Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: I Love Charts: The Book
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 10, 2012
This book is great. Obviously because of the charts, but both Jason and Cody's writing in each chapter is great as well. I am really enjoying it quite a bit. I may be a biased fangirl, but it's still awesome.
on May 10, 2012
I read this book in one sitting because I couldn't put it down. It's a witty, honest and eye opening view into the minds of the "I Love Charts" creators as well as a thought provoking assortment of essays which discuss everything from cats (very funny) to relationships (surprisingly insightful). The essays alone were worth the read, the charts illustrating each chapter are like icing on the cake. It's well written and real and worth the time and money to curl up in your favorite chair with a cup of your favorite beverage and engage in something different and fun.
on May 25, 2012
As a fan of the Tumblr "I Love Charts," I knew I had to get this book, and I knew I'd love the charts in it. What I didn't know when I bought it was how much I'd enjoy the essays, too. Jason and Cody can write, and I savored their writing here. The charts serve to punctuate or elucidate some of what they say in the essays, a good match of visual and verbal. Hats off to these guys for taking an entertaining website to new heights in book form!
on May 15, 2012
This is not simply a book about charts. Nor is it some coffee table book. Jason and Cody weave an honest story about a human desire: desire to communicate, desire to love, desire to control, desire to laugh, desire to live. From website to book, highlighted is the effort behind the charts submitted: the people and the culture manifest. Above all this book is vulnerable; honest, open, and critical. It is written by people with opinions of their own, stories of their own, faults of their own, and it is engaging for that reason. Not a chart lover yourself? Read the book. It will make the face of infographics and charts more human.
on May 27, 2012
This book was less about the charts for me (possibly because I've seen almost all of them before, on the original blog) and more about the ramblings of two twenty-something philosophers. They don't take themselves too seriously, so it's a fun read. I mostly bought this book to support them, because I think their blog is great.
on July 3, 2012
Well, what happened was that I forgot my keys at work so I was locked out of the apartment. I managed to get to my roof, though, while the sun was setting against a Manhattan skyline. So imagine, if you will, that you're locked out of your apartment in New York. You could go to a bar and wait for your roommate to open the door. You could check Facebook on the telephone. You could look at the Manhattan skyline as the sun sets and reflect on all the poor decisions you've made in life including the one about forgetting your keys at work.

But you have the I Love Charts book and you opt to read that instead of drinking beer, check what your friends are up to or look at the picturesque view, because the book is that good.

It's not just their website for people who can't afford the internet. It's their website with essays and personal stories that make you reflect on all the poor decisions you've made in life including the excellent decisions you've made in life, too. So yes, it is better than looking at a New York sunset in some ways.

Anyway, the book's a good read and the sports chart's killer.
review image
on May 4, 2012
Reading "I Love Charts: The Book" is a complicated experience. It left me feeling cold and empty not unlike after reading Hitler's Mein Kampf or the Communist Manifesto. But at the same time it made me sexually aroused not unlike reading the Kama Sutra or the Bible. I give credit to the authors. If I were planning to write a book about the French and Indian war from the point of view of the French Indians, I likely would not have chosen to do it in the form of series of innovative charts. However this bold decision pays off with a deep exploration of the human psyche. The creativity on display is remarkable and will constantly have you feeling as though you are hanging over a precipice above a huge chasm overlooking a shadow realm where your soul will be ripped to shreds, leaving naught but a dessicated husk. Many of the charts are very clever. If you are looking for a book that will make you laugh out loud, then cry tears of the darkest despair, then "I Love Charts: The Book" may be exactly what you are looking for.
on July 20, 2012
I am loving my new "I Love Charts" book!

It just arrived and I am already tearing into it. Thanks to Beth at BethKanter.org for recommending it to me. Without her I would not have known about it at all. As a student of analytics who want to start creating some very compelling and useful infographics this is an ideal way to start.

So there you go.

Pick this one up today!
on November 26, 2013
I bought it as I liked the charts on their website. Wish there were more charts, and less writing. No writing, all charts, a larger size book would have been 100% better. Disappointed, as the book could have been so much more.
on October 4, 2012
Love this book. Not only are the charts hilarious and amazing, but there's a bunch of really funny and entertaining essays. Best gift book ever. Anyone say stocking stuffer?