4.0 out of 5 stars Must Handle With Care When Adding New 40lb Bag
I bought this 7 months ago, and it was great. 2 days ago I got a disappointing lesson that you cannot let a 40 lb bag drop into the container. You have to completely lower it in, or the bottom of the container will break off, unable to take a direct drop.

Published on December 2, 2007 by Vivian Gendernalik

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a tight seal
This did not keep ants out. I had to throw out thirty pounds of expensive dog food.
Published on March 10, 2010 by A. E. High

4.0 out of 5 stars Must Handle With Care When Adding New 40lb Bag, December 2, 2007

It had performed so well otherwise, that it hadn't crossed my mind that could occur. I had been working very long hours and was too exhausted to use my physical strength to gently lower in the new bag and I just let it drop and was surprised to hear a big crack as the bottom broke.

Next time I am that tired, I will wait until I am rested enough to gently lower the bag, because after all it is only plastic. For the price, it can't be beat.

I went ahead and ordered a replacement because it works great otherwise, keeping the food fresh and making it very easy to cart around a 40lb bag. It has held up great all that time until I thoughtlessly just dropped a 40lb bag into it. I wish it came with a hardier bottom, but then again, it wouldn't cost as cheaply if it did. So be warned: the bottom breaks off if you let a heavy bag of kibble fall into it, and so you must take care lowering the bag in.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a tight seal, March 10, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars exactly what i wanted, March 27, 2008
T. Baldwin (Atlantic County, NJ) - See all my reviews
This product was exactly what i needed! It easily holds a 30 lb bag of food and keeps it air tight and fresh. I have two of these containers because my two dogs eat different food - both are small so those 30 lb bags last a long time and I really needed something to keep their food fresh!!! It's lid flips straight up so you have plenty of room to scoop.

**EDIT**

In response to comments - I think it depends on the size of the kibble. When I first purchased this, a 30lb bag did fit. After we switched to a larger kibble it took 1 1/2 bins to hold my 30lb bag. We have recently switched to another food and a 30lb fits with room to spare. So keep in mind how much air space your kibble will leave when ordering.

4.0 out of 5 stars This food container is exactly what I was looking for, May 1, 2009
I spent months searching for a food container to store my dog's food in. I could not find a container that fit all of my criteria. I decided to order this product from Amazon and see if it worked for me. So far, so good! I am very pleased with the item that arrived and here's why:

- You can see the food through the container. At a glance I know how much food my dog has and when it's time to refill.
- It holds a little over 30 lbs. of kibble. (I believe the last bag I bought was 33 lbs. and it fit perfectly).
- Despite holding over 30 lbs. of kibble it takes up little space, which is important to me as I have a tiny kitchen.
- The wheels on the bottom of the container make moving the container (even when full) around my house a breeze. Now I can scoot the container out of the way to clean.
- The wide opening at the top of the container made mixing kibbles while switching brands of kibble easier.
- Reasonably priced. In my experience, it is often cheaper than the food containers you can find in pet stores.
- This container has done a fantastic job of keeping insects like ants out of the kibble. After losing $60 worth of kibble to an ant invasion, I REALLY appreciate this!
- In addition to holding 33 lbs. of kibble, this container has no problem holding a 9 lb. snoozing cat atop the lid.

The one downside I've found is that larger bags of kibble may not fit in the container **while still in the bag** due to the shape of the container. The big bags of kibble will get stuck a few inches from the bottom. If the bag is new and full the container may not close. So if you're planning on buying a 30+ lb. bag of kibble and you don't want to toss the bag, you might want to go a size up in containers. Otherwise, dump the kibble into the container and ditch the bag. (If you're worried about keeping track of when the food expires, try copying the expiration date from the bag onto a sticker. Put the sticker on the outside of the container.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Storage, January 11, 2007
This is a great storage container. The wheels is what makes the diffrence on this product. You are able to move up to 55 pounds with the littlest effort. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps pet food fresh, February 21, 2010
M Misturado (Jacksonville, NC) - See all my reviews
I bought the 21-23qt for cat food and 45-47qt for dog food. The 21-23qt holds a 16lb bag of friskies just fine, and the 45-47qt almost holds a 44lb of dog chow with a little left over (especially since I tend to add a new one before the old is completely gone). But I have 3 dogs so the left over is usually gone within a day or two.

It holds the smell in as well, as I haven't had any problems with any of the pets trying to eat their way through, and let me tell you my pets act like they haven't had a meal in years and WILL get into food.

I love that the large 45-47qt has rollers so I can easily bring it to the dogs' bowls and fill them without breaking my back. Careful filling it with a 40+lb bag by yourself, as it tends to try to roll away!

Perfect for my needs!

1.0 out of 5 stars Wheels break off, January 4, 2007
H. Larsen (Southfield, MI USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased two of these containers for holding dog food. I had the same problem with both units. The plastic around the casters broke, causing them to fall off. I won't be buying any more like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars just what the pet food asked for., May 7, 2007
This is a great product. I now own 3. One holds 50 lbs of black oil sun flower seed and one holds 50 lbs of dry dog food and the last 50 lbs of millet. Even loaded it move easily on my cement floor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for food storage!, February 27, 2010
I know these are supposed to be for pet food but I use them for food storage. I keep my flour, rice and sugar in one each of these. It's air tight, it rolls and fits under my cabinets in my pantry!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a happy camper, May 20, 2011
Within 2 weeks of purchasing the wheels snapped off in the back. There is no way to fix or replace them as the plastic socket for the castors broke. I will not purchase another one like this.

IRIS Airtight Pet Food Container, Navy Blue, 69 Quarts