4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't need the part I ordered
I got what I ordered and found out I couldn't upload my videos because my new 8.1 machine won't recognize the camera . Nothing to do with the part I received . It had to do with the lack of JVC camera support .
I have no problem with the part I ordered . It was inexpensive and I received it in good time .
Published 4 months ago by fasteddie

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work; not worth returning!
This product is total rubbish.

I unexpectedly upgraded to a new iMac, but had my entire life backed up on a FireWire 800 external hard drive (a port which Apple no longer includes on their computers). I figured "hey, great, an adapter to allow me to use the FW drive on a USB port!" 6 bucks shipped is pretty reasonable too.

So, like, 3 weeks go by and...
Published on June 26, 2012 by spylab

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work; not worth returning!, June 26, 2012
This review is from: IEEE 1394 FireWire 6 Pin Female to USB Male Adapter (Electronics)
This product is total rubbish.

So, like, 3 weeks go by and the adapter finally arrives, direct from China. Hm.
Hook it in-line and plug it in and get a message immediately that one of my USB ports is drawing too much power and has been shut down for safety.

Grrrreeeat.

USB always operates at 5 volts. Always.
Firewire is anywhere from 8 to 40 volts, nominally around 25.
I guess this adapter has NO step-down within it, so it is essentially pushing out a 25+ volt USB connection, which either won't work or will damage anything it's plugged into.

It will probably cost as much to ship it back to China as the thing cost, so I flushed $6.
Don't follow my lead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, July 16, 2012
I bought this to be able to upload videos from my firewire video camera into my laptop that does not have a firewire outlet. It does not work for this purpose. If this is what you are looking for, look elsewhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy This, July 6, 2012
As the other reviewer stated, plugging in to a Mac USB port generates a too much power error.

There are no electronics inside, just pins wired to pins. I am "merely geeky," but I'm pretty sure there needs to be some converter electronics for this kind of device to function as we expect, that is, to plug a firewire device into a USB port.

I don't feel bad, I knew it was a risk, but let my and the other reviewer's experience guide you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work!, July 23, 2012
Every expert I have talked to says that converting usb to firewire is not possible. They are two completely different standards, and there is no way to convert them.
The only way to add firewire to a computer or laptop that doesn't have a firewire port is with a PCI card or PCMCIA or something like a cardbus adapter.
Not sure what this adapter is for, but it doesn't work as advertised.

1.0 out of 5 stars Will not work for many reasons., January 10, 2014
I wish I did my homework before buying this. It is not worth returning either. It was too good to be true.
I would need to spend more money to hopefully get this too work for example additional: presets, driver software, and plug-ins written specifically for Adobe Premiere Pro.. Might as well get the right stuff. This adapter is useless. I might as well buy a laptop that is compliant.
Here is why: To capture DV video, your computer must be able to connect to a DV device using IEEE 1394 (FireWire/i.Link). For detailed instructions on connecting your device, see your device documentation. Adobe Premiere Pro's built-in DV support relies on DV support in the operating system. To provide DV support through their operating systems, Microsoft requires IEEE 1394 interfaces that are compliant with the OHCI specification. Many computers include OHCI-compliant IEEE 1394 ports on the computer, and almost all current IEEE 1394 cards are OHCI-compliant. IEEE 1394 interfaces that are not supported by the operating system require their own presets, driver software, and plug-ins written specifically for Adobe Premiere Pro. If your computer does not have a built-in IEEE 1394 interface, you can purchase a hardware capture card that provides the interface (see your computer's documentation).

The first step in capturing DV video is to connect the camcorder or deck to the IEEE 1394 port or card in your system. Plug an IEEE 1394 connector into the DV In/Out port on the camcorder or deck and plug the other end into the IEEE 1394 port on the system's panel or on the card installed in the system.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work for any firewire peripherals!, June 2, 2013
This item doesn't work due to the physical and electrical differences between Firewire and USB. The connectors fit, but that's the extent of it's functionality.

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star Over The Line, June 28, 2012
There's not much to say because the bit o' trash does NOTHING. It isn't useful for a Firewire-to-USB bridge because it won't even transmit power to a device.
I do want my costs reimbursed.

1.0 out of 5 stars PRODUCT IS A JOKE!!!, May 29, 2013
Product was a complete FAILURE!! DID NOT WORK!!!! These people are making a product that is
worthless to some & might work for others!

1.0 out of 5 stars does not work, November 28, 2012
I can't even see why any one would waste the time creating this product since firewire and usb are not compatible.

1.0 out of 5 stars Failure, October 16, 2012
Unfortunately the simple adapter does not work. I was unable to connect presonus Fp10 to a PC using this adapter.