Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 3, 2012 2:50:06 PM PDT
Matty says:
There have been, are working on, and will be so many changes on this game. They're completely changed a lot of the systems in game, taken things out completely, taken things out to be worked on and changed, removed some NPCs, etc etc. So if you buy this guide, chances are there will be a lot of it that's not relevant to the actual release version of the game. They may have removed those parts from the guide so it is more relevant, but even still, once the patches come out that implement the PvP and other systems currently in development, then you still will be out of luck and have to Google it instead of flipping through the book. If the game was 100% of what the developers wanted at release and everything would be included and working then I'd get it. But, it isn't. So unless you need help with the basic gameplay and/or running through quests (though with random maps there is no specific route to get them done faster), then I wouldn't bother buying this book.

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 3:20:42 PM PDT
Good point, my friend. But I'm getting this anyway since I love anything "diablo related" for sure I'll enjoy reading more ~400 pages about diablo world, including characters, quests, maps, plot and etc.

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 6:46:33 AM PDT
ec0n0mist says:
I still remember their D2 guide that had stuff of this sort in it: "Blessed Hammer is a weak offensive skill, it is difficult to use and it deals low amount of damage, we recommend ignoring it," so yes it is going to be pretty much useless. Bliz are dumbing down... making it "casual user oriented" anyways, so I don't think hard guide is really require, especially if it is not your 1st hack n slash rpg.

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 9:23:54 AM PDT
F. Morse says:
I agree, I wouldn't buy this product unless you absolutely have to have everything with the same Diablo III image on the cover. The information will be outdated in weeks if not at release.

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 8:17:14 AM PDT
Dave says:
The product description mentions several features that have already been removed or heavily altered from the game, and given the state of flux Diablo III has been in right up to the last minute is certain to be wildly out-of-date even upon release. This product should be viewed as a piece of kitsch for collectors, not a legitimate guide to the game. Almost immediately upon release, legitimate, accurrate, up-to-date free guides will be available online.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 6:20:16 PM PDT
C. Carter says:
Excellent insight, and much needed. I'm getting twitchy for release and almost bought this in a haze of "gotta get Diablo III stuff."

Thanks for pulling in the reins on my behalf. :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 11:09:39 PM PDT
Thats because Blessed Hammer was a pathetic skill at launch and even before launch. Not a good idea to judge a strategy guide based on a skill that was always garbage until patch 1.10 came and introduced synergies, lol.

Posted on May 9, 2012 7:40:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2012 7:44:37 PM PDT
J. Rivera says:
Since this is the only discussion related to the guide.. here goes my bragging rights: Amazon just shipped this beauty today and it will be arriving at my doorstep by Friday, May 11th. Ha! Here I was thinking that the guide was going to ship ON May 15 and not arrive until the 17th, and Amazon ships it early before game launch! I will have to keep my eyes off the campaign pages but the rest of the guide will be at my disposal until the game gets here, and I will be thoroughly prepared to dive in. True, there will be a lot of information that could be changed/altered but Brady does a very good job as is, and they make you aware that things within Blizzard games change. They don't pretend to be the end all / be all for a guide. They made that clear with the Starcraft 2 guide: Multiplayer section. But the skills and strategies are still apparent throughout, and the artwork from page to page is pristine. Be that as it may: at a meager 13 bucks, I'm happy I purchased the guide.

Posted on May 13, 2012 3:30:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 13, 2012 5:09:27 PM PDT
Raven says:
I have had the guide for 3 days and I am very happy with it so far. I am a gamer, so I don't need the hand holding. I like the visuals and some of the story information is interesting. So far the guide seems to be accurate as of close of beta May 1, but I haven't read every page. One of the things the guide does have that I like (that I am sure will also be online) are equipment guides. These show the ranges and % range for weapon add ons. This will be really useful when farming or crafting; let's say you make a tier 4 axe and it gives you +5% lifesteal. You may be happy with that, then you look in the book and see the range is 5% to 9%, so you re-craft it knowing you can do better.
It's also cool to see things like Diablos hp in normal is just over 100k, then in nightmare its 2.4 million. And if I start to wipe on a boss in nightmare or higher and I just can't seem to figure it out, then I may check the guide for strategy, but I am not putting a lot of faith into that part of the book.
Sure patches will change the informaion, and there is nothing about PVP in the book.
If you are a hardcore gamer and a fan of diablo 3 then the $14 for this book is NOTHING compared to what you just in visuals and casual reading. If you are new to the game or are a new gamer then this book would be of immense value.

Posted on May 18, 2012 10:43:57 AM PDT
ForeverIrish says:
Will this book tell me how to get past the cemetery gate? I read a couple sites online that recommend disconnecting the Internet. Does this seem crazy to anyone else?

Posted on May 18, 2012 1:24:18 PM PDT
K. Geddings says:
im getting it (if the danged amazon will ever ship it ) some glitch hold up. I got most of the WoW guide books and yes they can become out of date but overall i think it will be a fun book to have. the stuff should be useful at the start at least so.. good for me. :-) big too!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Apr 3, 2012
Latest post:  May 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Diablo III Signature Series Guide
Diablo III Signature Series Guide by Rick Barba (Paperback - May 15, 2012)
3.7 out of 5 stars   (130)