5.0 out of 5 stars 2 Wildlife Sanctuaries - One Strong Message
This movie parallels two different wildlife sanctuaries in two different parts of the world. And because the movie is filmed in 3D, with IMAX quality, viewers feel like they are right there. To top it off, Morgan Freeman is the narrator.

Published on September 28, 2011 by Debbie S. Glade

Published on April 16, 2012 by Logan "Chappy" Alamos

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 Wildlife Sanctuaries - One Strong Message, September 28, 2011
This review is from: IMAX: Born to Be Wild (Blu-ray 3D) (Blu-ray)

In Kenya the story takes you to a refuge for baby elephants managed by elephant expert, Dame Daphne Sheldrick. She and her team rescue baby elephants from the wild who have lost their mothers for various reasons and nurture them until they are old enough and strong enough to be released back into the wilderness. Half way across the earth from Kenya is Borneo, where an orangutan sanctuary - deep in the rain forest - rescues baby orangutans whose mothers have been killed. It is here that primatologist, Dr. Birute Galdikas, and her team, act as mothers to these fragile creatures until they can be released back into their natural habitat.

The cuteness factor of the baby animals in this movie is off the charts. There is a scene where a worker is pushing a group of baby orangutans in a wheel barrel, and everyone in the theater audibly sighed. There is another priceless scene where the primates are soaping themselves up in a bath. The baby elephants are playful and friendly and so darn adorable too. Some of the babies have trouble falling asleep so the workers have to stay with them to help them relax. You'll wish you could take one home with you. I like the way the movie takes you back and forth to the two sanctuaries. The cinematography is spectacular, as it is in all IMAX movies I've ever seen.

Children will learn that, although wild animals are cute and friendly, they are still wild and that must be respected. The rescuers give these babies a second chance to survive and let them be the animals that they naturally are while in captivity. That way when they are set free, they have the greatest chance of survival.

Anyone, young or old, who loves animals will love this IMAX movie.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's beautiful, it's poignant, it's sad; and it lasts 40 minutes., April 16, 2012
This review is from: IMAX: Born to Be Wild (Blu-ray 3D) (Blu-ray)
This really is a great movie for kids and adults alike, albeit it does have some rather sad parts which may affect younger children. It does go beyond (and sets its aims higher) than many nature movies by showing that animals are not just cute, cuddly and goofy, but also sentient beings with feelings and fears which are in real danger from mankind's stupidity and greed.

It also showcases and celebrates two extraordinary women thousands of miles apart who have given their lives to the cause of helping to save two very different species (African elephants and orangutans). I took my three year old son and was proud to point to these women as heroes worthy of praise and emulation.

The only problem that I had with this movie is its very brief running time. I thought that a mistake had been made when the credits started rolling a little after half an hour in. I understand that it was an IMAX movie, which generally run about half the time of features, but thought that for full price movie tickets, it was a tad brief. Please reference IMDB which lists the running time as 40 minutes in contradiction to Amazon's listing of 90 minutes. Unless there has been a lot of footage added (i.e. more than double the original movie), then this appears to be incorrect.

5.0 out of 5 stars A heartwarming film!, February 3, 2012
Pee_Truck (Suburbs of Cleveland, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: IMAX: Born to Be Wild (DVD)
I took my kids to see this back in August 2011 at the Great Lakes Science Center in Cleveland, Ohio.

It was their 1st IMAX experience (they are 4 and 2 years old). They were so patient and were riveted!

I love how it was all about FAMILY. Animals need love and care just as much as humans.

I have been searching online for the video since then. I have it preordered and I can't wait to rewatch it over and over!

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly heart moving documentary, April 25, 2011
I went into seeing Born to Be Wild 3D without knowing much about it. I knew it was about orphaned Orangutans and Elephants, but that was about it. From the beginning I was moved emotionally by this film. One might think by looking at it that this is only for children, but really it applies to anyone and everyone who lives on Earth. The underlying message of the film is that the problems these animals are facing are mostly human induced. It's fitting that this film was released on Earth Day, in order to make people truly understand the radical impact that humanity has on our environment.

Morgan Freeman provides an excellent narration of the events occurring, along with commentary by experts in animal conservation. My favorite scene was when the elephants in Kenya were playing soccer (or football, whatever you want to call it) with the staff taking care of them. I whole heartedly recommend this film to anyone who has an interest in nature, animals, conservation or just wants to see a well done documentary. It left me with such a good feeling afterward, and made me feel spurred to help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Born to be Wild, August 7, 2011
I was fortunate enough to be invited to a special screening of this movie before it was released to the general public. What I saw was incredible and far exceeded my expectations. I absolutely loved it! I was deeply touched by the movie and learned so much about these very intelligent apes and elephants. What these two women do for orangutans and elephants is amazing and self-sacricing. I wish everyone could be as dedicated as they are.

There are very few people in the world who dedicate their lives for the benefit of others. I am sure they would be considered Bodhisattva's in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition. I know that it is always a struggle to raise money to care for the orphans and it is my wish that there was enough support financially and physically so that these two women did not have to shoulder the burden as much as they do.

This movie is well worth seeing and purchasing. I can hardly wait until it is released to the general public and I can buy a copy.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to write this review. It's the best documentary I have ever seen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, April 18, 2012
This review is from: IMAX: Born to Be Wild (DVD)
I am on a wildlife documentary kick right now, and this movie did not disappoint.

(1) The images were absolutely stunning. I truly believe HD was invented to showcase the natural world in all it's glory, and this disc did not disappoint. The sound effects coupled with the visuals were absolutely stunning.

(2) Baby elephants and orangutans are absolutely adorable. Watching then play was captivating. I found myself also being moved with the interactions between the younger and older animals.

(3) Dr. Birute Galdikas and Dame Daphne Sheldrick are modern day saints.

(4) Morgan Freeman said it best, if mankind lets these animals go extinct, then a part of our collective souls goes away with them. We cannot allow this to happen.

(5) I liked this movie so much, I watched it twice in a span of 5hrs (the movie is only 40 minutes long) so this is easily achievable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must own for all you 3d TV owners out there!, April 26, 2012
This review is from: IMAX: Born to Be Wild (Blu-ray 3D) (Blu-ray)
I am BLOWN AWAY by the immersive 3d. I watched this movie at the IMAX when it came out and if you own a 3d set, you owe it to yourself to get this one. It is one of the best 3d Blu-Ray experiences out there. I watched it last night on my LG 65LM6200 and it was almost as immersive of an experience as it was in the theater. Happy watching!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, June 1, 2011
This review is from: IMAX: Born to Be Wild (Blu-ray 3D) (Blu-ray)
Inspiring story, unbelievable production value and well-put together in the editing room.

You don't need me to explain it to you... you need to see it. It is a must see.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, February 1, 2012
Margaret Morton (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: IMAX: Born to Be Wild (DVD)
I saw the 3D version of this film today at the IMAX Theater at the Smithsonian. Gorgeous. Heart-warming. Magnificent.
I want to see it again soon on Blue Ray!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate 3D Blu-ray, December 16, 2013
This review is from: IMAX: Born to Be Wild (Blu-ray 3D) (Blu-ray)
If you're looking for the ultimate 3d blu-ray, Born to be Wild is it ! ! ! The 3d effects in this disc are remarkable. I had a 5-year old watching with me, and when a herd of elephants kicked a soccer ball towards the screen, she jumped up off the floor to catch it. This is as good as it gets in 3d. I'd recommend it for anyone. I now use it to show off the capabilities of my projection system. This is the first 3d blu-ray I'd buy if I had just bought a new system. Absolutely perfect.

IMAX: Born to Be Wild (Blu-ray 3D)
IMAX: Born to Be Wild (Blu-ray 3D) by David Lickley (Blu-ray - 2012)
$34.57 $17.49