5.0 out of 5 stars An excellant compilation!
Published on November 7, 2008 by Mark Cruickshank

3.0 out of 5 stars Anothe attempt by the Record Co. to get our $$
Kiss' Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley have stated many times that we can all expect to see more and more of these "Greatest Hits" packages. It's the Record company's right to try and recoup as much $ from the deal they signed. Seeing as Kiss hasn't recorded any new material since 1998 and has no plans to anytime soon, or ever, this probably won't be the last...
Published on October 21, 2008 by Ryan Fisher

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellant compilation!, November 7, 2008
This review is from: IKONS [4 CD Set] (Audio CD)
First, I want to say that I am beside myself at how many clueless people think that Gene and Paul have anything to do with any of these hits packages (like the people below who gave 1 and 2 star ratings). PAUL AND GENE HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS SET. THIER OLD LABEL OWNS THE RIGHTS TO THIER MUSIC. THEY CAN RELEASE WHATEVER THEY WANT, EVEN WITHOUT PAUL AND GENE'S CONSENT.
Now then, with that out of the way, I will admit that there are to many hits sets out for kiss, but this, now is easily the best. You get a full 15 song disc to represent each member, and at a reasonable price for a 4 disc set. Paul and Gene's discs are very thorough, but you get extra songs not usually on a hits set, such as Almost Human, Larger Than Life, Plaster Caster, Charisma, Take Me, All American Man, and Mr. Speed (Pauls most underrated song).
But you also get 2 solid discs of Ace and Peter material. And no, they are not mostly from the solo albums. Only 5 or 15 are from Ace's solo album, so you get some great Kiss material like Rocket Ride, 2 Sides Of The Coin, Save Your Love, Hard Times and Dark Light. And only 4 of 15 are from Peter's. So you get some decent Peter led Kiss tunes such as Baby Driver, Hooligan, Mainline, Strange Ways (written by Ace) and Getaway.
All that, along with thier usual songs that do appear on other hits albums, such as Shock Me, Talk To Me, Beth, Hard Luck Woman, and so on.
For someone who is interested in Kiss, but doesn't want to buy the whole catalog, this is the perfect set. You can't beat it.
Pual was interviewed by WRIF radio in Detroit last week, and he mentioned that Him and Gene had nothing to do with this set, but that he thought it was cool. So there you have it.

5.0 out of 5 stars KISS SOLOS 2K: 30 Years Later, October 27, 2008
This review is from: IKONS [4 CD Set] (Audio CD)
As you can tell by the title of my review, this <kompilation!!> is equivalent to the KISS Solo albums, Greatest Hits-styled, for each of the original KISS members. I, too, abhor all the dozens of versions of "Greatest Hits...", but really couldn't resist buying this one. It is the ONLY "hits" package I have bought since "YOU WANTED THE BEST..." during the band's reunion formation, not counting the NEW RECORDING BEST from Japan. (That is an incredible disc, by the way!)

I really have no major complaints about the track listing since I have all of the original vinyls and CDs, and can burn an "extended" version of these discs as I choose. My only change to this would have been to ixnay "Christine Sixteen." I HATE THAT SONG, and THEY INSIST ON CRAMMING IT DOWN OUR THROATS. (In this day and age, it reeks of illegal relations between adult and minor.....gross and immoral, but that's another story). Not only do they choose to keep this song around, they keep mis-crediting it to ROCK AND ROLL OVER (Paul credits it to ROCK AND ROLL OVER in just about every live recording I've heard), and Gene notoriously starts the song half-way through...and THAT'S when he even gets the lyrics RIGHT! Gene? Mr. KISS-Perfectionist/Ace and Peter were losers who couldn't keep up? Christine needs to be comitted to an asylum and forgotten about. (Now she'll probably get credited to ASYLUM on that note.)

As for adding songs, I AGREE WHOLE-HEARTEDLY with the many reviews about "Torpedo Girl" needing to be on here. I'm one of those fans who has a sentimental bond to the UNMASKED album simply because that was a fun album to swim to in 1980. That album was released in June 1980, and we finally got to break in a new swimming pool; how cool it was to "go out and take a swim today."

Another song I would have added: SHANDI. Why do they treat her like some whore at a family reunion and ignore her? I wish "Shandi" would tie "Christine" up and lock her in a closet.

This collection of songs, in my opinion, goes to show how much talent Ace had with the band (as he still does) and I find his disc the one that I have already listened to about 4 times all the way through. Ace and Paul maintained the KISS sound and attitude. These discs can't help but scream that out. To that end, only Ace had songs from UNMASKED represented here. I guess we will have to salivate over the Australian pressing in order to get "Shandi." No wait! We can burn our home-made versions for FREE with it.

I like Peter's disc a lot and am glad to see "I Can't Stop The Rain" on here. I was in New York last week and all I could say was "this is New York! Yo~!" and flying back home to Texas at night, there was lightning in the sky as I played this track over and over. It truly cemented a great trip with a great conclusion: complete with real lightning across the sky. The piano in "I Can't..." is very haunting. I think I finally realized that when listening to it this time around. We can thank Sean Delany for that great gem of a song. (I personally could do without the g-d word in it; I don't like that word let alone in a great song).

Gene's disc starts off ironically enough with "God Of Thunder," and for an opening to a disc...with the kids screaming, it's pretty cool.

It does come with a 24 page booklet with some rarely if never before seen photos, and is done up first class, as in all things KISS.

In conclusion, I just hope to show that this box set is really a "KISS SOLOS 2K: 30 Years Later." When you view the discs as "Greatest Hits" by the "IKONS", then it becomes much more enjoyable and understood. If you take the solo albums and swap the names of the members with "SPACEMAN," "CATMAN," "DEMON," and "STARCHILD," then you can much more easily see my analogy. While on topic of the solos, it wouldn't be quite the KISS product without the infamous solo album covers being represented: when you open the gatefold, each disc is placed in a pocket that has the corresponding members' solo cover. (I love the solo covers, but they are way over-used now.)

All in all, to those that wish to buy this collection, remember this: it is a second chance to buy KISS SOLO albums, 30 years later (1978-2008), and when you load the discs and let them go, it really does take you back in time to a good place: rock and roll-slash-fantasy-slash-fun.

This is a great collection to have. If you get ANNNNNNNNY of the G.H. packages, burn your money on this. It is a COLLECTORS' package, not a romper room novelty.

I've been a KISS fan non-stop for 31 years. This collection should have been released a long time ago, in this format.

Enjoy! Randy <kissfox>

3.0 out of 5 stars Anothe attempt by the Record Co. to get our $$, October 21, 2008
This review is from: IKONS [4 CD Set] (Audio CD)

This set falls right in line with all the recent packages that have surfaced over the last 3-5 years, but goes a little above and beyond the others that have preceeded it. Nothing new here for the diehards who already have the entire catalog (some of us multiple times in more then one format!!).

I will give this set 3 stars for it's unique tracklist and set up. 4 discs total, 1 for each band member. I'm sure there's some sort of booklet included too.

Ace's disc is as complete as you can get. Shock Me - Into the Void are all included. Only tracks left out were the remaining ones from his '78 solo LP. They even included "Dark Light". I have yet to see any compilation of theirs include a track from "The Elder".

Gene's disc is cool in that It has "Almost Human", "Charisma" and "Larger Than Life". Haven't seen those on a comp yet either.

Paul's disc contains "All American Man" as the never seen in a compilation before. Would have been cool to include "The Oath" or one of the 4 tracks from "Killers".

Peter's disc, like Aces is very complete with pretty much every song he contributed to the catalog, save the rest of the '78 solo LP. I've just never been a real fan of his song writing. One complete listen to that '78 solo LP compaired with the rest, and you'll know what I mean.

None of the above reasons will make me run out and buy this set, but as compilations go, this isn't too bad.

For the casual fan who'd like a better than adverage retrospect of Kiss' career, then this is the one to go for. Amazon's price is more then fair, plus the free shipping doesn't hurt.

They're still my favorite band. Just wish we could get a big box of unreleased gems from their Vault. Maybe one day.

5.0 out of 5 stars nothing new for hardcore fans, but a great starting point for newbies..., December 5, 2010
This review is from: IKONS [4 CD Set] (Audio CD)
KISS Alive! (1974) was the band's breakout release, and as legions of fans joined the KISS Army, the group skyrocketed in popularity. The release of the four solo albums in 1978 under the KISS umbrella, was quite unprecedented in popular music, and was an indication of the individual appeal and "charisma" of Ace Frehley, Gene Simmons, Peter Criss, and Paul Stanley.

IKONS (2008) is a four CD compilation that is very much in the spirit of the solo albums, with one disc devoted to each of the four original members. The songs are taken from KISS albums, and the 1978 solo records. As Ace and Peter were not featured on vocals as prominently as Paul and Gene, their discs draw more heavily from their solo record. Focusing on each individual in this way, makes for a concentrated, and pretty cool listening experience, as well as providing some insight into the character of each member.

IKONS offers no new material to interest long time fans, but the compilation is an excellent and perhaps ideal choice, for new fans of the original members, looking for a fairly comprehensive collection. IKONS includes most of the best material from this period of the band's history, as well as providing a great sense of balance between the four members. The songs are all studio tracks. No live material is included, and weaker versions of certain songs, have as much as possible, been replaced with superior ones. The cardboard packaging isn't the greatest, but it does provide a minimal profile, and the outside sleeve does keep things from unfolding. An included booklet has some nice photos, notes, and song credits. Reasonably priced, this is an excellent introduction to the Star Child, the Demon, the Cat Man, and the Space Ace.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome Ace, March 2, 2009
This review is from: IKONS [4 CD Set] (Audio CD)
Loved the Ace CD - almost perfect except Torpedo Girl would have been better than Two Sides of the Coin (never did care for that song). Peter's was better than expected - especially Strangeways and Mainline. Liked that Paul's and Gene's included some rarer stuff but I would have liked some more songs that weren't on all the other compilations. How about Flaming Youth, World Without Heroes, Tommorrow & Tonight and Burning Up With Fever? But overall, I was thrilled with this collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars KISS Is NOT Putting This Stuff Out!!!, December 16, 2008
This review is from: IKONS [4 CD Set] (Audio CD)
I love the concept behind this package, it really shows just how talented the entire band was. You get to taste the flavor of each member of Kiss in a way we have not gotten to before. Now, for those who are mad that KISS keeps putting out the same songs, they are NOT! It's the record company, KISS has NOTHING to do with any of this...but we fans buy the stuff no matter what and the record company can add to their bottom line via our money. But fret not, KISS is going back into the studio this next year!!!

Chris

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than your average KISS compilation, October 22, 2008
This review is from: IKONS [4 CD Set] (Audio CD)
Not that anyone needs yet ANOTHER KISS compilation (or should that be kompilation?), this one actually almost does something that I've been thinking they should have done a long time ago. Since they don't seem keen on putting out an album of new material, put out a newly recorded CD of under-appreciated old songs instead of just the same old hits. So they did the "newly recorded" part with that new Japanese CD, and they got the under-appreciated old songs with this set...now they just need to meld those two ideas.

Ikons pretty much hits the nail on the head with the choices for the lesser known songs on this. "Ladies Room," "Charisma," "Almost Human," and "Larger Than Life" would definitely be Gene choices I would consider for my dream compilation. Something like "She's So European" with a real rock production instead of the pop of Unmasked could really make that song cool if it were re-recorded. Getting back to this set, I probably would have chosen either "Mr. Make Believe" or "Man Of 1,000 Faces" over "Radioactive" if I had to choose only one song from his solo album to include.

"Mr. Speed," "All American Man," "Take Me," and "Wouldn't You Like To Know Me?" are pretty much exactly what I would list as the best Paul Stanley songs nobody knows. How "Wouldn't You Like To Know Me?" wasn't a single or at the very least on the Best Of The Solo Albums compilation was alway a mystery to me. An awesome Paul song that may finally be getting some recognition!

The Ace tunes make sense. The only ones he sang on a KISS release that weren't included are "Torpedo Girl" and "In Your Face." I probably would have replaced either "Snow Blind" or "Save Your Love" with "Torpedo Girl," but I'm fine with "In Your Face" being left off. Still would have been nice to have ALL the Ace KISS songs one one disc just for the heck of it. I'm REALLY happy to see "What's On Your Mind?" on there. Definitely the forgotten gem on his solo record, and the one that deserves to be heard.

All of Peter's KISS songs are on here. The only decision you have to make is what songs from his solo album you put on there to fill out the 14 songs. "I Can't Stop The Rain" and "Easy Thing" are by far the best songs on the record. After that it's kind of a toss up. I probably would have chosen "You Matter To Me," "I'm Gonna Love You," or "Hooked On Rock 'N' Roll," but they're all about the same.

All in all I'd say this is a pretty good compilation. Nothing new for the die hards (although pretty cool packaging), but would be something good for a new fan to get so they could be exposed to some of the best of the deeper cuts. The guys in my band came in one day knowing how to play "Plaster Caster" and "Two Sides Of The Coin"...I'm like, how do you guys know THOSE songs? Because they had Greatest KISS and liked those songs that the casual fan had never heard that just happened to be on that compilation. So people really do like those songs that at first glance may just seem to be filler material. You can absolutely tell that real fans had a hand in choosing the songs for this ikonic kompilation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kiss - 'Ikons' (Mercury) 4-CD Box Set, December 15, 2009
This review is from: Ikons (Audio CD)
An absolute must-have 4-CD box set with a total of 56 tracks of the lengthy Kiss repertoire. Liked hearing some tunes that one (may) not hear on an every day basis, like "God Of Thunder", "Ladies Room", "Love 'Em And Leave 'Em", "Take Me", one of my favorite Kiss 'deep album' cuts "Plaster Caster" and "New York Groove". Plus some songs that I failed to recognize right off the bat such as "Mr. Speed", Ace Frehley's "Snow Blind", "Baby Driver" (off of their 1976 'Rock And Roll Over' lp - I don't remember this track at all) and "Mainline". Material here comes from Kiss titles, 1974-1998. If you have this box set, you don't really need any of their other compilation releases. Highly recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars A Box Set For Ikons, August 27, 2009
Tommy Sixx Morais (The Great White North) - See all my reviews
This review is from: IKONS [4 CD Set] (Audio CD)
KISS has made an impact in music, no doubts on that. They are still around today and made some great music, the fact that they are still known today proves that. There have been many compilations out there and a box set already so what could another of these do that hasn't been done? Well, "Ikons" released in 2008, is a box set containing four discs representing each individual members of the band. There's been nothing like that before, usually you take all the hits and put them together to make a compilation, this time there is four discs and they represent each a member. It's noticeably different and in some ways much better, Paul, Gene, Ace and Peter are KISS but having a discs of material with some of each's music shows their distinct personalities and talent. The concept of Ikons is great and hasn't been done before but what about the music in there?

The list is there and shows which song is where already so I won't do that. Gene's disc has the essentials "Deuce", "Calling Dr.Love" and "God Of Thunder" amongst others. "Radioactive" from his solo album was a predictable move, but it's a good song. Not much surprise with the song selection except for "Larger Than Life", also"Charisma" is odd but a good choice. Same thing with Paul, "Detroit Rock City", "Love Gun", "Strutter" and many others are no brainers. "Wouldn't You Like To Know Me" is a god choice from Paul's solo album. Ace and Peter's discs are more interesting because they aren't what you usually have on greatest hits and so this is something different. Of course there will be "Shock Me" and "Beth" but they have more songs from their solo albums. I found it great that included "Dark Light" from "The Elder" on Ace's disc as you don't see a lot of Elder stuff near KISS compilations.

Gene and Peter's discs have 1 song from their 1978 solo albums while Ace and Peter get 4 each. There's an easy explanation to this: Ace and Peter have written or been showcased in less songs than Paul and Gene have so it only seems normal that they would get more of their solo recordings on their discs. I find interesting that Ace and Peter each have a song from the "Psycho Circus" album (not that I personally care for Peter's track "I Finally Found My Way" but I thought "Into The Void" was one of the best things ace ever did).

I think this set does a good job at showing how unique those people are while being in the same band. All in all these four individuals once were the collective force that is KISS and this set shows it. The songs chosen are both very representative and good. It's not something to get for a fan like me who has every album (including the solo ones) but if you don't own any KISS or you want to buy a compilation maybe this would be something to check out for, it's much more worth it. The thing is that it costs more than the average compilation so you have to shell out more cash which means you pretty much have to be a fan with nothing to buy this otherwise you may find it pricey. KISS themselves, as has been said in other reviews, did not endorse this release and they did not decide to do this but they thought the idea was pretty cool. Overall Ikons does a good homage to true ikons and is a good set.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Set !!!, August 3, 2009
This review is from: IKONS [4 CD Set] (Audio CD)
Okay so we all know that record companies dust off older albums and groups to make a quick buck but I must admit I love this set. When the set first came out I was very uneasy about purchasing it mostly b/c the members have nothing to do w/ the set at all as far as packaging, art work, remastering, etc.... track selection is great and it has a few songs that are not on the orig albums. Favorite albums have to be Peter Criss & Space Ace; Simmons album is okay an the Stanley album is nothing more than a kiss greatest album with two or three Paul stanley indie songs thrown in.

All in All a very well done set and Secondhandtunes did a great job in shipping me my collection; came within a week.

Worth your money if your a true KISS fan !!!

IKONS [4 CD Set]
IKONS [4 CD Set] by Kiss (Audio CD - 2008)
Rate and Discover Movies