1,229 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product.
Published on March 14, 2010 by Blazer

2.0 out of 5 stars Use a liner or forget it
Published on July 25, 2009 by S. Saint-Pierre

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product., March 14, 2010
This review is from: IRIS Open-Top Litter Box with Shield and Scoop (Misc.)
I have four cats and really like the convenience of having a scooper attached to each litter box. I also like this model because the sides are tall which helps keep litter spillage down but you don't have to remove the top to clean the box. Its great. Another reviewer said they had an issue with not being able to scoop well around the corners - if you buy a decent scoopable cat litter, this isn't an issue at all. I have four of these and highly recommend the product. It is a great value compared to the other options our there, too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Litter-ly a Good Box, March 24, 2012
This review is from: IRIS Open-Top Litter Box with Shield and Scoop (Misc.)
It's been cat tested .. and then tested ... and then ... oh my gawd what did you EAT? Tested. It works. My cats are all tall to mid-lard sized little heifers. I was having issues with 2 of them - Sammi the Weasel likes to stick her butt out the front of the box and pee all over the floor. Yoda Boda likes to dig a hole to China then scratch the walls down to fill said hole in (this goes on FOREVER) all while making sure everything in 20 foot radius is equally covered in litter for good measure, then he plunks his butt down right in the center to pee before bolting out like lightning just smacked him which serves his nefarious purpose of making litter trails across the entire house as he completely avoids touching down on the litter mats. Pepper Spray can contain herself and her bizniz to a box but she dislikes the openness of regular ones ... however she's a wee bit umm, FAT, for a regular hooded box.

I checked out the expensive pet stores (you know the ones!) and they did not have anything that would meet all 3 of my precious sugar woogums cow sized elimination habits. Then I ordered Iris CLH-12 Open-Top Litter Box with Shield and Scoop, installed it between my shower & human litter box and voila! Problems mostly solved. Sammi the Weasel can no longer shove her butt out the front edge, Pepper Spray doesn't look like an awkward fat-ass stuffed in a tiny box, and Yoda Boda isn't flinging excavation treasures like a Tasmanian devil all over the entire room.

The box lid is a little awkward because of the weird small area of where it barely clips onto the box. If you got sprayers or super high pee-ers, this will be a problem. It might accommodate bags easier than a regular hooded box, however I don't know that for sure, I haven't tried it with a bag yet since my demon-boy just shreds them into "sifter" bags anyway. He hasn't been able to ninja-kick it off yet, so yay!

The included scoop is SMALL, but it has a cool handle hook that allows it to hook onto the lid of the box or open-hood. But hey, the scoop is a bonus and what cat poop-scooping person doesn't already have like 5 of those things anyway?

The size is okay, its designed high not super lengthy or extra wide. It works, but it could be bigger which would make it more comfortable for my canine sized fur balls. Its only slightly wider than my regular litter box [very slightly]. If you are looking for a high sided wider one, check out one that looks like a baby bath tub (seriously it does), but you pretty much need fur balls with no litter box issues to brave a non-hood design [if you got one ... you could make a killing in breeding it!].

In short, if you need a hood with out the ceiling and don't have super high pee-ers/sprayers, this design will work. It's high enough to contain, but doesn't brush my butt and freak me out when I'm doing my bizniz either [its right beside my toilet, I'm not using the litter box I swear].

2.0 out of 5 stars Use a liner or forget it, July 25, 2009
S. Saint-Pierre "SuzetteSP" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: IRIS Open-Top Litter Box with Shield and Scoop (Misc.)
You get what you pay for, I don't think the designers of this box considered how we'd have to clean it. The two front inside corners of the box aren't square, they are indented about 1/2 inch, so if your kitty's pee is in the corner the scooper isn't going to fit to get it out! You can see in the picture itself that the corners shown on either side of the scooper have indentations that the scooper clearly won't fit in. So if your kitty likes to pee in the corners of the box as mine does, good luck getting the wet litter out. Bottom line, unless you use a liner and dump the whole box often you'll constantly be battling the saturated, smelly litter that is impossible to get out of the corners.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well for price, November 22, 2009
This review is from: IRIS Open-Top Litter Box with Shield and Scoop (Misc.)
I thought this litter box worked very well. My cat likes to throw the litter everywhere and this keeps him from doing that except he still throws it out the front which is why we got a kitty mat. Its easy to snap together and snap apart to clean. Corners are a little hard to scoop but with a clumping litter, cleaning is easy. Love the litter scooper that comes with it. It snaps onto the side very easily so you dont have to set it on the floor. However, I prefer to use a metal scooper Duranimals DuraScoop Cat Litter Scoop (colors may vary) as it holds more and makes cleanup easier. This litter box fits PERFECTLY in the Merry Pet Cat Washroom / Night Stand Pet House and keeps litter from getting all over the inside. I will most definitely be purchasing more of these in the future.

1.0 out of 5 stars I Really wanted These to work Out, Ordered Two, Had to Throw Out, October 1, 2011
This review is from: IRIS Open-Top Litter Box with Shield and Scoop (Misc.)
Moved to new Apartment, and was tired of the cats kicking Cat litter all around the boxes. Plus, a couple like to urinate standing with a spray motion, causing floor and carpet disaster (I have three cats ranging in age from 8 to 18). I thought this Litter Box would be the Answer, well reviewed here and on other sites. So I ordered two.

My first initial impression - wow, these are small. I called Amazon CS, and decided to give them a try anyway. The cats adapted (but I had to bring in the larger old pan for the bathroom, my biggest kitty is around 16 to 17 pounds). I had purchased two 25 bags of kitty litter for the transition, and was saddened to see that kitty litter is slipping through the sides where the shield attaches to the base.

The shield snaps on in only two spots along the sides. The corners and back molding does not match exactly the molding of the base. This also caused urine to drip out of the sides onto some towels I placed on the floors (thank god). By the second day, I requested a refund.

Decided to use cut out storage bins (home made litter boxes). The cats have adapted to their new toilets. They aren't perfect for tracking in the front, but nothing gets over the sides, and they are still easy to keep clean (PS, I personally didn't have TOO much trouble keeping the corners clean with the Iris Litter Boxes, the smaller scoops came in handy for that, and I used a larger scoop for the rest of the litter).

Cannot recommend unless small cats or kittens.

2.0 out of 5 stars Multiple Defects - Give it a pass, November 28, 2010
This review is from: IRIS Open-Top Litter Box with Shield and Scoop (Misc.)
1) Bottom front corners are not rounded - difficult to clean.

2) Lid does not lock firmly to pan. Cats bump it askew easily, leading to a mess.

3) Large product label on the front cannot be removed without huge effort. One of those labels that shreds when you try to peel it.

4) Too small.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice-looking, but flawed design, March 22, 2010
This review is from: IRIS Open-Top Litter Box with Shield and Scoop (Misc.)
While this litterbox is very nice-looking, the indentations in the front of the box trap wet litter, making it difficult to clean. And the shield definitely keeps litter from being kicked out the sides of the box--however, it traps a lot of that litter between the shield and the box! Combine that with the pan being exactly at the height of my tallest cat's rear end, and there is a whole lot of mess to clean up (soaked clumping litter stuck in the entire front of the box). I am waiting until all the litter in it is used up, then I'm going to clean it VERY thoroughly and see if I can use it as a snake water dish or something. It's really just of no use as a litterbox.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent for older adult male cats, March 4, 2010
jfh (MN, USA.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: IRIS Open-Top Litter Box with Shield and Scoop (Misc.)
I have an older neutered male cat who still "sprays" when he urinates, raising his hind quarters higher and higher--and he recently started disliking his "standard" covered litter box that he'd used for years. Uncovered was OK--but the spraying when he urinated was messy. He didn't want even a larger covered box--so I tried the IRIS High shield litter pan.

He's settled in well to using this one. Most importantly, the sides are high enough to contain his spraying. Now, if I could just train him to walk in and turn around and not spray out the door, i'd be completely happy. As it is, I am more than satisfied.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy, January 7, 2012
This review is from: IRIS Open-Top Litter Box with Shield and Scoop (Misc.)
I ordered this litterbox because one of my cats is a "high pee-er" and I thought this would be perfect. Well, it's not. As other reviewers have stated, urine gets between the two parts and can get out. The even bigger issue, in my view, is that the bottom is not flat so it is hard to clean out the sides and mostly also the corners. The included scoop is tiny making it impossible to use.
In short, this box seems like a great deal, but there are other boxes out there that are not much more expensive and work better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Large enough for my BIG Maine Coon Cat, March 22, 2010
This review is from: IRIS Open-Top Litter Box with Shield and Scoop (Misc.)
Finally found a big enough covered cat litter box for my 12 pound cat. And no she isn't obese.. They are known as the gentle giants, but the other standard litter box (which I have), althought fine it didn't quite work for her.. Glad I found this extra large one.

IRIS Open-Top Litter Box with Shield and Scoop