4.0 out of 5 stars Making sense out of life
Chasing an illusive dream? Frustrated and angry with how life is turning out despite your very best attempts to make those dreams come true? Or perhaps through your drive and ambition you have reached the top of the ladder of the ‘American dream’ only to discover that the ladder has been placed against the wrong wall.
In Hustling God, Dr. Barnes uses...
Published on November 27, 2002 by Ross McQuarrie

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed
My husband is waiting for this book to do a Bible Study with some men and I never received my first order. I was quickly refunded and am now waiting for the second book to arrive. If it doesn't come soon, I am done with Amazon, I think. What is up???? I am very disappointed.
Published 10 months ago by Jeanne H McDonough

4.0 out of 5 stars Making sense out of life, November 27, 2002
Ross McQuarrie (Langley, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hustling God (Paperback)
In Hustling God, Dr. Barnes uses the life of Jacob to show that “the only good dreams come from God. And God insists on simply giving them to us.” By hustling God, manipulating our circumstances or other people we are likely to miss the blessings that God wants to shower on us that bring lasting meaning and joy to life.
This book spoke powerfully into my life on how to find personal peace and hope in a world fixated on achievement, success, and the material trappings of life. Highly readable but profound in its content, Hustling God should be on every thoughtful Christian’s ‘must read’ list.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow, this book is me, July 17, 2007
This review is from: Hustling God (Paperback)
What a fantastic book. Barnes follows the story of Jacob in the Bible, the striver. He shows how Jacob never really believed that God blessed him, and shows how we do the same. He uses examples from our lives that make it so real -- for example, most people believe God is out there and loves people, but few believe he loves US. He even says that on Sunday he's worshipping God but forgets about God come Monday when the stresses hit.

I particularly liked the chapter on Finding Love. He shows how Jacob's love of Rachel is a lesson in fantasy love. According to Barnes, Jacob was not in love with Rachel, but in love with the idea of being in love. So he works 7 years to make his fantasy come true, and then he marries both of the sisters. Then he works another 7 years to make his fantasy into a reality. Hence, don't chase fantasies. Barnes points out that all of us marry Leah and Rachel, meaning, there's the part of that person we don't want and the part we want. We get both, whether we like it or not.

He continues to draw from examples at work and in the personal life. When one finishes the book, one is left in deep thought about all the blessings in life and how we just need to ask God to show us the blessing, rather than trying to work so hard for it all the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hustling God by M. Craig Barnes, July 10, 2011
This review is from: Hustling God (Paperback)
This is an excellent book that satisfactorily clarifies many of the basic questions of life, such as finding the best way to endure suffering, and counting on the faithfulness of a Faithful God. It is life-changing and wisdom-producing. I have recommended it to many, and have purchased this book for gifts because it is excellent.

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, February 27, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars thought-provoking, speak the truth, October 7, 2013
This review is from: Hustling God (Paperback)
Craig Barnes has done it again! A truly inspiring thought-provoking book. It made me look at the story of Jacob in the Old Testament in a whole new light as he relates Jacob to present-day human struggles and frustrations. I've read the book straight through TWICE now and will probably read it again.

Hustling God
Hustling God by M. Craig Barnes (Hardcover - March 1, 1999)
Used & New from: $0.01