Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: I Love You, Stinky Face
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 12, 2000
Just as Guess How Much I Love You is good for a tear or two, this book is guaranteed to bring out the giggles, at least as far as my kids are concerned. Its message, however, is very serious: parental love is unconditional. The story takes place as a mother is tucking her son into bed. "I love you, my wonderful child," she says. But her son asks, "[W]hat if I were a big, scary ape?. . .what if I were a super smelly skunk?. . .what if I were an alligator with big, sharp teeth that could bite your head off. . .?" Would she love him even then? Not only would she still love him, she assures him, but she would treasure the things that make him unique. If he were an ape, she'd comb his hair and make him a banana birthday cake. If he were a skunk, she would cuddle him and whisper, "I love you, Stinky Face." If he were a meat-eating dinosaur whose claws ripped the sheets every night, she'd feed him lots of meat and mend his sheets every day.
Cyd Moore's illustrations are witty and wonderful! Each picture of the boy with his mother gives a clue to what he's going to become next. On one page he's playing on his bed with his covers draped around his shoulders; on the next page he's "a swamp creature with slimy, smelly seaweed hanging from [his] body." On one page he's letting fireflies loose from a jar; on the next page he's a Martian who eats bugs instead of peanut butter. No matter what type of creature he changes into, the boy still wears his orange, green and yellow striped pajamas. Because Ms. Moore uses the colors of the sky just as sunset is turning to dusk -- pink, purple, blue, green -- this book is a perfect bedtime tale.
on January 1, 2008
This is more a review of Amazon. My children & I absolutely love "Stinky Face" but destroyed our paperback version. I ordered this board book for Christmas, and was completely disappointed that it is NOT the full story. Am I the only one who didn't know this? I am going to re-order the regular paperback version but I had to give feedback because I feel the board book version should advise buyers that it is abridged.
66 comments|148 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 22, 2003
I bought this book because of the funny title. I had no idea what the book was about. I was pleasantly surprised to find such a wonderful story of unconditional love, coupled with beautiful illustrations. The book starts with a mother tucking her son into bed and saying, "I love you my wonderful child." The son then asks if she would still love him if he were a scary swamp monster, a meat eating dinosaur, or a smelly skunk. Always, the mother answers that she would love him no matter what and would always help and take care of him. But it's not written in a sappy way that will make mothers cry (unlike, say, "I Love You Forever"). It manages to convey a touching message without making you go into sugar shock. It's a positive, uplifting story that both parents and young children will enjoy. An excellent addition to your home library.
on July 27, 2000
When our library's storytime was cancelled, the moms decided tohold one ourselves. I judged this book by its beautiful cover (andits hilarious title) and chose it to read to a room full of two- to five-year-old children. We ALL loved it-moms and kids alike. When storytime was over, I checked it out for my daughter, who had a terrible fit when we had to return it. So I bought it ... this is a lovely book about a child with a terrific imagination. I never tire of reading it to my daughter. But do yourselves-and your kids-a big favor: spend the extra [money], and get the hardcover version. (That goes for the excellent companion book, "I Miss You, Stinky Face," too.)
on February 1, 2000
This is a phenomenal book for children of all ages -- the interaction between the mother and child highlights the depths of a child's imagination and the extent of a parent's unconditional love. I read this to my son's first grade class, and the kids were mesmerized -- and what a great bunch of questions they came up with at the end of the reading. I can't recommend this book highly enough. Out of my children's home library of seven-plus shelves of books, this is easily one of our top three favorites.
on October 21, 2000
I bought this book for my 6 year old son, who is an exceptional child. While reading it to him, I felt a lump in my throat that this book was telling him what I couldn't for so many years. He understands now that I always love my Stinky Face, tho he prefers Little Greenie. The "Stinky Face" series is so fabulous, we bought them all. We have had to go back and buy the hardcovers tho as my son wants them read to him over and over. Between this and Where the Wild Things Are, my son knows that he is loved, unconditionally. Wonderful books that fuel the imagination. Buy them all.
on January 14, 2003
I stumbled across this charming board book during a neighborhood-bookstore browse. Our three-year-old grandaughter (currently exhibiting a few diva tendencies along with an outrageously entertaining imagination) was delighted from the first telling and immediately demanded "Do it again!" It's wonderful to hear that mom would always love you ... even if you were stinky face or little greenie! Immediately catapulted to the top of her favorites at Grammie's, along with Snoozers and the little mouse in The Very Noisy Night.
on January 21, 2016
This book is a must have for all little boys and girls! A mother is putting her sweet child to bed and as they go through their nightly routine, the child's imagination runs wild with scenarios in which the love from the mother is questioned. A dinosaur rips up the sheets, a skunky is super stinky and an alligator with sharp teeth needs help brushing it's teeth. In all cases, the mother replies with different ways she would find to love her child. This sweet book is my son's newest favorite and he wants me to read it daily. He is three and first became entranced by Merry Christmas Stinky Face (highly recommend as well) so I bought this book after reading it. My favorite aspect of the book is that the child is referred to as child and not a boy or a girl and the character could easily be a boy or a girl, so the book is fitting for everyone and feels personal to whomever it may be read to...it would be a great addition to any library!
on January 2, 2016
in this book the son asks the mom lots of silly questions about would you still love me if I was something else that is gross, smelly, dangerous etc and she tells him that she'd still love him and what she would do(for example sew his sheets every time he shred them with his sharp teeth). very cute book.
on October 27, 2015
I picked this book up at a local store, started to read, and by the end I was in tears. It's a beautiful children's book about loving and accepting everything unique about our kids, told in a narrative that delights children and adults alike. We'll keep this on our bookshelf for years, and just purchased a copy for my new niece and her parents.