5.0 out of 5 stars Very forgiving! Very well designed! No more `rats!'
I was shopping for a garage ceiling storage system and, based upon the Amazon reviews, I settled on this one. I've been very happy. Not only was the HyLoft Overhead Storage System less expensive than others (and Amazon easily had the best price), I've found it to be very forgiving and very well designed.

The foundation of the HyLoft system are a pair of rigid...
Published on October 8, 2004 by MartyHansen

3.0 out of 5 stars Convenient storage, so-so design
This is constructed of heavy duty steel, and is fairly easy (although frustrating at times) to install for one person. Installation takes about 1 to 1.5 hours for the first rack for someone relatively competent with simple tools, but might take longer depending on where it is being installed.

I installed mine on a ceiling with a step in it, where it changes...
Published on January 17, 2007 by E. J Tastad

5.0 out of 5 stars Very forgiving! Very well designed! No more `rats!', October 8, 2004
MartyHansen (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HyLoft 540 45-Inch-by-45-Inch Overhead Storage System, White (Tools & Home Improvement)

The foundation of the HyLoft system are a pair of rigid trapeze like structures which hang down from the ceiling. They can be spaced any number of distances apart -- wherever your ceiling joists (beams) are -- which is very convenient. (With other systems, by contrast, the distances between the supports are fixed). What's also great about the HyLoft system is that it goes up in very small pieces. First the ceiling brackets, then the arms and cross-braces, and finally the three-piece grate which makes up the base. It's easily a one-man job, so no one needs to hang around to help hold the unit up against the ceiling for you.

Lastly, it's also not absolutely critical that everything be placed in exactly the right place. If you're off by a little here or you're a little crooked there, everything is still going to work out fine.

The most difficult part of the entire process is finding the edges of the joist, but this has been made easier too. Just get one of the newer stud finders from Zircon. Mine blinks and throws out a line of light when it reaches the EDGE of the joist. I use blue masking tape (rather than pencil) to keep my ceiling clean. Having both edges marked allowed me to hammer and drill with confidence. (I didn't make a single bad hole once!)

Each 45" x 45" unit is precisely sized to fit those 15 gallon red-topped plastic storage boxes one gets at Home Depot. Each HyLoft rack will hold a DOZEN boxes each! I had originally ordered the 4 ft. by 4 ft. HyLoft racks, but Amazon sent me the 45" x 45" version instead. But since each unit still held twelve storage boxes, I was just as happy! And the slightly smaller size gave me more room around the sides - which made loading boxes into it that much easier.

I have a three-car garage with roll-up doors (one is a double), and I was able to put up five racks (fully extended to 27") in the area behind the garage door motors. That's 5 x 12 boxes or 60 boxes total storage! I was also able to mount two more racks towards the front - above where the doors roll up into - on the double-sized door. Since these were limited to 16" inches in depth, I was only able to hold another six boxes on each (twelve all together for both), for a total of 72 boxes of storage (or the rough equivalent when one takes into account the odd-size pieces of luggage, picnic coolers, tool boxes, and the like). This left my floor totally clear - for bicycles and my lawnmower -- which I had a hard time getting to earlier! (Needless to say, my garage was an absolute mess before I got the HyLofts!)

Since the HyLoft units are limited to about 250 pounds each, I put the heavier items in the front racks which could only hold a single layer of boxes.

My wife was exceptionally pleased - but mainly because she was confident that we had rats living in and amongst all of the boxes. (We didn't, but I didn't mind that she thought that - since it kept her out of the garage, and my little domain! "Hey honey, was that a rat?") Now she's talking about putting a billiards table or a ping pong table in the garage, so I guess making the change was definitely for the better.

The HyLoft Overhead Storage System is one that I would wholeheartedly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply the best storage you can buy, September 28, 2005
John Peters (Boynton Beach, Florida) - See all my reviews
Truly awesome, and awe inspiring. I have two of these in my garage now, and I think I will eventually fill up most of my ceiling space with these HyLoft systems. They are a cinch to install, the hardest part for me was to find the studs in the ceiling to hang from. (Hint: if you have a crappy studfinder like I do that doesn't work through popcorn ceilings, just try banging nails into the ceiling every inch or two, until one sticks or is hard to pound in. That's the stud.)

Although I was a bit nervous at first standing/sitting under one of these overhead storage systems, both of my crappy installations have help up for 6 months or more, with no loosening, etc.

Their adjustability is nice, but maybe not really needed, after you have the system installed you're not going to really want to adjust the height of it, but I guess you can if you need to. I have it adjusted to about in the middle for height, and I can put full-size totes/rubbermaid storage bins on the shelfs, and have room for more of my clutter on top of them.

Maybe someday I will be able to park my car in my garage using these HyLoft systems.

Nah, I'll just probably buy more crap.

From Amazon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Convenient storage, so-so design, January 17, 2007

I installed mine on a ceiling with a step in it, where it changes height by about 10". I liked how I could adjust each support individually to the length I needed to hang halfway under the step of the ceiling. The starter nails to line up the small angle brackets on the ceiling were more trouble than they were worth as there was inadequate clearance for my hammer to get them in effectively. I gave up and just marked and drilled the holes for the support screws instead without using the nail. The nail is just for determining that you are in a stud, which I checked before hand.

Overall the installation is forgiving, you can be off about 1" on the measurements and still have a rack that fits, but this is only because my primary complaint about the design that follows.

Why I gave this 3 stars? The unit has no lateral support. It will swing a full 2" side to side because the vertical supports are just flat steel that are free to bend. Even fore-aft motion is only restrained by the bolts, so a strong bump would cause it to shift slightly forwards or backwards. The only direction that it supports weight is vertically, which is fine if you only use it for storage, but loading and unloading will cause the rack to swing. I will have to add some supports to prevent it from moving every time I load/unload wood.

4.0 out of 5 stars A real space saver, but a couple of tips would have been nice, October 1, 2006
Steve Shimkus (Glenview, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This is a very sturdy product. It is sized such that 4 of these fit over a 16' wide garage door, allowing for the door opener track to go between the middle two. The challenging part of the install is getting the brackets installed into the studs. Stud sensors don't work really well when there are 2 sheets of drywall on the garage ceiling. Fortunately, the lag screws they provide are 2 1/2" or 3" long, so they are plenty long enough.

Here are 2 tips I learned the hard way:

1) If you install these as close to the front of your garage as possible you will increase the risk of the garage door hitting the shelves, requiring you to raise the shelves and decrease the max storage height. This is because the door is making the turn from vertical to horizontal right near the front of the garage and the leading edge of each door panel reaches its highest point as it is making the turn. This caused me to need to move the shelves up one hole (about 2"). In hindsight, I should have moved the shelves one more stud away from the front of the garage and I would have avoided this conflict, while still keeping all my stuff over the garage door (when the door is raised).

2) When installing the actual shelves, make sure that the long bars of each shelf are on top, and the shorter bars are on the bottom. This will make sliding items on/off the shelves easier.

I wish these were mentioned in the instructions. Since most of my items still fit on the shelves over the garage door, I don't think I am going to take these back down and reinstall them just to get the extra 2" back. However, I have 2 big plastic storage totes which don't fit now but could if I get the 2" back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Look for the Improved Design at Costco, February 25, 2006
Phill "alienspine" (Oceanside, CA United States) - See all my reviews
The other reviews for this overhead storage system cover pretty much everything. This design (white racks pictured), is also the same that Lowes carries (grey and white). Sams club has a 2-pack of the same unit and design in chrome for about 100 dollars, saving you some money. But just recently I found these at Costco, but redesigned. Instead of flat metal strapping for the legs of the unit, they switched to a metal tube design. U-shaped and rigid makes the units very stable now, and easier to install. those were the two biggest problems I had with these orignal ones, 1) they sway too much when taking stuff up or down, and 2) they make for a very sloppy and uneven install since the legs and brackets are not rigid solid pieces. They are only available at Costco now, and only in chrome. The size is about the same, just short of 4 feet square. The price was 39.99 too, lower than these older designed ones. I highly recommend the newly designed units if you can find them at your local Costco, in the shelving isle. Now I can put stuff up and take it down without the swinging and swaying. It definetely feels more solid, like I could hang from the unit like monkey bars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Be careful which way your ceiling joists run!, November 4, 2006
I have 16"-on-center ceiling joists in my garage, so these didn't fit exactly (16" doesn't divide into ~45" evenly). I ended up having to hang them sideways which gave me narrow-end access into the storage. After putting 4 of them up this way, I realized how difficult it would be to get in and out of some of the units. I ended up taking them down and re-engineered everything.

I put up two 16-foot 2x4 studs perpendicular to the ceiling joists and used 7" lag bolts into the existing (sub-drywall) ceiling studs. This way, the Hyloft storage could run across a single pair of 2x4s for anchoring, yet still have the weight distributed across the ceiling joists. This was MUCH extra work, but was due to strictly following the rules the first time, without realizing how they would look once installed. Installing one of them on the ground is probably a good idea before putting up more than a few, and DEFINTELY measure. Lots.

You're going to need to know which way the ceiling joists run. If you want the shelving to run perpendicular to the ceiling joists, then you should probably add a secondary anchor point below the existing ceiling to distribute the weight. If you run them parallel, be careful not to anchor more than (I'd say) 2 onto any single/pair of ceiling joists. MAKE SURE YOU ARE CENTERED INTO ALL JOISTS!!

Notwithstanding my installation debacle above, they are very easy to install, and can be done pretty much by one person alone, though if you have a tall garage (mine is >13' high), you'll quickly get tired of going up and down the ladder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have installed about 10 of these so far in 2 houses and love them!, May 25, 2006
This is a great storage system. Although I have never been able to line them up like the picture they show, mainly due to studs being placed further apart then what is necessary. Also I would not want to since the struts would get in the way of loading and unloading. I have installed so many of these I have gotten pretty fast but not in 30 minutes like another posted suggested. Maybe I am too much a perfectionist but it takes me about 2 hours per loft. The hardest part is finding the studs, the studfinder is not always accurate and getting the screws centered on the stud can be a challenge. I tap nails into the drywall and if I hit wood the nail sticks, you can drill also which is much quieter and faster but its harder to be sure you have hit the stud until you tap a nail into what you think is wood. Once all the brackets are all installed it is a breeze. I make sure everything is tight and the drilled holes are filled with puddy and painted. I then do the hang, I weigh about 210 lbs and I hang with all my weight on the loft to make sure it holds, they always have, just grab the reinforced bars not the smaller mesh. I am half way thru installing in my new 2 car garage, when finished I will have 9 45x45 Hylofts and 4 Hyloft Jr's (Wow thats like $700, but totally worth it). I will not have to even touch the attic. Pretty amazing since normally this space is totally wasted in most garages. Much easier, faster, and stronger than building your own storage. 2 Thumbs way up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great storage solution, June 17, 2007
B. Campbell (California, USA) - See all my reviews
I've installed six of these Hyloft overhead shelves already and I think they're great. They gave me a lot of storage space in areas of my garage which would have never been used anyway.

Here are some installation tips that I picked up along the way.

Key items to have before starting:
- good stud finder
- corded or powerful cordless drill (my old 9.6V cordless drill was too weak)
- 7/16" Nutsetter (so that you can use your drill for the large lag screws)
- small 7/64" drill bit and 4 wood screws (instead of sinker nails)

Installation tips:
- use a good stud finder to find the joists. Then plan which joists should be used and how far away from the garage wall to place the shelves. I put some 1.5' away from the wall so that I could access both sides of the shelves. I put some others about 0.5' from the wall so that I could use the extra space as "overflow" for large boxes and also so that I could clean behind the shelves.
- Important: instead of using the provided sinker nails and trying to pound them above your head while not hitting the bracket, drill a hole first to make sure a joist is really there (stud finders can be misleading) and that no nail plate or other obstacle is there just beyond the drywall. Then use wood screws instead of the provided sinker nails. Don't drill in any of the large lag screws until you've confirmed placement for all four brackets. Trust me, this will save you a lot of frustration.
- if joining two shelves together, use the included plastic tie straps to join the shelves between the two units before fastening the shelves among the same unit (with the small screws).
- fasten all screws loosely (except the ones for the brackets) until everything is assembled and fitting together nicely, then tighten them.

The hardest part of the installation by far is determining the locations for the brackets and installing them. I would allocate about 2-3 hours from opening the box, completing the installation, to cleaning up.

One other thing to keep in mind is that there are different colors for the shelves. Some stores sell the white ones, while others sell the black/gray ones. Keep this in mind if you want your shelves to be color coordinated.

Hope that helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars If I can install HyLoft, you can too!, December 5, 2005
K. Phillips (White Hall, Arkansas) - See all my reviews
I am a 54-year-old grandmother. I installed the Hyloft by myself in less than 3 hours. I read & reread all instructions & set everything out. I did all ceiling measurements & then installed one bracket with its hanging straps at a time, doing the 2 brackets that were on the same stud first. I can highly recommend this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars BEFORE YOU START, October 4, 2006
I purchased two 00540 systems. They are perfect for overhead storage, if you don't overload them. Stick to Hyloft's recommended weight limit. Also, be very sure that you fasten the brackets securely to the ceiling studs. At first, I used a stud finder, but I don't really trust them and they don't work well, especially when you have to depend on attaching something securely from above. I also tried drilling into the studs with a manual hand drill to be sure. It felt solid and it seemed that I hit all studs exactly in the center. So, I measured the stud centers and also drilled for feel. I then installed all lag screws attaching the brackets and finished the installation. I was careful to NOT overload each unit. Four days later, I arrived home from work and opened the garage door. I saw one fully loaded shelf, along with all it's contents, upside down on the roof and hood of my recently fully restored $90,000 '55 Chevy Nomad. I didn't know what happened, but further examination proved that I missed two celiing studs by about 1/8", and it pulled out the side. So, fair warning, make sure the lag screws go solidly into the ceiling studs, then carefully test them before parking your Porsche or Lamborghini underneath.

Rate and Discover Movies