5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Message!
After reading the negative reviews on here I decided to write my own in case you are wondering what you'd get out of this movie.
If you are looking for proof that the ONLY way to survive in this planet is by killing eachother, stepping over people and ignoring social issues and calling those who don't crazy, then no, this movie is not for you.
If you have an...
Published on February 5, 2012 by Mini Mini

2.0 out of 5 stars Missed the science mark
While I do agree wholeheartedly with the basic, positive message of this movie (we need to be more compassionate and loving toward eachother and nature), I feel Tom Shadyac could have made a much stronger case for his premise had he interviewed actual scientists to talk about the science. Instead he interviewed (for the most part) journalists, authors, and "science...
Published on January 6, 2012 by NancyR

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Message!, February 5, 2012
This review is from: I AM (DVD)
If you have an open heart and know deep in your core that there is evidence all around that what we are doing is NOT working, that we are ALL suffering because we are living life like brainwashed robots, then this movie might be of interst to you... This movie is about the basics, about how we can all tap into our most effortless human instincts and feelings of love, compassion, co-operation etc, and how those are more powerful than you even realize.

What can possibly be wrong with that message???? And why do we need a discussion on who is a real scientist for this?? If someone treats you poorly your whole life and you are miserable, should I require scientific evidence that the other person's treamtment REALLY is the cause..?? Once we start going that road, then no, this movie is the least of your problems because your foundation itself is not all that solid.
If you are of the firm belief that abuse, oppression and unhealthy competition to be the best, to be better than every one else is the way the live life, then yes, you will hate this movie.
For every one else: I'm yet to meet someone who doesn't love this. We as a societly DESPERATLY need more products out there with these kind of messages, particularly for our youth since our adults are so bitter and jaded (as you can clearly see here..) :):)

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing!!, May 4, 2011
I saw Tom's interview on Oprah and immediately looked for theatre showings. This documentary is life changing. As Tom notes in the film, "nature takes only what it needs". The giant redwood doesn't take all the nutrients from the soil, only what it needs. The lion doesn't kill every gazelle, only what it needs. The whole idea of living beyond ones needs is carried to the ultimate destruction of the host by cancer cells to the body and mankind to the planet. I loved his story of how a herd of deer determine when and where to move to water or to feed. True democracy in action. Community, community, community!! After the movie was over, everyone in the theatre stayed to watch the credits. As the lights came up and the film ended, big hugs erupted as people were leaving. Thank you, Tom, for a life-changing inspirational and educational experience.

BTW, I traveled a thousand miles to see this movie. Wish it had a wider distribution. John, New Mexico

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone Must Watch, October 24, 2011
Rosa Sumpter (COLUMBIA, MO, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I AM (DVD)
I was honored to watch this movie for a company meeting. I was not informed previous to watching what the movie was about. It was kept a secret. But after watching I realized that it was great. Tom was able to get interviews with some very pertinent individuals in the neurology, science, religious, medical fields. This movie gives great examples on how "I am the problem, and I am the solution". Especially in this day there are so many people blaming other's. We can only change ourselves. It is a great movie and a must watch for everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars This documentary saved my life...Thank you to Tom Shadyac and crew:you have changed everything for me!!! :), July 18, 2011
Fortean Anomalie (way way way out there) - See all my reviews
I saw this movie at the Dundee Theatre in Omaha NE.I was extremely depressed when I saw it.My fiancee had died 2 years ago and I had a heart-attack 2 days after he died and have had heart-problems ever since.My fiancee Bob had been in a very serious bicycle-accident that had left him in a coma and when he finally awoke he was never the same again-I had put it down to other things(his father was ill) and then blamed myself when Bob killed himself.
The Director of "I Am" had also had a biking accident and his description of post-concussion syndrome sounded exactly like Bob,and as I sat there in the theatre I was finally able to see this wasn't my fault.I thought to myself--"Now if only it would expain my heart problems" and then it did;and then it explained what is wrong with the world and in the procees confirmed that everything I have come to believe is true!
I cannot reccommend this movie enuff!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I've seen I AM 5 times in theaters, now buying the DVD, November 5, 2011
This review is from: I AM (DVD)
This film is chock-full of great thoughts, wisdom and facts that we probably won't see in one place any other way. It took so much courage for Tom to take a seering look at himself and his life. To learn that even though it looked to the outside world like he had done it "all right," in fact, he had it "all wrong."

But through his eyes, education and experience, he not only realized how the world can become a great place we actually feel good about, but provides a blue print showing how we can all create a fulfilling personal life.

What's wrong with the world? I AM

What's right with the world? I AM

Major kudos. Well, well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars What really counts, May 22, 2011
Peg Runnels (Austin, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
I just saw this movie in a theater after seeing Tom Shadyac on Oprah and am inspired. Sign me up to purchase a DVD as soon as that is available because I want friends and family to see this life-changing documentary about love and connectivity and it won't in theaters much longer. For some reason (because it is an indie?) there hasn't been much press.

Powerful images of love and pain illustrate our visceral response to other humans and animals: I laughed, winced and shed a couple of tears.

Science only deals with what is measurable, but we all know there is much more to life than what can be counted. In fact, what can be counted doesn't count for much in the long run. This movie made me think about what really counts.

Peg R.

5.0 out of 5 stars IF EVERY MEMBER OF THIS PLANET..., June 2, 2011
...saw and lived this provocative and life-changing documentary, undoubtedly our world would be a much better place. This is the perfect response to the important life-long question "How, then, shall we live?" In a culture that celebrates youth and superficial values, I particularly loved how Tom interviewed some of the wisest people living today--and in most cases, they were over sixty.

An amazing blessing in my life was when I ran into Tom Shadyac at my daughter's Kenyon College graduation a few weeks after seeing the film (apparently, his nephew was graduating that same day); he was just as gracious and authentic in person as the movie depicted him to be. I can't wait to use it in my English classroom next year, as I am confident that it will be a life-changer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and Uplifting!, May 20, 2011
I saw this movie tonight and I want to get a copy of it to share with everyone I know! In a simple, down-to-earth way Shadyac shows what wrong in the world and what we can do about it! A huge undertaking and complete in its own way. Well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Am: A New Outlook on The World, January 2, 2012
D. Reed (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I AM (DVD)
"The world is his who can see through its pretension...see it to be a lie and you have already dealt it its mortal blow." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

So begins the documentary film "I Am" by Tom Shadyac, big time Hollywood director who had an epiphany after an accident nearly cost him his life. This film will transform your understanding of who you are and inspire you about humanity and what is possible for our global destiny.

Learn what Darwin actually said about survival -- that sympathy is the strongest instinct in human nature and that our ability to cooperate and take care of others is how our species evolved. This film DEFINES the new outlook that will prevail in 2012, and provides access to a breakthrough for humanity.

As the Gandhi quote says, "Be the change you want to see in the world." Filmmaker Shadyac says, "I AM isn't as much about what you can do, as who you can be. And from that transformation of being, action will naturally follow."

Don't miss it -- you'll want to share this with everyone!

from the review at: [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Tom Shadyac's I AM Gets To The Heart Of What Is Really Important, January 11, 2012
This review is from: I AM (DVD)
I first heard of Tom Shadyac's amazing personal journey on the Oprah Winfrey Show, and then after watching the documentary on the Oprah Winfrey Network I knew it would be something I wanted to purchase and watch again.

What struck me the most about I AM is that it helps us all to stop and think about what is really important to us and more importantly why it is important. For Tom he was living a world that so many of us would love to be a part of, but he realized after a tragic incident that it really didn't make him the real person that he is. What happened next was a conscious decision to find out who he was, why he was here and what he could really do to make the world a better place.

I AM is an obvious biblical reference to God explaining who He is, and I think it is an appropriate title for this film because we are asked to evaluate who we are and why we are the way we appear to be. Tom's changes in his life might seem to some extreme, but the idea of celebrity and all of the trappings that come from it can be just as extreme. There is absolutely nothing wrong with success. It's what you do with that platform and how you use what you have to make the world around you a better place that really makes you shine.

It's not easy to just appreciate the little things, but Tom helped me to see that in the end that is all we really have. All that we are building has the potential to be destroyed, and what will be left? If we are not living authentically we will be lost along with everything else.

I AM gets to the heart of what is really important, and that is why it is something all of us should take the time out to consider.

I AM
I AM by Tom Shadyac (DVD - 2012)
$14.98 $10.79