5.0 out of 5 stars A must if you love department stores or Baltimore
This is a great easy read filled with wonderful pictures and great tales of Baltimore's old and beloved department store. This book really explains why Hutzler's is Baltimore. Beautifully written. If you are interested in Baltimore, history, or department stores, you will love this.
Published on November 22, 2009 by Grandma Annie

2.0 out of 5 stars Hoped for More
Published on September 6, 2012 by TR Douglas

5.0 out of 5 stars A must if you love department stores or Baltimore, November 22, 2009
This review is from: Hutzler's (MD): Where Baltimore Shops (Landmarks) (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, Easy Read with lots of Extras, November 24, 2009
A fun read about an old Baltimore institution; especially loved the additions of photos and recipes(!!!). I miss Hutzler's and bought the book for a bunch of my family members for Christmas because I loved it so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories of bygone days, March 31, 2010
HUTZLER'S - Where Baltimore shops, brought back so many happy memories, not only of Hutzler's, but of all the downtown stores that used to be.
One thing that I thought was conspicuous by its absence was not mentioning anything about Hutzler's downtown garage that you entered and exited onto Mulberry St. and where packages were delivered from the store and picked up by customers when they got their cars. It was a great service as were many of the other services Hutzlers offered.
The references were well documented and made for much nostalgia of pre-war and post war times in the major retail area of Baltimore.
I've recommended the book to several friends who knew the area as well as I did. I'm eager for my older chldren to read it but they will only have sketchy memories except for the Towson store.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hoped for More, September 6, 2012
I grew up in the shadow of the Towson store and my father worked at Hutzler's, so I really wanted to enjoy this book. Sadly, I was disappointed. I had hoped for a more in-depth look at the family and their store, from its origins and through the years to its eventual decline. While the book does have these elements, they are very lightly treated. Within the span of 15 pages (on my Kindle), we speed from the Hutzler Brothers setting up shop to its 75th anniversary.

While the scope of the book was clearly intended to be local, I wanted more context to show Hutzler's in its times. The store lived through several transformative eras that created and defined society, cities, culture, commerce and retailing. I would have enjoyed reading about how and why the store grew and flourished in these times.

In the end, while I'm sure many will enjoy this book for its numerous personal recollections and fond memories, it should not be confused with a serious work that examines and explains how Hutzler's was truly built, and ultimately lost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hutzlers: Where Baltimore Shops, a review., November 2, 2012
Joel Hutzler (WESTON, CT, US) - See all my reviews
How do you rate this item? 5 stars selected

5 stars

2. Please enter a title for your review:

Item being reviewed
Hutzler's (MD): Where Baltimore Shops (Landmarks)

Michael J. Lisicky has an interesting style of writing and completed his research carefully before putting his manuscript in print. It was a tough subject to tackle. He covers many of the background facts of the founding and operation of the 132-year family dynasty without becoming too serious and text-bookish. There are many family stories that he omitted, perhaps because he was not aware of them or perhaps because they were excessive.
The downfall of the store would make an interesting sequel to this story. I found this book most entertaining.
Joel Hutzler, Jr. (A great grandson of Moses Hutzler who's three sons were THE Hutzler Brothers.)

5.0 out of 5 stars nostalgia at its best, December 25, 2009
This is a slim little book that has plenty of meat in it. Anyone who ever shopped at Hutzler's knows how special it was, and this book captures best fact and spirit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, January 23, 2011
For anyone who grew up in Baltimore over the age of 50...this is a must...it is so enjoyable and nostalgic...brings back so many pleasant memories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, February 14, 2010
I bought this book after going to see the author give a speech about Hutzler's. Very informative, and very easy to read! Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hutzler's (MD): Where Baltimore Shops, August 19, 2010
Received quickly and packaged nicely. Nice selection of books at a reasonable price. Will definitely buy from this seller again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hutzler's Where Baltimore Shops, February 14, 2010
Lovely book...I especially liked it since my Mother, who passed away just 3 years ago, and I were FREQUENT shoppers at Hutzler's. As a tiny child, we rode the bus "downtown" since Mom didn't drive. In my teen years, Hutzler's opened a store in the suburbs...Towson, MD where when I obtained my driver's license, I could take myself and some friends. In my adult years, I visited Hutzler's Tearoom, with my Aunt and Mother EVERY Saturday. Whoops, I almost forgot...before the tradition with Mother and my Aunt, Mother would take me and my older daughter there, EVERY Saturday, after her weekly allergy shot. The shot made my daughter lethargic, and she didn't REALLY enjoy lunch until the chocolate ice-cream clown made its appearance.
Another plus is that the book is written by a member of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra...with whom my husband and I have held season tix for over 30 years. I also support the Orchestra through its volunteer organization, the Baltimore Symphony Associates.

Hutzler's (MD): Where Baltimore Shops (Landmarks)
Hutzler's (MD): Where Baltimore Shops (Landmarks) by Michael J. Lisicky (Paperback - October 30, 2009)
$19.99 $15.82
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.