5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Buy
I purchased the ETQIN2500I for use at my cabin. This unit exceeded my expectations,
not only does it run all my lighting, coffee maker and, TV maker at the same time but can also use the microwave with everything is turned on. It is very quiet, now I do not have to close a window to watch TV.
After adding oil and gas the unit started on the 3rd pull.I have used...
Published on June 10, 2010 by James D. Pool

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this generator
Published on November 18, 2011 by action22

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Buy, June 10, 2010
This review is from: ETQ IN2500I 2,500 Watt 125cc 4-Stoke Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Lawn & Patio)
After adding oil and gas the unit started on the 3rd pull.I have used this more over 100 hrs. so far and never had to pull more than 3 times to start. Weighing about 70 lbs. it is easily portable.

5.0 out of 5 stars good gengerator at a great price, May 24, 2010
Great buy for this price. The noise of this generator is a little bit louder than my old honda, but the price is 1/3 of Honda. The generator started up without too much effort and ran steadily, all in all, i am satisfied with this genertor.

4.0 out of 5 stars Generator works great/customer service SUX, February 18, 2011
I purchased this item and followed instructions to the letter for the first start. Could not get started because i could not locate the chock lever. Well it was broken off and i had to remove the side panel and get a screw driver to set the chock. The machine started and starts everytime so far on the first pull. I contacted the customer center of EASTERN TOOLS several times w/o a reply. I called and they ask if I could replace the part and if so they would ship me the part, well several messages sent to them again with no reply or no part. The generator works great but when you spend around $700 for this item just be prepared to be on your own. I wish I had spent the extra money for a quiter and better service machine like a Honda! BUYER BEWARE OF EASTERN TOOLS CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this generator, November 18, 2011
When I recieved this generator the first thing I did was check for a broken choke lever because some of the others reviews have stated theirs were broken. Sure enough no choke lever and the front cover was broken. I decided to put gas and oil in the thing to see how loud it was after about pulling my arm off I decided there was a problem. I removed the cover to check for spark, and lo and behold the spark plug is in two pieces, broken. I replace the plug and start the generator, a little loud but runs ok. I call the number for customer service and talk to a guy who says he will send me the parts within a week or so, I waited three weeks and called them back, now my parts are on back order. I waited another two weeks and called again this time he says he thinks the parts just came in and they are in a box out back he will ship them. Guess what, two more weeks no parts I call again and I'm quite upset this time now he tells me to send the generator back for replacement( they did pay the shipping). In about two weeks another generator shows up... A USED ONE.. I'm thinking they just repaired the generator I had before but the choke lever is still missing, turns out it is a different generator all together. My advice is save the headaches and spend a little more for a Honda, at least you know what you are getting.

2.0 out of 5 stars UPDATE - won't run room A/C unit, April 10, 2011
Peter Pisciotta "Peter P" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
9/18/2012 UPDATE - have used this a few times. It will not run a room-sized window air conditioner (newer Energy Star model; 950 Watts, 8000 Btu rating). Runs for about 4-5 minutes, then shuts down. On an older model Window A/C, it won't even run it. I'm disappointed as this is rated at 2000 watts continuous, so there must be something with the compressor start-up that bogs it down.

I ordered this as power-outage backup in Florida (for some reason, my neighborhood is prone to longish power outages). When you order this, get a quart of oil and some gasoline so you have it when it arrives (10-30 oil; regular unleaded gas). I would have had this running in no time had I read the instructions - there is an on/off switch for the engine on the instrument panel; and an on/off dial on the side case below the pull-start (this is the fuel shutoff, which I didn't realize). It's not as quiet as I had hoped, but not a deal-breaker for the price. Have started it several times since purchase and it starts on the first or second pull.

I selected this unit because I decided on an inverter-generator instead of a traditional generator, mostly due to the fuel efficiency of this unit, but also because it provides very clean power. Now, when you need power during an outage, I suppose the cost of operation is not the top concern, but I decided I wouldn't want more than a few gallons of gasoline hanging around - this burns around a quart an hour; traditional generators (albeit of larger capacity) would burn almost double that. BTW - it comes with battery-charge clips, though would be nice if there was an onboard storage compartment.

For the money, this is a fine generator. I'd have given 5-stars if it were quieter. It's not objectionably loud, but you will hear I hear it running from inside the house. For an RV in a campground, your neighbors will definitely hear this puppy hummin'

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away from this, September 21, 2011
Stay away from this product! I ordered one which arrived missing the fuel filter. I contacted ETQ and they told me that they ordered one for me. I waited two weeks and didn't receive it so I contacted them again and was informed it was on back order and wouldn't ship for a minimum of two months. I asked what my options were and they said wait for the part, or ask for a replacement unit 'which will also take some time'. I recommend you check the other reviews very carefully, especially regarding the actual load this can handle.

Follow-up: Amazon allowed me to return the generator. It cost me about $40 in shipping fees, but I'm glad to be rid of it. I think replacement parts if needed would be very difficult to obtain. Also, ETQ claims to have a nationwide service network but I couldn't find anyone that services them. Maybe they meant nationwide in China.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Purchse, October 26, 2010
Used it on a camping trip for the first time and it ran great. It ran for 12 hours on one tank of gas. We had to fans and lights plugged into the generator. Very quiet running. Easy stating.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quiet. Issues with startup power., September 27, 2011
J. Lam (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
Would have gave it 5 but I do have some issue with this. This little generator is quiet. Not as quiet as the Honda. Cost like 1/3 of Honda so I can't complaint about that part. Do have a few complaints thought.
1. Start-up power is not as high as claimed. Started the generator, let it ran for a few mins as sugguested in the manual. plug in a cotton candy machine, which draws 9 amps max or 1100W. As soon as I flip the switch on the cotton candy machine, the motor on this gen reved up and auto shutdown due to overload. It shouldn't have happened like that. I was using less than half of the stated power. The cotton candy machine worked fine on a 15 amp outlet at home. So there is nothing wrong with it. I guess it just didn't like the surge being too high too fast. Finally got it working after like 20 tries both with econ on and off (reset gen, restart, turn on cotton candy machine, gen stalled. I have similar issue with a sump pump too but that wasn't as bad.

2. There are a few status LED on the panel but wish it had a power led to indicate power at the outlet. Sometimes, when it overload, the invertor would shutdown the power at the outlet but the engine would still run. Which can be a pain after you drag an extension cord like 100 ft and had to go back to gen to check power. I end up plugging in a GFCI tester in the outlet so that I know there were power coming out.

3. Changing oil or filling oil is a pain. Not much room around the oil plug area. Not big enough to fit even a small funnel. I had to cut a piece of 3/8 tube and attached that to the end of funnel to add oil in. Pouring oil out from eng is a pain too.. Try tiling 75 lb with 1 hand while holding a funnel with another hand. If you are not careful, you will end up spilling oil inside the housing. Good luck cleaning that up.......

Had no problem with appliance at home like fridge, freezer box, tv...etc
ETQ suppport is useless..... don't bother calling or emailing.

4.0 out of 5 stars HIT for me, November 7, 2011
As many reviewers said this is a Hit or Miss case. For me it is a HIT case. I used it for six days during Oct 2011 snowstorm in Northeast. Used for about eight to ten hours each day. It always started in one or two pulls. Ran without any problems. Was using it to run gas (hot air) furnace, 25 cu refrigerators, few lights, and a 52' LCD TV. All were running at the same time. Few points to be careful about:

1. When starting cold wait for one or two minutes to warm up before plugging in. Switch on only one appliance at a time. It will not handle surge for more than one unit (specially furnace and refrigerator together). Otherwise runs fine.
2. Keep an eye on Oil level and its condition. It is very sensitive to both. If either of te two is not right it will stop after few minutes.
3. Oil draining and refilling is challenging - messy
4. It is noisy

Overall: I will recommend it and if needed buy it again. Gave it four star for last two points

1.0 out of 5 stars Genrator, November 1, 2011
Product arrive damage. Fuel line was too short and broke. Had to have it repaired to use the product.Engine runs bad. Need to use the choke constanly to keep it running. Engine consumes oil and need to be fill before each use.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›