5.0 out of 5 stars Minimalist beauty for 20 bucks?
Published on June 18, 2012 by W. S. Slayton

1.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, poorly executed.
Published 14 months ago by K. McGee

5.0 out of 5 stars Minimalist beauty for 20 bucks?, June 18, 2012
This review is from: IKEA - DIGNITET Curtain Wire, Stainless Steel (Paperback)
Look, ignore the negative reviews. It's beautiful and it's cheap. Yeah, you have to do a little work. You have to screw the bases into the wall. They need to be screwed into something secure, not just drywall. There's going to be significant pull on the bases, and you don't want your curtains sagging! Hit a stud- usually about 1/2 inch out from the window edge. Mount the bases, then snap the covers over them. Mount them both first. Then extend the mechanism on the right side as far as it'll go. The instructions show how to do this, but it's easy even if you don't have instructions. There are 3 cylinders on the right side. The left one holds the wire, the right one is attached to the wall, and the center one connects them and tightens the wire once it's attached. The right piece isn't moving. It's screwed to the wall. Use the supplied Allen wrench to loosen the tiny nuts on the left fixture. Insert the wire. Tighten the tiny nuts onto the wire. Stretch the wire until it'll fit into the right fixture with no slack. Having a friend helps here, but isn't necessary. Loosen the nuts on the right side, insert the wire, and tighten the tiny nuts again. Now hold the left cylinder so it doesn't turn, and turn the middle cylinder to take up the slack! Seriously- they sometimes don't come with instructions. The "wire" is actually a thin, braided cable, so wire cutters are necessary to keep the ends from fraying. Frayed cable won't want to go into the holes. Don't be afraid of the installation process- it's a snap.

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely versatile/functional, loses a star for tricky installation, July 4, 2012
This review is from: IKEA - DIGNITET Curtain Wire, Stainless Steel (Paperback)
It's not the prettiest curtain hardware, but I've never found anything more functional and versatile and you can't beat the price. I'm an urban renter, and when I move into a new place, I often like to install curtains in odd places to hide impromptu storage areas. This hardware will go absolutely anywhere, at any angle, any length. You can install it perpendicular to the wall or even from the ceiling. The curtain-clip feature is also quite versatile in terms of making my own curtains quickly and cheaply. I've had a pile of this hardware for several years, given it heavy use in a variety of applications, and it still looks and functions like brand new. The only trouble is it's pretty tricky to install. I've never been able to figure it out and have had to rely on the kindness of boyfriends to do it for me (really, IKEA, would it be that hard to put WORDS with your picture-instructions?!?). One time I lived in an old building with plaster walls rather than drywall, and the plaster stuck to the wall-mounts like crazy when I took it down. If you have plaster walls, be prepared to repair damage if/when you uninstall this hardware. (Also, the stuck-on plaster was impossible to remove from the wall-mounts until I figured out the solution: put it in boiling water for a few minutes!). The wire is rather difficult to cut, and I've had to purchase new wire when I've needed it to be longer than what I have left. Overall it's a great product, especially if you don't plan on having to install it more than once!

(Oh, and to the people complaining about having to buy screws separately: really?!? Different types of walls will require different types of screws, and you're whining about something that costs nearly nothing and is available practically everywhere).

4.0 out of 5 stars A great way to display kids' photos and artwork, but be ready for a tough time cutting the wire!, October 14, 2012
This review is from: IKEA - DIGNITET Curtain Wire, Stainless Steel (Paperback)
When I was visiting my local Ikea store, I saw their use of this curtain wire set for the first time and I loved it. I have been looking for a way to display pics of my grandkids because the refrigerator is already maxxed out with magnets and photos. I saw great possibilities with this curtain-hanging set, so I bought it.

Somewhere on the package it reads, "Easy to cut." No way. It is difficult. The wire itself is made of many smaller wires rolled together, just like a basket handle or a rope. The first three sets of wire cutters I tried did not do the job. At first I thought it wouldn't make any difference if the wires at the ends of the "rope" were separated -- thought I could twist them back together again, but I couldn't. I couldn't crimp them together, couldn't twist them together, so the "rope" would not insert into the tiny hole of the bracket. I had to recut the edges with great patience, cutting each single wire one at a time, twisting the "rope" gently so that the wires would not unravel or mangel.

Once that was done, the ends of the "rope" did fit into the small holes of the bracket. However, despite how I pulled the "rope" to tighten the slack, I just couldn't level it out. I tightened and untightened screws, and finally, after a couple hours of all this, I just gave up. After all, I told myself, this is only for a photo display. However, the length of my entire display is only 28". One could only wonder what would happen if you had to actually hang draperies from this wire set; seems to me that the slack would be awful.

The next day, I took the remaining wire "rope" to work to ask the head of maintenance to trim off the edges so that I could use it for a picture display in my office. He used two different sets of professional wire cutters with great difficulty, but finally managed to cut the "rope." At least it didn't take him the hours it took me!

That being said, I love the over-all look of my photo display; it will be very easy to change photos and artwork.

Since I am not using this wire set for draperies, but rather for photos, I give the set 4 stars; I am subtracting a star for the hours it took me to cut the rope correctly. There is a less-expensive version of this from Ikea, and if I had it to do over again, I would buy that one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, May 30, 2013
This review is from: IKEA - DIGNITET Curtain Wire, Stainless Steel (Paperback)
Purchased this to go with RIKTIG Curtain Ring with Clip. We used this to hang up our daughter's art work. Works perfect! Installed into studs to ensure a tight line.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, poorly executed., May 7, 2013
K. McGee (Charlotte, NC) - See all my reviews
Unlike everything else I've purchased from IKEA, the directions on this were confusing, and it did not come with required hardware. I struggled with this for hours and while it says it should more than have held the weight of the curtains I placed on it, it did not. To get the tension high enough to hold up the curtains, I had to make the tension so great that it pulled the wire out of the ends of the product. Total pain and I ended up tossing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holds More Than You Think It Can, October 14, 2013
This review is from: IKEA - DIGNITET Curtain Wire, Stainless Steel (Paperback)
I have 6 panels from Pottery Barn hanging on a 7 foot section of this. It's working great. I would buy many more if I could.

5.0 out of 5 stars YAY, May 30, 2013
This review is from: IKEA - DIGNITET Curtain Wire, Stainless Steel (Paperback)
Exactly what I needed to turn a small bedroom into a closet. Once we figured out how they work they are easy to install and hold 3 sheer curtains.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ikea wire curtain rods, November 2, 2012
shaun collier (east islip, ny, US) - See all my reviews
These need to be anchored to a stud, the tension into plaster or wall board is too strong, and will pull the plaster away. Easy to install. clean simple look, the longer expanse did sag tried to tighten but still sags slightly. would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy!, February 16, 2012
Peter Hutnick (Denver, Colorado United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: IKEA - DIGNITET Curtain Wire, Stainless Steel (Paperback)
I used one of these to mount some cable equipment that is meant to be installed outdoors (strand mount). Did a FAR better job than my Home Depot hand-rolled solution.

I guess it would probably work pretty well for its intended purpose, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Hanging Pictures, May 2, 2014
This review is from: IKEA - DIGNITET Curtain Wire, Stainless Steel (Paperback)
I used additional clips to hang photos on this curtain wire and it works as a fantastic piece of decor for any room.

Rate and Discover Movies