Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on January 31, 2013
We checked this book out at our local library and LOOOOOVED IT! I keep shoving it at family members to read to my daughter, because I want them to see how great it is. It's funny and silly and charming. My daughter loves it. I love reading it. It's got a great pace and adorable art work. I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend this book!
on December 29, 2013
My one year old loves "I Don't Want a Cool Cat" (by the same author) so much that I bought him this book. Both books are two of his absolutely favorites and must be read at bedtime multiple days a week! Highly recommend!
Adorable.
Sweet.
Good Read-aloud too!

I don't want a posh dog! is a charming, kid-friendly book that is all about a little girl's criteria for the perfect dog.

You might think the author, Emma Dodd, would start the book off with a list of attributes the little girl wants for her pet, but in fact she takes the opposite approach. Thus we find out that "snappy", "growly", "never-happy dogs" need not apply. And that the little girl definitely doesn't want "an itchy dog. A scritchy, scratchy, twitchy dog."

Ms. Dodd does this on purpose, of course, for by the time she turns this theme around, you find yourself waiting in anticipation for exactly what it is that she does want. And that's when Dodd zings you, hitting with a barrage of sweet messages -- ones that left us going Ahhhh.

Wrap Up:::
I Don't Want a Posh Dog! is a lovely book. The pages are thick and glossy and the artwork is adorable. On the whole, the book seems very substantial, although I must admit that nothing can stand up to a rowdy toddler on a rampage.

The lyrics and artwork (the principal charm of this book) are delightful. My kids, currently 7 and 9, chuckled throughout. I especially liked the breath of vocabularly words that were introduced.

The resource I referenced gave the Accelerated Reading level as a generic "1". Given the fact that the vocabulary includes words like "snooty", "bouncy" and "attitudey" I can only assume that it must be towards the high side of the 1 range-- perhaps 1.9.

The interest range for this book is fairly broad. Boys and girls as young as toddlers and as old as 8 or 9 could find it appealing. I'd consider it as a gift for dog-lovin' children under 6 years of age.

Very Good Read-a-Loud.

Pam T~
mom and reviewer for BooksforKids-reviews
on March 28, 2011
The illustrations in this book are loads of fun! As are the rhymes which - aside from the last few pages - flowed incredibly well and would probably be super fun to read aloud!

I liked the intent of the ending, and the sweetness that came along with it. But, I couldn't help but feel a little... not five-star-ish... about the 'stereotyping' of the various dog breeds. Maybe this is far too picky of me, and I know it's all in fun, but I love dogs and I had a hard time accepting that various breeds were 'posh' or 'snappy' 'snooty' or 'never-happy...'

I think the final - very important - message could have been conveyed in a different way.
on August 14, 2009
Emma Dodd knows how to illustrate and write a picture book. The illustrations show a little girl as she searches for the perfect dog all the while discussing the traits she doesn't want her dog to possess. No uppity poodles or stylish purse dogs for her and especially no mean, growling, biting dogs. She just wants to find the right dog for her. The story, told in short rhyming verses, describes multiple dogs using silly and funny adjectives like scritchy, scratchy and greedy, pleady. Many different comically illustrated dogs are pictured, and, for better or worse, the story includes some generalizations regarding certain dog breeds.

Dodd's adorable illustrations show texture sometimes though the use of different mediums including an almost collage like style. This is great book for dog-loving preschoolers, and is especially appropriate for families that are planning to search for the perfect family dog. (Cat lovers should check out Dodd's "I Don't Want a Cool Cat").
(Review copy provided by publisher)
on February 21, 2016
After checking this out twice from the library we had to buy it. My 2 yr old quotes from this book and can read over and over again
on June 24, 2009
Just a simple, fun book with fun illustrations. If your child likes/loves dogs then this book will be a hit.
on November 21, 2015