5.0 out of 5 stars What's not to like about this?
The latest release from Lightning Bolt offers everything you've come to expect from the band: the noisiest and most aggressive sounding bass guitar in the business, spastic drumming that fills every sonic nook and cranny and devastating riffs that could wake a person from a coma.

Published on October 25, 2005 by BigBadZep

3.0 out of 5 stars Regress, no way
Published on October 18, 2005 by D. K. Malone

5.0 out of 5 stars What's not to like about this?, October 25, 2005
This review is from: Hypermagic Mountain (Audio CD)

Essentially the guys have managed to maintain their trademark sound, so hardcore fans need not fear. Where this album differs from previous Lightning Blot efforts is in it's production, which feels better. Not only that, but it's denser, at times creating the illusion of a thick unpenetrable wall of sound.

Where this album differs from noise rock acts in general is in it's attitude. Simply put, Hypermagic Mountain has a child-like exuberance about it. With song titles like "2 Morro Morro Land" and "Captain Caveman" it's comparable to a couple of kindergartners hopped up on sugar with an endless supply of energy. Brian Gibson and Brian Chippendale sound like two kids happy to bang away on their instruments just because it's fun. The result is an album that hits the listener at full blast, never slows down, never gets boring or predictable, and is jubilant enough to put a smile on your face.

4.0 out of 5 stars more elemental, January 8, 2007
This review is from: Hypermagic Mountain (Audio CD)
For many who come across this page, you might be largely unfamiliar with Lightning Bolt's work. These poetic descriptions of "a chainsaw through pudding meets a baseball bat and trash can" are more than a bit misleading.

At its heart, Lightning Bolt is a constant jam: Brian Gibson's fuzzed out, tuned up bass lines over Brian Chippendale's frantic, yet fluid drumming. It isn't just cluttered noise, there is rhythm and melody involved. What you won't find are sing along choruses, just monstrous sounds from unorthodox setups. The bass is tuned up to Cello tuning (in fifths, starting at C) and the drummer doesn't play on a hi hat (he uses a large ride cymbal's bell and a "ping" cymbal). Occasionally (on this album, "Dead Cowboy" is one of the few...) Chippendale sings through a phone receiver mounted in a mask (allows him to play).

While not as "accessible" as their last album, it does a better job of conveying their "magic". This album was done in a more "jam econo" (to borrow a term from the Minutemen) format: recorded on a 2-track DAT in a home studio.

The album's few lyrics touch a little on the political, instead of the tongue-and-cheek allusions of their earlier releases (a combination of the two has basically fueled other noise-rock bands, like The Blood Brothers). If you can understand it, there is a bit of GW Bush skewering... but that sort of brings up an undeniable point about the band: this is the true heartbeat of punk.

It's not a haircut, or 1-4-5 song structures that are co-opted by the mainstream... if anyone forgot other, more idealistic bands (Refused, Fugazi), Lightning Bolt is a bit refreshing. They have been together over ten years and continue to get better and just rock out. They haven't been hemmed in by scene kids or given an inch in artistic vision. Ultimately, the music is as much art as it is music: you don't paint to get famous, you do it because you have to ("...never trust an artist that tells you he has a choice...").

Lightning Bolt goes for the guts, loud and abrasive. If you are at least familiar with the bigger art/noise bands that have come into indie vogue (Test Icicles, The Blood Brothers, and to a lesser extent, DFA) then Lightning Bolt is worth checking out.

If any of this piques your interest, I implore you to buy this album (support the band). At the end of the day, Lightning Bolt is just two guys who are good at what they do, stick to their guns like few others, and do it all with very little ego (that is something unique in music).

5.0 out of 5 stars Like GOD, October 22, 2005
This review is from: Hypermagic Mountain (Audio CD)
I don't care if the other 11 tracks sounded like Christopher Cross as long as it had Megaghost on it I'd give it 5 stars still. It attacks your mind, your everyday thinking, it kills brain cells and normal sensitivity to anything else you hear, all will be sweeter after a trip to Hypermagic Mountain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heavy dude, November 8, 2005
This review is from: Hypermagic Mountain (Audio CD)
This is a band that I have been hearing a lot about over the years. They have been around for ten years and have had a lot of impact. They definitely were heard by DFA 1979, Wolf Eyes, and The Locust. And plenty of other bands. They definitely have had an impact on some crazy Japanese bands like DMBQ. This is two-man heavy rock. This is a good place to start for people like me who are often late to the game. Three or four songs into this and it's totally relentless. This music needs to be heard in all its loudness. I hate those old people who have earplugs. What the hell are you listening to? I am listening to this record right now (track six) and my hearing is damaged. But I am hearing this in all its glory. I don't think this is a record for mellow people or people with a heart condition. This is excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Machine Gun Orgy, November 5, 2006
This review is from: Hypermagic Mountain (Audio CD)
OK, so if you are just cruising around amazon and don't no anything about lightning bolt, let me fill you in. I've heard people describe this band as the following: Two Helicopters kissing, getting hit in the chest with a sonic MACK truck, getting beat over the head by a beatiful girl with a baseball bat, a duel between jack hammers and chainsaws, and being stoned to death buy speaker feedback. Personally i like it, the first time i heard their album "wonderful rainbow" i was in my car and thout of it as just noise; then i got out of my car, fell to my knees and realized my soul had melted. no joke, its a true story. well anyway, they were born out of an art school in rhode island as a rock power duo (bass guitar and drums) even though it sounds like 30,000 monkeys... their early "work" are random pieces of musical information that your head finally pieces together into kinda music before the "song" throws your head under a tractor. their new stuff (Hyper magic mountain) is less rediculous.. and kinda catchy...kinda, you realy have to hear this band to understand what i mean and hypermagic mountain is a good start. its hard to get into the feel of Lightning bolt, so its best to take baby steps.

so here is what you are gonna do.

1)buy hypermagicmountain

2)fall in love with lightning bolt

3)buy the rest of thier music

4) prepare yourself

5)see them live and try to survive... i almost exploded

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE JOLT COLA, AND THIS ALBUM!!!!, August 3, 2006
This review is from: Hypermagic Mountain (Audio CD)
OK, here's my take this peace of work. I think this is one of the most intense, brutal, and "in your face" cd I've ever owned! Lightning Bolt is one of my favorite bands, and I've had all their cd's before this one, and I have loved all of them. I was so excited when I got Hypermagic Mountain. Like others I was expecting Wonderful Rainbow or Ride the Skies, but when I put the cd in, it blew all my expectations away! This album makes everything else I listen to a yawn (even the other Lightning Bolt cds)! So, I think this is Lightning Bolt at their best and loudest! I can't wait to hear these songs live, 'cause there's no doubt in my mind that I'll go crazy along with everyone else!

Also, how could I forget the art-work!! The art-work alone is worth buying! There isn't an inch of this cd that isn't cover in crayon!! So, Hypermagic Mountain keeps my ears and eyes overwelmed with excitment and joy.

5.0 out of 5 stars ( ! ), December 28, 2006
77Jim (Philadelphia PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hypermagic Mountain (Audio CD)
I picked up this one and Wonderful Rainbow out of curiosity. I sat with the headphones on and did nothing else; just let the hyperactive tunes sink into my head... the music flat out Godsmacked me.

I found the sound is actually a bit more melodic and less "noise" than a lot of reviews are describing, but then again attempting a description here is a challenge. Be brave and pick up a disk by this band; they are a breath of fresh air.

HIGHLY recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bestttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt, March 19, 2014
This review is from: Hypermagic Mountain (Audio CD)
Boasting raw hung, bang, bang bang, If I sounded like god I would flute all I know to screw once and then again, Amen...

5.0 out of 5 stars Bolt from the red, January 28, 2006
This review is from: Hypermagic Mountain (Audio CD)
Boy this is something else! It sounds like a jam but obviously isn't. The basic riffs define the song backed by over played drum madness a la Mitch Mitchell but always in harmony with each other. Truly this is western music returnd to shamanic presence more than will allow our western minds to split animal from Victorian thought over it. Bestial.

3.0 out of 5 stars Regress, no way, October 18, 2005
This review is from: Hypermagic Mountain (Audio CD)
Lightning Bolt has gone through some evolution during their existence. Their first album, "the yellow album," was basically pure white noise. On their next two albums, Ride the Skies and Wonderful Rainbow, they showed some growth by taking their chaotic sound and infusing it with some catchy hooks, rhythms, melodies, etc. On the Power of Milkshakes DVD, the drummer mentions that one of their friends/fans/roommates/whatever had said to him that Lightning Bolt had begun to "write songs." It wasn't a compliment, it was a criticism. They were pointing it out as a flaw. And the drummer seemed to sheepishly agree. "Yeah, I guess we did kinda lose our way. We never should have started writing actual songs. Sorry, we won't let it happen again." Not a direct quote of course, but that the impression I got from whatever he said.

So, I can't say I'm surprised that, for the most part, this new album actually sounds closer to the first album than to Skies or Rainbow. Being that I personally think those albums are far, far superior to the first album, I'm not really digging this too much. There are a couple of "songs" (track 1 and the second half of track 7 come to mind) but most of it is just thick murky noise that takes effort to sort through in order to find the song kernel hidden inside. When they do break out a riff, it's usually a low-brow pummeling assault, as opposed to the playful and ironic stuff they've done before. Sometimes I like noise, but I've come to expect more from Lightning Bolt.

Hypermagic Mountain
Hypermagic Mountain by Lightning Bolt (Audio CD - 2005)
Rate and Discover Movies