5.0 out of 5 stars The Reign of Terror has ended!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:52 Mins
After almost half a year being terrorized by the kitten from hell, this IRIS 3-Tier Cat Cage has rescued me! I named my black kitten Sony, after my love for their brand of shiny, black, quality electronics. Imagine my broken heart when I came home to a scratched up 55" inch Bravia, courtesy of the little devil.

A few complaints:...
Published on January 10, 2011 by iitalix

3.0 out of 5 stars IRIS vs Cat Playpen
This cage is made with heavier material than the Cat Playpen by Midwest Homes that I also have.
The IRIS has the bottom attached to the cage part so when litter or anything is spilled you have to unlatch and remove the cage to clean. The Cat Playpen has a slide out tray in the bottom.
Published 19 months ago by Kathrine Jenkins

5.0 out of 5 stars The Reign of Terror has ended!, January 10, 2011
Length:: 0:52 Mins

A few complaints:

1. The box it came in looked like it had fought with a trash compactor and lost. Holes everywhere, corners severely frayed, shipping tape coming off it, almost unsealed! Had I not been so desperate to contain the handmaiden of Satan tearing up my apartment, I would've sent it back immediately.

2. The instructions don't clearly tell you how to use the wire fasteners. I was frustrated for a good 30 - 45 minutes trying to figure out how to get them to work properly. Once I figured it out, however, the rest was smooth sailing.

So eager was I that I had the 2nd floor of the cage backwards! But this was a small setback; once you figure out how to fasten and unfasten the rest of the assembly is a cinch! Should've taken me about 30 mins to setup, had I not been fiddling with the fastener for so long!

The GREAT NEWS:

Once assembled, I locked Sony in it. He clawed, he climbed, he dug, he chewed; but his attempts at escape were FUTILE! MWAHAHAHA! He has since given up his fight, and is sleeping in it as I type this.

This cage is HUGE. It is taller than me (I am 5'6" with shoes on). To put it into perspective, I have a large enclosure type litter on the bottom floor, food and water on the 2nd floor, and a bed and scratching post on the top floor. My kitten is a big guy and can leap onto kitchen counter tops without a head start, so he's comfortable leaping from floor to floor.

It is VERY sturdy! Sony jumped onto the wall of the cage; I'm sure that in his conniving and terrorizing kitten mind, he had imagined it would tip over. It did NOT. The IRIS 3 Tier Cage held its ground!

I have had this cage assembled for the passed 3 hours. I am convinced that it is worth every penny I spent on it, and I only wish that I had trusted my instincts and bought this BEFORE trusting my kitten to my apartment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, Attractive, Inexpensive Crate - Perfect, January 26, 2010
Kagome USA (The American South) - See all my reviews
This review is from: IRIS Wire Cat Cage, Silver (Misc.)
I love the crate. It is exactly what I wanted, and really sturdy and nicely constructed. I'd be surprised if you can find anything much nicer - no matter how much you pay for it. The fact that this crate is inexpensive only adds to its appeal!

My husband and I set it up together (no tools needed) in a half-hour, and it looks nice in our family room. I really like that the two plastic shelves have wire trays underneath them for extra support and security, although they do make a loud sound when the cat jumps on them. I love the drop-pin locks on the doors, which are so easy to use. From the picture, I thought this crate was white, and so anyone considering it should be aware that the cage itself is metal (silver), with off-white trays. I will post a picture that makes the color more apparent.

I work in animal rescue and have used a lot of different kinds of cat crates; this is a perfect choice for someone who is looking for a stationary crate, either in their home or a store, that will be set up and remain set up (which is how I am using it). It would not be a good portable crate because it is heavy and has small parts. It does have wheels on the bottom, though, so it is easy to move around a room once set up.

I would buy this crate again in a heartbeat. It was exactly what I wanted, and at this price, it's truly a steal. I have absolutely no reservations in recommending this HIGHLY!!!

UPDATE 01/2014:

They now sell a white version of this crate, so if that is what you are looking for, check the color labels on the crates. In every other way, this crate has stood up to the test of time, and I will be purchasing a second!!! We will also be tracking down some foam pads to put under the trays, as was recommended by other viewers to muffle the sound of the cats jumping.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful cat structure - suggest modifications to make 5 star, November 13, 2010
This review is from: IRIS 3-Tier Wire Cat Cage, Silver (Misc.)
We love this cat structure and so do our cats. First thing we did was to take suggestion to get think yoga mat and cut to shape to place under the shelves so they don't rattle and startle the cats when they jump up. The next thing we did was to use wires ties to secure the shelves to the wire supports they rest upon. That keeps the shelves from flipping out of their supports. The final step we took was to put a couple of wire ties to reinforce the clips at the base of the wire upper structure. We couldn't be happier with the outcome. It is attractive and secure.

3.0 out of 5 stars IRIS vs Cat Playpen, May 5, 2013
Both are on wheels and move easily and about the same size. The IRIS only has 2 large doors compared with the 4 the Cat playpen has (2 side by side on each level which with both open to about a 2 foot square.
The Cat Playpen is easily folded to the size of a card table for storage the IRIS does not fold, It has to be dismantled.
The IRIS has a bigger footprint which gives more room on the levels than the Cat Playpen.
After having then both for semi feral cats, I prefer the Cat Playpen for it's ease in cleaning, the four doors and the ability to fold it for storage.

5.0 out of 5 stars so far so good, April 19, 2010
Bij "Bijou" (South by south) - See all my reviews
This review is from: IRIS Wire Cat Cage, Silver (Misc.)
I purchased this product after reading a number of reviews on different but similar cages offered by Amazon. It has taken me years to get to this point but I purchased the cage primarily to keep my male cat confined when I am not at home. Basically he has a behavioral issue and pee's everywhere-but in the box. We've tried everything (including a number of medical tests to make sure it's not physical) and this was the last resort. That said, I do not plan on keeping him confined 24/7. I work at home and am around most days and he's free to wander as long as I can keep an eye on him.
I put him in the cage yesterday and today to gradually get him used to the idea. Here are some good points about the product:
1) Really easy to put together and take apart. My partner did it all by himself in less than 30 minutes without tools. I am pretty sure I could have put this together without help-but he wanted to do it.
2) The floor is slightly sunken and makes for very easy clean-up. It's also plastic and durable.
3) It is very sturdy and pretty roomy. My cat is big (12 pounds) and the shelf insert supported him without a problem.
4) The cage has wheels and can be easily moved from place to place.
At this point I have no negative things to say about this product.
I'm not sure how my cat would rate this product (probably no stars), but he seems comfortable and only made a minor fuss today. His lack of fuss is actually pretty telling because he's an extremely fussy cat.

May 15th update
Amazingly bart (my kitty) doesn't seem to mind the cage at all. He seems fine with idea and even likes to go into the cage and sleep with the door open.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life-saver, March 4, 2010
This review is from: IRIS 3-Tier Wire Cat Cage, Silver (Misc.)
Let me start by saying that I was extremely skeptical about buying this cage, because I had purchased another one on amazon, and it ended up being of such poor quality that my cat got his paw stuck in it and he suffered permanent damage. If it hadn't been for the photos that another buyer had submitted, I don't think I would have been convinced by the positive reviews.
That being said, I have had the cage for over a month now, and could not be more satisfied with it. It is easy to clean and extremely roomy. It easily fits a good-sized litter box, bed and food and water bowls. The only downsides to this product are the fact that it is somewhat difficult to assemble (it took me several hours), and that it can be very loud when cats jump from level to level (a by-product of the fact that there is extra support underneath the shelves). I can't believe that there could possibly be a better product on the market, though.
I recommend it very highly!

5.0 out of 5 stars That is one giant cage!, March 2, 2011
This review is from: IRIS 3-Tier Wire Cat Cage, Silver (Misc.)
I ordered The three tier cage (for two cats) thinking the cage was going to be a lot smaller. I was worried about how the cats were going to do and whether or not the cage would be worth my time and money. Well it was!

Pros:
This cage is very study! It make move a little if the cat scratches himself or jumps to another tier other than that small movement this cage could stand up to anything! It is very tough and durable I am sure it could even work as a traveling cage. Though I don't know many people that take cats on vacation but I would want to!

The cage is reversible! This was one thing that I was worried about. One of the doors was right up against my hanging closet, so in other words it was never going to open. I did a quick switch and the door is now on the other side of the cage and I can still reach the cat in the upper tier.

The tiers are large! I was looking at other cages for my cats and they were so small of levels. I thought they would just fall off! These levels fit two cats. I placed a Kuddle Kup Faux Suede for Cats - 23" x 18" - Sage on each level and it fit beautifully!

You can add many levels or expand your cage! If you have time and talent you could easily expand the cage for more tiers or or space. The set up of the cage is so simple that each of the parts could be used elsewhere and put together differently. Though you would have extra parts left you easily could create your own cats paradise.

Most litter boxes will fit! Now if you have a litter box with a top on it it most likely will not fit but any litter boxes that do not have a lid fit easily in and out of the large bottom door.

The doors have a very good latch system! The doors are shut using pins that can even function to hold the door open so you don't have a swinging door.

It has wheels! My goodness this saved my life. This thing is heavy and if it didn't have wheels there was no way I would have been able to drag this. The wheels also have stoppers which work wonders so the cage doesn't move at all.

Cons:

It is expensive! I guess you are paying for the sturdiness of the cage but my goodness it that expensive! But I'd say well worth the safety of my kitties!

The bottom door is huge! I mean HUGE! So you would have to have enough space around the bottom to be able to open and close it. Also the bottom door does no have a place to hold it open so it may get in the way.

It is HUGE! This was one of the main problems when I got it home. It was tall and bulky. So with easy maneuvers i managed to fit it in my room. If you are looking for a cage to fit in a perfect little spot make sure to check the measurements and an an inch around just to be safe! This is NOT a small cage.

With all that aside this cage was amazing and had great elbow room for my kitties! I will be adding pictures to show how I set up my cage and how much room it gives them. I am very please with my purchase and plan to buy another one!

4.0 out of 5 stars More pleased with them, nicer in real than the picture presents them!, November 1, 2009
"Tee" (Mississippi) - See all my reviews
I am satisfied with my purchase. These cages are well made and easy to put together, yet very strongly made. I was very surprised that they were nicer that I was expecting for such a reasonable price. I bought 3 of them and I'm using them for exotic shorthair persians adults as their time out place at night or if I leave my home. They all seem very comfortable in them and seem to like them too! If you are looking for a cage, do not HESITATE to make this purchase. You can trust and I guarantee, you will be another happy customer!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good for the Money, October 23, 2010
Solid product and a reasonable price. Looks good in my living room. Plenty of room for my 2 cats to hang out in. I keep their food and water in there to reduce room clutter and floor messes/spills. I live in an apartment and sometimes the exterminator comes for inspections or maintenance spraying (typically when I'm at work). This has been a wonderful solution for me as I can put my cats in there and close the door before I head out on such a day.

The only reason that I knocked off a star is that the assembly directions were a little vague on how to snap in place the fasteners. Not that there's many, but I wish the plastic parts were numbered/lettered or that the pictures were larger/more clear. I'm not a handy person, so I need all the help that I can get putting things together. But really it was not too hard to assemble overall.

I recommend this product without reservation! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Big cage and cat loves it., August 6, 2012
This review is from: IRIS 3-Tier Wire Cat Cage, Silver (Misc.)
We bought this cage to put in our (finished) basement mostly for one reason. To keep the dang cat from waking us up every morning around 5am. She had been doing this for months, meowing loudly in the hall until someone got up. She woke up our baby almost every morning at 5 with her meows, which makes for a long grumpy day with baby.

We've had the cage now for about 4 weeks, and the cat likes being in there at night. She waits by the cage door when we shut down our computers, and she knows it is bedtime.

My only complaint about the cage would be that one door had a broken hinge when we received it. But to the company's credit, they shipped a replacement panel at lightning speed.

Also the packaging was completely in an asian language. We were paranoid about lead with the track record China and Hong Kong has so we bought a lead test kit, and are happy to report that we didn't find any lead in the parts we tested!

IRIS 3-Tier Wire Cat Cage, Silver