5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating look at standup
Published on September 30, 2010 by D. Surine

Another reviewer, Jessup, wrote a fine review I recommend to you. It reassured me to know someone else thought Carlos Mencia was obnoxious. Nick Kroll, too, but Mencia was off the charts.

Published 3 months ago by Steve Kohn

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating look at standup, September 30, 2010
This review is from: I Am Comic (DVD)
As an up-and-coming standup comedian, I found this movie to be extremely interesting. As great as Jerry Seinfeld's "Comedian" was, this movie really digs deep into the life of a comedian. Clearly, standup is not for everyone, but those who do it (generally) absolutely love it. The movie talks with such greats as Tim Allen, Tom Arnold, Roseanne, Sarah Silverman, Bobcat, Jeff Foxworthy, and more. They share how they got started, hecklers, and those horrible gigs that every comedian dreads. If you're thinking of a life of standup, you may first want to look at this film. However, even if you just like standup and can appreciate what they do, you'll also enjoy this movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Support your need for the Comic!, July 16, 2010
This review is from: I Am Comic (DVD)
I like comedy, almost any kind really, light, dark, slapstick, stand up, etc. The life of a stand up comic would be great, right? Hanging around fun people, full of laughs and more, for sure...after viewing this interesting and humorous `insiders' look at the world of stand up, it's clear that it takes a certain kind of person to succeed, no matter how talented that person may be. If you love to laugh, and ever wondered what it might be like to be a stand up comic, you'll enjoy this one immensely. I enjoyed the sheer number of the very talented funny people here who candidly and humorously conveyed what it's like to be in their `shoes'; some were new to me and some were not, Tommy Davidson has a unique approach, he's a riot, as is Kathy Griffin, Sarah Silverman, Tim Allen, Margaret Cho...so many faces, all hilarious in their own ways...see this movie and then go out and support your local comics!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT COMEDY DOC!, August 7, 2010
This review is from: I Am Comic (DVD)
This is a heartwarming hilarious film that covers aspects many comedy films don't; the genesis of famous bits from comics like Sara Silverman, the road, sitcom, comeyd burnout. But my favorite part was Ritch Shydner who went from narrator to trying a comeback after 12 years. I loved how revealing he was, how he needed drugs when he was a comic to keep the high going, and his need for anti-depressants when he quit. This is a great sleeper. Will be a cult film about the comedy world for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're a comic, or want to be a comic, watch this., April 20, 2014
This review is from: I Am Comic (Amazon Instant Video)
I've been a comic for almost 5 years. When anyone asks me for any advice, I say watch "I Am Comic." If you still want to be a comic after this, then you might have a chance. It's a tough tough gig, and this doc doesn't sugar coat it. It's straightforward, it gives you information you might not know, and it's funny!

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely liked this documentary, July 8, 2014
Christopher M. Turner (Pompano Beach, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Am Comic (Amazon Instant Video)
Definitely liked this documentary. Seemed a bit depressing in the beginning as we see the apparently goal lacking comics and the downside of life on the road. But, that changes when Ritch Shnyder comes out of retirement and gets back to it. Pretty hopeful and exciting to watch.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good attempt to give us insight into the Comic, but not nearly enough, September 3, 2014
This review is from: I Am Comic (DVD)

As I write this, I'm looking at two DVDs in the fine "Thou Shalt Laugh" series, full of comedians I could watch with my granddaughters. None of the comics -- some superb -- seem to have been interviewed in I Am Comic. I'm not going to wonder if there's a logical reason, just to muse that if the director's or producer's address book were different, "I Am Comic" would have been as well.

The DVD's bonus features had two interviews that should have been in the movie. Maybe they were too long, but they were insightful into the life of a professional comic. One was about stand up comedy on a cruise ship, the other about a prom gig gone terribly wrong.

I have a lot of respect for good comics, and "I Am Comic" included a lot of good/great ones. But, for my money, it also included one-too-many self-centered, insecure fools who took precious time from those with something important to tell us.

In the end I felt I understood a little better those who do stand up but wished a lot more time was spent with some of them, a lot less time with others. This film isn't the final word on the subject.

One last thought: In general, I think comics who use profanity in their work are lazy, using profanity instead of developing material and presentation. Bill Cosby continues to do great stand up (ha, actually, sit down) and our mothers can enjoy his show sitting right beside us. The only comedian -- and that's the wrong word for this First Amendment pioneer -- who used profanity with intelligence and purpose was Lenny Bruce. Richard Pryor's later work (that I saw, anyway, on DVD) was embarrassing for him. The only laughs he'd get would be when he'd curse. As if that were funny. Sad.

Which is not to confuse profanity with sex. Sex is a great topic for comedy. Maybe the best topic. But sex is not profane, no more than politics, money, food, sports, etc, are.

Too many comics think they're being funny when they're merely being juvenile. The sad thing is that we, the audience, applaud them.

4.0 out of 5 stars The sad truth behind the clown's mask, May 10, 2013
This review is from: I Am Comic (Amazon Instant Video)
This is a gripping DVD, that shows how hard it is to become a comic - and to stay at a high level of performance. It takes the viewer through the whole unglamorous side of getting on stage in tiny clubs and developing an act into the polished product we see on TV. Very true to life.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Lives of Comedians, January 8, 2011
This review is from: I Am Comic (DVD)
I Am Comic is a documentary that looks at the lives of standup comedians. A would-be standup must sacrifice to succeed. For instance, one comedian in the film admits that she is still living with her parents. Many of the biggest names in comedy (Tim Allen, Sarah Silverman, Jeff Foxworthy, and many others) also recount their experiences in this difficult business.

The film focuses on the highs that a standup is always chasing - both from performing and from drugs. (Drug use seems to be an epidemic among comedians). At the end of the film, however, the viewer is left wondering what, exactly, is so appealing about being a comic.

This is a very raunchy film. Of course, there are lots of off-color jokes. Also, the comedians proudly recount the war stories from their seedy, hedonistic lives. There is even an animation of a cartoon couple having "relations." I didn't find this content offensive, but potential viewers should be forewarned.

I Am Comic explains the changes that have occurred in standup over the years. In the last twenty years, standup clubs have spread from Los Angeles and New York to many smaller cities across the U.S. The new clubs create opportunities for comedians, but they also keep comedians on the road for months on end. (An unexplored topic is the impact that all of this time away from home has on the comics' personal lives).

One comedian struggling with all of the changes is Ritch Shydner. Shydner was a successful standup from 1979 to 1997, then he quit the business for unexplained reasons. After thirteen years away, Shydner attempts a comeback. I Am Comic examines Shydner's comeback and the viewer cheers for him to succeed.

I Am Comic has some great laughs and it exposes viewers to a subculture with which they are probably unfamiliar. I recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good start but missing a few key elements, February 24, 2011
This review is from: I Am Comic (DVD)
This documentary was absolutely riveting and a must see for anyone considering a career in comedy. Highlights were Phyllis Diller and Larry Miller. They were genuinely delightful. I found myself yearning for more footage of them and a little less of the others who seemed less funny than self involved.

One of the worst elements of this film was Carlos Mencia who came off as maniacal and frightening in his horrifying and utterly profane rant about stealing material from other comics. He was so unhinged that he seemed less like a comic and closer to serial killer. Why give him a platform and not one to his detractors...that was not right.

A profoundly galling omission from I Am Comic was Joan Rivers whose legacy was totally ignored, an obscene and careless breach given her astonishing body of work and contributions to the genre.

On that note I will that there was a strange "whippersnapper" element to this film that gave me the impression that the comedians of today have totally forgotten all those who came before them. The narrator says at one point that "the stand up comedy of today can be traced back to the 1970's" This absurd statement was juxtaposed with a flash of gratuitous photos of George Carlin and Richord Pryor. It was surprising and disheartening because it gave the producers a cheap excuse to get around mentioning the contributions of pre 70's legendary stand up performers such as JEAN CARROLL, Redd Foxx, Lenny Bruce, Uncle Milty, Mort Sahl, Lord Buckley, Dick Gregory, Bob Newhart, Jack Benny, Bob Hope, Fred Allen and even Frank Fay who originated the 20th century version of stand up comedy at The Palace Theater in the 1920's.

This documentary is really good and you should see it...I just wish that the producers would have been more respectful and reverent to the early stand up comedians whose sacrifices and passion are the very foundation for comics of today

5.0 out of 5 stars An honest look at comedy, October 19, 2014
This review is from: I Am Comic (DVD)
If you're interested in being a comic, or simply curious about the craft, this film is paramount

I Am Comic
I Am Comic by Jordan Brady (DVD - 2010)
$19.95 $11.01