Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: IK Multimedia iKlip Universal Microphone Stand Adaptor for iPad
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

on December 9, 2011
I might have gone a bit overboard on this, my first video review, but I had fun with it... It shows you everything you want to see, and then some.

To sum it up, it's a great product for many things, including mic stands.
55 comments|49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2011
Santa was good to me this year. I asked for the iRig and this iKlip.

I received both and honestly: You can't have one without the other!

The iKlip came out of the box and in under 5 minutes, it was on my mic stand and holding my iPad2. The iPad2 clips snap in HARD which is good because I was worried that they provided "clips" to hold my $500 iPad. But relax! It's a good product and it is very worthy of your iPad.

The idea of this is that it allows you to control your iPad while working on other instruments and/or singing. It's a must-have for musicians that use iPad for traveling sets. Why fumble with your iPad on a desk or table top when it can be with you up front and center!

PROS

Easy to assemble.
Strong and confident to hold your expensive iPad device.
Price!

CONS

Yes, I found a con! This is why it gets 4 stars: The photo shows the main grip part of the clip clamping on to the vertical portion of the mic stand. I'm 6'0 tall which puts me at the upper-average height. Mic stands with a boom (like the product photo) are very, very short because the boom adjusts to make up the height. So because of this, if I mount the iPad according to the photo, it is way to low to fool with while performing. Also, I use glasses so vision is a thing for me. I need the iPad closer to my face. On a stand w/o a boom, this is perfect and not a con. For those that use a boom, it could be an issue. I mounted mine as high as I could which worked out BUT the top part of the iPad might collide with the boom so the range is limited.

I would have preferred that iKlip had a knuckle that rotates in an X, Y *and* Z axis. Right now, you get limited X and most Y but no Z (or rotate). Having a rotate would have given me more range to mount the device higher and rotate it out of the way.

My CON is petty but is enough to warrant a 4-star instead of the coveted 5-star review. I can't be alone in wishing that the knuckle of this device allowed rotation or that consideration was not taken for those with mic stands that have booms.

First world problems, I know...
on September 22, 2011
This is a great product! I use this quite frequently and get a lot of envious looks -even from people without iPads. (another musician told me it makes them want an iPad!) I'm glad it they updated the product, my first one was not designed for the iPad 2 (BUT it fit quite well with the cover I used). I left my first one at a show I did out of state... but I loved the product so much I had to buy a new one that week for a later show. It really spoils you.

iPad 2 fittings:
The original product was designed for the original iPad. There are some small snap-in parts that adapt the clip to fit your iPad 2. Although I personally like the snap-in parts, a good friend of mine who I often perform with PREFERS NOT TO USE THEM. We both have the Targus 360 cover which fits snugly without the snap-in parts in place.

***KEEP THIS IN MIND***
Although this mount fits the iPad well, it's only as sturdy as your microphone stand. That is, if you're using a weak/cheap stand and some dude knocks it over... Fill in the blank. I have made a personal desicion to buy a sturdy, portable mic stand. See Link>>IK Multimedia iKlip Microphone Stand for iPad and iPad2
on February 24, 2012
I bought this to allow my iPad to be on its own mic stand in the studio
for "remote recording transport control" with the Air Display app. The
stand goes together quickly, and is very sturdy. The iPad2 adapter clips
snap in HARD, which is very reassuring - the iPad is held very well.

However, the one flaw is the end you slide the iPad into stays "open".
There should be some sort of latch or clip to lock it in place. I use
the iPad horizontally, not vertically. That means that should the mic
stand tip a little, the iPad will just slide out on the floor! It's
THAT easy - no friction or catch or anything to keep it from sliding
out when tipped. If you want it for vertical use, no problem.

Otherwise, I like it - I just have to be careful in the studio to
avoid any tips of the stand.
on August 7, 2012
Sadly, I wanted to love this. Unfortunately, to hold an iPad 2 or later, you must insert shims in the unit designed for the older iPad. They do fit tightly once installed, but I was afraid at one point that I might break the tabs that secure the shims. YOu have to push really hard. They work okay, but I don't like paying $40 for a bad, awkward session of assembly. Then the most frustrating thing was that you cannot change the iPad's orientation from landscape to portrait and back conveniently. You must unscrew a rather long screw, with a philips head screwdriver, that seats in a plastic part that will definitely strip sooner or later. Unfortunately, the iRig guitar interface software must be in landscape to set up, and then my charts are in a program that really needs to be in portrait orientation. So I'm stuck.

On top of that, a clip was supposed to be enclosed for mounting the iRig to the iPad bracket, but neither in this package, nor in the (equally disappointing) iKlip mini, did I find the fabled iRig clip. I will contact customer support, but all I read suggests they could care less.

I've already bought another iPad holder that allows me to change the orientation as necessary without partially disassembling the unit. Don't know what I'll do with this one.
on January 26, 2015
I started using an iPad app for organizing all of my lyric and chord sheets for my live solo gigs. This bracket mounts on your mike strand and holds your iPad to allow you to view it while you're playing. It is solid, each to mount and durable. Initially I was worried the iPad may slip out, but scores of gigs and no problems. No real disadvantages. Easy to mount and easy to remove. Pair it with a bluetooth page turner and you are set.
on February 10, 2014
Holds an ipad solidly. The plastic part that attaches to the stand is ok, hope it holds up over time. If I could improve this product I would make the clip that attaches to the microphone stand such that it could be attached/reattached without having to disassemble the microphone stand. This one slips over the round piping. So, if you want to remove it, you have to first remove any connected booms/nuts/etc. and then put them back when you're done. Also, you can't simply rotate this unit. If you want to go from portrait to landscape or back you have to back out a screw. pull out the holder, rotate, reinsert and re-screw in the screw. In summary, this unit does what it needs to do, but it's not very user friendly.
on June 13, 2012
I just recently acquired an iPad 2 with the intent of using it to manage set lists and lyric sheets when I perform (I'm a guitarist / bassist / vocalist with 2 different bands in the Austin, TX area).

I initially decided to go with the IK Multimedia iKlip because it appeared the company had a lot of experience in making accessories for the iPad. That, and the price.

When it arrived, I was a little skeptical...it just seemed flimsy to me. Unfortunately, my skepticism was validated during the first outing with the product. I set up the iKlip and my iPad on my mic stand per the manufacturer's instructions. About 20 minutes into rehearsal, one of the band members shouts over to me that my iPad is about to hit the floor.

The bottom "clips" had bent back and my iPad was sliding out the bottom.

Based on that alone, I highly recommend against this item. I wound up ordering K&M iPad 2 stand holder. It's more expensive, but built much, much better.

The cost savings you would see by purchasing the iKlip would be quickly forgotten as soon as your iPad hit the floor.

I rarely "trash" a product on line, but this is one time I have to make an exception.
on January 10, 2015
This item is a game changer. Would not hesitate to replace it if lost or broken but it would take some determined negligence to break it. I'm 3 years into it and still using it every weekend at gigs.
on January 5, 2013
I use this when playing guitar or watching a movie on the iPad. Its great for mounting your iPad to a music stand and streaming tablature. Also, if you have the right type of stand, it is also great for holding the iPad while watching a movie in bed if you don't have a TV in your room.

I almost took a star away because a "The New iPad" or iPad3 fits a little tight. But thats not the fault of the iKlip. It fits just right on a iPad1 or iPad2. Just a little tight on an iPad3 and I have no idea how it fits on the iPad that just came out in late 2012.

Would recommend to any musician who uses an iPad for reading music.

See 1 answered question