on November 13, 2013
Verified Purchase
What a great little multi-purpose widget.

It's a wireless access point for Wi-Fi devices with no ethernet port (my phones, Macbook Pro)
It's a Wi-Fi repeater, creating its own little subnet of devices, and sharing a wireless connection to the outside world.
It's a portable power supply/phone charger
It's an SD card reader, USB stick reader, or USB disk interface for my android phone, or any other computer attached by wireless or wired connection.
Heck, it's even a USB-SD converter.
It's a NAS device: I can mount its two disks (SD card and USB device) from any computer on my wired or wireless network.
It's fast: as a Wi-Fi access point it easily keeps up with my 25 Mbps cable internet service, and can transfer files from the SD card at > 5 MB/s.
Yeah, it's a media server too.

Can't park your "personal files" SD card in your work laptop because it sticks out? (I'm talking to you Apple!) Just park it in this device - it appears as just another disk on your Mac, plus your phone can see it at the same time.

Want to read a Mac-formatted USB disk on your PC? Just plug it in.

Don't want to mess with registering a half-dozen devices with every new Wi-Fi location? Just let them talk through this, and just change this one's Wi-Fi. All your devices remain in a "home" network, and can talk to each other and to its common disks.

Want to bring along a disk full of files/movies/songs to share or present at a party or meeting? Just bring it and turn it on.

Stuff to be aware of:
- It's got hours of battery life, but I leave it plugged into a USB supply while at my desk.
- It draws more than 500 mA while operating, so your USB supply must provide more than that (they recommend 1A, and provide a 1A 12V car adapter). If you operate it while plugged into your laptop USB jack or a weenie phone charger it will still draw some power from its internal battery, eventually draining it. If off, it will fully charge from any USB source, but it might take a while.
- Give it BOTH an access password and a wireless security password right away - otherwise access is wide open to anyone on wireless or on wired ethernet.
- It's a slippery little bar of soap. It loves to go sliding off onto the floor. Maybe add some rubber feet.
- It runs quite warm for such a small device. I wouldn't go leaving it run in a closed bag.
- It's pretty easy to momentarily bump the "on" button while (say) packing it away, which puts it into "power supply" mode. The Wi-Fi etc. aren't on, so it will last days before draining the battery in this mode, but still something to watch for.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 30, 2014
Verified Purchase
I was looking for a way to watch video files wirelessly on my iPad, without having to purchase a new external hard drive or use my computer to stream the video. As a side note, for those who do want to stream their video from a computer to an iOS device, Air Video works great and is pretty easy to set up.

I researched the various wireless hubs out there, and as I went through them, none satisfied all the requirements I needed, until I came across the MediaShair. In particular, I needed a hub that I could plug a Mac formatted external hard drive into (Mac OS Extended Journaled, to be specific), something nearly all other hubs seem unable to deal with. I was also looking for a hub that could stream large video files (which the MediaShair does with the firmware update), and one that would operate while charging. Since the MediaShair ticked all those boxes, and was a reasonable price to boot, I decided to try it out.

First impressions out of the box were nice, the device is fairly small, and looks nice with the glossy white, although that will make it more prone to small surface scratches. A grippy bottom might have been nice. If you have white Apple devices, it'll fit in nicely. The indicators are mostly useful, although it would be nice to have a better battery remaining indicator, as all the device itself does is have the battery icon turn red when the battery is getting low.

Actually being able to watch my videos is where things got complicated. I'm in my 20s, and consider myself pretty tech savvy, but I'm not necessarily network savvy, and there was quite a bit of frustration in figuring everything out. I can't imagine my much less tech savvy parents figuring out how to use this device on their own. Once I eventually did get everything set up, the MediaShair was perfect for my needs. However, I can see people being frustrated with this device and ultimately not using it or returning it because of the setup difficulties, which is a bit of a shame, so in order to prevent that and hopefully help out anyone who's feeling frustrated and to make things easier for those who are just now purchasing the MediaShair, here's a guide as to what worked for me:

First off, if you're an Android user, things appear to be infinitely easier: download the MediaShair Android app, open app, open files within the app or have the app open the files in your 3rd party Android app of choice. This guide is more for those looking to stream video to an iOS device, but some of the initial setup might be useful for Android users too.

1: Download firmware update, if your MediaShair doesn't come with the most up to date version. This update can be found by going on the support section of the IOGEAR website and searching for MediaShair drivers. The firmware update comes with clear instructions on how to install it, so there shouldn't be any trouble there.

2: Setup your MediaShair. This needs to be done while connected to the MediaShair wireless network, with an internet browser, or using the MediaShair app for your iOS or Android device. To access the setup/settings on a browser, you will need to type in 10.10.10.254 in the address bar. Once you're in, you can set a password for the wireless, as well as put in the information for the wireless connection you use to connect to the internet, so that when you're on the MediaShair network, you still have internet access. An important note if you're connecting through the browser is that the default username and password to access the MediaShair (different than the password you might set for accessing the network) is Username: admin, and a blank password. The full length manual walks you through all this pretty well, and is available in the support section of the IOGEAR website.

3: Actually streaming video. This is where my frustrations started. I plugged my hard drive in, connected to the MediaShair network, and opened the iOS app. The app was easy enough to navigate, if not all that visually pleasant. However, I quickly discovered that the app was unable to play the majority of my video files. As has been noted in previous reviews, this is due to a limitation on Apple's part: the MediaShair iOS app only plays video files that Apple natively supports on iOS, so it won't play files like AVIs and MKVs. One solution would be to convert all your video files into a format that Apple does support on iOS, such as MPEG-4, but if you have a lot of video files, that would be time consuming, processor intensive, as well as fairly tedious. I wanted a better solution.

The MediaShair supports SMB, something that I am not well versed in using, but practically it turned out to be a way to have 3rd party iOS media apps find the MediaShair device on the network and connect to it. There are quite a few iOS apps that can play non native video files, although do keep in mind that it's more of a drain on battery, as it has to convert the file on the fly. This led to the next challenge: finding the right iOS app to use, and where I hope to spare some of you a bit of trouble. I tried connecting to the MediaShair through various 3rd party media players, usually by navigating to a network section of the media player, and typing in 10.10.10.254 under connect to server to access the device, and many spit out errors. Whether this is an issue with the apps or MediaShair, or some combination of both, I cannot speak to.

For a while I used an app called PlayerXtreme, which was able to connect to the device and access the hard drive. It did an ok job playing my video files, but sometimes it would have issues with buffering and lag, or would freeze altogether or suddenly stop being able to access the drive, but I put up with it because it was the best I could find.

Recently, I came across a much nicer app, that works significantly better while connected to the MediaShair. It's called nPlayer, and the developer is Newin Inc. You do have to pay for it, but for a fiver it's worth it if you really want things to go smoothly with you MediaShair. I've played 5+ GB MKV files with it, and it runs very smoothly. The larger files will naturally take longer to initially buffer, but once they're playing, I haven't noticed lag, and I'm running it on an iPad 3. The only caveat I've come across is that there's no support for DTS audio, which some MKV files use, but very few iOS apps do support DTS audio, due to high licensing fees. Files with DTS audio can be converted to a compatible audio type, and a quick Google search shows shows quite a few tutorials for doing so. Besides the ease of use with your MediaShair, there's some other great features in nPlayer, like subtitle support, volume boost, and gestures, so if you choose to download the app, it's worth reading about nPlayer in more detail to learn how to do other neat things with it. Or just play around with the app and you'll probably discover most things on your own. The developers appear to be based out of South Korea, but from what I can tell are very good at supporting and updating the app on a regular basis.

Here's how to setup your MediaShair with nPlayer:

1: Make sure the drive you want to use is plugged in to the MediaShair, and that you're connected to the MediaShair network.
2: Open app, and navigate to the Network tab, from there click the tab that says SMB/CIFS
3: Click "Scan Network", and it should automatically find the device, and show up as IOGEAR
4: Click IOGEAR and your disk volumes will show up. Click a volume, and you'll be presented with an Edit Server box
5: Edit Server will have the address and title filled in, but you will have to put in the username and password. This is not the wireless network password (as I initially thought), but the device username and password, which you use if you access the MediaShair through a brower. If you have not changed it from the defaults, the username will be admin, and there is no password. From there, you're all ready to go, and should be able to navigate through files and folders. If you go back out to the network menu and again click on SMB/CIFS, you'll see IOGEAR listed under Scan Network, and you just click that from then on, with no more need to enter the username or password, unless you choose to set a password lock. If you do turn password lock on, you will have to enter the device password, which is blank as a default. You can change the device password in the 10.10.10.254 browser MediaShair interface. Remember, that password is different than a wireless network password.

Hopefully I've made things much easier for anyone looking to use a MediaShair to stream video to an iOS device. I can't speak much to other aspects, like document viewing or MP3 playing, but I was able to view documents just fine in the official MediaShair app, and nPlayer has a nice music interface. I have not used the MediaShair to upload or download files on to my iOS device, nor have I used it to create a wireless network from a wired one or had multiple people using it as a hub to watch video. The full manual does seem to explain those aspects pretty well, if you are planning on using them. I'm really happy with the device now that I've figured out how to make it do exactly what I wanted, but I deducted a star for all the trouble I had to go through to get there in the first place.

A few other notes:

I keep my MediaShair plugged in, as I am using it at home, but when I did try it out with the just the internal battery, the charge didn't last all that long with my hard drive plugged in. This is to be expected, as the spinning of a hard drive has a detrimental effect on power consumption. If you are traveling with the MediaShair and want to minimize power usage, I'd recommend using SD cards or flash drives. You will probably also be more disappointed about the lack of battery remaining information than I am.

If my hard drive is plugged into the MediaShair for a long period of time without activity, it goes to sleep. I believe this is due to a setting on my hard drive and not the MediaShair, but it's worth noting. When this happens, I have to unplug the drive and replug it in order to get it working again. Again, perhaps better to use a flash drive or SD card, given how much the price per GB has gone down.

Encrypted or password protected drives will not work, as there's no way to enter the username and password information.

If you want unmount your drive, there is a way to do that in the MediaShair app, but it's somewhat hidden. You will need to tap the three vertical dots on the right side of the screen, and there should be an option to eject the drive. Turning the MediaShair device off and unplugging he drive seems to work fine too, and I haven't had disk corruption issues when doing it either way.

In general, if you have any problems with a drive not showing up, you'll want to turn the MediaShair off, unplug the drive, plug it back in and turn the MediaShair back on.

Hope this helps y'all, and I'll try to answer questions anyone might have to best of my ability!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 28, 2013
Pro:
* Small, Solid box. That has so much potential.
* It takes many file formats: HFS, NTFS, FAT32, exFAT
* Can be use as access point through wired connection

Cons:
* (FIXED)And this is a big one for me. Even though it will be able to save large video file (>4GB) through exFAT or NTFS, but its SAMBA service can not recognize the large file. It will report the wrong file size and can not play the large video files!! The native IOS apps can see the large file correctly but it is useless because it does not play MKV on iOS. I tried using Windows to play video files through its SAMBA service, and it does NOT work either. I am sure this is something IOGEAR will be able fixed if they are dedicated to this product.Please fix it.
* Performance is not optimal for network access
USB Reader performance ~20MB/s
SAMBA wired performance ~5MB/s
SAMBA wireless performance ~2MB/s

EDIT: They finally come up with the fixed firmware 2.000.012 and it has fixed file size issue over SAMBA. I have updated reviews to 4 stars!
download here: iogear.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2528/~/gwfrsdu%3A-mediashair-firmware-update
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 26, 2014
I take a lot of pictures and even more large sized videos so buying more SD Cards is not an option. I can do almost everything from my iPhone or iPad except backing up my SD Cards to SSD/HDD and for that alone had to carry my laptop as dedicated photo bank solutions were flawed and expensive. Keep in mind speed is a real concern. I need to backup 64G easily possibly even more a day and even on my Mac to backup 64G it would require an hour to do so.
With the emergence of this device type I saw a chance to finally ditch the laptop (especially since carry-on restrictions are getting crazy , common 5kg limit???) I read up on the Ravpower Filehub, the Kingston MLW221 Mobilelite they came close and helped me realize what I was needed even more.
Ravpower FIlehub has great reviews but I was concerned about the 3MB/s SD Card read speed. This would mean 64G will need 6hrs to backup!! Some have mentioned not being able to read of exFAT formatted SD Cards which is a must for me
Kingston Mobilelite is not much smaller but battery is. The limit of 3 simultaneous users (vs 5 for Ravpower and 7 for IOGear) would tip me off to a lowend chipset possibly giving me even worse read/write performance but before I even got to that determination I found a reviewer loosing his content and it dropped out of this race immediately

In comes the IOGear Mediashair. The following are some key features that sets it apart for me
- Smallest yet decent battery @2600mAh
- supports exFAT and even Mac HFS+
- Ethernet port for wired routing as well as wireless
- Supporting 7 simultaneous users there was hope that this may be fast enough but I could not find any reviews testing this the fuel transfer speed
- More importantly I always had respect for IOGear hardware design in my work related experience.
..... so I took the dive. This baby managed to copy 10GB in 15min so extrapolated 64GB backup from SD to my SSD would be a manageable 1.5hrs!! With this device in hand my game plan is to backup my 32GB SDs to my SSD while on the run and backup my 64GB SD to a HDD back in the hotel.
- I am using SSD as backup throughout the day so I don't have to worry about damaging the drive and corrupting my data due to movement and vibrations
- I still have to perform a battery test but I can use any of my battery packs to keep it powered throughout the day
Cons that I have encountered so far:
- there is no single-button backup like some NAS have, at least give me a soft button in the app
- if I use the iOS app to perform backup I found out that if I close the app and the iPad/iPhone the device will complete the current file copy but stop the process until I open the app again... really you expect me to leave it on?
- Luckily I found out that when I use the web interface to copy a folder the process will not be interrupted due to me existing the browser or shutting down the iDevice. (sorry did not test Android app)
- one User account management? I don't need a lot just give me one guest account so I can actually share with 6 others but lock them out of settings as well as preventing them from deleting anything by mistake or purposely
- user interface is just not on par with todays modern apps. GUI design can greatly improve usability and should not be ignored. As is it feels clumpsy and too threaded like an old computer OS
- oh no battery level indicator. The power LED will turn red but I have no clue how much power I have left so I will have to have a large power pack connected just to be safe or until I have a better idea on power consumption... % level indicator in the app would be nice
My complaints can mostly be resolved through software so hopefully we will see at least a few of these taken care of
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 6, 2014
Verified Purchase
This device is extremely versatile and easy to set up, and features like samba support and the ability to read the most-used file systems on portable drives, the ability to act as a wireless access point for a wired connection, and a 12-volt/5-volt (@1 amp) car adapter make it a cinch for taking it on-the-go.

Things it does:

-Allows you to take a variety of movies, music, and documents on the go, allowing access by a large number of devices (android and iOS devices, laptops, etc.) via wireless. Your capacity is only limited by the size SD card or portable USB storage you hook up to it.
-Allows you to serve up a wireless access to a wired connection (like, say, the one in your hotel room) that all your wireless devices can use.
-Suvives on battery for hours while serving up wireless access to files, your LAN and the internet (via wireless bridge...it obviously doesn't feature mobile broadband built-in).
-Works in conjunction with IOGEAR's free mediashair app to allow playback of music and video files on your android/iOS portable devices.
-Serves up samba file shares for your truly network-enabled devices. On a rooted android device, provided the right samba support app, this can mean browsing and playback via the device's native apps instead of IOGEAR's mediashair app.

What it doesn't do well:
-It doesn't transcode, so if your device doesn't natively support playback of a given file type (.mkv on iOS devices, for example), you'll want to transcode your files to a compatible format.
-It suffers the same bitrate limitations as other wireless solutions, so playback of large video files can be problematic. You won't be streaming any 25-gig bluray rips, at least not without dropouts, pauses, and other performance issues. Although it supports larger file sizes, staying under the 4.5 gig mark for movies is advisable. This is acceptable, imho, for most portable playback devices, given a decent compression scheme is used.
on March 17, 2014
I'm one of those people who tend to update my reviews so doing this review just hours after I bought this device will just give you my initial thoughts and as they change I will post what makes them change. Also I did not buy this from Amazon. Amazon had the better price but I was able to buy this on a military base for $6 more and if I would have ordered it from Amazon sales tax would have been more than the difference in price, so I got it immediately for a dollar or two less.

So far setup has been a breeze. I have set it up on both an Android 4.1 device and a Windows 8 tablet. Used the app on Android set it up as a network drive on Windows 8. I tried streaming a few HD movies on the Android and at first had some lag, then switched media players which fixed the lag problem. Seems to play perfect. That was with only one connection but I can not complain, it will function for the most part for what I need it.

I will try it with three devices connected later as that will be the most I will probably use it with in my vehicle which is where this was bought to be used. This will give the family options on road trips and keep the 8 year old entertained when we are stuck someplace waiting for mom.

I bought this one over cheaper units doing the same thing because the others were from manufacturers I never heard of and this one seemed to have a little larger case with better ventilation. I read on so many people making a big deal about how small the others were but to me I know from experience in the past with routers having over heat problems sometimes you just need some air space. This is still small and will fit easily either in the shelf under the car stereo or the storage under my front seat armrest. I will mount it someplace with Velcro and it will be out of the way and forgotten. I'm going to hook a 1 GB WD portable hard drive to it and do the same as far as mounting it. I have a 5 port USB power supply in my car so it will be plugged in constantly. I will post something again in a few days or a week maybe after I get the new hard drive that will be dedicated just to this device and my car setup. So far I would recommend this device fully for anyone with multiple OS devices. If it works on iOS like it does on Android and Win 8 it is perfect.

**********
Ok, this is maybe 6 hours later than my first review. I set this device up in my living room. I connected two Android tablets 4.1/4.2, one Windows 8 tablet a Dell Venue 8 Pro, and one desktop PC running Windows 8 Pro 64 bit. All were connected wireless. All devices had Wireless N capability. All the devices connected at 150 Mbps except the Dell. Not sure why but it only connected at 54 Mbps even when it was the only device on. Any difficulties I had were with the OS or software on the devices and not MediaShair.

The problems ranged from the Dell only connecting at 54 Mbps to the media software on one of the Androids setting it up to hardware accelerate which caused video playback not to have sound. I own no Apple devices so I can't speak for how it works with them but once the glitches were figured out this device worked flawlessly.

I had all four devices streaming high resolution movies off of a 32 GB PNY flash drive with no lag. Now I did find some limitations in performance as far as range. The device seemed to be less consistent in connection around 15 feet under this 4 video streaming load. It didn't lose total connection but would lag at farther ranges. I really didn't test this to any degree because it is a task I never plan to ask this device to perform sense I am using it mostly in a automobile. I think it is perfect for that or to share in a hotel room.

Range may be better under other conditions it was less than 5 feet from my dual band router. I live in an apartment building where I can detect at least 6 other networks at any given time; so there is the possibility of interference. I think this device worked splendidly for what my purpose is and from what I have seen it seems more than capable to deliver on its description.

I will update if anything changes or I discover something new.
on March 24, 2014
Verified Purchase
After the initial installation process and transferring files, accessing was relatively easy. I would not recommend this as a replacement for your music on your device since you can't play music continually or even by play list. It is very cumbersome to use as music player and definitely NOT if you play music while driving as I usually do. If I just needed add'l storage for photos or files, I could see it being very beneficial.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 10, 2014
Verified Purchase
I love the idea of this product, it's great in theory. I have used up all my space on my iPad so thought this would be the perfect way to keep all my media on memory cards or a USB flash drive to access on all my devices. However the complicated thing is getting the right format so that my iPad can read it. It's all my stuff from iTunes so I don't see why once I transferred it to the memory card now my iPad cannot read it. I literally spent hours reading the entire manual I downloaded online (it tells you how to set it up and download and upload on to the card but no where does it mention what format everything needs to be for your iPad to read it and play back). So incredibly frusterating! I sooo wanted it to work, but guess you have to be more advanced technologically than I am to figure it out.
on August 17, 2014
Verified Purchase
Bottom line: Very nice for the price but still far from perfect. Lots of improvement opportunities! The good news is, the developers are still pushing software updates (as of July 2014).

This gadget consists of multiple components:
- A Wifi NAT router and AP (Yes, it actually does NAT not Wifi bridging (different IP subnet internal to device)
- A Samba server (according to the admin web interface that is what it is) for network mounting SD cards and USB drives
- A web (service) interface for administration from a browser
- A companion app for IOS and Android utilizing to the web service interface and for mounting the Samba shares on the mobile devices.
- A battery charger/pack

The iOS and Android apps have pretty much feature parity and allow you to do the following (at this point):
- Load files on mobile devices, like playing video or music
- copy files between mobile devices and storage devices plugged into the hub. There are some iOS-inherent restrictions there in terms of which files can be accessed.
- Manage the files on the storage devices via app or web interface

That works with the following shortcomings:
- no way to restrict write access to the storage devices, only one user (admin) from the app. I have a 3y old and she might erase the storage device (will try to set read-only flag on files and see if that is honored by the hub).
- apps feel clunky, usability could be much improved
- on iOS it is not clear how you can open content in a 3rd party app.
- some settings available in the web interface are not exposed in the app
- DRMed content from iTunes or Google Play cannot be stored on this device - pretty clear if you think about it.

Tip: I had problems opening some .m4v movies in the iOS app. Gave those files a .mov extension and it worked.
My main use case is to connect a 2.5in SATA SSD in a USB enclosure to it and use it for movie storage on (road) trips. Managing videos over multiple iPads with different storage restrictions in our family is tedious at best. This will hopefully eliminate most of the on-device content (except for those DRMed movies) and centralize it. Also, for those hotels abroad that don't have WiFi but Ethernet based Internet, it will be great.

Overall, for under $60 this is a steal.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 14, 2014
My primary reason to get this was to augment a 16gb iphone 5s for offloading images/video while travelling to keep phone drive as light as possible. Worked perfectly for this purpose with the handy dandy ios app . Also before leaving for my travels, I downloaded a mess o' music (and contrary to another's review was able easily to download into playlists, perhaps iogear has re-designed this since that review?). Once back home it did take a bit of mental jujitsu even with provided manual to figure out the interface between phone to laptop and hub (probably my travel addled brain), but ultimately figured it out. The web based laptop accessed interface as someone else mentions is oddly retro-looking (compared to the app) but as clunky looking as it is, works fine. But iogear also enables one to access stored media by shared drive means, so this worked for me since I wasn't going to touch and work with the images seriously until I returned to a larger screen :0). I had no success using the hub as a travel router in hotels, but suspect that might have been due to internal hotel IT security rather than a flaw in the device. Even @ home while I can join the hub network, I can't do anything other than accessing the mediashair files, but obviously at home it's an academic exercise to test this. For the record: I had close to 400 images, 5 short videos, 2 long form videos (15+ minutes length) plus about 600 music tracks and still only filled about 2gb of a 16gb card rendering the additional 32 gb card I brought as unneeded :0). I'll echo another's comment that it would be nice to have a % remaining for the battery level for the hub, but so far it's performed like a champ. Oh, as mentioned it came in very very handy several times when phone got very low in battery as the emergency charger; giving me enough juice to be in position to take more photos/video until I could get back to the room and do a full charge via wall outlet.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations