5.0 out of 5 stars My son's favorite book!
Published on June 12, 2000 by K. Bennett

1.0 out of 5 stars CAREFUL the board book is abridged!
Published on January 1, 2008 by Lisa Albert Wallner

5.0 out of 5 stars My son's favorite book!, June 12, 2000
K. Bennett (Rolla, MO USA) - See all my reviews
Just as Guess How Much I Love You is good for a tear or two, this book is guaranteed to bring out the giggles, at least as far as my kids are concerned. Its message, however, is very serious: parental love is unconditional. The story takes place as a mother is tucking her son into bed. "I love you, my wonderful child," she says. But her son asks, "[W]hat if I were a big, scary ape?. . .what if I were a super smelly skunk?. . .what if I were an alligator with big, sharp teeth that could bite your head off. . .?" Would she love him even then? Not only would she still love him, she assures him, but she would treasure the things that make him unique. If he were an ape, she'd comb his hair and make him a banana birthday cake. If he were a skunk, she would cuddle him and whisper, "I love you, Stinky Face." If he were a meat-eating dinosaur whose claws ripped the sheets every night, she'd feed him lots of meat and mend his sheets every day.
Cyd Moore's illustrations are witty and wonderful! Each picture of the boy with his mother gives a clue to what he's going to become next. On one page he's playing on his bed with his covers draped around his shoulders; on the next page he's "a swamp creature with slimy, smelly seaweed hanging from [his] body." On one page he's letting fireflies loose from a jar; on the next page he's a Martian who eats bugs instead of peanut butter. No matter what type of creature he changes into, the boy still wears his orange, green and yellow striped pajamas. Because Ms. Moore uses the colors of the sky just as sunset is turning to dusk -- pink, purple, blue, green -- this book is a perfect bedtime tale.

1.0 out of 5 stars CAREFUL the board book is abridged!, January 1, 2008
This is more a review of Amazon. My children & I absolutely love "Stinky Face" but destroyed our paperback version. I ordered this board book for Christmas, and was completely disappointed that it is NOT the full story. Am I the only one who didn't know this? I am going to re-order the regular paperback version but I had to give feedback because I feel the board book version should advise buyers that it is abridged.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sure to be a favorite in any home!, January 22, 2003
Nikol Le Vine "poet17" (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this book because of the funny title. I had no idea what the book was about. I was pleasantly surprised to find such a wonderful story of unconditional love, coupled with beautiful illustrations. The book starts with a mother tucking her son into bed and saying, "I love you my wonderful child." The son then asks if she would still love him if he were a scary swamp monster, a meat eating dinosaur, or a smelly skunk. Always, the mother answers that she would love him no matter what and would always help and take care of him. But it's not written in a sappy way that will make mothers cry (unlike, say, "I Love You Forever"). It manages to convey a touching message without making you go into sugar shock. It's a positive, uplifting story that both parents and young children will enjoy. An excellent addition to your home library.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love You, "I Love You, Stinky Face"!, July 27, 2000
By A Customer
When our library's storytime was cancelled, the moms decided tohold one ourselves. I judged this book by its beautiful cover (andits hilarious title) and chose it to read to a room full of two- to five-year-old children. We ALL loved it-moms and kids alike. When storytime was over, I checked it out for my daughter, who had a terrible fit when we had to return it. So I bought it ... this is a lovely book about a child with a terrific imagination. I never tire of reading it to my daughter. But do yourselves-and your kids-a big favor: spend the extra [money], and get the hardcover version. (That goes for the excellent companion book, "I Miss You, Stinky Face," too.)

5.0 out of 5 stars An imaginative and reassuring book about love, February 1, 2000
By A Customer
This is a phenomenal book for children of all ages -- the interaction between the mother and child highlights the depths of a child's imagination and the extent of a parent's unconditional love. I read this to my son's first grade class, and the kids were mesmerized -- and what a great bunch of questions they came up with at the end of the reading. I can't recommend this book highly enough. Out of my children's home library of seven-plus shelves of books, this is easily one of our top three favorites.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toddler's delight!, January 14, 2003
I stumbled across this charming board book during a neighborhood-bookstore browse. Our three-year-old grandaughter (currently exhibiting a few diva tendencies along with an outrageously entertaining imagination) was delighted from the first telling and immediately demanded "Do it again!" It's wonderful to hear that mom would always love you ... even if you were stinky face or little greenie! Immediately catapulted to the top of her favorites at Grammie's, along with Snoozers and the little mouse in The Very Noisy Night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, October 21, 2000
Nancy M. Dickinson (Wilmington, OH USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my 6 year old son, who is an exceptional child. While reading it to him, I felt a lump in my throat that this book was telling him what I couldn't for so many years. He understands now that I always love my Stinky Face, tho he prefers Little Greenie. The "Stinky Face" series is so fabulous, we bought them all. We have had to go back and buy the hardcovers tho as my son wants them read to him over and over. Between this and Where the Wild Things Are, my son knows that he is loved, unconditionally. Wonderful books that fuel the imagination. Buy them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for all ages, September 28, 2003
"j-l-cholloman" (Fayetteville, NC USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my son when he was barely a year old. It was the first book he recognized and would bring it to me, saying "Mama, mama!" He called me "Mommy," but his book was "mama." This was one of the books that sparked his love for reading. We have used the board book so much it is falling apart! I have hidden this book from him so he won't finish tearing it apart before I can get another one, but he still brings me books to read, demanding "book!" as he puts it in my hand and turns to the first page. I will be getting a new copy for him and our new baby coming next year to enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars She cried when we took it back to the Library!, August 20, 2003
"robnjeannie" (Burlington, NC United States) - See all my reviews
I LOVE THIS BOOK. I am a mother of 4 and all my children love it. Especially my 5 yr old son, 2 & 3 yr old daughters, who cried when I took it back to the library after we had checked it out for several weeks and read it approx 30 times. For days after that, at bedtime, my 3 yr old would whisper in my ear "I love you Stinky Face" (just as I did when I would read it to them). It touched my heart and I immediately got online and ordered it, to have and to hold and to KEEP!! We LOVE IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and Giggly, August 3, 2004
L. Chambers (New Orleans, LA) - See all my reviews
My sister got this for my son for Christmas and I instantly fell in love with it. Although, my son is still too young to really appreciate it, her three year old laughed aloud when I read it to him. It really emphasizes the unconditional love we have for our children.

I Love You, Stinky Face
I Love You, Stinky Face by Cyd Moore (Paperback - October 1, 2003)
$6.99 $4.15