IOGEAR 3-Port HD Audio/Video Switch with Remote GHDSW3 (Black)
Price:$21.94 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 5, 2011
I bought this HDMI switch because my new LED TV only had 2 HDMI and I wanted to run my PC, PS3 and 360 through it. I hooked everything up, fired up my 360, and nothing happened; my TV was not getting a signal from the box. I fired up the PS3, and suddenly the signal was there. After much experimentation, I learned the switch was not receiving enough power from my devices to send the signal through to the TV unless I had two of the three devices on at a time. The switch's manual states that you do not need the adapter, but you might find one necessary if your devices do not put out enough power, and trying to order one is no easy feat.

I will say that when I had two devices working at once, the signal was excellent. I just don't want to be in a position where I have to run multiple devices just to use one. I have ordered a new HDMI switch which comes with an adapter from Monoprice, and I will be returning this one assuming the new one works.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 3, 2011
Verified Purchase
I bought, connected and spent a day with another 5 X 1 HDMI switch and could not get it to work. It would not sync nor pass the cable tv's set top box, HDMI signal, (but worked with some of my other gear).

This little jewel worked right out of the box! Happy, happy... I need more ports than this provides, but when I'm ready to buy another switch, It will be IOGEAR. The HDCP compliance is a huge deal. With the previous switch that did not work, I could get the audio signal through the switch, but only a visual message on my HDTV that mentioned "not HDCP compliant". This IOGEAR switch IS HDCP compliant, as mentioned on the box and tech info.

It's powered thru the HDMI cables, so no bulky transformer or any power cable, and recognizes which equipment is powered up. If I have 2 (or more) components powered, I have to manually switch to the component I want to use, but the remote makes this easy. Now, on to provisioning my Harmony remote to learn this switcher's numbers.
on March 19, 2011
I bought this product to use with 2 PC's and one HDMI Monitor. Item works great. This switch box works without requiring an external power source. I tried 2 externally-powered KVM Switch Boxes prior to this one. Both previous KVM Switch Boxes did not work as there are known industry-wide issues regarding HDMI compatibility when using various models of HDMI Switchers. However, this model from IOGear worked perfectly. I bought a spare box for future use since this one works and with HDMI Switchers, it is literally a "trial and error" situation when searching for one that will switch between 2 HDMI devices into a common HDMI Monitor/Display.
on August 4, 2013
Verified Purchase
For the price I thought it was a bargain considering it is an IoGear product. I've never had a problem with products of theirs in my past the switches and KVMs have been great. However this product is not great it's not even good or acceptable. From the moment I plugged it in I had problems. This product does not support a Directv Box and Xbox 360 being plugged in at once. To do so you will need an ac adapter which is not supplied. IoGear is happy to supply one after you contact their support and wait 3 weeks for it to show. However now that I have said ac adapter the problems have not stopped. When watching my satellite tv the box will decide to click over to another port when other devices are off only to say no signal and click back to the directv box.

In short this product should not be bought nor should it even be on the market with how many issues it has had. I have never created such a review giving a product a poor review. Sadly today is the day.
on March 21, 2012
Verified Purchase
I bought one of these and it works pretty well BUT, if you power down the other devices except one, it stops working.
You have to leave at least two devices powered up for this thing to function.
It draws power through the HDMI cables from the devices connected to it. The TV set on the output side doesn't count, it's passive and provides no power backwards to the switch.

I have a Dish network tuner, a HTPC system and an FTA satellite tuner connected to this thing, it then feeds into a 4x1 splitter (1 in, 4 out) to send video to TV's around the house.
I don't want to leave the HTPC powered up all the time or the FTA tuner either. Most of the time I just want the Dish tuner on.
But if I turn the other machines off, the LED gets very dim and it ceases to pass the signal through. Once you power up any other device, it comes back to life and works fine.
It doesn't matter which ONE device is left powered up, none of them will power this device alone.

They say it doesn't need an external power supply? BS!! If that's true then why is there a jack on the thing for external 5vdc ?? Hmmmmmmmm?????????

My problem is, I can't find a 5vdc power adapter for this thing with a plug that tiny. I don't have a clue what size plug that thing takes except it's tiny.
The manufactures website has no information and they don't sell adapters for it that I can find. The crummy instructions in Engrish have nothing of value in them either.

I give it three stars because when you have two devices powered up, it works great. I would give it 4 stars if they would of at least offered a power supply for it and not LIE that it doesn't need one or even tell you where you can buy one or what kind to search for. And if they would have included a power supply for it I would have given it 5 stars for an excellent gadget.

Good luck finding a power supply for this thing. If you do, please post a link where you can get one. A power supply should cost less than $5 including shipping.

So be warned, it will not function at all if you power down other devices and leave only one device powered up. That can be worked around by leaving two devices powered up at all times OR, if you're really lucky, you find an external power supply for it..
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 27, 2011
Verified Purchase
Well after looking for a cheap HDMI switcher i found this one. After good reviews i decided to get it. SO here is my simple review.

PROS:

Good price, 3 Inputs, Remote control, Works well with video games systems and some dvd players.

CONS: It is not compatible with every device you might have.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tested the device with my HD cable box from dish network and it just did not work. The lights would just blink off and on and i get no signal to my tv.

I tried it with my basic 5 disc DVD player and it also did not work.

I tried it with an xbox 360 and a playstation 3 and it worked fine.

I tried it with my BluRay from LG and it also worked fine.

I needed this device mainly for my cable box, Bluray and xbox so i was disappointed. My cable box being HD it was the main device i needed it to work on so i will be returning it.

I did call customer service and they recommended i get the on that is 40-50 bucks that has a power adapter.

It is not compatible with every device, so be aware.
on April 25, 2012
I have an older HD TV with only one HDMI input, so I ordered this online to plug in multiple HD sources. I was a bit concerned when it arrived with no power adapter and a claim that it could draw enough power from the devices plugged in to the inputs. I got more concerned when read various online reviews (which I suppose I should've done in the first place) and found reports of it not working unless it had devices plugged into all three inputs, with all of them turned on - or in some cases, not even working in that scenario.

Thankfully, though, those reviews don't reflect my experience. I've tried it with three different input devices - BluRay player, Playbook tablet, and laptop - and as long as at least one of them is powered up, it works great. Even if only one of them is hooked up, and the other two input ports are empty, it works fine, so it's not depending on any phantom power from the devices that aren't turned on. A great buy, especially since most competing products seem to be priced at $50 and up.
on September 17, 2011
Verified Purchase
I had a new Sony Bravia TV with only one HDMI input but I have three separate video sources: Apple TV, Blu Ray, and my cable. This little gadget allows me to switch to each input source. That's what it does and it does it fine.
on May 25, 2013
Verified Purchase
Has intermittent video noise. sound cuts out then makes popping sounds. Tried two types of HDMI cables had the same problems
on May 4, 2013
Verified Purchase
We ordered this product at the end of February. It died May 4th--the 4th was not strong with this one. Not worth the money.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations