Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on November 26, 2010
The worst comments I see with regards to this movie come from both sides of the remake debate. Some argue that it should never have been remade because they are fans of the original. Other argue that it shouldn't be remade because of the concept.

If the concept offends you, pick up your opinions, there's the door - now leave! Don't turn around, just go! I've had enough of the 'it's bad because it's a rape movie' bull. If it's not your cup of tea, so be it! I probably feel as strongly against 'Sex & The City' but you don't see me shooting those fans down because of taste!

Okay, am I good to continue now?

So you're either a fan of the original, new to this movie, or just interested.

Good!

If you're a fan of the original, then I honestly can't tell if you'll like this movie. I HATED the original. I felt it had a very good premise that was poorly executed and in the end just came across as offensive (by the way, I'm female). I thought the concept was good but the manner in which the protagonist went about her revenge was stupid! If a woman has been raped, the very last thing she'd ever be comfortable doing is stripping off in front of the very men who raped her, no matter what her end objective may be! At this point the original made me angry. There's only so much believability I'm willing to sacrifice when I watch a movie - and I'd had enough.

So when I heard this movie was being remade, I was actually quite intrigued. Again, I believed the premise was a good one and I was hoping a new writer and director could do it justice.

They sure did, and some!

The rape scene is brutal and it is hard to watch. However, at the same time, it's not as bad as some make it out to be. I felt it was a perfect balance. It showed enough, without going too far that I felt too uncomfortable to watch any more. There's enough there to shock you and have you empathize with Jennifer when she starts her revenge. It is definitely not as bad as 'Irreversible', a movie I, and many others in the same movie theater, ended up walking out of. When I saw this movie, no one walked out!

I also felt that this movie was never titillating. Nudity is actually kept to a minimum and the only time we see Jennifer completely naked is following her rape where she is in an almost catatonic state, just trying to get away. You'd have to be the sickest of the sick to see anything but the character's fear, humiliation and determination in this scene.

I found the portrayal of the characters to be much more believable this time and the mentally challenged character, Matthew was a million times better than the original. They ditched the dorky glasses (no missing lenses in this film at least) and decided to get someone who could actually act instead! Matthew is played with such childish vulnerability that you find yourself conflicted. He does rape Jennifer, but it was peer pressure and afterwards he feels so guilty that he's effectively torturing himself without Jennifer's help...but, he STILL raped her! It's a tough one!

A great addition to this film is the sheriff. At risk of spoiling the movie, I'll leave it at that but his involvement in this new version was a fantastic move.

When Jennifer's revenge comes into play, you could find yourself often wondering if she's going too far. I never found myself empathizing with the rapists (other than Matthew, to a degree) but I often just wanted her to get it over with already. That enough was enough. It was nice to see such extremes on both sides, to see what people are really capable of. What do the rapists REALLY deserve? How far would YOU go? No one could possibly know unless directly in Jennifer's shoes, so even if you find yourself questioning the extreme nature of her actions, you'll find yourself equally stepping back and thinking - well this is her party, who am I to question how extreme she should be?

The best feature of this movie, though, is that it's a smart movie! There's some nice symbolism in there and it's quite clever the way it plays out. What makes it even better, though, is that you don't have to get any of this to 'get' the movie. It was like an added bonus! In the same way adults watch 'The Simpsons' and get the adult humor, the children who don't get those jokes don't dislike the show any less - they just don't get the whole picture. I don't want to spoil the movie so I won't go into details but the final death was sheer genius. The reversal of roles determining who's the one pulling the strings now! Loved it!

When you hear the work that went into this independent movie and the amount of pride the people involved have in the outcome, it's only fair that you at least give it a chance. I think a lot of people would be pleasantly surprised. The reviews on here are not reminiscent of the reviews out there on the internet, where there's a lot of well placed praise for this movie. Amongst its target audience and horror fans, this movie delivers.

Unfortunately it had a limited release, it didn't even show in the movie theaters where I live (I was lucky enough to visit LA during its run there) but I'm looking forward to the DVD release so my friends can finally see it!
8686 comments|482 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon March 30, 2011
You're a smart lady...an author. You want some peace and quiet to work on your next book, so you rent a cabin in the deep woods to get some work done. The cabin is beautiful. Peaceful. You make some progress on your book. You get a little rest and relaxation lounging by the lake with a glass of wine, smoke a little doobie, and everything is a stone groove....initially. Then it gets really, really bad for you.

And for the viewer it gets hard to watch. Not since Wolf Creek and more recently the remake of Last House on the Left have I squirmed in my seat so much during some of the horrors that ensue.

The movie is about 30 minutes of set up, 30 minutes of unspeakable acts on this poor woman, and 30 minutes of what happens when a lady that's been wronged goes Hostel on her attackers. Unlike 2009's Last House on the Left, there's a high degree of "that could never happen" in I Spit on Your Grave. Aside from the incredibly obvious "you don't walk into that spooky situation, you run from it," there are some blatant story inconsistencies. But the most unbelievable part is after our heroine is brutalized and survives, what she chooses to do in between the time of her ordeal and when she exacts her revenge.

BUT...it was all well-acted and every acted scene was very real. Uncomfortably so to the point of where I felt compelled to (but didn't) either fast forward through some of the attack on the girl or bust through my TV screen with an M16 and start blasting the bad guys. Turns out the bad guys might have preferred the M16 because this girl has almost certainly been through Jigsaw's school of what you do to teach a bad guy a lesson!

I Spit 0n Your Grave is straight up "watch this awful rape; now watch this violent revenge"...but it was as effective as it was affective. I'm pretty liberal with what I let my kids watch today, but this remake of 1978's I Spit on Your Grave is absolutely not one I'd be so liberal with. This movie earned its R...or NR. Whether you want to or not, some of the images in this film will stay with you for a few days after you see it.

Bottom line....

What I expected but hoped it wasn't: a gory, slasher, torture movie.

What I actually got: a well-acted, albeit violent, horror/revenge movie.
This remake of I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE surprised me. It's actually better than the original! Sarah Butler is outstanding as the pivotal victim-turned-avenger. She is more believable and fierce than her predecessor. Though I was never sympathetic toward her attackers, their various demises did make me wince a couple of times, especially the "garden sheers" and "shotgun" scenes! Yikes! I still despise rape scenes, but at least they're more condensed in this version. As with the reboot of LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT, ISOYG 2010 is a fantastic update, and worthy of several viewings...
With the resurgence of exploitation films, we've really brought some unpleasantly vicious movies into the mainstream. Some are good, some are not--just like any genre--but what is fascinating to me is how commonplace they now seem. When I was growing up, pictures like the original "I Spit On Your Grave," "Faces of Death" and "Last House on the Left" were considered vile films and they had to be discovered. A largely underground, low budget, and independent film community had to support these controversial, malicious films. In many ways, they represented a rebellion against conventional entertainment. However, by today's standards these films, while certainly grim, are relatively subdued compared to the graphic torture, violence and gore that delight audiences at the local mall.

Designed to provoke audiences, one thing is certain--few people will be ambivalent about the new incarnation of "I Spit On Your Grave." I know people who think it's terrific AND I know people who think that it is repellant. Just the latest example of the growing market I like to refer to as "torture cinema," ISOYG will have very few viewers straddling the middle ground. While the original film played to the time it was released--there was almost a female empowerment message in the retribution scenario--this new version eschews a specific societal context. Much more gore oriented than its predecessor, it feels distinctly less real. That is either good or bad depending on your vantage point. The amateurish quality of the original lends it a gritty realism that actually works in the film's favor. Combined with Camille Keaton's surprisingly effective performance, the film had the flavor of something that could actually happen. The new version is decidedly more elaborate and the revenge conceptions are more over-the-top. The enjoyment value, thus, is determined by whether graphic brutality qualifies as entertainment for you.

I haven't said much about the film's plot. I think most people know what happens. A young woman is sexually assaulted by a group of men, brutalized, and left for dead. She reemerges with vengeance on her mind--and the men will rue the day they met her. Sarah Butler as the victim in question has some nice moments, but exists largely to service the plot. For me, she lacked the genuineness of Keaton. The men are slightly more developed in this new vision. While barely more than caricatures in either film, they have more shading here--and the mentally challenged character is conceptualized more fully in this edition. The film remains unrepentantly bleak and disturbing and pushes buttons for the sake of pushing buttons. There is no grand meaning to be had--but, quite frankly, I don't think that's why anyone would be watching in the first place.

Mind you, I'm not claiming either version of "I Spit On Your Grave" is a great movie. I do, however, believe that the original was more relevant in relationship to its time period. But this new film is made with technical prowess and visual flair (however unpleasant). Some may claim these films as a feminist treatise, and some as vile female degradation. In truth, they are actually a bit of both--but I don't think that they necessarily merit a serious philosophical discussion. Either way, this film was meant to assault your senses--and that it does! On it's own merits, it succeeds at what it set out to do. If you like gore, you may well like this. If you don't, by all means, stay far far away! KGHarris, 2/11.
22 comments|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 5, 2013
I was extremely skeptical to watch this at first. I really liked the original and thought that this would be a horrible remake. Boy was I wrong.

This version is bloodier and gorier than the original by a mile. The two major differences between the remake and the original are (1) An extra man and (2) The revenge murders. The original movie had a tagline of "This woman has just cut, chopped, broken and burned five men beyond recognition." This was a mistake as there were only four men in that movie. The remake adds that 5th man. For those who haven't seen it, I won't spoil who it is.

The revenge murders Jennifer commits are completely different and much more gruesome. I was worried they would be too over-the-top with them. And while they were certainly extreme in the brutality and torture, they were absolutely fitting. She gives each man the revenge they deserved based on what they did to her.

The only thing I would have liked to have seen is where/how she gets out of the water she falls into. It would have been good to see that - just for the sake of plausibility. Still, a great revenge movie and (dare I say it) superior to the original.
VINE VOICEon February 15, 2011
Sexy Jennifer Hill (Sarah Butler) is your typical city writer spending the weekend in the countryside in the woods, it seems peaceful until 5 rednecks like mentally challenged Matthew (Chad Lindberg), Stanley (Daniel Franzese), Andy (Rodney Eastman) and Stoch (Andrew Howard) brutally rape her and leave her for dead. However she is alive but she is very angry and now must find, torture and kill the pigs that did this to her.

Surprisingly good remake of the infamous 1978 horror exploitation revenge classic "I Spit on Your Grave", director Steven Monroe teams up with the original director Meir Zarchi on a risky kind of remake that does a fresh new spin on the original. I like how they didn't dumb it down and made it unrated and uncut for theaters as they made a brutal and ghastly film similar to the original but with more creative gory ways to kill the cretins especially with an acid bath. One of the better genre remakes to come in recent years besides Dawn of the Dead, The Hills Have Eyes, Last House on The Left, Halloween, Let Me In, The Ring, Toolbox Murders, 2001 Maniacs, Wizard of Gore and Piranha 3D.

This Blu-Ray contains the one and only unrated cut which it was meant to be seen as there is flawless picture and awesome sound to go with it and nice extras like featurette, deleted scenes, trailers and radio spot.
on September 1, 2011
"I Spit On Your Grave" is the ultimate in revenge horror. I don't want to give anything away but I do want to articulate that it had some really creative scenes. The first 50-60 minutes includes some very vile and graphic depictions of degradation which was disturbing especially for a first time viewer because you had no idea what was going on. But you will be rooting for the main protagonist as the movie progresses. Sarah Butler gave an utterly believable performance because her emotions ran the gamut of a to z. And I am quite certain she would have been nominated for the AA if the academy didn't look the other way as far as horror is concerned. Sometimes justice serves those that serve themselves, though.
on December 7, 2011
This film doesn't have the impact of the original, but it probably scores a little bit higher on the entertainment factor. Butler looks even better than Camile Keaton from the original, although the much remembered castration scene from the original still packs more of a punch than the scene from the remake. The films replay value is pretty good, but it doesn't really have that grindhouse type feel that I like. The film should've had a dirtier type feel to it, and it would've been better with that 70s or 80s type feel that is present in the original and other films like FRIDAY THE 13th, MY BLOODY VALENTINE, MARDI GRAS MASSACRE, HUMONGOUS, NIGHT OF THE DEMON, THE BURNING and all those other 70s and 80s exploitation films. It's got some problems and it could've been better, but it's still a cool movie and it's among the best of the horror remakes. This film, which has a more modern and polished film style, is designed to appeal more to mainstream audiences. At the same time, it has enough exploitation elements to appeal to fans of 70s and 80s exploitation. There's full nudity in the film, but the rape scenes aren't as impactful or as disturbing as the ones in the original; I'm not saying they have no impact. I'm just saying that I don't think they're comparable to the scenes in the original film. This is the same for the violence. Although at times very graphic, the violence doesn't quite pack the punch of the first film; but these scenes still have impact. If you want something really fast paced, you might be disappointed; The movie moves decently, but it isn't fast paced. The movie does concentrate on character development and story; it isn't all exploitation from beginning to end. If you want something that's overloaded with gore, you might also be disappointed; it's nasty and gory at times, but it isn't filled with blood from beginning to end.

The DVD quality is very good.
on September 15, 2015
I HAD TO BUY and another for one I know will share. WOW in a word. So well done and yet, very hard to find and thank you Amazon for carrying it. I had not seen other versions but when I saw there were, I felt I had to buy the one I saw on TV, ONE TIME and never could find again. Oh my, may well be "chick flick" revenge, but darned so well done and I didn't feel she was incapable of those things she did as revenge-so needed as none would ever harm another woman. My kind of movie where good prevails against such evil. Love this version, won't buy other's now after reading reviews, nope this is as close to perfect as you get.
on April 15, 2011
First off, I'm not going to comment on whether this movie should or shouldn't have been made, or whether it was inappropriate, blah blah blah. If you want to go that route, then you better have the same opinion of Deliverance. If you don't like the idea of it, DO NOT WATCH IT! It was soooo disturbingly graphic in the rape scene that I almost threw up. Unfortunately, it is hard to shock people these days, but this will definitely shock the average person. All controversies aside, this movie was a B grade horror movie with a taste of Deliverance mixed into the Saw movies. It keeps you on the edge of your seat and the revenge is almost as foul as the actions that set off the main character. Do I think this is realistic, no. This is a typical B to C grade thriller with a lot of controversy surrounding it.