on February 9, 2014
<b>Good:</b>

Price and features make for a great value. Pictures are better than other low-end cameras.

Wired network connection allows quick configuration and setup prior to physical installation.

Android application finds camera automatically without DDNS configurations. - I was somewhat surprised to see this behavior since there are settings for this in the camera and all were disabled. The camera appears to use ultradns.org for this which is hosted on amazonaws even though nothing was setup in the configuration.

Worked great with a passive POE dongle using the supplied power supply. I'm sure there is a voltage drop over too long of a distance. So, if the data cable run is more than probably 20m, I would use a real POE switchport with a splitter to 12VDC (2.1mm x 5.5mm)

<b>Bad:</b>

Manufacturer's version of English... When recording from the user interface, the display says, "Videoing..." In all of my years, I have not heard that verb used. There are many other instances of this throughout the UI. If you can get by with the obvious brutalization of the English language, then it's not so bad.

The IR LEDs on the front glow red. I'm sure this is to let you know they are on. It is an attention grabber; ergo not so stealthy. It also seems that they are either ON or OFF...but it doesn't happen automatically.

No tech specs showing design operational temperatures. However, I notice heat dissipation on the camera housing hanging below the pan dome. I hope this does not cause icing issues during snowfall. Time will tell...

Integration with NAS IP cam software is still not working. Trying to get a streaming feed from this camera is not happening. The only direct URL for access that I have found is [...]. It would be great to know if there is a rtsp:// resource on the camera.

Motion detection works, but there is no ability to look at only a portion of the image. The whole frame is used for detection. Just keep that in mind if you are only interested in looking at a specific area for motion.

Looks like you need BlueIris or IE with the activeX control in order to control all features of the camera. Someday the developers in Asia will figure out that not everyone loves Microsoft and they will extend the feature control through other methods, like html5.

<b>Ugly:</b>

Painfully slow pan/tilt. There is a setting for this speed with three selections, but the setting "fast" is relative. (Relatively slow that is)

No zoom control on Chrome or Firefox. I'm still looking for it on the Android app. It just doesn't show up. The iOS and IE control P2PIPC applications have this capability, but not everyone uses those products. This is a remote camera and I didn't want to have to use a PC with BlueIris or pay more for additional software. I was hoping to do it with my NAS.

Local Area Network traffic shows session requests from this camera to destination 1.0.0.1, which is not a valid IP that I can find anywhere.

Also mentioned in another review, dynamic dns configuration options point to many services in China. I would totally avoid that
setup.

It is necessary to contact customer service for a firmware upgrade. This should be a download on the distributor's website.

Settings are not persistent across reboot. When starting up, video settings are not maintained from the last configuration.

Device responds to a telnet request, but will not allow login using configured user or administrator accounts. This implies a backdoor to the camera exists for file and system manipulation. Again, no documentation is available to describe this.

<b>Summary:</b>

Great value with mid-tier picture performance. It outperforms many low-end cameras available in the same price range. With a few software quriks, it shows it's foreign roots. Without detailed documentation, to witness third-party traffic from the camera, it makes me question what other "easter eggs" might be hidden behind this seemingly well built exterior housing.

I will soon install outdoors and see how long it lasts. If it does good, I will buy another. Recommended for anyone with basic networking skills...just follow the very basic instructions and connect to the wired network to begin with. Good luck.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 28, 2014
Like anything you have to pay a little more for a better product. Since there is no globe covering the camera the picture is beautiful. My Blue Iris software runs the motion detection. The picture is HD when not running motion detection but either way it is really good. At night is a crystal clear image that allows you to see in pitch dark up to 20M. My driveway is 60 ft and I can see clearly to the end. I have it hard wired. Just because I can avoid connection drops, etc. This camera is worth the price. I've had this set up for nearly a month now. It has been through 2 snowstorms and low temps. Right now it is 6dg out. If you are not familiar with setting up an IP cam ask for help. If it is not set up properly you are going to get complaints about the picture and operation of the camera. If you do not have a strong wireless network where you are going to put this outside then I suggest it be hard wired. All IP cameras really need that signal strength.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 14, 2014
The image is much better than the 640 cameras I have on my system. The comments are correct that IE has better images due to the decoding. I use Blue Iris for my system. It does the native decoding well. The images are outstanding. I plan to add in another to my network.

I did have one small problem connecting to the camera. Customer support was great. After I sent in an email, I had a reply within an hour, and then did a follow up phone call. The problem turned out to be operator error. I needed to connect to port 99 on the camera. I guess I should have read all of the way through the instructions.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 23, 2014
I've been looking at it for months now. Finally pulled the trigger and got it all excited to add to my collection of my 16 other HD IP cams. Picture quality was in line with the advertised resolution 1280x720, so it was very good. As other reviewers posted the color is a little off but not by much, I basically left the default and it was fine.

Warning: Took me about an hour to figure this out, when setting up the admin account, for the passwords it doesn't like the "!" symbol. I reset the camera a dozen times locking myself out due to this, it's not in the instructions!!! Finally figured out my password contained characters the software does not like. So beware of special characters especially the "!" symbol.

After 2 days, the IR Cut filter went out, meaning the IR lights went on at night, but there is a mechanism in the camera lens that removes the IR filter to let in more infrared light. This works in conjunction with the IR LED's to help with illumination in darkness. At any rate, this IR Cut filter stopped working and at night with the IR lights glowing red, you could only see 1-2 feet in front of the cam.

Support was excellent 5 Stars.
1.I emailed support with a description my problem.
2.They responded quickly and ask to put it online so they can trouble shoot. 3.He called me back to answer a few more questions, this was not a tier 1 helpdesk script reader. Dave (technician) was very knowledgeable and professional, spoke perfect English, and was quick to try to fix the issue but unfortunately could not because it seemed like a hardware problem.
4.They had some other engineers try to resolve it remotely from China but were also unsuccessful.
5.They sent me out a replacement (a few Days later) with a pre paid shipping label to return the defective one.

I setup the new cam and it has been working great and I have not had any issue with it in the month that I've had it running. I recommend them to a few friends and they have had it a few months before i got it, and they all seem to like the quality as well.

Beware, there are others out there that have the same body style (mold) but the internal circuit boards and optics are different and of lesser quality. I buddy of mine got one a few dollars cheaper and it looks identical to this one, and when I helped him set it up, the box was generic, CD was a mini size not full size, and the antenna was smaller like a 3dbi, vs the one that came with mine which was a more powerful 7dbi. Took a while to get it going but it did still work, if it were me, I would stick with one that has the support to go alone so you can have peace of mine.
on May 18, 2014
I was really excited about this camera, as it was the first decent looking outdoor PTZ IP camera I could find, it had built-in wireless and infrared lighting, and was HD. When I received the camera, my first impressions were good. It looked well-made, the housing is of all metal construction (mostly aluminum, some steel) with a durable white finish. As I took it out of the box, I heard rattling inside the unit. Someone on the assembly line had had a bad day, and apparently just thrown the screws for the circuit board into the housing vs. screwing them in, and yet somehow this unit has a "QC Passed" sticker on it?

After replacing the screws, the unit worked well. I configured the camera for my wireless router, and mounted the unit outside. It worked without any issue for a month, and then the camera's picture would get *extremely* pixelated, to the point where you just could make out the shape of things. Going outside and power-cycling the unit seemed to clear this up temporarily. This happened for the next 2 months of owning the camera. Then, the camera stopped sending a picture entirely. The panning and tilting still worked, just no picture. For about a month, power-cycling would fix this issue as well, however now nothing can bring the camera back to life, including a factory reset. Amazon has been gracious enough to offer me a refund for the unit, so I will be sending it back. I'm very disappointed, and I don't think I will risk buying another IPCC product.

Also, I forgot to note, the "3X optical zoom" is actually more like a 1.1X optical zoom. It barely zooms in and out at all; the zoom is basically a useless feature on this unit.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 14, 2014
Easy to install, pretty straight forward if you have basic networking knowledge, nice sharp picture, stock wifi distance is decent. I have mine about 165 feet from a indoor router (next to window/ line of sight) and camera is outdoors. the camera shows 3 bars and 2 bars and sometimes drops out completely for a bit then comes back. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THIS ISSUE has nothing to do with the camera but the neighborhood wifi interference. only channel that works half way decent is chan 3. there is just to many stock cable routers/ retail routers ect in my area. And what is happening is that the channels overlap with others accross the street etc. my router is good but not strong enough to keep the signal solid. just ordered a outdoor AP that reaches 600ft + .

Great camera, awesome picture, decent distance, shipped very fast, packaged nicely. The only thing that could be improved is the speed the ptz truns. even on its fastest setting it turns slow. Would and will buy many more of these.
on May 14, 2014
The thing is built like a tank. All cast metal construction, PTZ works well, software straight forward. Will run on a passive POE injector. The best part was the support staff. I had a few questions and Dave at IPCC was fantastic. Usually at the low price point of the scale support is nonexistent but for this I was pleasantly surprised to be steller.
on January 16, 2014
Bought this Wanscam HW 0025 off of ebay a few months ago from a Wanscam in China, I have had no problems using it, the pictures is 720p and is very good, It has IR so up to 40 mm and the picture is really good even in pitch dark. The computer program is ok and pretty easy to use. I have a couple of videos of it on utube under Wanscam HW 0025
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 27, 2014
I have two 7210W cameras and x5 (non IPCC) 3MP bullet cameras on my system.

Setup is clean and finding them using the IPCam Search tool is quick.

I did have issues connecting to my wireless router and it was recommended (not from IPCC) that I upgrade the firmware from the IPCC site. The issue wasn't with the camera but that b/g protection was enabled on my wireless router. As soon as I disabled this, the (second) camera was able to detect WiFi SSIDs. Support request response was very quick (even on 12/25/14) and had a remote session with David K early the next day to downgrade the firmware (first camera) to the original which was painless (thanks again David K.).

Works great wired or wireless (2.4GHZ). Currently they are both Wireless and have the fps at 12.50 in Blue Iris and no issues so far. (Blue Iris 4.0 is out with a 64- bit version and you definitely want to upgrade especially if running a 64 bit OS to make max use of your RAM).

Pan Tilt speed: Really which this could be faster, especially when going to a preset. The PTZ speed setting on Fast isn't fast as compared to other PTZ cameras I work with.

Color: Default settings are washed out a bit but you can of course adjust the settings.

IR distance of advertised 20M is right on. The 40 LED lights make it look like something out of a space movie at night which may help as a visual deterrent :-).

x3 Optical Zoom: It's only x3 so don't expect to be able to zoom in on a license plate but for general zoom it's fine.

Ordered corner mounts for my house as well as POE Active Splitters (both can be ordered from IPCC) as if I can wire something vs wireless - I do.

Overall: Not a high end outdoor PTZ camera but is a great value for this price range and fits my needs perfectly (using the bullet cameras).
on July 13, 2014
Update to my previous review below...

In my original review, I mentioned trying to get POE working with this camera. The IPCC website lists a POE switch and a power injector as optional purchases, even though POE is not listed as supported in the device specs. Because of this and previous reviews in which other users mentioned powering the camera over Ethernet, I incorrectly inferred that meant the device could be powered via POE but that it wasn't listed in device specs due to poor documentation.

I also posted in the review that I had put in a support request through the IPCC website but had never received a reply. After posting the review, I got a call from a knowledgeable and helpful guy named Dave from IPCC. Apparently there is/was a problem with their website's "leave a message for support" function, so they didn't get my original support request and so never called me back.

Dave confirmed that the camera indeed does NOT support POE. However, he spent at least a half hour with me talking about options. Dave explained to me how a POE switch or power injector in conjunction with a power splitter can be used to power the switch. So after ordering the splitter from IPCC and hooking it up, it does indeed work as Dave explained. It's still my opinion that the documentation is horrible, but at least I now have a camera that doesn't need to be plugged into a nearby outlet, and an education in POE splitters.

I'm increasing my rating to 3 stars for now, and may bump it up to 4 stars after re-testing the wireless video and PTZ control quality. Once finally installed, I plan to use the camera hard-wired, so the wireless quality is not really important to me, but I would like to know that it is there and works well in case I end up needing it someday.

Thanks again Dave for your help.

---------------------

Previous review from Brett W says his camera works with POE -- doesn't work with mine. I connected to an injector as well as a true POE switch, tried using multiple full pin-out Ethernet cables. No luck. Camera specs don't state POE support, despite the IPCC webstore prompting for optional purchase of POE switch / injector / splitter accessories (http://www.ipcam-central.com/IPCC-7210W-White-p/ipcc-7210w.htm).

Email to IPCC support 5 days ago has gone completely unanswered. Would love to find out I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

With the DC power supply, and connected to the network over Ethernet, camera has a good picture and controls are responsive. Connected to the network over WiFi the controls are practically unusable and the picture is terrible -- drops at least half the frames.

So if your use case is Ethernet and you have a power outlet close by, might work fine for you. But I would suspect there are better options out there -- why pay for the WiFi feature when it is mostly unusable? And if you have to use Ethernet, then you might as well get a camera that supports POE.

Bottom line, horrific documentation, terrible support, misleading product web site (POE), and a key feature that barely even works (Wifi). Oh, and the supplied software is mediocre at best.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations