5.0 out of 5 stars American made quality at its very best
Looked at and read reviews on many mowers before deciding on this mower from a local dealer. It has a heavy steel frame and an OHV Kohler motor that is stronger and larger than the Honda in this price range. The cast iron motor means less problems with overheating and damage compared to aluminum engines, and there are less moving parts. And the OHV engine is more fuel...
Published on April 15, 2011 by Tim, sales mgr

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid frame and engine---flimsy electric system---warranty a joke
Purchased this Husqvarna XT722FE mower thru AMAZON in April 11. Easy to assemble but noticed a rather flimsy plug connection and electic wiring( the fuse hangs between the handle uorights and connection to starter is two basic wires hanging out above the deck) After second use, the mower would not start as battery did not appear to have charged....thought it was a bad...
Published on May 15, 2011 by not hard2please

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really moving on a slope, June 23, 2011
Wen Shen (Las Vegas, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Husqvarna XT722FE 22-Inch 173cc Kohler XT-7 3-N-1 Variable Speed FWD Self Propelled Lawn Mower With Electric Start (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Lawn & Patio)
Could not start the engine at the first. Later, found the plug wire was not connected (the factory default setting?). The manual does not say need to connect that wire before start the engine.

Good: Easy and quick start by just truning the key. It can be folded to put into a small space.

Bad: The threads on the wheels are not deep enough, lacking the necessary frinction to move up on a slope; sometimes even on a leveled ground. The bag is small, if not too small.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissatisfied, October 5, 2012
WAH "wahickey2" (Williamsburg, KY United States) - See all my reviews
[[ASIN:B003CJTWEG Husqvarna XT722FE 22-Inch 173cc Kohler XT-7 3-N-1 Variable Speed FWD Self Propelled Lawn Mower With Electric Start I bought a 21 inch XT-7 and it has been one problem after another. First it started sounding like it was cutting out and finally it quit. I figured it was an electronic module. I replaced it 8 days after my warranty had expired. Then it was the pull cord. The last two mowers I owned I never ever replaced a pull cord. Now I have another problem with the automatic choke. I am now researching the problem so I can repair it myself. I would not accept another Husqvarna mower with a Kohler Engine if it were free. I don't appreciate having to spend all this time working on a mower. I think the main problem is that it is made in China. I would not have bought it if I had known this.

Update: From what I can determine it is the governor. This is a major problem one that I am not going to try to repair.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good mower, May 8, 2011
We have only had this mower a few weeks so I cannot yet report on dependability but it started well out of the box. It has plenty of power and is able to be adapted to either mulch or bag clippings. We are using it as a mulching mower. It pulls well and we are able to easily adjust the speed according to our energy level and the terrain or grass height.

5.0 out of 5 stars Husquevarna best I've ever owned!!, March 31, 2011
Have owned some of the best top name mower's but none have come close to the Husquevarna. Even get help from wife while I work on other thing's.Easy start tracks well and front wheel drive is easy on turns.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, but OK, June 28, 2011
This mower is OK but the small rear wheels really hurt the self propelled performance. The Kohler motor is powerfull but almost always takes three pulls to start it when it's cold but only one when it's warm. The electric start is a waste on a motor this small, it's a little trouble to plug it in to keep the battery charged. Overall it cuts good but I'll never have another mower with small rear wheels and an electric start.

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful mower, May 19, 2011
The packing for this unit isn't good enough. My original unit arrived damaged. There is nothing in the box to protect the mower if it's dropped or impacted during shipping. I called Amazon and they made it right by sending another unit. The next unit was fine. The spark plug was unplugged so it took me a minute to figure that out but once I discovered that it started on the first crank. The key starting is a nice feature. I have the proverbial yard from hell, not huge but with everything from thick Bermuda grass to rocks, mud pits, giant ant hills, steep inclines. everything. This Kohler engine powers through the thick Bermuda that other mowers choke on. It allows me to cut fast. The self propelling works good enough. If I had to do it over I'd choose a rear wheel drive because of the steeper grades in my yard but if your yard is relatively flat you won't have a problem. Even though I have to help it up hills it's still pulling quite a bit. When you drop the drive stick it shows you how much it's pulling. Some pictures of this mower show a different throttle control, the one you get will be the single bar across the bottom of the handle. The more you pull it in the faster it goes. If it's gotten through my yard twice without falling apart it's probably a solid mower. It does a better job of mulching than my last mulching mower.

EDIT: After a summer of cutting the mower did well. When the bermuda gets really thick in the summer the mower can't quite get through it will the mulch option unless you just inch along. With the side discharge option it still powers through pretty good. In these cases it's best to just side discharge and them go over again with the bag if you want to pick it up.

EDIT: After second season cutting grass mower still running strong.
EDIT: After third season mower still runs like new

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money!, May 7, 2011
I have bought two of these mowers in the last three years, both were defective. I wish I had known what poor quality they were and spent my money on one good mower first. I have now purchased a MTD Brute mower and it is superior in quality even though it costs less.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice mower but..., April 17, 2012
I had to replace the blade during the first use. I don't have a golf course lawn, not even close, but I've never bent a blade as badly as this one bent. I don't care for the variable drive. I wish I had bought a mower with drive speeds to select. It seems to me that changing the speed by allowing the belt to slip is not a good drive system.

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't start after 1 year., March 20, 2012
I purchased one like this (no electric start) at Sears and it worked great for a year.
After it has sat idle during the winter I could not get it to start in the spring.
I even put a manual choke on the motor, that worked for a few months.
I was so fed up with this mower I went and purchased a Honda.
The Honda starts on first pull. Amazing.

From what I have read this is a common problem on the motor Kohler 173CC.
Most people have replaced the carburetor and put a fuel shut-off (and run it out of gas) so the fuel does not set in the carburetor.

2.0 out of 5 stars I shuld have known better, December 7, 2011
Windy (Whidbey Island) - See all my reviews
This mower is $100 - $150 less than a comparable Honda and the motor has an electric start. And that, along with the price, pulled me away from buying the Honda. Every now and then I am pulled away from what I know I should buy - a Honda or a Stihl. I don't think I've ever been happy with the decision or saved money in the long-run.

The electric start was important because my wife said that if she didn't have to pull a chord (and it is self-propelled), then she'd help with the mowing - that hasn't happened yet. I was replacing a Honda Harmony 215 which had been heavily used for 4 years (bought used). I'm pretty sure that mowing on a side-slope did it in. The comparable Honda was not only more costly but did not have an electric start.

For me there are two obvious (and immediate) reasons why this purchase was a mistake. They are problems that a little research would have prevented: 1) Unlike the Honda, the blade has to be engaged for the wheels to drive, 2) I am use to adjusting throttle/choke to get the engine to start in less than ideal conditions.

So #1 means that if you have 100 yds from the shed to the mowing spot it has to be pushed with no assist (engine off/blade disengaged) unless the blade can be turning - I have to cross over gravel. #2 means that if the temperature is cold or if the plug needs to be replaced, there is no carburetor adjustment option to just cranking on the starter or pulling until it starts. I gave up the last time, pretty sure the battery was running down, and gave it a shot of ether.

Now other than the obvious there is the overall quality. I relied on the names "Husqvarna" and "Kohler" (would not have bought it if it was a Briggs and Stratton) as part of my purchase decision. I doubt I will be able to put up with this mower long enough to find out if the Kohler can take the same beating as the Honda but it's easy to see right off that they really cut corners on the quality and gauge of the chassis. The blade was the first thing that surprised me. My lawn is a "challenge" but I've NEVER bent a blade before - dinged severally so I have to grind extensively, yes, but to have to throw away? Just the feel of the mower is light weight compared to the Honda.

I also don't think that I will have this mower long enough to see how long the drive belt lasts before the assembly freezes up or breaks. It's on a spindle and pulley under the deck - in the grass! This mower really must be intended for mowing half-inch high grass only. I can't believe someone engineered a drive mechanism that struggles to work in the middle of the debris field. I think I'll try to sell this in the Spring because I'm pretty sure that the thing will be unstartable or the drive system broken by the middle or end of next mowing season. I'll buy a Honda. I've learned my lesson - again.

I gave this a 2-star (instead of 1) rating only because it hasn't stopped running for me yet - I just feel it coming.