2,453 Reviews
 (2,016)

5.0 out of 5 stars People who should buy this book.
1. People who own dogs.
2. People who suffer from or who have loved ones who suffer from depression.
3. People who want to know what it feels like to have beverages snarfed through their nose(s?).
4. People with a sense of humor.
5. People who know how to order things on amazon.
6. People who are familiar with Allie's site and thus already know...
Published 15 months ago by E. Collins

3.0 out of 5 stars New material - more heartbreaking than humorous
Published 14 months ago by Ashley T

5.0 out of 5 stars People who should buy this book., October 29, 2013
This review is from: Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened (Paperback)
1. People who own dogs.
2. People who suffer from or who have loved ones who suffer from depression.
4. People with a sense of humor.
5. People who know how to order things on amazon.
6. People who are familiar with Allie's site and thus already know some of the content and are ok with that because it still makes them snarf beverages through their nose(s?)
7. People who did not preorder this book and so are not now reading it like I am.
8. People who are unfamiliar with the behaivior of geese and/or enjoy cake.
9. People who like books that are color coded instead of numbered to delineate beginnings and endings.
10. People who are not dead.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is way better than cigarettes., October 29, 2013
I got the book this morning, and as I was hobbled by pain from an ACL surgery and unable to take painkillers because they would make me loopy at work, instead I read this all day. (Shhhhh. It is okay. I also helped customers.)

There are a million things I love about this book, but I can start with the fact that each chapter is printed on different-colored pages than the ones on either side of it, which makes the book look like a rainbow when it is closed. A RAINBOW, GUYS.

The Depression chapters (previously published on her blog) are revelations to those who have experienced depression and touchstones of understanding for those who have not. The Dog chapters are hilarious to both dog-lovers and cat-lovers (AKA dog haters). The chapters that peek into her childhood make me wish I remembered anything about my life before I was twelve. But you know what? I'm going to take a page from this book, and just imagine that my childhood was just as fantastical, wild, revelatory, unintentionally hilarious, and unique.

Yes, there are a few chapters that are repeats from the blog. Sadly, the fish incident did not make it... that one is still my favorite. But the ones that did make it are definitely worth the re-read. Also, the majority of the book is new material, including some introspective chapters ("Thoughts and Feelings" and the two-part "Identity" chapters). Those, to me, were the best ones of the whole book. I love that the author is so freaking honest (can you swear on Amazon? Imma go with no) about EVERYTHING. She holds this mirror up to her guiding principles and then picks everything apart until she's left with this uncivilized and selfish husk, which she then covers up in a sparkly jumpsuit to make it all better. WHICH IS SOMETHING WE ALL DO. We're all basically uncivilized and selfish. But this author has the guts to admit it.

YOU ARE BRAVE, ALLIE. YOU ARE.

I feel strangely proud of the author for producing this book. Proud like a father, even though she is no relation to me and I have never really met her. I want to give her all the gold stars possible. If there were more than five available for this review, I would have gone with more than five. All the way up to eleventy.

Buy this book. Read it. Go read the blog. Re-read everything. Then buy the book for your friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it ALL the stars!, October 29, 2013
J. Garner (Columbia, SC United States) - See all my reviews
I've been a fan of Allie Brosh's (Allie? Can I call her Allie? Is that weird?) blog for years now, so I was never not buying her book. Her blog is less a series of wordy posts about what happened that day and more comic strip about fish murders, spiders, spaghatta nadles, and the single strangest childhood since Drew Barrymore's.

Her book? It's an offline edition of her blog. So in other words, it's just about perfect. Some new...chapters? Posts? What do you even call these? Anyway, parts of the book are new, others are from the blog, all put together in something approaching a coherent narrative. I'm not terribly upset about blog posts being included in the book. It wouldn't make sense without some of them, and some others are just so good and so well-known that to leave them out would make the book incomplete.

It's much bigger than I had expected, containing a good eighteen chapterposts from 10 to 50 pages long each, but that doesn't matter because you'll read the whole thing in one sitting if you're not a communist. The first chapter alone has swearing at a two-year-old, time travel, and nudity of the most gratuitous sort. In that order.

The thing about this book (and Allie's blog) is...beyond the laughs, she's actually really good. Her two posts on what depression is like (both included here) are the best explanations I've ever seen. And what look initially like simple stick figure drawings are actually surprisingly detailed illustrations that convey a full range of emotion. The art is good, the stories are fantastic, and her telling of them is what makes it all work. Most importantly of all, the cover is a pleasing shade of yellow.

Buy a copy for yourself. Buy one for the office, one for the house, one to keep in the gentleman's closet, one for your neighbors, one for everyone you know for Christmas. You'll like it, they'll like it, it'll class up both your workplace and your toilet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious and a half. And Heartbreaking, more than a half. (that's only 43.22% Hyperbole btw), October 29, 2013
I just got this book this morning via kindle. I thought I'd take a quick peek via the website at what I bought (holding off on immediately opening things I bought, recieved or otherwise obtained is NOT one of my strong points. I would make a very shitty postman). Of course, a few hours later, here I am at work, having done nothing of the list of things that have been overdue since last week, and still very happy I spent my morning this way.

There's a fair few bits of the blog coming back (although it's mostly the ones I was happy to re-read due to either being so brainnumbingly good I just delighted in them, or one of the few bits I haven't re-read a million times already), but a substantial part of the book is entirely new stuff.

And the new stuff is GOOOOOD. If you, like any reasonable person (and quite a few certifiable people) loved her insights on depression and the problems arising when little boys and/or girls get mistaken for grown-ups just because they've been around on this earth for a few decades, you'll love her new stuff. Her ruthless disection of the many ways in which her ideal of herself is not anywhere near the person she is, is something we can all relate to.

And if you don't struggle for breath from laughter at the dog Q&A, I don't know what to tell you, except that you might be even more horrible of a person than Allie is.

So, to finish off: one question for the author. From my stupid cat.
Q: Srsly, why never bees?

5.0 out of 5 stars If you enjoyed the blog, support the author, December 2, 2013
The majority of negative reviews seem to come from these camps:

1. There's not enough all-new, previously unpublished content
2. The new content that is there isn't as funny as the original blog
3. I don't like the graphic novel-ish format and prefer reading online
4. The book contains too many F-bombs for my taste

... to which I counter:

If you are already a fan of Allie's previous work, support her by buying her book. Regardless of the ratio of new vs republished work, by investing in the book, you can forever own a piece of Allie's work and hold it in your hands, and share it with others in the physical world in a more permanent and tangible way than pushing a button to just send them yet another link. Not to mention that it's the right thing to do. Invest a little coin to support a struggling artist who has been brave enough to bare her soul and gracious enough to previously share her work for free. By buying her book, you send the author a vote of confidence and tell her that her work has value.

If you are not already familiar with Allie's work, read the "Best of" section of the Hyperbole and a Half blog first. Then understand that since that blog was written, the author has been openly struggling with debilitating depression and her new work comes from a much darker place. Given that, the raw language and journey into the abyss in her newer pieces may not be your cup of tea. And that's okay. Simply move along, then, nothing more to see here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guaranteed to fill you with nostalgia, cripple you with laughter, and become your next internet obsession, December 30, 2013
Allie Brosh's pinpointed humor, childish yet not-quite-childish anecdotes, and incredibly self-realized life stories at her cherished blog, Hyperbole and a Half, are what made her an internet icon. You either have never heard of her, or worship the ground upon she walks. There is no in-between.

For the first time, her illustrated memoir essays are bound, and this print volume features not only eight of her most popular and most affecting blog entries, but also ten brand-new original pieces that will remind you of why you fell in love with her blog in the first place—or if you're unfamiliar with it, just how much you've been missing out.

Hyperbole and a Half is so well known for its bizarrely hilarious cartoons; as exemplified in the infamous "CLEAN ALL THE THINGS!" meme, her essays are accompanied by intentionally rudimentary Paint (et al.) illustrations that bring her personality and wit to life. Some daft early readers commented "I could draw way better than you!" on her posts, and well, that's the point. (Those readers didn't last very long).

Brosh's short memoirs are so special because they are highly conscientious, highly exaggerated (hence the hyperbole part), and perfectly capture the essence of identity and self-acceptance. I find it magical how she manages to be sentimental without being corny, intellectual without being standoffish, and comical without being snarky. She covers nostalgic topics like the mishaps of childhood, edgy topics like chronic depression, and downright entertaining topics like the weird and lovable beasts that are dogs. I swear to you: THERE ARE SO MANY DOGS IN THIS BOOK. If you have dogs, this is a must-read for a good laugh. If you have ever struggled with depression or self-doubt, this is a must-read for harsher realities and a sliver ever-burning hope. If you had a childhood, this is a must-read because—don't even lie to me: everyone was a child once. This book—and blog!—is simply a must-read, no excuses.

Pros: Some of my favorite essays from the blog selected // New content is fresh and original; did not disappoint // Dorky, strange, hilarious // Spunky and kooky; makes you want to be Allie's BFF // Appropriate for all ages // Still manages to be deeply meaningful and substantial

Cons: Not enough stories! I want MORE

Verdict: This blog-inspired collection of full-color-illustrated memoirs—ranging from lifetime reflections to random observant wisps of humor—is guaranteed to fill you with nostalgia, cripple you with laughter, and become your next internet obsession. An adult graphic novel that would just as easily please preteens, Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened is entertaining, wacky, and at times, even somber—and this attitude of not taking things too seriously, yet still being sincere, makes it that much more of an extraordinary experience. Brosh's intelligent but self-deprecating humor will charm you and disarm you. This is a book to be read over and over again.

Rating: 10 out of 10 hearts (5 stars): I'm speechless; this book is an extraordinarily amazingly wonderfully fantastically marvelous masterpiece. Drop everything and go buy yourself a copy now!

Source: Complimentary copy provided by publisher in exchange for an honest and unbiased review (thank you, Simon & Schuster!).

3.0 out of 5 stars New material - more heartbreaking than humorous, November 11, 2013
The author is such a talent, and it was more sad than enjoyable to read story after story of her beating herself up for being a supposedly awful person. Her 'Depression Pt 1' and 'Depression Pt 2' were beautifully heartbreaking honest descriptions of suffering with depression. But her stories 'Motivation', 'Thoughts and Feelings', 'Identity Pt 1' and 'Identity Pt 2' felt less like fully realized stories and more like circular self-flagellation that left me shifting uncomfortably in my seat. The exuberance and joy that came along with such stories like 'The God of Cake' and 'The Party' were gone - these new stories were the stories of a human being in pain. I know that Allie is getting help, and I hope it will help her realize that she is certainly not as terrible as she seems to believe.

I have trouble scoring my review because I don't think her book should be downmarked for writing about pain. I'd really give this a 3.5 if that were possible. But I do think that the stories above were pretty aimless, and the new ones that were full stories, like 'Lost in the Woods' were not as funny as some of the classics that had me rolling in laughter. However, some of the new stories were great, like 'The Helper Dog is an...' and really, anything to do with her dogs.

I'm happy to support this author, and I hope that she will continue to make strides in her recovery from depression. I'm sure I would buy another book from her in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING! Allie does not disappoint!, October 29, 2013
I've been counting down the days for this book to arrive on my Kindle (I pre-ordered it a few months ago). I was going to try to have some self restraint and wait for tonight, but I could not resist!! If you don't know anything about Allie Brosh or "Hyperbole and a Half," please go check out her blog. I would honestly be shocked if you do not come back here and buy her book after reading a few of her posts like "Sneaky Hate Spiral" and "This is Why I'll Never Be an Adult".

Allie Brosh is smart, honest, and more often than not, hysterically funny. She honestly shares her childhood memories and has an incredible way of even recalling her childhood rationale. She writes in a way that makes you feel like she is your best friend regaling her tales of childhood and her extraordinarily, ordinary life events.

This book is amazing! Allie included a few stories for her blog, but a lot of new stuff. She definitely makes up for not posting for a while.

Thank you, Allie for writing a book! If you happen to read this review (highly unlikely, I'm sure), I really wish we could be friends! Please take that in the most un-creepy way possible! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A naive and rational scrutiny of the insanity of life., November 16, 2013
What Allie does is surprising. She somehow combines being naive and deeply rational, taking anything we take for granted, and tearing it apart to see what's inside. She's always like a child looking at something for the first time. The results are hilarious and heartbreaking. Like an acrobat, pulling dangerous tricks with her mind, she goes to places we would be afraid to go, all for the sake of our entertainment. There is brutal sincerity, brutal analysis, and a very accurate description of what it's like to be pseudo-intelligent and supposedly self-aware animals crawling planet Earth. (SPOILER!!!!!: Are we really any different from Simple Dog? And isn't she much happier?)

4.0 out of 5 stars Millenial Mini-Manifesto (hereafter known as an "MMM"), December 8, 2013
Phil Keeling "Phil" (Savannah, GA United States) - See all my reviews
I know I’m not the only person in my age range that doesn’t much care for the stereotypes that go along with being a “millennial”. On one hand, we’ve adopted a guttersnake economy, we’re overmedicated, and we’re being told two converging messages: one of “leaving your campsite cleaner than when you found it” and the other of “a man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do”. On the other hand, our inability to feed ourselves and our families on minimum wage has been construed as “lazy”, we’re often *under*medicated, and our one refuge of the internet is filled with some many converging ideas that it’s a wonder we leave our dirty apartments at all.

To me, Allie Brosh has done a better job than just about anyone of expressing the fear, frustration, and just plain rampant silliness of being a millennial. This might sound overblown to those with only a passing understanding of her work (indeed–even bona fide fans might think I’m reading too much into this). Brosh’s “Hyperbole and a Half” collects several of the essays from her blog of the same name, and even tosses in some new ones. The stories are accented by Brosh’s child-like (yet completely compelling and hilarious) doodles. The essay topics vary greatly, from low self esteem to raising insane dogs to childhood to clinical depression.

And that is where Brosh’s collection goes from insanely clever and charming picture book to millennial mini-manifesto (hereafter referred to as an “MMM”). In an age where “why can’t you just be happy?” is seen as a valid request of someone who has been discouraged to talk about his or her mental illness their entire life, Brosh makes the explanation of her own depression just that: an explanation. She makes everything clear–especially the aspects of it that make just as little sense to her as anyone else. And she does all of this while being charming, witty, and incredibly relatable. While these stories are certainly in the minority compared to the rest of the book, they leave the most lasting impression.

Beyond these moments, however, Brosh is just plain laugh out loud funny. Her comics complement the stories perfectly, and never feel tacked on or superfluous. Her story of being attacked by a goose is a particularly terrific example of this, and she even includes stills from a video she made of the event, lest we think she was just making the entire event up.

If I had anything to complain about, it’s merely that this book is so short. The entirety of it can be read in an afternoon, and it’s just so good that you can’t help but hop onto your computer and browse her blog for more goodness (which may have been her evil genius plan in the first place). Brevity aside–this is a fun book. I think that Ms. Brosh is a talented wit and an introspective young lady, and I really look forward to seeing what else she comes up with down the line.