5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful
Published on March 13, 2005 by B. Chavez

3.0 out of 5 stars Anais Mitchell
Highly rates in guitar magazine so I thought I'd give it a listen. Some aspects of Edie Brikell's style. Enjoyable music but not really my style.
Published 13 months ago by Jazz

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, March 13, 2005
B. Chavez "annodomini" (Laguna Niguel, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hymns for the Exiled (Audio CD)
I have been listening to this CD non-stop since it arrived in my mailbox last week. Anais Mitchell uses her beautiful voice and music to spread the truth; her lyrics tell the very personal stories of ordinary people caught in a moment of our times--miners trapped in a flooded mine, a child seeing the "bad guys" on television, and Mitchell imagining her grandmother sewing a dress. The music feels honest and heartfelt partly because it is not overly produced and polished; it feels personal and intimate, like listening to Mitchell playing songs and telling stories in her kitchen. This CD is unusual because all the songs are perfect in their poetry and sound; every word and note holds you from start to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant new songwriter, February 7, 2005
Gary A. Martin (Assonet, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hymns for the Exiled (Audio CD)
Anäis blew me away when she played her two songs in the Kerrville Folk Festival New Folk competition in 2003. Turns out she blew everyone else away, too. At the age of 23, she was writing songs that can stand up alongside the best. The songs are mostly political in nature, but much more intellectual, cryptic, and subtle than is typical in that genre. Anäis' influences are the folk icons of the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s, but her experiences as a DJ on a college radio folk show and as daughter of 60s folkies give her folk roots that include traditional music that predates the 60s folk boom. I've had her perform twice as an opener in my house concert series and look forward to having her back to headline. Not since Dar Williams in 1994 have I been so impressed with a young singer/songwriter. This Waterbug CD release is simply brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST CD I OWN, April 12, 2005
This review is from: Hymns for the Exiled (Audio CD)
I cannot stop listening to Anais's music. At first I was going to get the 4 free downloads off her site and stick with just that, but after 2 weeks I was playing them on repeat so often that I broke down and bought it. Now I just play the whole CD on repeat. My favorite song is the first one.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Voice of Her that Crieth in the Wilderness, January 20, 2005
This review is from: Hymns for the Exiled (Audio CD)
Imagine being deathly thirsty, with the heat of Egypt's desert summer sun bearing down upon you...and then being given a large bottle of cold water by a stranger passing by. That's how I felt when I first listened to Anaïs Mitchell's songs "Before The Eyes Of Storytelling Girls" and "1984" on PBS radio a few weeks ago. She had a voice, and a message behind that voice, that was deeply felt. With poetic-melodic-acoustic sounds she captures the heart of issues and interests that are shared by many, but voiced by few.

5.0 out of 5 stars It may bring you to tears folks-- its that GOOD!, September 21, 2005
This review is from: Hymns for the Exiled (Audio CD)
I saw Anais at a show in Cambridge, MA a week ago and more than one song literally moved me to tears (in the best possible way.) Tears came to my eyes because truth resonates in her lyrics.

This woman has a way of writing lyrics that are so personal, most of us are afraid to confess such feelings in our journals! Yet Anais also comments on current politics with a refreshing perspective.

The music is so delicate, meaningful and personal. The best tracks are 1, 3 & 9.

Track 1, "Before the Eyes of Storytelling Girls" is a song about an Egyptian woman, recalling her childhood and the changing times. It's clever, adapting a line from t.s. eliot's incredible poem, "The Love Song of J.Alfred Prufrock." She insightfully sings "The women come and go, talking on their mobile phones." Anyhow who has been to Egypt or the middle east will understand the depth of this song. She is right on the target in capturing the feeling of the modern middle east.

Track 9 is so beautiful, you will listen to it on repeat. It is the title track "Hymn for the Exiled." It seems to have something to do with God and Adam: "The word came down to him from heaven/ and naked as an animal, he knew / everything of flesh and bone/ he could call it all his own / if he could name it, he could lay claim to it, too."

Anais is an unbelievable live performer. Try to get out and see her show. She is humble and charming and talented all at the same time.

This is a CD to listen to on repeat! You will not regret purchasing it. But you will be amazed that someone with so much insight isn't even 25 year old!

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful voice...great acoustic guitar., January 9, 2005
This review is from: Hymns for the Exiled (Audio CD)
I heard her song " the belly and the beast " on the radio. I immediately fell in love with it. I am going out and buying the CD in a little bit. I also heard some of her other songs..and they are great as well. If you happen to stumble upon this and love anything acoustic...this will be a nice addition..I promise. If you like Damien Rice, Nick Drake, John Mayer, Jason Mraz...anything like that BUY THIS. Anyways it's just plain great acoustic with a stunning voice and melodic tones...thanks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Was never the same after, May 25, 2005
This review is from: Hymns for the Exiled (Audio CD)
SO I'm not a professional reviewer and have only seen her once in concert, but live she is just so delicatly voiced and with almost child-like playfullness. Her album was only good for me bc I have heard her sing the sings directly and had some residual memory from that. I like her a lot, she attaches a lot more to me as a human being than just a singer songwriter. I found some of the later songs on the album to be tedious and dragging. My favorites are Cosmic and story telling girls, and she was absolutly adorable doing 1984. Orion was just devastating (in a good way) in person bc we were fortunate to hear her explaination. Very clever. I think at times her political writing becomes too over-bearing for me. I would Four star- the first half of the ablum absolutly. The second half, I'm still working on warming up to it. She has definitly effected me and I certianly wasn't the same after that show. Give her a shot, see for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Live Act on Earth, September 7, 2005
This review is from: Hymns for the Exiled (Audio CD)
I saw Anais Mitchell perform in her home state of Vermont this past summer, and the show moved me to tears. I was skeptical that her newest studio release would capture what she does on stage, but for the most part, the CD does just that. Every song is a small poem. Anais' use of mixed metaphor and shades of humor here and there is so beautiful to listen to. She has a raw, real voice, and great songwriting talent. The music is political and powerful and yet she never shoves it down our throat, but always remains subtle and gentle with her statements, like singing to a lover. Way to go, Anais. I highly, highly recommend this CD to anyone who wants to listen to music that will move them to think and feel. And see her live in concert if you can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good tunes, December 18, 2004
This review is from: Hymns for the Exiled (Audio CD)
Anais Mitchell is one of my favorite finds in a while. She plays what I call `coffee house folk.' Which is to say it's urban, spare, personal, and often somewhat conversational. She has an interesting voice. It's not a perfect voice, but it has a tone to it I really love. The closest voice and style I could point to would be Edie Brickell. A friend saw her live and sold her praises to me. I tracked down a MP3 on her web site which led me to buy this CD (there is at least one earlier CD by her but I haven't heard it yet). Maybe Amazon will get some samples up one day. I give it my best recommendation. Anyone who likes good modern folk can safely stop here. If you are into more mainstream artist ask yourself if you like Jewel's earlier stuff. If so I think you will really like this CD. If you prefer more polished stuff... well this may not be it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Anais Mitchell, November 4, 2013

Hymns for the Exiled
Hymns for the Exiled by Anaïs Mitchell (Audio CD - 2004)