4.0 out of 5 stars Third turn of the screw
Published 22 months ago by Amazon Customer

Published 22 months ago by Tristan C.

4.0 out of 5 stars Third turn of the screw, November 8, 2012
This review is from: (III) (MP3 Music)
Although this is not the lengthy, pulsating, driven, and at times bewildering chaos that made (II) such a massive follow-up to (I), (III) stands its ground. True to their nature, Ethan and Alice have made a spasmodic and rapturous collection of tunes to throw into the vault. Tonally and thematically their most cohesive album, by no means can the same be said for flow or structure. These are separate tracks that speak of discord, trauma, beauty, and violence. Alice is more muted and twisted in her vocals, but it doesn't come off as childish. There is a method to the madness. I'm slowly falling in love with these songs as much as any of their other tracks, and if you're a fan, it probably won't take you too many listens to get into the album either.

For people just coming into the fold, this may be a great introduction. There is emotion and emphasis sized down for the average listener whereas their first two albums can be over-whelming to take in at once.

If anything I'm left, as always, wanting more from a duo who seem to try to give everything of themselves to their audience. Each album is a different monster. This monster seems to be hiding in the shadows- small, sharp, desperate, and willing to run away with you if you let it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crystal Castles continue their evolution with tormented third release, November 14, 2012
This review is from: III (Audio CD)
It's an age old question. There are those among us who feel like music should strive to be cheerful in nature: that it should be something to lift our spirits and should always provide a rosy disposition. Yet there are others who see beauty in the bleakness, who view despair as a delicacy. If you're one of these, Crystal Castles has an album for you.

They haven't taken long to leave their mark. After a promising debut in 2008, the Canadian electronic duo struck gold with their sophomore album II, one of the most distinctive electronic albums of the past several years. The release of III reinforces a striking fact about Crystal Castles that every album they have released are markedly different from one another.

Their debut was a visceral, aural experience rife with clinking and clunking of old video game machines, while their sophomore release drew much more heavily from IDM and refined their production; the electronics on that record were as sharp as a razor's edge. Main composer Ethan Kath has ensured that III shares little in common with those, so it's tough to make a direct comparison. But it doesn't take long to determine that it's much more atmospheric and even more dream like than its predecessor.

Crystal Castles have typically been a tough nut lyrically, with most of the vocals being glitched beyond comprehension. But would you have guessed Alice Glass as defender of the downtrodden? It seems to be what she's going for. In numerous interviews, she's spoken extensively on issues pertaining to women's rights and equality as well as flagging quality of life and limited rights of people around the world. These themes heavily inform III.

Lead single "Plague" shares fears of military and economic oppression on a third world scale, while noting we may be contributing to this descent with our own actions. The music is carefully building up in the background, bubbling and broiling until Alice at last reaches her grand realization: "I am the plague!" Her sense of rage and apprehension is palpable from the instant you hit play.

The theme is revisited several times later, including "Wrath of God," where Alice's muffled voice warns against the loss of independence and heritage. With its thumping, throbbing bassline and its organ driven, cathedral like lead melody, this is techno that feels fit for the Sistine Chapel.

The presence of muffled vocals is a recurring trend the band uses to augment the downbeat and dreary sound of the album. The technique shows up again on "Pale Flesh." The lead in consists of high pitched, glitchy electronic work that pushes the upper frequencies of your sound system. Alice's voice is so muffled, echoy and reverb coated that it sounds more like a flock of birds frantically fluttering in their cages than an actual human voice. This is one of the most suffocating, bleak and oppressive songs on the disc, but it does soften up a bit here and there so as to allow time for some quiet musing.

Some of their greatest opportunities to honestly affect a listener have come on their more melodic work, and they certainly haven't abandoned that. "Affection," for example, has the heaviest IDM influences and as such resembles the material on II most closely. Like "Celestica," it stakes its reputation on Alice's breathy vocals, and when her voice goes low it is truly one of the most stunning moments on the album.

"Kerosene" is also one of the album's more melodic pieces. Its rumbling, phantasmal bass synth glides into your eardrums like a storm front billowing out of your headphones. It rests on a variety of glitch/IDM lead melodies to augment the effect, along with Alice's crystal clear vocals.

One of the big strengths of III is its diversity "Sad Eyes" is one of the album's heaviest rave pieces. A pulsating bass beat gyrates underneath, creating a hot dance stunner that still manages to evoke a cold emotional spectrum. "Insulin," at just over a minute and a half, follows in the tradition of "Fainting Spells" and "Doe Deer" as one of the most difficult, dissonant, and experimental tracks in their catalog. A liberal static fuzz emotionally distances you from the track, while Glass's voice is garbled far past the point of recognition.

Elsewhere, "Violent Youth" proves Crystal Castles are capable of injecting warmth into a song. With its fun, bouncy beat, it's easily the most upbeat of III's offerings. The low, warbling bass synth from "Kerosene" also shows up in a couple of other tracks, including "Transgender" and "Telepath." "Telepath," the album's only instrumental, goes through a variety of phases. It's very glitchy sounding at first, then becomes more spacey and atmospheric.

Despite its violent title, album closer "Child I Will Hurt You" is quite the opposite of what you might think. Like their previous album closers "I Am Made of Chalk" and "Tell Me What To Swallow" it is much more downbeat and low key, while sounding nothing like either of those songs. "Child I Will Hurt You" presents a mellow, tranquil and peaceful vibe for the first and only time on the album, while the twinkling electronica provides a familiar dreamlike element.

Because each Crystal Castles album is so vastly different from one another, it all comes down to the listeners' own musical preference as to where III will rate in their catalog. This is an album dominated by rave elements, atmospherics, and presents generally cold and bleak but beautiful sonic dimensions. Personally, II is their most consistent album and therefore is a slightly stronger overall. But there are more than a few guy/girl electronic duos around, and none of them are nearly as distinctive as Crystal Castles. They have their own style, and the variety of ways in which they express it on III is truly remarkable. Tragedy doesn't have to be your true love to appreciate that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tighter, Leaner, Meaner, November 12, 2012
K. Kwon (PA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: III (Audio CD)
Of the albums thus far, this III one feels the most focused of the bunch. Without any over-layered tracks, each song has a unique feel independent of the other tracks. Alice's lyrics are darker, while the driving beats by Ethan suit her vocals perfectly.

I was hoping to not be disappointed, and this album is excellent! The first time I heard Affection was while I was driving with the bass up, and DAMN, what a great song. Ethan is surely underrated as a producer, and what's not to love about Alice's use of her voice?

My favorite album of the year with only a month left to go.

Notable tracks: Affection, Plague, Child I Will Hurt You, Wrath of God

5.0 out of 5 stars Whoa, December 25, 2012
This review is from: (III) (MP3 Music)
I never liked them before I heard a song from this off pandora and it haunted me to the very core of my soul. I couldn't get it out of my head. After noticing my life was incomplete without this piece of music in my collection I hopped on here in hopes of putting it on my wish list for the holidays, however I noticed it was 4$ and almost did 2 consecutive backflips. I've listened to it an unimaginable amount of times since I bought it 2 days ago. Seriously, just get this album. It's almost stupid not to.

5.0 out of 5 stars III, November 13, 2012
This review is from: III (Audio CD)
If you haven't realized by now Crystal Castles are not satisfied with making the same album over and over again, then maybe you shouldn't listen. If you get what Crystal Castles are all about then this is another amazing album.

III takes the overall dark feel of II and expands on it, wallows in it and celebrates it. I feel like I am listening to the soundtrack to someone's beautifully haunting dream. Like the last album it wasn't what I was expecting, but like the last album it gets better with every listen. In some ways III reminds me of their first album, it's a little more raw and many of the sounds have a vintage feel due to Ethan using analog equipment. The only problem I have with the album is overt use of reverb on Alice's vocals, it get a little monotonous after awhile. Like the last album, it leaves some of the old CC behind and picks up something new. The greatest asset to the album is the melody and hooks buried beneath the atmosphere. I feel like I'm in a room filled with fog trying to find my way through and that really sums up how I feel about this album. Everything I love about CC is here and that's really all i need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't read this...save time and go download it, May 15, 2013
This review is from: III (Audio CD)
Anything you ever liked about them is mostly still intact, albeit a bit less of the raw punk angst of their first album. The evolution is clear, but far from a departure. This is just all their styles mixed together in every song, instead of one song at a time. The only new element is that the beat patterns venture farther from the "house-eque" structures of the first album, and more towards the boom-bap that I think the last album only teased at. All their albums are short though, so the only way to not wear them out is to buy all three, remove CC from your Pandora cue, and shuffle the 3 albums in your iPod. Their are very well suited to this sort of listening. I am sure some people will say this album is overproduced, because that's what they always say when an artist gets major label money, but really, they just need to get over it and let these two evolve how they please. This is not a retread, nor a departure. What more could I want? Nothing, except another album after this one.

PS: Don't debate for one second if you should go see them live either. Give them all your money, and then beg for more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the year, regardless of genre, November 12, 2012
C. Gann (Ativan Coma) - See all my reviews
This review is from: III (Audio CD)
This album speaks to me and touches me on a level that not many things in my life have ever managed.

The album as a whole is completely perfect and surpassed all of my expectations.

CC seems to have streamlined their sound and opted to make a more emotional piece of art. There were songs that came close to moving me to tears (Wrath Of God, Child I Will Hurt You).

The theme of the album, the artwork and the presentation all blend together and create an experience that quite honestly left my jaw on the floor.

It's as if this recording is haunted by ghosts.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Hopes were Exceeded!, November 10, 2012
L.A. Cris. "LAC." (Ventura County, Calif. (& sometimes West LA, Calif.)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: (III) (MP3 Music)
Loved their first batch of songs, but I was personally disappointed with their previous "Crystal Castles ii" album.

Initially, I set my hopes pretty low for this album "iii", but their occasional leaks & teasers via their Facebook page like "Plague" & "Wrath of God" got me excited.

I ended up liking this album much more than "ii".

I think these songs are more in touch with Crystal Castles' roots, & what I believed they were all about.

There's more of that retro-video game background music sound & feel, with the eerie lyrics that make you do a double-listen your first few times around.

For me, these tracks have everything that the 2nd album lacked.

3.0 out of 5 stars Crystal Castles Shift Gears and Make A Depressing Synth Pop Record, November 12, 2012
Tristan C. (San Jose, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: III (Audio CD)
I've been following Crystal Castles since their first single "Alice Practice" back in 2006. I instantly fell in love with their first record because of my interests in electronic and chiptune music in general. They were a huge breath of fresh air in the scene with the way they combined many electronic music styles in a way no-one had ever tried (or at least executed as well).

Fast forward to 2010 and they release their sophomore album which only builds on this unique use of electronic music while adding even more complex layers and melody on top of it. Crystal Castles (II) was probably one of the best records of the last decade.

So here we are in 2012 with a new record which has left me in a bit of an identity crisis. On this record Crystal Castles have changed their style dramatically. Gone are the Atari generation inspired chiptune effects and luscious complex layers. This record takes a hard turn in a gothic synth-pop direction.

The song structure overall is much simpler--to a fault. The music is so simple and repetitive that I found myself skipping songs frequently; searching for a song which would keep my attention for the full three to four minutes. This is a problem I never had on the other records. There's just not enough variation in melody in these tracks to grab me. Some of them just drone on and on to the point where I am genuinely bored.

The lyrical content on this record is very dark. Most of the lyrics confront depression and nihilism. I just couldn't get into this because generally I turn to music to lift me up. When I say lift me up I don't mean I want to hear only happy thoughts, but I need some kind of point or conclusion to the song help me process the emotions. This record just doesn't accomplish that and feels like a drawn out therapy session with no conclusion. I can enjoy a record that has something profound to say, but depressing lyrics just for the sake of being sad does nothing for me.

One interesting thing I can say about this record is that it does a much better job representing a Crystal Castles live show. There has always been a huge discrepancy between how the records sound and how they sound when performing. This is because during a live show Alice would sing all the parts without many effects. On this record everything was recorded and delivered pretty straightforward and sound as if they recorded them in one-take and never processed them with any effects.

I have to wonder if they wrote and recorded the record with this as a goal of recreating their live sound in mind. Or perhaps touring non-stop subliminally influenced this. Alice's voice is center stage on all the songs. There are no guests or interesting voice effects, but that's something I really miss. Again, to my point of the record lacking the diversity that the other records had.

The track "Violent Youth" is the one saving grace on this album because it harkens back to the sound on the first two records. It has a killer dance-electro beat, complex layering, and takes several unexpected turns throughout. Hopefully this means they aren't done with the old sound, and that this record is just a temporary change and they are not redefining their sound for good.

I'm giving this three stars. While it is well produced, and the sound is lush, the songs are repetitive, and it is far too simple. I really miss the Atari/Chiptune effects, and complexity of their older work. If this was my first Crystal Castles record I might not be so critical. However, these guys set the bar really high.

This record seems to fall into the trend I've seen with indie and electronic music this year of migrating toward minimalism (example: this year's Sigur Ros and XX albums). While those bands executed this change extremely well, with Crystal Castles it simply contrasts what made Crystal Castles such a great act on the first place. I just can't get on board with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crystal Castles best album thus far., November 8, 2012
This review is from: III (Audio CD)
This album really blew me away. Crystal Castles fans will definitely find something to like about this album. No fillers, every track stands it's own ground. One of the best albums of 2012. Absolutely brilliant.

(III)