4.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Guitar Magazine Says...
Published on May 15, 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Just OK.
Published on February 25, 2001

4.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Guitar Magazine Says..., May 15, 2001
This review is from: I Can't Lose (Audio CD)
Deborah Coleman is a triple threat. She combines fresh songwriting, soulful vocals, and inspired guitarwork on this unique blend of blues, R&B, and soul. It's a magical combination. Coleman is surely one of the few people to be inspired to play guitar by The Monkees and Jimi Hendrix. In her teens and twenties, she played in a variety of bands before settling down to raise a daughter. Now she's back on the scene---and with a vengeance. She wowed the world at the Charleston Blues Festival's National Amateur Talent Search and soon recorded her first album, Takin' A Stand (New Moon, 1994). I Can't Lose is her second release and first major blues label CD. Coleman sings and plays like a spicy blend of Joan Armatrading and Sons Seals. Her songs are funky and sexy, a mix of B.B. King-style traditional blues and Isley Brothers soul tunes. Her lead guitar work is smart where many blues players are macho and her songwriting is new, unique, and downright inspiring. Buy this disc, and keep an eye on Deborah Coleman.

5.0 out of 5 stars She Rocks!!!!, August 3, 2000
This review is from: I Can't Lose (Audio CD)
Where has this woman been hiding, or better yet where have I been????? Had the opportunity to see Deborah Coleman LIVE recently. She played in my home town to a small crowd of around 300 folks. It was something else, she had EVERYONE dancing and loving life for the few hours she played. Had to check her out and found this first album of hers. I have an extensive music collection and couldnt believe I had never heard of this talented lady. This album truly will make a blues fan out of anyone!!! The lady has soul and guts to play her heart out on every track. You will not be dissappointed I assure you, give her a listen and you will be a fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deb's the real deal!!, October 3, 2008
This review is from: I Can't Lose (Audio CD)
In the world of blues I can't understand why Deborah Coleman's name has remained almost anonymous. She is absolutely fantastic as a musician and she definitely has some pipes. While this particular isn't quite as good as "A Soft Place to Fall" she still pours her heart out in her music. This is a great CD to have if you really like the blues. FYI - you should also check out Betty LaVette, another tremendous female performer.
Tick56

5.0 out of 5 stars who says women can't sing the blues, September 26, 2010
R. Wack (Centerburg, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Can't Lose (MP3 Music)
I saw her in Key West - serendipitously- this sounds good but she was much much better live.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just OK., February 25, 2001
This review is from: I Can't Lose (Audio CD)
I haven't heard any of Deborah Coleman's other albums but I have to say Amazon's reviewer seems to have it about right. I can't think of another woman who plays blues/rock this well (well, Jennifer Batten but that's another story) but the solos sound "fixed" & rehearsed like those soft & warm jazz records. If you think Robert Cray is on fire, you'll like this.

I Can't Lose
I Can't Lose by Deborah Coleman (Audio CD - 1997)