5.0 out of 5 stars Great battery substitute on the UV5RA
Published 12 months ago by P. Corson

2.0 out of 5 stars Mixed thoughts on this battery case
Published 11 months ago by D. Hess

5.0 out of 5 stars Great battery substitute on the UV5RA, November 7, 2013
This review is from: Hypario® uv5r Two-way Radio Battery Case for Baofeng Uv-5r ,Uv-5ra,Uv-5re ,Tyt F8 F9 ,Vitai Vt-uv3 Vt-uv9r Two Way Radios (Electronics)
This tray installs with a nice firm click, and comes off with a nice clean release from the UV5RA that I have. There's probably some variation in manufacturing that won't guarantee for everyone this good of a fit between the two pieces, but I lucked out. There is no interference with the belt clip. In fact, it sits better on the belt when using the combination of a longer replacement antenna and this extended battery housing.

Some Customer Images show you what it looks like, installed, from various angles on the radio. Cosmetically the texture indentations don't match those on the radio, but that's not a big deal. For me, it's a great improvement to bulk up the radio with greater height and depth, making a better grip and a more substantial feel.

Among the Product Questions, we've discussed the matter of acceptable supply voltage to the radio. The factory specifications suggest an operating voltage range for the UV5RA of under 9 volts, yet, a fresh set (six) of lithium or alkaline cells will start at 9 volts and perhaps a little higher.

Two answers can solve the problem: use only NiCd cells, which are rated at 1.2V. Or, locate / make yourself a "dummy" cell that takes the place of an AA in the rows when installed. The total voltage supplied by the set is then about the same as the stock, original battery. Radio becomes happy.

Note: using a full set of six 1.5V cells in this tray will allow the use of the receiver portion of the radio, not including the FM Broadcast Band. The transmitter is disabled by circuitry within the radio that protects against overvoltage.

Why get this substitute tray? It's been my experience that manufacturers often come out with a replacement model that won't take the previous battery. This tray, and the widespread, long-term availability of "AA" cells, guarantees you'll be able to keep this radio powered up for years to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars It will work if you will try..., February 14, 2014
Stu Redman (Lubbock, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
I saw multiple reviews for these that said they were light duty and tough to get on and off your radio so I wasn't surprised when I received mine and experienced those same problems. But I was able to easily get both of mine to work with no tools and just my hands and a towel. I realize you may not want to spend the little bit of time that it takes to make these work, or maybe you don't think you should have to make them work, but if you do want them to work try this:

I have arthritis in my hands from working with them on all kinds of things for over 50 years, so I approach things a little differently than an ape with great strength. Instead of trying to force things, I finesse them. First I put a nice soft towel down on a table so I wouldn't scratch up my radio. Then I took the empty battery case and started opening it, taking it apart, and putting it back together. After about 10 times of doing that it opened and closed easily because I had worn the latches in. Then I took it apart one more time, turned my phone face down on the towel, and started sliding the part without the latch up into phone where it belonged and then pulled it back out again. I did this about 10 times to wear in the area where it slid up into the phone. Then I took the part with the latch and slid it up where it would latch. This was tricky because it had to line up just right without the other part to guide it in. The latch was very stiff and I had to really work it back out the first couple of times, but I did it about 10 times until it was working ok. I figured out that if you would try different ways of holding the phone and holding the part that some ways worked better than others. Then I put the battery case back together and worked it in and out of the phone about 10 times just to make sure it functioned ok. It was easiest to get in if I pushed the case up as far as it would easily go, then put my thumbs on the bottom of the phone and my middle fingers on top of the phone and pushed them together. To take it out I would hold the latch down with my left thumb and put my right thumb on the back of the battery pack and my fingers on the keys and use my thumb to push the pack out. I then put my batteries in and tested it and there were no problems. Be careful pulling your batteries back out as the metal contacts are not firmly anchored in the case and can be pulled out. If you watch what you are doing you will notice if they are coming out and can push them back into place. This whole procedure took maybe 5 minutes per case and they work perfectly now as backup if I need them.

Also these did fit my UV5RAX+ without modification. As different vendors on Amazon sell different versions of the same product, I will say that mine came from twowayradiowholesaler.

I use Amazon for most of my purchases and update my reviews if anything changes with the products. I do this so other Amazon users can get a real feel for the life of the product. You can look at my review which will be close to my purchase date and tell how the product is doing as time passes. I am not associated with any company and all opinions are my very own.

5.0 out of 5 stars All Baofeng Radios Need This Battery Adapter!, November 23, 2013
The perfect accessory for your Baofeng radio!

Most Baofeng radios come with a rechargeable battery only.
Now, with using this adapter unit you can power your radio with AA rechargeable batteries.

I saw a video online where the guy claims that when using six AA batteries, he can get about three times as much "life" out of the radio compared to the stock 1800mAh Li-ion battery that can only be used with the Baofeng charging base.

He also pointed out that if you use Tenergy (or similar) batteries, they will fit a little better than just a standard alkaline battery. Rechargeable batteries tend to be a very tiny amount larger in diameter and length. (approx. 1/10th of an inch.)

The case is well made and slides onto the radio very easy. The case is very easy to open with a "press" tab on the bottom.

I really like the way the small HT radio looks and feels with the larger battery adapter on it! Small is cool, but I like the way it fits and feels in my hand. If I want or need "small" I can always use the stock battery...or...I am thinking about ordering the Baofeng battery adapter for AAA batteries, too! The AAA battery adapter will not make the radio any larger and it's always a good option to have in case you run out of AA batteries, you can use AAA size. Though, being a smaller battery, they might not last as long as the AA size, but convenient, small & rechargeable either way.

You can also find a socket-size car charger for a typical cigarette outlet in most automobiles that will allow you to plug it into the Baofeng charging base to use with charging the stock Baofeng Li-ion battery. A little "clunky" to have in your car, but allows you to charge your stock battery on the go!

If you have a Baofeng radio...buy this. You won't be disappointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars It works., October 21, 2013
I didn't give it a 5 because it is difficult to take off the radio- had to take it apart just to create some "wiggle room" in the release to get it loose. I got it for emergency use only, so I can live with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Necessary accessory but needs a bit of work to work well., December 16, 2013
Arbiter (Encinitas, CA) - See all my reviews
First off, you gotta have this. They won't make battery packs for these radios forever, and when they've all gone bad in 5 years (just like an old laptop battery) you'll be stuck with no radio, as the Baofengs don't have a direct AC adapter. Fortunately they make this. AA batteries will be around until the apocalypse, and for some time afterwards.

You will need to put in a few minutes worth of work, but it is worth it.

Using this on a stock UV-5R. Works well. Needs a bit of filing on the latch up top; otherwise you'll have a real bad time ever removing it. Once you can get the pack in and out OK, the fun begins.

The radio will receive just fine if it gets more than the 7.4 volts the Baofeng batteries put out, but it won't transmit. If you fill this pack full of alkalines, you're going to get a bit more than 9 volts coming out of the pack. It will receive just fine, but won't transmit until the pack voltage falls somewhere below 8 volts. The solution is a "dummy cell". I used one of my "Bluecell 8 PCS Clear Color AAA to AA Battery Holder Converter Adaptor", purchased here on Amazon, with a stretched ballpoint pen spring inside to bridge the contacts. This works great, giving you 7.5 volts.

If you're using rechargable AA cells, you get 7.2 volts with all six cells installed. No problem, no dummy cell required.

Yeah, it's a bit of a hassle, but if you wake up one day 20 years from now and need an emergency radio, you'll be glad you have this.

5.0 out of 5 stars works fine but size can be an issue for accessories, September 2, 2014
The battery case works as expected but purchasers should be aware that the dimensions of this battery case do not match the dimensions of either the standard battery (BL-5, 1800mAh) or extended battery (BL-5L, 3800mAh) for the Baofeng UV-5R+ series of radios.
Most importantly this battery pack is much thicker then either of the original Baofeng batteries. While it doesn't completely prevent the use of the belt clip, it does make it more difficult to use it.
The AA battery case fits the radio perfectly without any need for modifications.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mixed thoughts on this battery case, December 17, 2013
D. Hess (United States) - See all my reviews
Initially was going to rate this four or five stars. Put the batteries in (eneloops, just like in the picture), attached it to the Baofeng radio and it worked. Was happy for the first try but the found the product weaknesses...the pack is extremely hard to take off the radio and you have to really work hard to remove it; the batteries rattle around in the case and thus power comes and goes based on movement of the radio; and the biggest problem: the bottom latch that keeps the case together does not hold well...the back can pop off and the batteries fall out.

Overall, disappointed...was good in concept but execution is lacking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Case-Good Price, July 3, 2014
The battery case fits the UV-5RE+ great. It snapped right on. Had to pry loose. The 'PUSH' release on the handheld just didn't seem to go down far enough to release. Carefully filed just a little off the tip of the battery case latch. Works perfectly now. Well built and looks good on the HT.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed/wanted!, May 11, 2014
This thing is really good. I wanted to bulk up the radio; it does that and gives it some weight and more to hold on to. By using AAs it will extend the service life of the radio beyond the point when specific batteries are no longer made for these radios. I bought three (3)Didn't get 5 stars because it doesn't have contacts for the Baofeng charger, but for the price you can't beat the utility and quality. Perfect fit on my radio. Good delivery time considering it was shipped by mail from China. If you have one of these Baofengs don't even think about it just buy one.

5.0 out of 5 stars PROs far out weight minor CONS!, September 11, 2014
CONS:
1, The Plastic is thin
2. Very hard to click into the battary slide on the radio,

PRO:
1. Extra space in Battery comparment for water-proof bag for radio.
2. Make Radio much easier to handle
3. Extra Large Size and weight help to hold Radio on belt clip MUCH BETTER!
4. Great back up battery system for Long Days in the Field!