Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on February 24, 2013
As compelling as the movie was, it doesn't compare with the I Am Legend story on the page. Dark, cerebral, yet explicit in its telling of the physical challenges, it keeps you reading. I gave this book as a gift to my nephew who carried it around for weeks.
on November 2, 2010
I Am Legend: I was really impressed with this collection of short stories by Richard Matheson. I was drawn to the work originally for the title story (yes, after seeing the movie of the same name.) While I enjoyed the film, I was really impressed with the novella presented here. It differs a lot from the film and I won't get into details because I don't want to ruin anything, but the treatment in the story is so much better than in the film that I became a little disappointed that the film went in such a different direction. The characters that Matheson creates in the story are very easy to relate to and to get emotionally attached to. All in all, it is a very engaging and well written tale. The rest of the stories presented in the collection are pretty good as well. Some are a little on the strange side, but overall they are very enjoyable.

Hell House: Hell House was a fairly entertaining ghost story with some nice twists and turns that for the most part kept the story moving along at a pretty steady pace. There were a couple of points in the book that I found to be a bit draggy and it seemed like the story was going to end several times only to continue on in another direction. I did enjoy it for the most part, but I would like to voice a word of caution that this novel contains some very adult themes and subject matter that I personally took no offense to, but can see how some people might.

I thought that this was a nice book to read after reading the collection of short stories in I Am Legend and will definitely be looking for more by Richard Matheson in the future.
on November 16, 2013
While all of the movie adaptations are good...there's nothing like the original story! This is a wonderful book filled with chilling, disturbing, and suspenseful stories.
on March 1, 2015