Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 9, 2006 9:05:32 AM PDT
Carolyn says:
My aunt suggested I read it when I graduated from college and did not know what to do. I was skeptical back then about the book. After all, I studied in college what I enjoyed. But my internship was not a happy experience.

I think one should do what one is naturally suited for according to aptitudes and natural inclincations. Self-assessment is imperative.

As for the money issue, I found that when I worked at less interesting jobs in unpleasant environments, I spent more money on things to cheer me up. Now, I live more simply and enjoy what I do and where and how I do it.

I recommend a book called Choosing Simplicity by Linda Breen Pierce.

Posted on Aug 14, 2009 6:26:06 PM PDT
Jan says:
I read this in 1984. At the time, my current business was nothing more than an idea, a yen, a pipe dream. A strange combination of circumstances occurred. I started dabbling on the side. I did work for friends ... for free, and " you missed your calling" became a constant refrain. I spent weekends poring over projects, and related publications. Fast forward to 1992. My own apartment, accidentally viewed by a realtor while I had the door ajar as I was cleaning. To make a very long story short, a single moment launched a career. T'was not an overnight thing. I toiled at two jobs for two more years,and finally the decision was made for me. My sink or swim moment came and I have been swimming since. Money is a necessary evil. Pile up some of that before you quit the day job. Have faith. If you are good at something it will eventually become known because your enthusiasm will allow you to toil and produce and it will seem a bit like play. I frequently say silently " I can't believe I get paid to do this"! The book was simply a catalyst to a thought process of what if... how could I... what would it take.... and dreaming always precedes doing. It has been seventeen years of a love of work. The only jobs I ever despised were the ones I did for the money. I don't do this solely for the money, but I do get paid, and I love what I do, and they have been the highest earning years of my life. I work for me, and I kill myself for clients. I am an interior designer.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Apr 9, 2006
Latest post:  Aug 14, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Do What You Love, The Money Will Follow: Discovering Your Right Livelihood
Do What You Love, The Money Will Follow: Discovering Your Right Livelihood by Marsha Sinetar (Kindle Edition - March 4, 1989)
3.9 out of 5 stars   (55)