Questions & Answers
Please make sure that your post is a question about the product. Edit your question or post anyway.
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 146 questions
votes
Sure you can! You can start any seeds and grow them under the lights. I start my seeds in flats in seeding medium, put them in plastic bags, then onto a cookie sheet with a heating pad on low and another cookie sheet under the pad. Once 50% of the seeds have sprouted, I remove the plastic and put them under the lights. Be sure to keep the lights just 3-4 inches above the plants. When plants have their first set of true leaves, I transplant them into sterile potting medium - either in rows in flats, or in the case of tomatoes, in single small pots. Write me if you need further info. SGS
Jan 6, 2014 by giftgiver
votes
It seems that this system is meant to be used with two standard-size seed starting trays (think 72-cell size trays). The light fixture is narrow, so coverage isn't incredible unless you raise the fixture a little higher than recommended, but that has been working for me. I'm currently using the system with four standard-size trays placed the tall way instead of the long way, and it's working fairly well, though I'm thinking of swapping out the light fixture for a wider one next year (or rigging something up that would allow it to hold two fixtures instead of one).
Mar 14, 2012 by Pen Name
vote
It has to be plugged in to a standard outlet. It has a 6 foot cord so it wasn't a hassle. After that I bought a regular timer and now all I have to do is water and watch my veggies grow
Mar 14, 2014 by Barbara orris
vote
24 watts and 2000 lumens. I grew black pearl peppers from seed and this unit was terrifickeep the light about an inch from the top of the seedlings/plant. If it is too far away then the plants will get leggy.
Feb 5, 2014 by Gotta Run
vote
Sue - you don't need light to germinate peppers. My method is to plant seeds at the required depth (on package) in boxes or pots and water well- (I always water newly planted seeds from the bottom ) I put a heating pad on low between two cookie sheets, place the boxes in plastic bags on the sheets. When 50% of the seeds have sprouted, I remove the plastic, take the boxes off the heat and put them under lights (lights should be only 3"-4" above the plants) The Hydrofarm is equipped to raise the lights as the plants grow. Let me know if I can help further. Shirley
Jan 31, 2014 by giftgiver
vote
This particular stand is only available in a 2 feet or 4 feet size, and other brands that have comparable stands also maximize their height at 4 feet. The actual dimensions are: 4' dimensions: 31" H x 18" W x 50" L. You can use the 4 feet stand and fixture until your plants reach 44 inches in height, as it is recommended to keep your plant 6 inches away from the top.
Oct 22, 2013 by Jesse
vote
I have the 2' model which I often use during the winter months, but I live in the California Bay Area; the temperature rarely gets to 35-40F. The heated mat is supposed to provide warmth (to help sprout seeds) to 20F above ambient. You may need to provide additional heat in your garage depending on how cold it gets outside.
Oct 19, 2013 by piccolo
vote
how to change bulb Sep 28, 2013
Grab bulb with thumb and forefinger of each hand and twist GENTLY. If purchasing replacement at local store, be sure to bring old bulb with you. Not all similar-looking bulbs are same length.
Sep 28, 2013 by piccolo
vote
No. My first one didn't work either. I contacted the company, and even after telling them that I bought the 4 foot light, they sent me a 2 foot replacement. By the time they sent me the right one, it was too late to start my seeds for the summer!
Mar 28, 2014 by homesteader
vote
The frame stand is 34" high, but the light fixture is adjustable to almost any height that you need minus 2" for the fixture and another 1.5 " for the frame.
Jan 26, 2013 by patsweb
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   ...   15   Next ›

Unanswered questions
Search Questions and Answers