pull the start cord. If you keep trying to start it with the choke on it will flood the engine. Read the user's manual, it talks about it in the manual. I just purchased the 450 and it cuts like a dream and has the power to really do the trick. I like the fact that I can put a 20" bar on this saw and have the power to get the job done. I'm not having any issues getting the saw to run even in below freezing temps. Make sure you use winter grade bar oil if you cut in the winter. It's only been two days of solid cutting but this machine has out preformed my last saw. Hopefully with good maintenance habits I can keep this thing around for a long time. Oh yea...wear chaps and a helmet. I love that macho attitude with no protective gear. You'd be amazed at how fast you can bleed out when you hit an artery!

Be Safe...
22 comments|110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 9, 2011
This is my first chainsaw. I only wanted to buy a chainsaw once, so I did some research online and in the ACE store. I have a healthy fear of chainsaws and read the manual completely through as well as watched several safety videos on YouTube (I highly recommend that). This saw starts super easy if you READ the manual. This saw runs great, cuts like a knife through butter (70' trees) and is easy to acclimate to. I got lucky with an in-store grand opening sale and got the saw, case and extra chain for the price of just the saw. I would recommend this saw to my friends. In fact one of my friends has a Homelite chainsaw and Raved at how fast my saw rips through wood and works much better than his. I also recommend the Husqvarna 2 cycle mixing oil with Sta-bil. Stored my saw since the Fall and it started right away in the Spring. I did have a problem with the chain that came with it, but the store just gave me a new one and I was on my way.

Very happy with the saw.
on October 9, 2015
Do not buy this saw! It has to be adjusted by a certified Husqvarna service center before it can be used!

I bought this saw to cut some wood from trees that had been previously felled. I carefully read the advertisement and the instructions.
I carefully used the saw for about 2 hours. I changed the spark plug, air and fuel filters. The saw then refused to start. I contacted Husqvarna customer service and was told by Heather that since I bought the saw from Amazon that there was nothing that they would do for me!!!!! She told me that the saw MUST be adjusted by the service center prior to being used because it is CARB compliant. She said that the saw would operate for about two hours, but then could not be started. She then said I should have bought the saw from a certified dealer so that they could have made the adjustment. Heather told me that she didn't care about my problem.

The fact that the saw had to be adjusted prior to use cannot be found in ANY of the advertisements or related literature!

Amazon has made the transaction right.........BUT I CAUTION ANYONE WHO MIGHT WANT TO BUY THIS SAW......DO NOT BUY IT FROM AMAZON UNLESS YOU FANCY A TRIP TO THE SERVICE CENTER ALSO!
on October 2, 2011
I live in the Maine Paperwoods. I have cut truckloads of pulpwood, have a sawmill and heat with wood. I have been using a chainsaw over forty years now. I have two Husky 350 saws (one just out of the box when my 25 yr old Jonesred's pull cord plastic spring holder broke with no new parts available). I always have a backup and one in the box new because I depend on them so much (that makes three saws). I was shopping for a replacement when I came across two poor reviews on the 450. I spent the day in the woods today bucking up firewood from trees that have dried over the summer. I have a friend with a Husky 450 (it is almost identical in size and power as my two 350s which have recently been discontinued). I tried to count how many seconds it took to cut through a 3 inch maple or white birch limb. It turns out it is quicker than I can say "Jack Robinson". If I were not carful it would cut through the limb and then through my leg quicker than I could say "Boo". If the person gets his saw figured out if he is not careful folks might call him "Stumpy". This saw cuts through softwood limbs like through a roll of toilet paper and doesn't even slow down. A 12 inch maple takes ten seconds. This is a semi-professional (if not professional) saw. It is easy to repair with affordable parts [...] and can be fixed on a stump most of the time. Jonesred is a good saw, but parts availability can be a serious issue. Stihl is highly regarded by some (arborists), but they can only be bought through local dealers and parts are tightly controlled and handled by the same. Bar nuts can be as much as $3.50 each or more! The 350 came with open drivers on the centrifugal clutch which drives the chain. When cutting brush and small limbs sometimes the chain will jump off; the open driver tears up the chain which in turn tears up the bar in short order (it took me a while to figure out this problem with the 350). Bailey's Online has a new clutch drum and a removable internal driver which works perfectly through untold mountains of wood and brush. If the 450 comes with an open driver I will change it before I use it. I get almost all my sawing supplies from Bailey's.
I would advise using freshly mixed fuel in the tank, and oil. Give the pull cord a couple yanks with the choke on, and then yank again. If this fellow follows these directions there should be a terrible roaring sound (has to be endured for proper operation). If it still does not cut the only other possibility is the chain is on backwards! I did that once on the coast of Maine. The old fellow I was cutting with still teases me about how badly my saw cut after the extensive rebuild I had completed (I was so happy my saw was running so well it was not immediately obvious why it only scratched the firewood).
If he gets it running correctly, please wear a saw hat (helmet with brush shield and ear protectors), saw pants or chaps and be exceedingly careful. I run skidders, tractors, dozers, excavators, dump trucks, loaders and many other dangerous machines; but, this chainsaw takes the cake when it comes to dangerous. Do not cut over your head; keep your feet and legs far away from the running chain. I am afraid a boy has bought a man's tool (but then I was a boy once, everyone starts somewhere).

I will buy this saw and give it 5 stars based on the 350s and the hands on use of a 450.
44 comments|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 25, 2015
This review is not about any piece of the ordering or delivery process. All that gets five stars. Easy and quick as drinking a cold beer on a hot day.

No, this is about Husqvarna. Two days ago, if I had written a Husqvarna review it would have been a five star review. I had a Husky saw I bought in Colorado that I used for well over a decade. As a matter of fact, I would probably be using it now were it not for an idiot I hired to cut some deadfall who put unmixed gas in it.

But I am here to tell you that Husqvarna has slid far, far downhill. The saw that arrived on my doorstep had a chain adjusted so tight it was immobilized. The chain adjustment screw must have been tightened down with a pneumatic screwdriver in the Legal Department, because I had to take great care and use my own tools (not the little piece of junk packed with the saw) just to avoid stripping the screw. I adjusted the chain, put some Husqvarna mix and chain oil in the saw, and went out to cut some wood. The saw - my brand-new, expensive saw - simply would not start. In fact, it never has started.

I called Husqvarna Customer Service to see if there was something I was doing wrong. They had no idea. None. Couldn't provide any Customer Service beyond answering the phone, reading a seemingly interminable verbatim line of legalese written to disclaim any responsibility for anything at any time under any circumstances including the product they sell, and providing somebody else's phone number. They told me I had to take my brand-new, expensive saw to an Authorized Repair Center. I did. This morning. The tech couldn't start it either. So this was not a case of Stupid User Syndrome. This was a case of poor quality control. A brand new saw, never started, and I'm driving an hour both ways to put it in the shop. With a two week (minimum) wait. And pay a $21 "deposit" in case I decide to skip town and run out on a justifiably $0 service bill and don't come back to pick up my $400 brand new saw. Makes sense, eh? I suppose I should consider myself fortunate there is an Authorized Service Center within driving distance, because the Warranty clearly states that "costs to transport or ship the product are your [the purchaser's] responsibility". Get this straight: if Husqvarna doesn't keep up their quality, YOU pay. Inspires confidence, doesn't it?

When I spoke with the Authorized Service Center employee(s), they were careful to state that IF the work required was under warranty etc etc.... Since it was a brand-new, unsullied, sawdust-free, immaculate saw that had not even spun the chain one revolution because neither I nor the Authorized technician could start it, I asked "What could possibly be wrong with the saw that IS NOT UNDER WARRANTY"? A reasonable question, I thought, under the circumstances. The response was "I don't know, sir." This Authorized Service Center was obviously hand-picked with great care by Husqvarna corporate to ensure a positive customer experience and hire personnel who encourage trust by exhibiting a professional knowledge of the product.

I could go on and on about the poor quality control that delivers a dead saw, the miserable state of the User's Manual, my experience with the local, Authorized Service Center selected by Husqvarna, and the totally witless, unhelpful, and derriere-covering customer representative parrots at the toll-free number, but what would be the point?

Bottom line: I will never buy another Husqvarna roduct.
on November 24, 2008
I LOVE this chainsaw. It has an IMMENSE amount of power for such a seemingly small tool, it starts without trouble, is easy to adjust (once you can decipher the instructions), and can take down trees like they were small twigs. It even comes with instructions on how to properly limb a tree, and how to take down the tree itself. Well worth the money. I used it for close to three hours without shutting it off, and it did not overheat or lose power, and shamed the electric chainsaw we were using concurrently. LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!
on January 8, 2015
If I could give this chainsaw 10 stars, I would! It is simply the BEST chainsaw I've ever owned and I recommend it to anyone and everyone. In fact, I have recommended it to many people since my purchase and will continue to do so. I'm am SO incredibly happy with my purchase and actually look forward to using it now. It is worth every penny.
For years I bought those $100-$200 Homelites, Craftsman and Poulans from places like Home Depot, Sears and even K-Mart. Every time I thought I was the cat's meow for pouncing on such a great deal on a chainsaw and every single time ended in utter disappointment. Every one only lasted a few years -- at most. Every single one had trouble starting after a few months -- to the point of sheer frustration! I always thought that was how chainsaws were though! You got one good season out of them and then they gave you trouble to the point where you tossed them out and bought another. I always wondered why they couldn't make a reliable, cost efficient chainsaw that lasted a long time.
Now I know! Now I know that you get what you pay for.
I own 26 acres and have TONS of mature trees on the property. They are always falling. Always blocking the road or trails. So, I use chainsaws a lot. I decided to save up and purchase one that had great reviews -- both here on Amazon and on Consumer Reports. This chainsaw had exactly what I wanted....it was cost efficient, long-lasting, light weight, reliable and had some extra bells and whistles too. Since my purchase, I've cut down over 125 trees with it and cut up enough fallen timber to make a wood pile 6 feet wide, 20 feet long and 4.5 feet high. Some of the trees I cut down were saplings, some were mid-size and some were 25 inch diameter 95-foot tall monsters. And after all that, the chainsaw still purrs like a kitten. I have not had to sharpen the chain yet either (even though I received a new chain as a gift for Christmas).
This chainsaw is a dream! From the first time I first started it until the last time I used it last month for the season, it starts on either the first, second or third pull. I have never had any problems with it at all. It is efficient on gas and can run for a good 30-40 minutes straight on one tank.
There are three really cool features with this chainsaw too:
The shocks on the handle! They really cut down on vibrations to the point where if the saw did not make any sound, you would not be able to tell you are even cutting with a chainsaw. So cool! Gone are the days of having sore arms or having that "vibration" feeling in your limbs for an hour after using one of those cheap crappy saws. It cuts like butter too. The saw is surprisingly light for its size and appearance, but the weight of the saw alone is enough pressure to cut through any tree when cutting downward. And the cuts are true and straight every time too. I always had problems with my old saws when cutting up large diameter trees. The cut would start to curve halfway through the limb and by the time I cut through, the cut-line was curved to the left and off center on the far side of the limb. It was because the chain did not have the proper angle sharpness due to wear and tear. Not so with this one -- even after all the trees I've cut up and downed. The blade is still cutting as if brand new! Still straight and true. It really makes it so much easier than I was used to.
The second cool thing is the gas and chain bar oil run simultaneous. Meaning that when you run out of gas, you also run out of chain bar oil. Also gone are the days of constantly having to open the chain bar oil reservoir and checking the oil level. When your gas runs out, your oil runs out and as long as you fill both to the top each time, you will never, ever run out of chain oil in the middle of a job.
The third and best feature is the pull start "smart start" feature. This makes it SOOO easy to start the saw. You use a bare minimum of effort to pull the cord to start it. It is so easy to pull the cord and start it.
Another cool little feature is the gas tank has a white plastic "window" to gauge how much gas is left.
I haven't had any problems with oil leakage at all.
There are more excellent little features that make this chainsaw the best too: the oil and gas caps are extremely easy to open. The caps on my old saws were a bitch to open and I always hated having to carry pliers with me to help me turn and open them. These turn easy and the grooves never clog with dust or chips. Even if they get "tight", there are screwdriver holes in the caps to help turn them. That hasn't happened to me yet, but it is nice to know they will never feel like they are welded on.
The emission output is great too. You aren't sitting in a noxious fog of gas fumes while you cut. That is really nice!
The only problem I had is the directions. They could be a little more clear and they could be "words". Instead, they are filled with tiny pictures. Weird, I know, but as long as you follow the pics, you won't have any problem at all. I do think they should revamp the directions, but that is an ever so slight gripe.
Overall, buy this saw if you are looking for a workhorse saw that you can rely on for doing any and everything you need a saw to do. Color me impressed because now I'm a lifelong Husqvarna fan and won't buy anything else. You get premium features on this saw that cost much more on other saws. From its ergonomic and light weight design, reliability, fuel efficiency and ease of operation this is a must buy for anyone!
on August 13, 2014
I probably know better than to write a review when I'm ticked off, but right now...I'm ticked off at this saw. I've used the 450 for probably close to 16 hours, been a fine saw. I've had a couple minor issues with it, but nothing like I am now. I've been able to fell good size trees, recover quite a bit of firewood and generally keep my forested property well maintained. The saw was plenty powerful for what I needed and felt comfortable for a day's hard work. I was excited to finally have a Husqvarna...all seemed well.

Previously, my biggest issue has been undocumented procedures when it comes to replacing the chain. It's possible to get the thing where you can't put it back together because there's a critical step missing in the manual. Before changing the chain, you have to set the brake (missing in the manual, only marginal common sense), otherwise, when you put the thing back together, the clutch won't engage right and you'll spend two or three hours wondering what you did wrong. No where in the manual is the procedure to fix this...I had to look online for my symptom and only then did I find some forum post about how to resolve this frustrating event. It's not an intuitive procedure and you'll feel like you're going to break the saw...but it does work and does finally go back together.

The other issue I have is that this particular model, the 450, is that it's combined with other models in the manual. This type of thing normally doesn't present major difficulties, but in this saw's case, the dissimilarities between models could present some challenges. There are physical differences as well as location differences for major systems, such as the chain adjustment, than what's documented in the manual...more of a pet peeve, but I want my manual to explain the product that I bought, not just a representation of what I bought.

This brings us to now and why I'm going on an utter rage against this saw and only give it one star. The problem is, I just had a goodly little thunderstorm and I have a fairly large tree down right in my driveway and it's blocking access in and out of my house to the point of impassable. I leave tomorrow for a month long road trip with hardly any extra time, no big deal...I'll just fire up the saw and deal with the remains when I get back. I spent two hours trying to start the saw to no avail, finally had to say to heck with it and start hauling a ton of heavy gear 1/4 mile to the truck. Tried again and again. No dice, no matter the start up procedure I use. Now, I'm not unfamiliar with this saw...I've started it probably hundreds of times without difficulty, so this is decidedly abnormal. I've replaced the fuel, checked for spark, tried a carb spray start and yanked on it a hundred times...but I can't get the thing to turn over. Frankly, if a saw fails me when I need it the most (right NOW!), it's getting sold and I'll buy something else that isn't a Husqvarna. I've looked on the reviews here and found people requiring repairs due to no-start after only a short amount of use...probably the case here as well. I won't even bother, I'll just let someone else deal with this expensive letdown and get something that won't let me down when I need it the most.

My opinion is probably biased 'cause I'm really really mad right now. It's a good saw when it works, but if your life and livelihood depend on it like I do, then it's a serious flaw when it's not working as expected.

Edit: Cooler heads eventually prevailed and I opted to take this into the shop, because while it was running, it was a fine and enjoyable saw to use. Something or another was adjusted and voila, the saw starts fine now. I did end up buying a slightly smaller backup saw to clear the above mentioned tree, and in the event this issue happens again. Wish I didn't have to do that for a saw with just over 16 hours on it. (And thus why I won't change my review stars. Had I been on the other side of the tree, I would have dealt with the saw a lot less humanely!) Bottom line is I need that level of operational trust with a saw to live where I do, gotta be able to cut your way out if it comes to that! I probably could have pursued a warranty claim, but it wasn't that much to service it...the point was having to service it after just over a couple full day's work on it. Seems I'm just waiting for the next day for it to break down again...but if it doesn't for a few years, I might come back and edit my review again.

Ultimately, I don't not recommend this saw, it is a pretty good one and certainly gets the job done. Just maybe something not to stake your livelihood or survival on, without an adequate backup anyway.