5.0 out of 5 stars HydroSkin G3 Socks by NRS
Published on November 3, 2011 by BOBBY24

3.0 out of 5 stars Will do the job, but fills with water quick
If your using these to keep your feet warmer (not dry) in wet conditions, these should work for you.
If you are using these for swimming or racing in cold water, test them before committing to them in a race, they do fill with water and start to move down even if they are a snug fit.
Published 14 months ago by bpadg 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars HydroSkin G3 Socks by NRS, November 3, 2011
This review is from: HydroSkin G3 Socks by NRS (Misc.)
I recently put these socks to the test in 50 degree water.Used in conjunction with neoprene river shoes. I use them for kayak fishing.Feet submersed in water 15-20 minutes at a time before pushing on. I was pleased for their durability, comfort,thermal quality, and construction. Would recommend a thicker neoprene product for cooler water. Also order at least 1 size larger than normal. I ordered 2 x my normal size and am pleased with the fit. normal 9 : = XL )

4.0 out of 5 stars NRS Hydroskin Sock, May 21, 2012
Jamie (Henderson, NV - USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HydroSkin G3 Socks by NRS (Misc.)
I bought these to hike the Zion Narrows in September. A friend had recommended wearing a neoprene sock to help your feet stay warmer in the river. I picked these up and wore them for both days of our 17 mile hike through the Narrows. The water was about 55 to 60 degrees and I hardly noticed at all. It only felt like a difference of a few degrees to me when I was hiking in the water. My feet stayed perfectly warm. The only thing I did not like is that these socks do have seams, but they are positioned in such a way that the seams are on the sides of your foot, not the bottom or on the toes. I could feel the seams, which I didn't care for, but even after 17 miles of hiking in wet boots I didn't get a single blister from them. I've used them twice now and they are still in great shape.

4.0 out of 5 stars Warm when wet, not dry., January 23, 2014
Many reviewers seem to have had the impression that these are waterproof socks. They are not. They are very thin, (0.5mm) neoprene, (wetsuit material). They are water-permeable, but much less so than fabrics, (cotton, wool, poly, etc). The water that does get in stays there and is warmed by your body. If you wade through a stream in these, your feet will be wet - but you will not be cold provided you are active and have a normal metabolism.

I wear these while hiking in mild winter conditions, (15-30s F) over a thin wool ski sock and inside of trail running shoes. While I am hiking my feet are not cold and they are certainly more comfortable and easier to fit than gore-tex socks and part of a more flexible system than waterproof boots. In camp I remove my shoes, (which retain much more water than my wool socks or these oversocks) and wear these over a thicker, expedition-weight wool sock, (or more recently, switch to a down overboot). These socks are pretty much snow-proof; only liquid water penetrates.

I've used these on trips from 3-9 days where I know my feet will be periodically wet, either from stream crossings or snow, basically all day. If you are looking for something for a day hike, you might be better served with actual waterproof socks, (gore-tex) or waterproof boots; neither of which are ideal for long-term use. These would also be very good for summer activities where your feet will be wet all day, such as kayaking or canyoneering. There are heavier gauges for winter use where your feet will be immersed for long periods of time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Will do the job, but fills with water quick, July 7, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeps the feet warm!, February 21, 2014
M. J. King (Seattle, WA USA USA USA) - See all my reviews
My wife and I are paddlers, and are on the water year around. She does not like many of the neoprene zip up booties, so I bought her these instead. She wears them under her Keen water shoes and they keep her feet perfectly warm. Sizing was correct as recommended by the NRS sock sizing chart, she is a 7.5 and NRS recommended Medium for women. There is just enough room for her to wear a pair of thin wool low cut socks under them on the coldest days or just the HydroSkin socks on coolish fall\winter days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely Order one size larger!, November 1, 2012
Definitely Order one size larger!

Read other comments that you should order one size larger and they were right! Usually wear an large but got the XL and it fits perfectly. Quality product, sturdy, comfortable. Tested it out before Tough Mudder nationals this November and not worried about feet getting too cold.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm feet in cold water, December 7, 2012
Michael (Gun Hill, Barbados) - See all my reviews
I purchased these for a hike with friends up the Virgin River in Zion Utah in October. They worked great. The fit was good and neoprene kept my feet really warm during our four hour hike up the narrows. Water temp was in the 40's and most (all) of the hike you walk directly in the river. I also had great canyon shoes (Canyoneer 2 by Five Ten). Will use them for kayaking as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great water socks, May 6, 2014
I wear these with tactical water boots. They are fairly seamless and give added protection in a tactical boot. Planning on taking them repelling into a water fall this week!

5.0 out of 5 stars Time will tell if these do the trick., August 26, 2014
Interesting to order an XL for my size 10 foot, but these fit pretty well, even if the tops really don't snug to my chicken legs as well as the Larges do to my wife's shins. The real test comes in a few weeks in The Narrows in Utah. Our warm river here lets me test them (inside Chaco Tedinho Bulloo Boots) walking back and forth to see if they stay comfortable in the Chacos, but we'll see how they do when the water's much chillier.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tight fit, July 13, 2014
K. Halloran "bridgenet" (Franklin, MA United States) - See all my reviews
I bought an XL for a size 10 1/2 men's foot and it is very difficult to put on. Top part is too small and tight but foot part fits OK. Also don't like the seam on top as it could make uncomfortable with water shoes.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›