Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

on December 18, 2007
This is such a nice product! just cut the pastic in the desginated areas for your desired level of humidity control. Fill the 72 cell insert with your choice of growing medium or you can just use the tray with your choice of soil medium. I used Jiffy 7 Peat Soil Pellets in the bottom of the tray. Plug in the matt, put the tray on matt, water seeds or cuttings to their required amount of moisture, cover and relax. The only thing I found I needed to monitor was the moisture in the growing medium. I just used a spray bottle to mist it every now and then. My only complaint is that the dome is very easy to damage. It could have been better if it was more riged and had pre installed device to control humidity cause once you cut a hole thats it unless you want to tape over it.
0Comment|112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2011
I purchased this dome to start seeds in the winter, and was attracted by the heating pad as well as the taller dome. The design of having the seedling starter cell tray sit on top of the waterproof tray is the first mistake, as the dome collects the water from the humidity inside (as it should) but then runs down the sides of the dome and OUT OF THE HOT HOUSE! I ended up with the heating mat sitting in a puddle of water, and dry plants. The point of the adjustable openings on top is to control the humidity (nice idea) but this unit loses all of it's moisture within 48 hours, and I have to continue to refill it. The peat pellets dry out quickly, wasting my seeds, time, effort and care. I've trimmed the edges of the cell tray so that there is a small gap between it and the side of the waterproof tray, so hopefully the water will run down the sides of the dome and INTO the tray, so the humidity stays inside. So far, the best part of this whole package is the heating mat. Simply - a hot house designed to maintain warmth and humidity only maintains warmth, it loses all humidity very quickly, and is far inferior a design to the simple, low priced lower domed trays I had used in the past. I am considering adding a flange of packing tape on the inside of the bottom edge of the dome to direct the condensation back into the tray rather than onto the floor.
11 comment|152 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2012
This is excellent for growing extremely hot peppers like the TSBT and NV peppers. Works extremely well as I have been using it for a week and all seeds are sprouting. However, there is one major design flaw which can be corrected by some creative engineering as I will explain below.

Problem: A lot of the water leaks out of the sides when it condenses on the side of the dome and drips down out of the part where the dome connects to the base.

Fix: Take off the clear dome, dry the bottom 3 inches. Take clear plastic packing tape, 2" wide. Cut it at 12"-18" lengths based on what you need for each side. You can even do shorter if you like. Fold the tape lengthwise on to itself so that only 1/4 of the sticky part of the tape remains exposed. Tape this to the bottom of the dome so that the water will now drip down the tape over where it connects to the bottom black part. This will prevent the water from dripping and seeping out the sides where it connects and keeping the water inside. No harm will come to the plants.

This should allow the water to remain inside the unit.
22 comments|100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2008
I bought this for the warmer and high cover. I throw out the seedling planter as I hate to grow seedling in them becuase they are way to difficult to transplant. I plant seedlings in peat pots which makes planting a snap. I use the warmer and cover with the peat pots.
11 comment|122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2009
The high dome is good for the aggressive seedings. There's vents in the top if things get to moist or too warm. The warming pad works well. The trays on mine are 2.5" deep compared to most typical trays that I've seen.
Overall I just like this setup.
22 comments|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 19, 2015
Shoot- this almost was good but has a crucial flaw that hasn't been noted enough here: the clear dome's lip extends over the bottom black tray- thus leaking water out. (Such an odd flaw for this design to have, as knowledge of basic water physics would have never allowed this to go into production.)

The top clear dome also does not snap into place to offer a flush contact to help further prevent the water dripping out.

As is- it works if you have it on a surface that can withstand a bit of water, and if you revisit it's moisture levels at least every three days.

I fear taking scissors to the clear dome's edge will only make it fit even looser to the bottom.
review image
on January 23, 2011
I bought this setup for it's simplicity and dome height, heat mat, and cubes. I have found in the past a cheap trick for 100% propagation with this system. Weather you purchase here on Amazon or at Home Depot/Lowe's. Buy the cheapest maybe even cracked two 12" x 12" floor tiles and place the heat mat on top of them, then the dome tray on top of heat mat. What this does for the cuttings is allow the roots to cool slowly and still grow with the free warmth of the tiles. It works every time for my cuttings or seedlings. Try it it works! Best of luck!

I have no moisture dripping outside of the tray everything stays inside as it should.
88 comments|80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 30, 2010
Lots of pros and only one minor con. We love the fact that it works...no weirdness, no learning curve...just plug n' go. This was our first "greenhouse" experience and we were completely wow'd by the seeds sprouting in two days (yes, two days!) Using some annual seeds, it actually came to fruition much quicker than anticipated and we couldn't plant outdoors yet because the cold wasn't going to stop for another week or two. The hate part, however, is that when you remove the lid quite a bit of water pours off of the lid. We tried every maneuver possible to stop the water from dripping all over the floor when we removed it, but never found a way. We just had to deal with it and wipe it up quickly. Other than that small issue, we loved this thing :)
11 comment|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 8, 2012
Very happy with the product. The heat is consistent and I love the ability to adjust airflow. The only suggestion and reason for 4 starts instead of five is that condensation tends to drip out. The plastic could have been moulded with the lip turned up and drain ridges put in which would have kept the condensation in. It doesn't pour out or anything but I've had to put a piece of cardboard and a garbage bag under the unit to prevent it from ruining my table. Also happy with Amazon shipping to Japan for me since, even with shipping, it's cheaper than what is available here. Will definitely be ordering more Hydrofarm products in the future.
review image
Some have said that they thought this was a bit pricey for what you get. I agree - the little hot house is lightweight plastic, and they could have thrown in the peat pellets. I can buy a 72 peat pellet hot house by a competitor, with the pellets included, mind you, at a big-box retailer, for about $7.

HOWEVER, that one only has a 2-inch transparent plastic top on it - and this one has 7 inches of growing room. In addition, this has some simple but effective adjustable vents in the hood - both ends and in the top - which are useful to control the humidity level.

Since I had to go buy the pellets anyway, I got the 2-inch hothouse they came in. I started my seeds in it, and now that they're up, I've moved thed them to the Hydrofarm product, which offers increased growing space.

What you're really paying for is the Heat Mat. It's a great idea to have a consistent heat under germinating seedlings! Before it arrived, I tried a few basil seeds in a kitchen window, and one night it got cold. Bang. Poor little guys are casualties.

Now, in the Hot House with the Heat Mat, all my babies are fine, thank you! By the way - you will need a Hydrofarm MTPRTC Digital Thermostat For Heat Mats to control the heat - sold separately.

I've got them both, and they work well together. You plug the Heat Mat's electrical cord into the Thermostat, which plugs into the wall. Oh yes - the Thermostat comes with a probe you place inside the Hot House, where it can read the actual temperature your seedlings are at.

Recommended!