Customer Discussions > Valleys Of Neptune forum

I hate classic Rock

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 81 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 16, 2010 3:27:53 PM PST
M. Otto says:
I may be the only one, but seriously..nothing annoys me more than that period of music from 1967-1978. Jimi and Jimmy always sounded like they played with busted fingers, Keith Moon did WAY too many drum fills, and I always hated Robert Plant's yelping (like Whole Lotta Love). Plus every time you turn on a classic rock radio station, how many times do we have to hear the same 4 or 5 songs in an hour? Lastly, the fans...what annoys me about them is that they are convinced that NOTHING else is worth listening to and everything that isn't classic rock is immediately crap.

Posted on Feb 16, 2010 7:55:19 PM PST
D. Conley says:
Who was listening to Zeppelin in '67? Their first record wasn't released until '69! I do totally agree about Plant's "yelping"-it could get annoying. But Hendrix and Page sounding like they "played with busted fingers"? Wow. Think I'll go break some fingers if it'll make me sound like Jimi!
Moon did "too many drum fills"? What standard are we judging THAT by?

As a person who grew up on this stuff (born in '52), I naturally have a soft spot for the music of the late 60's. But there was a lot of crap recorded back then just as there is now. It wasn't ALL "classic". There's good stuff coming out today as well along WITH the crap.

I also agree that classic rock stations do too much repetition. Do what I do...change the station or turn it off. My radio has buttons for that.

Okay...I'm off to find a hammer to work on those fingers... :)

Posted on Feb 17, 2010 8:26:13 AM PST
i think i detect some one who wasnt there at the time and doesnt yet know what is good from bad... classic rock isnt played on radio stations-- you have to dig deeper-- i can tell the time by the three songs they play on the classic rock station here - at 9 and 12 and 3 they play one of three songs everyday- freebird, stairway to heaven, and bohemian rhapsody-- they will however change the order. led zeppelin wasnt all that famous until the 70s and by that time jimi hendrix was dead. i would like to know what music that you consider better than the entire decade of the 60s-- to me the only one that comes close is the 1940s-- except for few exceptions - music died in 1974.

Posted on Feb 18, 2010 4:43:14 AM PST
L. Irish says:
Isn't it nice that we all have opinions? I agree with some of the previous posters, and of course, disagree with others.
I saw Hendrix three times, the Who and Cream's first American shows, etc. etc.
I totally agree, a lot of crap was put out then as now. There is also some wonderful music that withstands the test of time, stands on it's own, and survives the assault/insult of modern classic rock radio marketing.
I was a guitar player who was blown away by Hendrix (for example, I'm STILL not over the Axis Bold as Love tour show as seen from the balcony of Hunter College in NYC, Jimi was damn near perfect that night.).
I'm still playing some of his stuff, and still working out how he played it... I don't really copy him, but I do JUSTICE to the songs and their writer. Busted fingers... try it yourself and see.
In my band, I still play a little Zepplin... yelping was a Plant thing that he re-interpreted from numerous blues artists... as did many of the British musicians of that era (and before, in the early 60's). No radio station (or classic rock fans stuck there) will ruin my relationship with music from that era (1967-to-whatever).
I don't the music ever dies... there's always some new (newish, newer) group doing something I really like.
How about Linkin Park at the next Superbowl Half-Time Show!
The last one with The Who really turned my stomach... Roger Daltrey looking kind of like a middle-aged woman and ducking many of the high vocal lines, and Pete T. pretending to "bowl", missing chords and the backup musicians playing many of his parts!!! He really was good live about 40 years ago! It's nice to see America honor an aging pedophile fraud in this manner. Ugh!!

Posted on Feb 18, 2010 11:49:52 AM PST
So, like, ummm, don't listen?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2010 6:37:48 AM PST
Seriously, you are the only one. Get over it!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2010 8:52:08 AM PST
M. Otto says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2010 9:02:48 AM PST
M. Otto says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2010 9:33:27 AM PST
M. Otto says:
No I wasn't there, thank God. Everyone knows I hate hippies with a burning passion. I mean this as respectfully as possible, but you sound just like a typical classic rock listener by saying 'music died in 1974'. There's been so much music worth checking out and rocking out to since then, and you all seem to be missing 30 and 40 years of it listening to the same albums over and over again. As for digging? My JOB is digging for music. Literally. I find it absolutely incredible that classic rock fans choose to not acknowledge there's been some great stuff since the 70's, when its been sitting there all this time easily found. I'm willing to bet the problem CR fans have with newer music is that its not necessarily blues based and that there isn't a Les Paul and Marshall stack on the album covers to clearly indicate "were gonna rock out" or some similar motif. It's a terrible (and incompetent) way to discount all the good stuff going on now, or in the last 30 or 40 years beyond classic rock.

Posted on Feb 21, 2010 10:34:23 AM PST
Wolfhound says:
Hate; something that is not in short supply in this country the U.S.of A.,and here comes another hate thread. )-:|....

Posted on Feb 21, 2010 11:40:23 AM PST
M. Pestonji says:
There's always this one guy in a group of people who just hated anything that the Beatles did even prior to listening to them. This is one those people. Useless trying to make a point.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2010 5:37:28 AM PST
You have to be a young american idol fan to make such a 'stupid' statement as this....!!! All in all,,You just had to have been there!!!!

Posted on Feb 22, 2010 7:11:12 AM PST
Like Mick & the boys said back in the '70's...."I KNOW IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N ROLL, BUT I LIKE IT!".......Yes I do!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2010 5:44:12 PM PST
unfortunately you are right about the amount of hate in America. It's so easy to close your mind, stamp your feet, call names and point fingers.

Posted on Feb 23, 2010 2:33:50 PM PST
I'm only 24 and most of what I listen to would probably have to be classified as classic rock, but before I was exposed to that music I grew up with Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, The Smashing Pumpkins, Metallica, Pearl Jam, etc. And I still listen to that now as well, but I don't discriminate based on the genre or when it was created. I can agree with you that there's some music that I just don't like, but there's no need for to bash others for liking it.

I'm not sure why you would throw all classic rock fans into one group since classic rock has so many sub categories and spans up until the mid-80's (anything classic is considered so if it's at least 25 years old). You claim that everyone who likes CR hates new music. I like classic rock, but I don't hate new music at all so what you're saying makes no sense.

If it's good, I'll listen to it. That includes Robert Johnson from the 30's and Fleet Foxes from the 2000's.

If I may, what is it that you like listening to?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2010 3:03:32 PM PST
richard haag says:
I have a novel idea about all this - maybe if you were in your teens or 20s in the sixties, you liked that music; then, if you were in your teens or 20s in the 70s, you liked that music; and so forth and so on. Isn't that novel? One last thought - how can anyone "hate" music, any style/genre/decade/classification? Wouldn't it be easier to say I like a certain type more than another? Try it, you may like it

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2010 3:22:56 PM PST
Thomas Toal says:
do me a favor m. otto or whatever ur name is keep ur negative opinions to your damn self!!! yes everyone has a right to his or her own opinion. but your just a ball breaker. you don't care about this subject so shut up sir or madam!!!!

peace

Posted on Feb 23, 2010 3:24:07 PM PST
Thomas Toal says:
guys don't listen to this M OTTO guy lol he obviously knows nothing about good music. he just wants to start trouble cuz he probably can't get any at home lol. Don't mind this person at all. Peace guys!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2010 3:25:03 PM PST
Thomas Toal says:
i agree with u mr bowman. totally :)

Posted on Feb 23, 2010 4:27:18 PM PST
then don't listen! you are doing no favors.

Posted on Feb 24, 2010 8:00:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 24, 2010 8:01:16 PM PST
JA says:
OK two things.
A) I don't know why you're starting this discussion on a CD by a CLASSIC ROCK ARTIST. You're clearly looking for attention. This belongs in the general music forum.
B) I resent the statement that Classic Rock fans will not accept anything newer. I've been listening to classic rock since I was 10, which was only 8 years ago, so clearly they did something right if a 10 year old in 2001 is listening to music made 30-40 years earlier. HOWEVER, there are many newer bands that I think are great, such as Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Wolfmother, Kings of Leon etc. The problem I have with newer music is that the mainstream stuff they play on the radio sounds so FAKE (not gonna lie, Nickelback makes me wanna puke, don't care if you listen to them). It lacks the passion I find in classic rock, since it was from a time before everything was digital (I'm a drummer, no one gets THAT consistent of a snare sound naturally).
Now I have no idea what music you listen to, but whatever it is, that's cool, you're totally allowed to have your opinion. But keep in mind that if you're listening to newer stuff from rock, it's most likely influenced by Classic Rock. Also, no-one is criticizing you for listening to whatever you listen to, no need to criticize Classic Rock fans.
All this aside, anyone else excited for the new Hendrix CD? I know I am :)

Posted on Feb 26, 2010 8:19:13 AM PST
Yeah, looking forward to the new Hendrix. I was born in 53', so I am a child of that era. Like a former poster noted, we are all more or less infatuated with the music that was playing when we first became musically aware. Simple as that. M. Otto should realize that the music he likes ( sadly he never made this known)is influenced by the music of the past, as all modern music is. I like Zep and most bands of the CR era, but my favorite band at this time is Porcupine Tree, who are influenced by "classic rock". Life is way too short to quibble over whos music is best. It's all subjective isn't it?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2010 9:19:47 AM PST
richard haag says:
A very astute observation. I concur implicitly, although I was born eons ahead of you, 1940 to be exact. Thanks for your input.

Posted on Feb 28, 2010 7:20:56 PM PST
Every era has its great music. '67 - '78 had LOTS of music besides classic rock, and there has been a lot of classic rock before then and since. John Williams composed Jaws and Star Wars during that period, Parliament/Funkadelic released a bunch of classic albums, there was disco of course. There was great classic rock before '67, Little Richard being my favorite from the early rock era. There is great classic rock today; just look at Derek Trucks' work over the last couple of years. People write great songs, no matter what the era. Some people arrange their songs as rock, some as folk or dance or electronic or whatever, but the quality of the songwriting is what really counts.

Posted on Feb 28, 2010 7:28:23 PM PST
SpencerB says:
Rock is rock. Music is music. "Classic Rock" is just a tag that radio or media use to describe older rock music. Just think of everything as music and don't worry about the tags on it.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Valleys Of Neptune forum
Participants:  51
Total posts:  81
Initial post:  Feb 16, 2010
Latest post:  Sep 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Valleys of Neptune
Valleys of Neptune by Jimi Hendrix (Audio CD - 2010)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (201)