5.0 out of 5 stars Easy set up and more
I ordered the JSV2 2' grow light jump start system and it arrived pretty quickly and set up was a breeze. All you really need is a screw driver and common sense. I put it together in about 10 minutes and the pully system for the light comes already assembled and works great.

Published on September 18, 2009 by M. Yates

I love gardening, but living in New Hampshire, it is necessary to overwinter some of my plants indoors under lights. I bought this product for that purpose.

Published on December 26, 2008 by Stephanie Murphy

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy set up and more, September 18, 2009
M. Yates (Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hydrofarm JSV2 2-Foot Jump Start T5 Grow Light System (Lawn & Patio)

It also comes with a 24 watt T5 6400k High output fluorescent bulb which is already installed upon arrival. The 6400k bulb is a very efficient low heat bulb which is designed to promote overall growth in the plant. Because it is a low heat emitting bulb you can place the light source a couple inches from the plants to prevent the loss of light.

This is not a complex system, it is simple and efficient. For the price it would be hard to find a package which comes with a stand, a reflective fixture, a good bulb, easy adjustment, and easy assembly. It is a good first step into the grow light world which is vast and and many times confusing. I also found that it isn't really that flimsy. The product isn't industrial grade but the light fixture is sturdy and so is the stand if you put it together correctly.

I will be growing venus fly traps when they arrive and I have researched grow light systems quite a bit. This system will only cost me $1.50 cents to run per month. The calculation can be done by taking the 24 Watts and dividing it by 1000 to get KW. Then multiply that number by how much the electric company charges per Kilowatt hour. That is the price it will cost to power the light for one hour. Then multiply that number for one hour by however many hours you will run it during the day. Then just multiply the cost of one day by 30 days and you have how much it will cost you to run the system for a month.

For example here is mine 24W/1000 = .024
.024 x .1484 (cost per kWh) = .0035616 cents per hour (less than 1 cent an hour). .0035616 x 14 hours = .0498624 dollars per day (about 5 cents). .0498624 x 30 = 1.50 per month. So my light run for 14 hours will cost one dollar and fifty cents per month. This is assuming that the light runs at 24 Watts per hour.

When I was shopping for grow lights online I found a very helpful website that includes a much better description on the Jump Start grow light and has a lot of technical and very helpful information on plant lighting. littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/lights2.shtml#jsfixture.

The website has a grow lighting guide and also contains the calculation above. It was by far the most helpful website when considering this purchase. It includes a good bit of information about the T5 6400k bulb and the Jump Start from HydroFarm.

3.0 out of 5 stars Functional, but not very well made; defective, but good customer service from the manufacturer, December 26, 2008
Stephanie Murphy (New Hampshire, USA) - See all my reviews

It has pros and cons. I have looked for similar products in this price range, but this one seems to be pretty unique. I have not been able to find another product which is a complete set with a stand, full-spectrum fluorescent bulbs, and a fixture for under $100.

As such, it seems like there is not much competition for this type of product in the marketplace. It shows - the product could be better.

First, it is not very sturdy. The metal frame requires assembly, but the pieces are soft (mine arrived bent and I had to use pliers to reshape it before I could complete the assembly). The frame, once it is assembled, is not terribly sturdy. Even for something in this price range, I was disappointed with the quality.

There are two fixtures for fluorescent tubes. The tubes do not lock into the fixtures very well, and have a tendency to shift and roll around. The metal pieces which contains the fixtures can flex and deform, which contributes to the instability of the tubes.

One of the light fixtures on the product that I received was defective (I knew because I could switch the bulbs, but each bulb would only light if it was in the working fixture). The retailer I bought the product from (7GIFTS) and the manufacturer were excellent about getting me a replacement fixture - both were very communicative and seemed happy to address my problem. That was a plus.

I have the light on a timer, set to provide ~18 h of light per day to my succulents and some flowering plants that require full sun. All in all, it works well - the plants are doing nicely. The wattage is relatively low, so it does not cost me very much to run the light.

My overall experience with this product was a bit of a hassle, but ultimately it works for my purposes. The cost was not unreasonable - but the product could definitely use some improvement.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, February 14, 2008
I was a little afraid to order this because of previous reviews, but found this item to be perfect for what I wanted to use it for. Set up is easy, fast and works just great. Maybe not the most high quality product for the price, but other ones out there are much more expensive and are basically the same. This is just a simple way to get light to your seedlings for a couple months before planting outside. The light raises and lowers just as advertised. Works Great. Would buy it again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Loved this product until my bulb burned out, March 7, 2012
I loved this product. But the bulb didn't last long. No problem, right? I went to the hardware store for a replacement - only to discover that this fixture uses a non-standard length of T5 bulbs. A standard, readily available length is 21 inches - this one appears to be 22 inches. So my only option is proprietary bulbs. Hydrofarm doesn't ship direct so I check for a retailer - none in my area.

It's ok, amazon is selling them - but then I see that they will normally ship in 2-4 months. I'm growing plant starts now - not in 2-4 months. A handful of sellers have them available for extravagant prices. Eventually, with no other options, I bought from one. If I'm lucky, I might actually get to use this light this season.

For the future, if I can source cheap bulbs, I might keep using this grow light. But so far it seems like their proprietary bulbs are short lived, expensive and difficult to find.

I would suggest to anyone who is planning on purchasing this fixture to keep looking: for one that uses a standard bulb length.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool product - description is WRONG though!, March 11, 2009
I just received the JSV2 today, and haven't put it together yet - but I am confident that it is a good product. Here's the thing: the product description on Amazon is totally wrong, according to the manufacturer. The JSV2 now has only one light, instead of the two mentioned in the description, so don't be surprised (like I was!) when the system arrives and looks different than expected. According to Hydrofarm, the older JSV2 had two T-12 bulbs, but they redesigned the product and it now comes with one T-5 bulb, which is apparently a much better bulb.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beginner Gardener, August 21, 2010
Candace A. Gee "dilettante" (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
After watching one too many movies like "Serenity", "Book of Eli", and "I am Legend"... My overactive imagination ran rampant with worst case scenarios- one of which lead me to realize, "If there were no grocery stores... I would not be able to feed my family..." It was in that moment that I decided, I need to learn how to garden. This somewhat irrational Hollywood induced fear has turned a girl who previously killed her friend's houseplants- including a few plastic ones, into a budding green thumb.

I began my new obsession with a growing collection of heirloom and organic seeds and a box of jiffy pots. I live in Houston and unfortunately began this new hobby during the hottest part of the year. With heat indexes in the hundreds I was forced to start my seedlings indoors on windowsills. I spent nearly a month chasing the sun inside the house. Moving the seedlings to the brightest spots throughout the day. I knew that this would result in leggy seedlings, but couldn't bring myself to invest in a grow light. Partially because of lack of space and partially because I wasn't sure how long I'd stay interested in gardening.

I have posted pictures and I am happy to say that in 6 days I feel as if my purchase has been justified. My seedling have flourished rapidly beneath the grow lights. I leave them on for 14-16 hours a day, in my absence they were on for 36 hours straight. I think there is a little yellowing of purple beauty pepper seedlings- but that may be from nitrogen deficiency. I water my seedlings with a little diluted liquid seaweed and will soon introduce a mineral product called Azomite. We'll see how it goes.

If you are also new to gardening, I highly recommend you purchase this growlight... it's the most inexpensive and easiest to assemble i've found on the internet. (and believe me, i searched for a long time- i really didn't want to invest $47 to grow a few tomatoes that end up costing me $10 a piece) You could go to home depot and diy a growlight, but that involves having a permanent fixture, mounting it under a cabinet or worse to the ceiling, figuring out the most user friend system to raise and lower the light, etc, etc. Plus if you decide to give up the hobby or need to store the growlight between seasons- (i'm hoping) it disassembles easy and fits back into it's compact box that's less than three feet long and 3 inches thick.

I gave the product four stars- because I don't have any experience with any other grow lights to compare results.

Happy gardening!

3.0 out of 5 stars It works, but be aware of design problem, February 23, 2007
This item does indeed work, however, the light does not go up and down as they say. It actually uses S-hooks, which were supplied with this unit, so they must be aware of it on some level. The feature that it is supposed to have - whereby you can move the light up and down by a pulley-type mechanism - does not function. Hence, the S-hooks. I was very disappointed by this (I hate S-hooks), but the light itself functions well, and the frame is okay.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy set-up, works well enough, February 16, 2011
Silea (Pacific Northwest) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
To address some things in other reviews:

1) My Hydrofarm box was packed inside another box with padding materials, unlike others who've complained that theirs was not and thus arrived damaged.
2) The frame was not warped, twisted, or otherwise misshapen.
3) Mine does have the blinds-like pull string to adjust the height quickly and easily, no s-hooks in sight.

Those points addressed, overall, this is a solid product.

Yes, there's only a single bulb, so your plants may tend to grow toward it instead of directly upward. This product would not be a good choice for plants that are going to grow indoors and only indoors unless they have a single stem that can be directly under the light. It's much better suited to starting seedlings that will be transplanted outdoors or moved into a cold frame after they've grown a few inches.

There are only two flaws in this product that i've found:
First, the cord for the light is stiff, and wedges against the frame and pushes the light into an odd angle. You can fix this quickly with zip ties or string or anything of that ilk. Just loosely tie the cord to the vertical bar of the frame, and the problem is solved.
Second, it comes with two screws and two washers for each screw. In the assembly instructions, it says to use two washers with each screw, but then shows a picture of the screw, a washer, and a bolt. It's left to the assembler to determine in which order to place the washers.

For a backyard gardener or farmer who wants to get their plants started indoors, this will do nicely. If you need to do any intensive indoor gardening, this product will not make you happy because it is not designed for that. The reason it's so inexpensive is because it's a simple, cheap frame with a single light bulb. It does what it's designed for and not a bit more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, works well, May 27, 2008
I bought this item because I was tired of growing my herbs outside and having the voracious squirrels enjoy them more than me. I have three 9" pots under this one light, and all pots are growing herbs/peppers well. I don't know what the one reviewer was talking about with the raising/lowering mechanism, it works fine for me. It's true though that the plants on the edges do grow inwards a bit, but if you grow in small pots like I do, then its not a problem, every week turn the pot and it grows fine. For the price it would be hard to beat this item.

2.0 out of 5 stars Works ok, but ..., April 25, 2008
MV "SFDiscoRQ" (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I'm generally happy with it, but I'm using it for a single flat of seedlings, and the seedlings on the edge of the flat are bowing inwards toward the light and not growing nearly as fast as those in the center. I'd recommend a four-light system to provide better coverage of the entire flat.

Hydrofarm JSV2 2-Foot Jump Start T5 Grow Light System