Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: IMAX: Fighter Pilot- Operation Red Flag [Blu-ray]
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on October 17, 2008
I purchased this, like my blueray player on a whim. It sat unwatched for a couple of weeks until today. OMG - if you like military aviation - there is nothing better out there. The photography is incredible. Be warned - there are some inflight combat shots that I had to rewind to make sure they were real - they are. It is just that you have never seen it from the perspective that It was shot - amazing stuff. Tip: crank up your surround sound and sub woofer. Some of the take off scenes in particular sound and feel like you are standing right there on the flightlne when they take off - simply awesome .
on March 16, 2016
Viewed on my 80" curved screen 4K TV and 7.2 sound system in my home theater, this is as close as it gets to being on the flight line. Other pilots I have shown this to agree, this DVD is the best they have seen and some of them fly in the air national guard. If interested to flying, this DVD is worth owning.
on June 12, 2015
This is a great movie that give you the thrill of riding in an F-15, as well as a fantastic overview of Air operations of the modern US Air Force. It's especially fun when viewed in Blue-Ray High Def and a really good sound system. You find yourself ducking to avoid the "Bogeys" as they come up from "your six".
I highly recommend this movie.
on December 27, 2009
I am very surprised IMAX made this since I thought they were good at showing the real thing, but I must have been wrong. Some of the scenes, like the A-10s "bombing" the tanks, are fake. I guess it was for safety, but come on, this should be a real movie, not some crazy Hollywood action. I would much rather have seen real strafing and bombing runs from a distance then fake explosions from close. Other things, such as the AWACS scene, look fake too. I have been in the E-3 sentry and know the screens they showed are completely fake. The real plane doesn't look like that at all. There are also some scenes were cockpits somehow instantly change variants. Like in a few scenes, the views kept changing from an F-15C to an F-15E. There are several more issues I found that makes the video look very fake. These might not matter to someone who wants to see an action movie, but for an IMAX movie, they are unacceptable.
on July 13, 2013
This is more like a documentary that is being narrated by a high school kid. Since it is intended as entertainment, it's okay. However, if one is looking for real "turn and burn" HUD video's; this isn't it.
on June 1, 2011
I have participated in RF and I can tell you its a little done up and polished over the real thing but it does capture the essence and what we are there to do. If your interested in how pilots and other operators do real world training then get it!

v/r
Mark
USAF
on December 2, 2011
I just saw the IMAX version of Fighter Pilot at the Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy Center Air and Space Museum in Dulles, Va. Loved it! Sure it's combination of real and Hollywood, but for those of use who will never be able to do the "real thing", it's a good voyeristic experience. One of my kids flies as a USAF Crew Chief on a KC-135, so I enjoyed that short "air refueling" piece, even though the "boom operator" sequence was not so real. Overall, I am buying the Blu-ray DVD because I want to see it again, several times. It's exciting to me. The most flying I do is as a commercial passenger...dull.
on April 16, 2010
I know I didn't direct this, but if I could "enhance" it any, I would add more footage of plane time. I bought this for my son's 3rd birthday, as he emerges into a fan on airplanes. He loved the film. As a guy in his mid 30's...it would not be for me as it was a bit too cheesy of a documentary.
The cinematography is amazing. The views from the air are fantastic. The CGI...not so much. For a three year old boy...it is almost like being there.
on November 3, 2010
A well-done transfer from the Imax format into HD. The film follows a U.S. fighter pilot on his first deployment to Red Flag. My son-in-law has bent my ear many times with Red Flag stories, so it was especially fun to see what he has been talking about.

Great flight scenes that make you feel light in the stomach and nifty computer graphics that show how 3-d air combat is supervised by range officers.
on April 7, 2013
Basically the real version of what Top Gun would be like. Seeing the pilots take off from their respective bases and land at Operation Red Flag in Nevada, with all the different fighter jets was awesome (especially in my surround sound home theater system). Great insight into how the military do train for real theater war scenarios.