4.0 out of 5 stars I Have a Little Dreidel
Published on October 12, 2006 by Jewish Book World Magazine

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute if repetitive
Though this book does get a bit redundant, I must admit that I'm taking great delight in the fact that my three-year-old sings the refrain on every spread! Drawings are cute, it's fun, easy and encourages participation, its best feature. I wouldn't say it's my favorite book ever but it works.
Published on January 7, 2008 by Happy mom

4.0 out of 5 stars I Have a Little Dreidel, October 12, 2006
This adaptation of the dreidel song is paired with a rhyming story about a family and their relatives celebrating Hanukkah. They prepare and eat latkes, light eight candles (in the menorah, which is shown but not identified) and play the dreidel game. The story is on the left side of the book, and the refrain of the dreidel song appears on each facing page, framed in lovely blue and white painted borders. The borders look like papercuts, complete with Jewish stars and dreidels. The rollicking colorful gouache illustrations add to the child appeal, and will make this fun for families or teachers to read aloud.

This was reviewed from a proof, which indicates that the completed book will include the music for the song, as well as directions for making latkes. Hopefully, it will also include directions for playing the dreidel game. The text says " some take pennies out and put pennies in, and " it drops and then I win," but it doesn't tell what the Hebrew letters stand for, nor does it give their numeric value or clear directions for playing the game. Recommended for ages 3-6, based on what the completed book will contain. Reviewed by Andrea Davidson

5.0 out of 5 stars Pairing the dreidel song with cultural insights., December 9, 2006
Maxie Baum's I HAVE A LITTLE DREIDEL is a fine story of Hanukkah celebrations, adapting the popular dreidel song for new young audiences. Julie Paschkis provides the folk art perfect for pairing the dreidel song with cultural insights.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 2007 Association of Jewish Libraries Notable Book for Younger Readers, January 27, 2007
While the familiar dreidel song has been illustrated in several children's books, this version cleverly adds new verses to the song detailing a contemporary family's celebration of Hanukkah. Besides just playing dreidel, the family makes latkes, lights the menorah, and enjoys a delicious dinner together. The festive illustrations are highly stylized and the text is surrounded by blue borders reminiscent of paper-cutting artwork. A potato latke recipe is included as well as instructions for playing dreidel and the music to the song. While it does not recount the story of the Maccabees, this is a fun introduction to Chanukah and a wonderful resource for teachers and Jewish parents looking for a book to use in the public schools during the December holidays.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Reference Book for Young Dreidel Players, January 6, 2009
If, like me, you can neither remember the words of the dreidel song from year to year, nor what each hebrew letter stands for, this book is perfect for you. I agree with reviews that say the book is repetitious, but for my 3 and 4 year olds, that's a plus. My kids enjoyed the illustrations as well. As a mom, I love the two pages in the back, one outlining how to play the dreidel - with clear description of the four hebrew letters - and how to make potato latkes. This book is going to be our hanukah reference book from now on.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice Chanukah book for the preschool set., November 20, 2013
Maxie Baum's I Have a Little Dreidel will charm the 2-5 year old set. I dug the folk-arty illustrations and really liked the way the song's refrain alternated with new text, which conveyed a lot more about contemporary Chanukah celebrations than the original lyrics. My daughter was able to sing along on every other page, but she could listen intently on the alternating ones.

Orthodox readers might notice that one of the adult women is wearing pants, but I didn't notice any other possible concerns for Orthodox families. Liberal readers will like that the activities are enjoyed by all members of the family equally (not only men lighting the menorah or only women cooking, for example).

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute if repetitive, January 7, 2008
Happy mom (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews

I Have A Little Dreidel
I Have A Little Dreidel by Julie Paschkis (Hardcover - October 1, 2006)
Used & New from: $1.53