Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 17, 2012 10:50:28 AM PDT
J. Delarato says:
Does anyone know if the blu ray for this will shift it's aspect ratio to retain the IMAX footage, like TDK blu ray did? I can't find any mention of it on the product description...I hope it does, as the IMAX scenes on TDK blu looked INCREDIBLE! If anyone has the answer let me know, thanks in advance!

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 12:10:26 AM PDT
I read I believe on IGN that it would. Correct me if I am wrong but IMAX screens are square. So even with the shift we don't get the full IMAX shot? I swore when I saw it it was a square screen. They should go from letter to pillar box though that would probably seem to jarring to most.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 9:52:03 AM PDT
J. Delarato says:
Yeah, I understand that when the ratio shifts on the blu ray that it will still not be FULL Imax...but I just mean where the IMAX shots open up to fill the entire screen on the TV. Did you see TDK blu ray? I mean like the way the did it on that disc. Not full IMAX, but when there are IMAX shots, the ratio opens up a bit and the picture looks far more detailed and crisp. I very much enjoyed that and it wasn't jarring to me at all!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2012 7:51:39 PM PDT
Joe says:
Dark Knight had the IMAX footage available separate from the main movie in it's original aspect ratio.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 3:11:32 PM PDT
J. Delarato says:
Maybe on the DVD version, but TDK Blu ray had the footage integrated into the movie.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 1:46:58 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 15, 2012 1:47:30 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 1:48:23 AM PST
kart says:
Yes, the IMAX scenes in TDKR Bluray will fill the entire screen of your TV or Computer as seen with TDK Bluray. The IMAX scenes will have greater resolution and so greater clarity. The best part is TDKR has 72 min of IMAX footage compared to 30 min in TDK. So, get excited for the visual feast!!

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 8:54:04 PM PST
Obiturized says:
Yes, I liked the IMAX touch on The Dark Knight blu ray, those shots of Gotham City looked fabulous, I'm expecting the same with this one, as I'll be seeing the film for the first time, I didn't see it in theatres.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 10:18:53 AM PST
Watcher says:
Ditto on all counts.

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 8:28:01 PM PST
I have a Cinemascope screen to correctly show the movie without black bars, the insertion on and off of IMAX squarish shots ruins the presentation because I have to constantly put the projector out of its Cinemascope setting for each shot otherwise the taller IMAX images spill over the top and bottom of the screen.

To avoid that I was forced to see the whole movie with black bars just because of the continuos IMAX shots inserted throughout the entire movie. I know that most people have HDTV sets that are 16x9 and will see the black bars anyway and the IMAX shots would use the whole screen, but not for Cinemascope home theaters projecting a movie that supose to be Cinemascope.

When I saw the movie at the local theater I do not remember if the IMAX shots forced the aspect ratio of the projection to be adlusted, I believe it was whole wide screen all the time. Perhaps the IMAX theaters did it, but there should two versions then.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 1:51:25 PM PST
John Lemon says:
Why is it a big deal to people that it does this? You don't want it how it was in the theater? It does this in IMAX.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 4:01:40 PM PST
I did not attend the IMAX theater version if it was one, I frankly prefer a Cinemascope aspect ratio over an IMAX version of any movie because the wider peripheral effect immerses me into the movie much more than a larger vertical drama on a squarish IMAX presentation. Many people may prefer the opposite and is a matter of taste.

In the IMAX version, when is not using the whole squarish image, half of the movie will show with top/bottom black bars to depict the Cinemascope aspect ratio, and the image would be relatively smaller.

I rather have the same aspect ratio from start to finish on any movie, no changes in image size, no distractions from the actual content, but as I said before when the theater, local or home, has been designed with a Cinemascope screen with projector lenses for that purpose, I do not want to be forced to see black bars that the system is designed for the viewer not to see, just because at times the director wants to insert huge IMAX shots that would force the projection system to manually be taken out the Cinemascope mode, and back again when the IMAX shots are over.

It is very distracting, very inconvenient, a misuse of the Cinemascope virtue of a shorter image with wider peripheral effect, to the point of feeling not to watch the movie again, unless of course, you are an IMAX fan that find non-IMAX presentations lacking the impact you need. Again, a matter of choice.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 4:07:47 PM PST
John Lemon says:
All movies have black bars if it wants to keep it like the theater. I can only think of a few movies that doesn't have bars, and they slightly stretch the picture to do that.

IMAX is a huge improvement. In both picture quality and sound. This movie is one of few made for an IMAX. I'm hoping they release it again to IMAX.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 6:25:59 PM PST
I do not think you are reading my comments in the context I meant, or perhaps do not understand what I am explaining.

I am not criticizing the existence or the need for black bars, I agree with you in that most movies are made in a wide aspect ratio that would result in top/bottom black bars of some kind when viewed on a 1.78:1 16x9 HDTV.

If you, like most people, have a 16x9 shape HDTV and you are seeing a Cinemascope movie which image is more rectangular (shorter) you are bound to see black bars most of the time.

However, as I said before, because most movies are filmed in wider Cinemascope and I like Cinemascope I built a home-theater for the Cinemascope wider aspect ratio, as many home-theaters are, with screens and projectors with anamorphic lens or special settings, and also as local theaters, so I can see those many Cinemascope movies "without" the black bars, because the screen is wider and shorter, matching the film aspect ratio.

Again, when you show a movie that was shot in Cinemascope it will show perfectly fitting to all the edges of my wider screen, the same with the local theater, but not your TV, you will see top/bottom black bars.

If I show a regular 16x9 movie or an IMAX squarish movie I will have left/right black pillars on my wider screen, and that is fine, the movie is made that way and I respect it, I close the screen curtains on the sides to cover the unused screen area, but that is "FOR THE WHOLE MOVIE", no more changes, I sit and relax viewing that aspect ratio from beginning to end.

But when you have a movie that was shot in wider Cinemascope like Batman and then suddenly the director changes the aspect ratio to squarish IMAX (or anything else for the matter) in some scenes it forces me to change the projector and the curtains just for that scene, that scene is over and then I have to change the projector and curtains back as they were, otherwise the IMAX scenes would spill over the top/bottom of the screen.

If half of the movie is Cinemascope and the other half is IMAX "with mixed shots" it becomes unpleasant to view in a Cinemascope theater made for Cinemascope movies, so it forces me to see it as a small image with black bars on about half of the screen.

Most people have 16:9 HDTVs and they would show top/bottom black bars on the scenes filmed in Cinemascope (creating the impression to be relatively smaller) and would show full screen (or almost full) the squarish IMAX film shots, switching back and for, they have no choice.

If you have a HDTV 16:9 you have to see black bars on the Cinemascope shots, and the IMAX shots may impress you better because they fill the screen, no black bars on them, but that would not be the experience on one of the new widescreen TVs or Cinemascope home/commercial theater designed to see Cinemascope without black bars as Cinemascope should be and was made to be seen.

IMAX maybe good for you, and as I said, it is a matter of taste and choice, many find it too dramatic and headache producer, others may tolerate it better but find it to be too high for its width. The bottom line is that everyone should respect the choice of all. The same with 3D.

But when I paid for a commercial theater movie as Cinemascope (ONLY, no IMAX) I expect to see it in Cinemascope (ONLY) on the Blu-ray I purchase, reason by which my message was "there should be two versions", you will obviously choose the IMAX, I won't because my Cinemascope theater is wider than your 16x9 TV.

Regarding sound there is no difference on the lossless multichannel tracks of the IMAX shots and the Cinemascope shots in the Blu-ray version.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 10:38:01 PM PST
kart says:
Yes, I agree it's a matter of choice. I personally like the IMAX technology. It gives you one of the best movie watching experience. The only reason I watached TDKR 4 times in theaters is for the IMAX experience. On another note, I didn't like 3D. It took a while for me to get used to while watching The Hobbit. The next thing I did is checked if a 2D version of the movie is in theaters; but unfortunately the director intended the movie to be watched in 3D only. Similarly, Nolan and Warner bros. wanted their movie to be seen that way, the Bluray was also made with variable aspect ratio intentionally. Since majority of the Bluray purchasers have 16:9 screens, we find it enjoyable and their decision justified. Minority few might have hard time - everything in life isn't perfect :)

Few need a 2D version of 3D movies in theaters and some prefer regular format to IMAX or at least a constant aspect ratio in disc releases. The only thing we can hope is such things are available soon and the technology in film making advances where an entire movie can be shot in IMAX without constrains.

P.S.: Wally Pfister wanted to shoot the whole TDKR in IMAX. Nolan, didn't support the idea since IMAX cameras make too much noise making it difficult to record the dialogues of the actors. Hence, only the actions scenes were shot in IMAX.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Oct 17, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Dark Knight Rises [Blu-ray]
The Dark Knight Rises [Blu-ray] by Christian Bale (Blu-ray - 2012)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (3,725)