Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

I hate the packaging for the special edition

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 26, 2009 3:24:53 PM PDT
Love the album, love the artwork, hate the flimsy cardboard quasi-digipack. The back page of the booklet is glued permanently to the inside of the cardboard "case" and the CDs are each in individual slipcases that fall right out of the opening. Kind of hard to describe, but I was extremely disappointed. Roadrunner really skimped on the materials. The factory shrinkwrapping alone crushed it, so that it arrived looking very wilted. If the 1-CD edition is in a jewel case, I might buy it and get a special insert so I can put all 3 CDs in it. I just don't see this flimsy thing lasting very long.

Posted on Jun 26, 2009 5:26:26 PM PDT
I know what you mean. You would have to carefully insert each disc/box back in the case for the next use. I was hoping I would find that silver ticket that alone would make up for the packaging and the individual slipcases, but to no avail unfortunately. I think $100 would be a better price for the collector's edition. But as a DT fan, the extra $37 wasn't that big of a deal.

Posted on Jun 26, 2009 9:09:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 26, 2009 9:09:29 PM PDT
Michael says:
This is the kind of thing that I absolutely hate. I wish they'd stop packaging some cd's and dvd's like this. This isn't the first one Roadrunner has done it with: the special editions of Opeth's Watershed, and Cradle Of Filth's Godspeed On The Devil's Thunder. I kinda expected it with this one because their live cd's are packaged like this as well, same with the Greatest Hit collection.

Posted on Jun 28, 2009 6:45:18 AM PDT
I don't mind the slipcase with cardboard materials since this is better for the environment than plastic, but I really dislike that the booklet was glued to the back, forcing us to hold the entire package when reading it.

Posted on Jun 28, 2009 11:25:43 AM PDT
CurseGoddess says:
You know, in a way I like the packaging, but in a lot of ways, it's terrible. I liked how the cd's had their own "cases", but I hate how hard it is to get them in and out without destroying them. I also hated when I first opened it, and the cd's flew out the opening in the front because I was holding it sideways. The cd booklet angers me as well. Who would EVER glue the damn thing to the actual case? It is just stupid.... but on the brightside, the artwork inside the booklet is pretty cool.

Anyway, that was my thoughts on the packaging, although most of it has already been said. The cd's themselve are great, and the music on them is even better.

Posted on Jul 2, 2009 7:44:59 PM PDT
CBChase says:
Worst cd packaging job I've ever seen. I can't believe that A) somebody thought this was a good idea, and B) it actually made it all the way through to production without ANYBODY saying "this is a really stupid idea". The individual 'mini album cover' cd slip cases (which don't like to give up their cds very easily) are constantly falling out of the wide-open-on-both-ends holder (which doesn't like to hold onto the cases at all). Also, is there a hidden code somewhere that explains the meaning of the matching picto-graphs on the cds and slip covers and why they correspond to cd numbers? (i.e. "bird"=1, "DT logo"=2, "moon"=3) Just curious.

Fantastic cd - horrible packaging.

Posted on Jul 3, 2009 8:29:06 AM PDT
I'm really glad I'm not the only one who felt this way about the packaging... No clue about any code for the images, though.

To sort of rub salt in the wound, I just got a couple of CDs on the Kscope label (Pineapple Thief and Lunatic Soul), both of which are in digipacks done right. The packaging is thick and sturdy, and the booklets can be held on their own.

Posted on Jul 6, 2009 1:38:37 PM PDT
I don't understand the point of flimsy cardboard CD cases. Do people throw jewel cases into landfills when they buy CDs?

Posted on Jul 12, 2009 8:39:10 PM PDT
Kevin Depew says:
The packaging definitely sucks. I would love to beat the crap out of the wackos who are pushing this "green" packaging. First, I wouldn't throw away my jewel cases anyway. Second, plastic can be recycled. Third, the plastic used for albums is a negligible amount compared to what we use on other things. Now, we have to live with these lame packages. Alot of times, I don't buy albums if they come in the lame cardboard packaging.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2009 4:12:08 PM PDT
Robert Camp says:
It just makes no sense...Why make something eco friendly when you throw it away, only problem is, they are making an eco product that no one throws away. You keep your CDs, don't toss them. One of the dumbest products ever as far as these new eco products is concerned...

You are right, I just do not understand this eco friendly CD case thing, give me back my jewel case. I have 9000 of them now that I don't intend on throwing in a landfill....

Posted on Jul 27, 2009 7:39:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 2, 2009 4:18:59 PM PDT
I've just received my CD from Amazon and I also really hate the packaging... The CDs fall off the package every time, since there is nothing to hold them inside... And the digipack material is too thin, it came from the mail all bent and smashed...

In this day and age of digital downloads it's a shame that they treated this product in this way. It is supposed to be a special edition nonetheless! I think I will formally complain about that with Roadrunner, DT and Amazon itself!

Posted on Aug 1, 2009 6:24:09 PM PDT
To add insult to injury, I was in Best Buy yesterday and saw the standard edition of the album. In a sturdy jewel case. My suspicions were confirmed. Those of us who shelled out the extra cash for the special edition are the ones who got the shaft. Very disappointing (again). I may follow de Souza's lead and contact Roadrunner and let them know how unimpressed I am.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2009 11:44:53 PM PDT
Dave B. says:
Hey Brian,
I e-mailed Roadrunner to express my disapointment in the packaging- nothing vulger or too harsh- and I never got a reply. I intend to take this up with Mike Portnoy when I see him tomorrow (He's at Daddy's Junky Music in Boston Sunday afternoon).
The Instrumental CD is great, but I don't see myself ever listening to the covers CD again, except for the Iron Maiden tune.
Dream Theater are still one of the best IMO.
-Dave B.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2009 7:09:34 AM PDT
Please let me know how that goes. I'd be interested in his take on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2009 4:26:46 PM PDT
Hi Dave, that would be great to know what Portnoy himself think about this "special" edition. Pleaselet us know if you could talk to him about that!

Posted on Aug 2, 2009 7:42:12 PM PDT
Dave B. says:
Hey Guys, I didn't end up going to Daddy's Junky Music to meet Portnoy- I thought it was a drum clinic, but it was only a "meet & greet" with him. I didn't want to drive all the way to Boston (over an hour) just to "meet" him -I've met him before...super guy. I'm gonna try to contact him or post something on his website to see what he thinks about it. Maybe someone has already brought it up there (?). See ya, everybody.

Posted on Aug 3, 2009 2:36:19 PM PDT
I hope the right people are reading this thread, because the quality packaging is awful. Whoever is responsible for this garbage should be fired immediately. Yes, the discs do fly out, and yes the outer flimsy cardboard crushes if the A/C blows on it. No more of this nonsense, I say!

Posted on Aug 8, 2009 6:35:16 AM PDT
kelso 63 says:
I put one staple on the outside edge (about in the middle) to seal that opening shut. I now can open up the cd case (if you can even call it that) and slide the 3 cds though the inside opening. The staple stops them from falling out the outer opening. This is kind of hard to explain but if you own it you probably know what I mean. Ridicules. Worst package ever.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2009 4:42:37 PM PDT
Normally, I would not want to deface something like this, but in this case, I think I'll make an exception. I'm not going to be selling it, and if I were, well . . . it's not like it's in great shape anyway. It was already crushed when I got it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted on Aug 12, 2009 12:39:11 AM PDT
I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates the cardboard cases! It's been something I've been ranting to people about for a while. The frustrating thing is, they like to do it on the "special edition" of stuff - so you pay more for worse packaging, and if they're trying to be green, why only do cardboard for the lower-selling special edition? (The '"green packaging" concept doesn't float with me - I'd rather have my CD packaged in plastic, made from thousand-year dead dinosaur, than in cardboard, made from a freshly killed tree. And, if I wasn't planning on keeping the jewel case, I would just download the song. I still have the Iron Maiden CDs I bought 20 years ago in their jewel case. If they want to save plastic, stop selling me beverages in it, not CDs).
There's a number of CDs I would've bought the special edition of, but didn't because of the cardboard case, and others where I really preferred the special edition so I put off buying the CD because of the stupid cardboard case. I, too, bought the special edition of Opeth's "watershed" and I notice I haven't listened to it much as it's a pain to get the CD out. I've actually scanned and printed some CD covers and repackaged them in my own jewel case.
I may be cynical, but I almost wonder if the CD companies do the cardboard jewel case because they don't fit in the theft-preventing keepers at CD shops (I work at Borders, and I've noticed this). I figure if someone steals a CD from Borders because it won't fit in a keeper, Borders is out their money but the record company still gets their take from Borders.
As for Dream Theater, I downloaded the cover songs (legally - I paid for them) and bought the jewel case 1-disc version, even though this cost more than I could've gotten the special ed. for.

Posted on Sep 20, 2009 4:35:13 PM PDT
Joe says:
I totally agree with this. I was expecting a digipak - I've had several of those, and they aren't that bad - but this one was way too thin and flimsy. I shouldn't have to be careful while handling a CD case to make sure that the CDs don't fall out. And I also agree that it's annoying that they glued the booklet to the case. What if someone wants to repackage it in a jewel case, with the original booklet? This is a digipak, a normally acceptable product, gone horribly wrong.

Posted on Oct 21, 2009 7:57:42 PM PDT
The thing that really sucks about this packaging is that it's impossible NOT to scratch the discs. I'm a collector and scratched discs really piss me off.

Posted on Dec 30, 2009 8:32:13 AM PST
Justin G. says:
The first thing I did when I saw the lousy disc sleeves was put the CDs in slimline jewel cases. They go on the shelf right after the official package.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2015 8:39:18 PM PDT
Cheryl Z. says:
totally agree!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  18
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Jun 26, 2009
Latest post:  Apr 17, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Black Clouds & Silver Linings-Special ed
Black Clouds & Silver Linings-Special ed by Dream Theater (Audio CD - 2009)
4.1 out of 5 stars (191)