4.0 out of 5 stars Great Horror/Comedy Hybrid
This movie has been getting good press in mags like "Fangoria" and "Rue Morgue." It can be rented at Blockbuster as one of their exclusives and is scheduled for a street release at the end of March. It is a low budget project, but one that's produced with a lot of class, wit, energy and a respect for the genre.

It involves a couple of low-life, but likable...
Published on January 3, 2010 by David Alianiello

3.0 out of 5 stars Should have been better
Published on April 16, 2010 by Dart Wilson

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Horror/Comedy Hybrid, January 3, 2010
This review is from: I Sell the Dead (DVD)

It involves a couple of low-life, but likable Burke and Hare-type grave robbers named Grimes and Blake, and their misadventures supplying fresh corpses for a local doctor/mortician (Angus Scrimm). They unearth the usual rotten and not-so-rotten corpses, vampires, zombies and even an extraterrestrial (!), but their most dangerous adventure comes in the form of a sick, violent family of grave robbers who don't appreciate the competition: The House of Murphy. The daughter, who was burned beyond recognition, wears a mask identical to the burned daughter in the classic French film "Les Yeux sans Visage" ("Eyes Without a Face")-great touch! The son grinds up his victims' bones and uses the bone dust for snuff.

Overall, a fun, tongue-in-cheek movie with laughs and thrills that belies its low budget with a great script, excellent actors and above-average production values. Special features include several IFC trailers, including "I Sell the Dead." I would suggest using the subtitle feature as the accents are thick in some places. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant surprise, January 2, 2010
pc6 "pc6" (Durham, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Sell the Dead (DVD)
I noticed this at my local Blockbuster. Brought it home without any real expectations, and was really very pleasantly surprised.
The movie revolves around Arthur Blake, a graverobber who is about to be executed, and Ron Perlman, the monk who is interviewing Blake before his execution. Perlman wants to know how Blake got started in graverobbing, what his career was like, and what happened to Blake's worst rival. Blakes' tale involves the dead, vampires, zombies, and aliens. It is somewhat bloody, but laced with humor. Worth watching!

4.0 out of 5 stars I Sell The Dead, April 11, 2010
This review is from: I Sell the Dead (DVD)
A pair of grave robbers strike gold when they discover a wealth of undead corpses (including zombies, vampires, and other ghouls) buried in the local cemetery, bodies that earn them a fine reward from the seedy local doctors working under the guise of science. Their framed story is retold by Arthur Blake, the younger of the two thieves, who relays their adventures to a priest while awaiting the guillotine. Glenn McQuaid similarly strikes gold with this off-beat but highly original Horror Comedy, offering the same stunning cinematography and art design as the Hammer productions with a classic Gothic aesthetic. Fessenden and Monaghan make for a charmingly clever pair of down on their luck grave robbers, and they are joined by an equally talented and enjoyable cast of miscreants including the great Ron Perlman as the wayward priest. The production and design of the film could not have been improved, but I SELL THE DEAD falls just short of becoming a modern classic due to the uneven pacing brought on by its structure and format. As Blake begins each new tale, a great amount of time is spent setting up each new scenario and introducing new characters, which inevitably undermines the action, suspense, and horror. The fleshed out characters and plot are both appreciated, but not at the cost of a rushed payoff for each of the vignettes. McQuaid displays a tremendous amount of potential in this, his second film, and hopefully the open ending will allow for an even stronger sequel with the same sharp scripting and humor.

-Carl Manes
I Like Horror Movies

5.0 out of 5 stars Total fun!, March 22, 2010
This review is from: I Sell the Dead (DVD)
I picked this up a few months ago thru amazon/ca (Canadian branch -you can get lots of stuff faster than the states release times)and I dearly, dearly LOVE this film! Very well done period piece from the old grave robber era storyline and just plain fun, quirky, good snarky humor, and utterly well acted. Good high production value film too! Not much more I can add to some of the very detailed reviews - other that to say it is WELL worth buying it and watching over and over. This one is a keeper and you'll pull it down over the years and watch it again! I've already re-played it about 8 times thus far. Hmmmmmm - think I'll watch it again tonight!

3.0 out of 5 stars Should have been better, April 16, 2010
I Sell the Dead seemed like it was going to be a refreshing piece of horror comedy. Unfortunately it was not terribly funny. I chuckled here and there but nothing was really funny in the film, which is a shame because the movie really relied on being funny. Nothing too original about the story and the twists were fairly obvious. The biggest disappointment was the heavy reliance on CGI backgrounds. Behind the fog machines and actors were terrible backgrounds that looked more like screensavers. I was hoping for a more moody, atmospheric tale, and instead I got poorly rendered backgrounds. I was disappointed but the film was just okay. Good enough for one viewing, but nothing more.

2.0 out of 5 stars This movie is right up my alley, but..., April 18, 2010
James Seger (The Woodlands, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Sell the Dead (DVD)
Great cast, great idea and stylish.... but it was missing something. It was neat to look at, but I never really connected to it.

There were a whole lot of good ideas, but not enough was done with them. The movie would have been better if it were longer to expand on the ideas or more focused. Most of Arthur's apprenticeship could have been cut for instance.

The horror wasn't particularly scary and the humor snicker worthy at best. Combined with the slow pacing, it's just too many strikes against the movie. It's a shame, because this movie has the cast and ingredients to be a genuine cult classic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Like Burke and Hare--But With a Twist, April 8, 2010
Karen Shaub "Nickname: Queen B" (the inner reaches of the outer limits) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Sell the Dead (DVD)
I have to admit that lately I've been plagued by feelings of jealousy because I should have been the one who turned everybody on to flix like LO, etc. I mean it's right there in my screen name fer chrissake--QUEENB--HELLO!! I've spent countless hours wading through crap most people wouldn't watch without protective eye-gear in the hopes of unearthing an obscure gem, and yet others stumble over flix that by all rights should be mine--do you hear me? MINE!!! (sound of throat being cleared) Anyhow, I think I finally latched onto a flick that no one else has seen, and of course there's already a review of it. Dozens of reviews. Damn. Why do I bother? Am I the last person to hear about this flick or what? On the off-hand chance that there is someone else who hasn't seen I SELL THE DEAD yet, I will proceed.

The trouble is that I don't want to ruin any of the joy of discovery for you guys like the other review did. In fact I actually scrapped 2 titles because I felt they gave away too much, so how to proceed is a bit of a problem. I SELL THE DEAD ( love that title) is a period piece and it begins with the execution of a man via guillotine and then whisks us off to a dank prison cell where cleric Francis Duffy (Ron Perlman with the worst Irish brogue every recorded on film) questions Arthur Blake who is to be executed himself in 5 hours. It seems Blake (Dominic Monaghan) and his partner Willie Grimes (Larry Fesseden) were grave robbers--but that's not the crime for which they are bring punished. They were convicted of murder. Blake insists that someone has framed them by leaving a very obvious trail of severed body parts leading right to their respective doorsteps, a point that became mute for Willie since he was the man executed at the film's beginning. The story unfolds in flashbacks as Blake tells Duffy how as a young boy he first became involved with Grimes and of their demanding arrangement with Dr. Quint (Angus Scrimm) who presses them for more and more corpses, pays them nothing, and threatens them with discovery if they don't comply. One night they find themselves digging up a most unusual corpse that's been buried far from town and outside the graveyard. That one corpse not only solves their problem with Dr. Quint it opens up a whole new world for them, and for the viewer. This is where things start to get wonderfully strange!

But the tales the cleric is most interested in however are those related to a rival gang of grave robbers called the House of Murphy, a ruthless bunch led by Cornelius Murphy. To illustrate how nasty Cornelius is Blake tells a story in flashback about how Cornelius's mother gave him a mechanical toy--a wind-up bird in a cage that fluttered it's wings and sang. The boy loved it and sat on the floor watching it for hours. His father stomped on it with his boot. His mother gave him a little chick which the boy loved dearly and played with on the floor and his father stomped on it with his boot. His mother gave him a white bunny-- well, let's just say that Cornelius was a couple of steps ahead of Dad on this one.

There's a lot more to the story of course, and that's the part you're going to have to see for yourselves because I'm not going to tell you. Some say that the plot was never going anywhere but I don't think that's true at all. It just went there somewhat circuitously. Audiences are lazy and are accustomed to having everything laid out for them in a nice neat pattern; beginning, middle, end. We seem to demand an obvious conflict at the beginning followed by an obvious resolution at the end. What I think writer/director Glenn McQuaid has down is given us a clever, witty, inventive story that in it's own totally impossible way is a little more like real life--it wanders around and then suddenly the protagonist finds out there's been a conflict. Surprise. (Actually we ARE tipped off about it the coming conflict in advance when Blake insists he and Grimes were framed, because they were. In other words, the film IS going somewhere it's just doing it in a rather subtle manner.) But no matter what you think of the plotline I can almost guarantee that you are going to have some fun with this film provided you enjoy the British sense of humor and don't suffer from ADD because it does have somewhat of a leisurely pace about it for the first act. The acting (aside from Perlman's accent) is excellent, with Monaghan turning in an especially good performance as Blake. The writing and direction are top notch and the cinematography won a well deserved award at SLAMDANCE. Surprisingly there's very little in the way of violence of actual bloodshed but there's a ton of entertainment value for anyone who's looking for something they haven't seen a thousand times before.

HYPE VALUE: non-existent, deserves an audience

5.0 out of 5 stars clever,outside the box!, February 8, 2010
This review is from: I Sell the Dead (DVD)
This is one of the 3 best zombie flicks i have seen this year! The other 2 being Zombieland and Dead snow.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good movie by any stretch, February 17, 2011
William P. Powers (Escondido, California USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Sell the Dead (DVD)
I understand this was a low(er) budget movie and... this is important... I greatly admire and like the two leads, Dom and Ron, but how on earth can anyone see past the wooden acting?!? The confession, especially, was painful to watch. It looked like Don and Ron were mailing their lines in... or had just been given them the night before and were doing their best with no prep work. This was one god-aweful movie... and I wanted it not to be. Over the course of three tries I made it almost 85% of the way through the movie, but just couldn't push through to the end. It was that bad. Who wants my copy? You can have it for free.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film, February 25, 2010
This review is from: I Sell the Dead (DVD)
I also received my copy from BlockBuster. I found this to be very well written and the acting was also very good. My question is why I and others have seen this weeks ago and it doesn't come out according to Amazon until March? I do not understand, oh well.

I Sell the Dead
I Sell the Dead by Glenn McQuaid (DVD - 2010)
$19.98 $8.00